Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

I got this too yesterday and now my watch fails to show any notifications at all. I even reset the watch entirely and they worked for about a day and i'm back to no notifications.

My hwatch1 does this sporadically, the issue is not with the watch, it's the android wear app. Clear data and cache and reset the watch. Afterwards it should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Pebble Steel is, well, nearly 3 years old. Its getting about time for something a bit more modern. Is there anything out there that can deliver even at least a few days battery life per charge?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 13, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

My Pebble Steel is, well, nearly 3 years old. Its getting about time for something a bit more modern. Is there anything out there that can deliver even at least a few days battery life per charge?

There's the fitbit blaze which is likely what they made after buying pebble. With all the bullshit health tracking stuff it's hard to tell if it's a good smartwatch, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rexxed posted:

There's the fitbit blaze which is likely what they made after buying pebble. With all the bullshit health tracking stuff it's hard to tell if it's a good smartwatch, though.

My wife just bought this yesterday. Seems better than Wear 2.0 already to me. There are reports of it losing connection with Pixels so we'll see but right now it's more useful for notifications than her ZenWatch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rexxed posted:

Ionic, the Blaze is a pile of poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My bro has a blaze, hates it. The charger is a pos and he's had to replace it twice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

There are reports of it losing connection with Pixels

Does anything work right on the fanboy phone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

codo27 posted:

I've had no issues with mine. On my Turbo 2 my Style would lose connection 3-4 times a shift at work but no problems with the Pixel 2.

And since that's my experience clearly it's true for everyone :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

Does anything work right on any phone?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Literally every phone has problems and if you disagree you're an actual idiot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally every phone has problems and if you disagree you're an actual idiot.

Preaching to the choir brother. I loving hate phones. I just find it funny how the Pixel (and everything else officially Google) is praised but every day I read about some other major problem with the Pixel 2. I wish they'd just release the Nexus 4 again with a great camera. Everything about that phone, especially design wise was perfect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

Preaching to the choir brother. I loving hate phones. I just find it funny how the Pixel (and everything else officially Google) is praised but every day I read about some other major problem with the Pixel 2. I wish they'd just release the Nexus 4 again with a great camera. Everything about that phone, especially design wise was perfect.

I mean...no one really claims the Pixel and other Google stuff is perfect. It just sounds like people are rubbing you the wrong way.

Regardless this isn't the thread for that discussion.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anything fitbit is a waste for me really. I guess its probably hard to get anything without the fitness trackers though is it? I'd like to keep the cost down as well. The Ionic even if it was a good fit is 399 CAD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Lol I had a Pixel and Pixel XL and trust me, they really had their problems. People praise them for the same reason we praise the new Pixel: It's a fast, smooth, polished, ideal Android experience. Even with the 2XL screen issues, it's still a superb phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 2nd generation 360 just got some update today. Anyone else get this? What is it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I flashed my zw3 and revived it, so I'm back on this dead technology train

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

My 2nd generation 360 just got some update today. Anyone else get this? What is it?

If it didn't do anything obvious then it's "bug fixes and performance improvements".

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

I got this too, and would like to know as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Did the font size in notifications just get bigger for anyone else? I had the update that rebooted my HW1 a week or so ago but only noticed this as of this morning.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Did the font size in notifications just get bigger for anyone else? I had the update that rebooted my HW1 a week or so ago but only noticed this as of this morning.

Yep, happened to me today on my 360.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Turned out it was due to the app update. I'd read that was going to be possible moving forward, I guess that's what everyone's watch updates were preparing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Turned out it was due to the app update. I'd read that was going to be possible moving forward, I guess that's what everyone's watch updates were preparing.

These updates are cool, and good.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If they keep it up Android Wear 2.0 will soon be almost as good as Android Wear 1.5 was 2 years ago

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only thing I'm still missing from 1.5 is the notification peek. I also still think swiping to change faces is the dumbest use of that gesture possible, but that doesn't really bug me too much.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since my phone got the recent Wear app update, my watch hasn't gotten any notifications. Things like BeyondPod and Google Play Music still show their controls, but nothing for texts or emails. I've rebooted my watch already; anything else to try before resetting it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hooah posted:

Since my phone got the recent Wear app update, my watch hasn't gotten any notifications. Things like BeyondPod and Google Play Music still show their controls, but nothing for texts or emails. I've rebooted my watch already; anything else to try before resetting it?

