Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Have they just worked out how to do asset swapping with other engines or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
My favorite Skyrim DLC was the one where your character was a quarterback in the new Madden.

They can throw all the money they want at the problem, nothing will make Noctis a good character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still can't believe they're pushing Noctis harder than Lightning.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

RareAcumen posted:

I still can't believe they're pushing Noctis harder than Lightning.

Tbf this game is still much better than XIII. And you guys already know how I feel about this game...

That said, I agree that Noctis barely qualifies as a character, much less a good one

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe part of the incentive is supposed to be letting Tekken fans beat the piss out of Noctis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can only assume that FFXV in general, and Noctis in particular, are much more well received in Japan than overseas.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The sunk cost fallacy does not exist to Square-Enix. They spent 10 years making this game, and need to get their money's worth.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well apparently the game broke even on development costs on the first 24 hours and has since sold 6.5 million copies (13 sold 6.6), so it's not like it didn't make them money.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Demicol posted:

Well apparently the game broke even on development costs on the first 24 hours and has since sold 6.5 million copies (13 sold 6.6), so it's not like it didn't make them money.

I don't know that much about game development. But if it's anything like film a huge chunk of the budget (maybe half) is devoted to marketing. Sometimes studios factor it in differently if they want to soften the blow of a box office bomb.

They definitely made money on this terrible game, but the dev costs might not include the thousands of stupid product tie-ins for which I'm sure they paid handsomely. Does anyone know how that works with games? I'm genuinely curious

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't believe we used to think the Coleman product placement was out of place

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

topiKal posted:

They definitely made money on this terrible game, but the dev costs might not include the thousands of stupid product tie-ins for which I'm sure they paid handsomely.

Isn't it the other way around? I would have thought Cup Noodle/Coleman/etc paid Square to advertise their poo poo in the game. Even the bizarre as hell Assassin's Creed festival thing struck me as a fumbling attempt by ubisoft to market the game in Japan via the proxy of a more popular game.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Demicol posted:

How did this happen? I'm pretty sure that was way more than the ffx number back when that LP happened. It just loving boggles my mind that this game was considered a success.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People just buy what they're familiar with. poo poo would sell if it was full of beetles.

Just a box full of beetles. If you download it your console explodes into a mass of beetles.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Maybe Square looked at the mess that was Fabula Nova Crystallis, specifically Agito/Versus and shrugged to the effect of "we salvaged games out of this."

They also have XII dev apparently working on something which could be XVI.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

goatface posted:

People just buy what they're familiar with. poo poo would sell if it was full of beetles.

Just a box full of beetles. If you download it your console explodes into a mass of beetles.

Fans are horrible horrible people.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

goatface posted:

How much is the season pass

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Noctis will probably be more fun to play in Tekken than in FFXV tbh

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Sydin posted:

Isn't it the other way around? I would have thought Cup Noodle/Coleman/etc paid Square to advertise their poo poo in the game. Even the bizarre as hell Assassin's Creed festival thing struck me as a fumbling attempt by ubisoft to market the game in Japan via the proxy of a more popular game.

This game was paired with a theatrical 'movie' so it's always been my assumption that these companies paid Square for their product's placement in either the movie or the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was it the film of the game? Because that sounds hilariously bad.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

goatface posted:

Events leading up to the beginning of the game. On release, there were almost no cutscenes and poor to no explanation for what is going on and who is involved. They expected you to watch a CGI feature length movie. That turned out to be a super bad idea and they have been patching in scenes from the movie since launch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such good game makers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goatface posted:

You know way back at the beginning of the game, where you're going to catch a boat and then that night you get some flashes of random images and wake up to find the kingdom has fallen? That was the movie.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You've almost been playing this game for a whole year and no progress is discernible :v:

Well, if you keep going, you'll be able to team up online!

https://samurai-gamers.com/final-fantasy-15-ffxv/ff15-comrades-patch-multiplayer/
https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/27/final-fantasy-15s-dlc-will-culminate-with-an-online-multiplayer-mode/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
loving hell how many more things are they going to bolt onto this dumb game?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

They’ve stated that they’re using XV as a testing ground for all the features they want to make standard in future mainline SE franchises.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

They’ve stated that they’re using XV as a testing ground for all the features they want to make standard in future mainline SE franchises.

I hope that includes Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

You know, SquareEnix turned into Japanese EA so gradually, I didn't even notice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
To be fair, they probably came up with that tekken tie-in a decade ago, when it was versus 13 or whatever.
I'm pretty sure that had an actual action battle system, rather than "hold ◯ to attack"

Anyway I hope you guys can wrangle some friends so we can see four notcises take on the mighty catoblepas

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bocc Kob posted:

You know, SquareEnix turned into Japanese EA so gradually, I didn't even notice.

I honestly would not be surprised if there ended up being a Star Wars expansion.

Maybe you could battle an AT AT Adamantoise.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I honestly would not be surprised if there ended up being a Star Wars expansion.

Maybe you could battle an AT AT Adamantoise.

Disney would first have to yank EA’s exclusive third-party license, which is certainly possible given the current climate.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 44: Tragic Beauty

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A lot of the photos toward the end of that contest thing looked like they had a bright glare on them. Was that glare on the screen in the game?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The next quest in Dino's line... :getin:

Enjoy the fuckpit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zenostein posted:

To be fair, they probably came up with that tekken tie-in a decade ago, when it was versus 13 or whatever.
I'm pretty sure that had an actual action battle system, rather than "hold ◯ to attack"

Anyway I hope you guys can wrangle some friends so we can see four notcises take on the mighty catoblepas

Versus 13 never had any combat system in place at all, so that's not likely.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"It gets good 20 hours in" - Guy who liked the combat from the start

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It makes it a lot worse when the NPCs are knowingly addressing Noctis as the prince in exile before asking him to collect beans and poo poo for them. They could've really easily spun it as like Noctis was cooped up in the palace all his life or something, so even though his kingdom's in ruins, this is still his first real chance to experience life on the outside with most people not knowing who he is to justify all the sidequest bullshit the game gets you into. Instead you just roam around the lovely world in your jumping car with your cadre of dudebro cybermen and no one calls you out on loving off to go camping and feed cats while your dad king has been murdered and who even knows anymore what your supposed love interest is doing.

My immersion is being ruined! :argh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

For whatever reason I really noticed the hell out of Dino's tie this time and felt really angry about it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The kingdom is burning and yet you must fish.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The caption for the Pom and Chocobo one really should be "There's nothing better for the inside of a man than a chocobo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nihilarian posted:

"It gets good 20 hours in" - Guy who liked the combat from the start

The combat system is incredible.

It's just a pity that you're only ever allowed to actually use it to it's full extent about three times in the entire game.

• Locked thread