Wipe the android wear app cache on your phone, on my hwatch it always sorted missing notifications(along with a phone reboot afterwards).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

The only thing I'm still missing from 1.5 is the notification peek.

Yeah but I'm really missing it, if you know what I mean. :(

Also maybe it's just me but the white on grey everything is just so goddamn horrible looking.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
My Pebble is dying, and I'd like to get a replacement smart watch. I really like the notifications, and wouldn't mind having a few more basic apps (ie controlling music etc).

I was thinking about getting a Zenwatch 3 or Moto 360 2nd gen, just because I like the way they look and they're on sale.

Are there other watches I should look at? Also, are wear 2.0 notifications annoying enough I should maybe be looking at Samsung Gear instead, or is it still decently usable?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

foutre posted:

My Pebble is dying, and I'd like to get a replacement smart watch. I really like the notifications, and wouldn't mind having a few more basic apps (ie controlling music etc).

I was thinking about getting a Zenwatch 3 or Moto 360 2nd gen, just because I like the way they look and they're on sale.

Are there other watches I should look at? Also, are wear 2.0 notifications annoying enough I should maybe be looking at Samsung Gear instead, or is it still decently usable?

As a fellow pebble refugee I've been (mostly) happy with the LG Watch Style for the past 6 months. It has a full color backlit LCD (or OLED I don't remember and idgaf outside of purchase time) so has to be charged everyday.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

foutre posted:

The bezel control system introduced by Samsung has been widely praised.

In the Android Wear world that means looking at the Misfit Vapor and Fossil Q Control (same internals, same company, just styling differences).

In the Samsung world you'd be looking at the Gear S3 Classic, Gear S3 Frontier, or Gear Sport. There's a Smartwatches that aren't Apple or Android thread if you'd like to ask current owners for opinions.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've had the Misfit Vapor for about a week now and I'd strongly recommend it if you're looking for a good looking, round, smartwatch. It'll take any 20mm band so I love the fact that I can essentially have a new watch everyday.

As an activity tracker it sorta blows, though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I've had the Misfit Vapor for about a week now and I'd strongly recommend it if you're looking for a good looking, round, smartwatch. It'll take any 20mm band so I love the fact that I can essentially have a new watch everyday.

As an activity tracker it sorta blows, though.

How's the battery life? I've been eyeing the vapor.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

looks like Target.com has the Misfit Vapor for $150, and I believe you can take an additional %15 off.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Think I'll go for the Vapor then, not too concerned about fitness tracking, and it sounds great otherwise. Thanks for the reccs!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

withoutclass posted:

How's the battery life? I've been eyeing the vapor.

Honestly it's not stellar. I put mine on at 4am this morning and just got home from work and it's at 33% which is fine for me but I've also disabled always on screen and don't use the activity tracker app. I ran it a full day with all the bells and whistles turned on and it was on battery saver mode when I got home. I guess I'd call it serviceable but if you're someone who is nervous about their devices dying on them it's probably gonna be the cause of some anxiety.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Honestly it's not stellar. I put mine on at 4am this morning and just got home from work and it's at 33% which is fine for me but I've also disabled always on screen and don't use the activity tracker app. I ran it a full day with all the bells and whistles turned on and it was on battery saver mode when I got home. I guess I'd call it serviceable but if you're someone who is nervous about their devices dying on them it's probably gonna be the cause of some anxiety.

That's disappointing. I was eyeing the Vapor as an upgrade from my HWatch, but as I'm approaching two years I still rarely see the battery saver come on in a normal 9a-midnight day with both radios and the display always on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

That's disappointing. I was eyeing the Vapor as an upgrade from my HWatch, but as I'm approaching two years I still rarely see the battery saver come on in a normal 9a-midnight day with both radios and the display always on.

Are you sure your battery meter is correct? I never see the battery saver on my 360/2 either, it just thinks there's 70% left when in fact there's zero. I actually don't know where it shuts off but I do know that after a day's use it thinks there's about 70% left and from there it won't last another five hours. As far as I can tell the battery meter is a complete fiction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my 360/2's battery meter doesn't work right either.

That said, if I charge it every night, I can get a full waking day out of it. That's really all I need.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I usually get a full day (7-9) out of my 360/2, but every so often it'll just die a couple hours early. I haven't done anything differently, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Has anyone else's 360/2 stopped going into desk clock mode while charging? Mine has now for three days, right when it got that last Wear update. The only way to make it work is to reboot it while it's on the charger and then only until I remove it.