Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Silmarillion Ways to Die in the West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The Silmarillion Ways to Die in the West

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gondolin With the Wind

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

its happening

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...m_medium=Social

and its def some SIL coming at you

lemme see that multi-million dollar CGI budget of Sauron turning into a giant bat

"New storylines" means they're just gonna make stuff up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Shiring

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Something Awful Forums > The Book Barn > Tolkien's Middle-Earth Legendarium: Alexa, make a TV show

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Time for me to pitch my full-length erotic dwarf fanfiction to Amazon, I guess

(Honestly my greatest fear in all of this is that they’ll have... shudder... elf sex scenes)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

elise the great posted:

Time for me to pitch my full-length erotic dwarf fanfiction to Amazon, I guess

(Honestly my greatest fear in all of this is that they’ll have... shudder... elf sex scenes)

I will only accept it if they used the elf dick you dreamed up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there any legal goons in here? Is there any way Christopher Tolkien can write in his will "DO NOT ALLOW THE RIGHTS OF THE SILMARILLION TO BE SOLD"? Dude is ancient and I fear that his body will barely be cold in the ground before somebody sells The Silmarillion to some movie studio.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SHISHKABOB posted:

"New storylines" means they're just gonna make stuff up.

This could be okay, or it could be incredibly bad.
"These stories written by a guy who was orphaned at 12 and lived through trench warfare aren't GRITTY enough!!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

And taking Hurin back to Angband he set him in a couch of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim, from which he could see afar the land of Amazon in the west and the lands of Warner Brothers to the south. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth; and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again and set his power upon him, so that he could not move from that place, or die, until Morgoth should release him.

"Sit now there," said Morgoth,"and look out upon the intellectual property where evil and despair shall come upon those whom you have delivered to me. For you have dared to mock me, and have questioned the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes you shall see, and with my ears you shall hear, and nothing shall be hidden from you."

:perfect:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tengwar Things I Hate About You

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tolkien's work has inspired generations of artists. Some of them have had budgets. It's no big deal if another one sucks, I think.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Strangeberry, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bombadil

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

There's Something About Merry

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Fresh Prince of Beleriand

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wight Christmas

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Balroger and Me

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What Hobbits Want

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's ok to stop now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it's ok to stop now
Pretty Singer Ainu Luthien.

Ungoliantophobia.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Tolkien's work has inspired generations of artists. Some of them have had budgets. It's no big deal if another one sucks, I think.

I agree, but it's bad that it's being used by global capitalism. Amazon is such a huge company, it's gross to see stuff commodified in such a way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien wrote those books to make money selling them so .. I mean what is the difference .

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

euphronius posted:

Tolkien wrote those books to make money selling them so .. I mean what is the difference .

These stories were his lifes work. He wrote them for his kids and because he was a huge dork for languages and to create a body of myth for his nation.

He was probably one of the few authors ever who would honestly have been perfectly content to just write his body of work even if it never sold a single copy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's incredibly wrong . He wrote lotr to make money and was trying forever to sell the Silmarillion as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Rly makes u think

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 15, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it's ok to stop now

Dumb and Dúnedain

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thorin: Ragnarok

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Christopher Tolkien resigned as estate director.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

viral spiral posted:

At least this won't be as bad as The Hobbit films.

Things can always get worse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ohhhhhh that makes sense then

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looking forward to the hit series J.R.R. Tolkien’s Shadow of War.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

:smith:

He's 93, so I imagine he'd rather relax than wrangle the estate, but I can't help but think he's been the best possible guardian of the property and I'm sad to think what it will mean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disney's Simarillion World! Ride with Feanor! Swear oaths he swore! Covet what he covets!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ashcans posted:

:smith:

He's 93, so I imagine he'd rather relax than wrangle the estate, but I can't help but think he's been the best possible guardian of the property and I'm sad to think what it will mean.

He did the best he could with the time given to him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Going back and looking at that article on Martinez’s site, looks like Chris resigned before any of this Amazon stuff even got started. So not a protest resignation but a case of the negotiations beginning as soon as the old man was out of the way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tarsem Singh's Fall of Gondolin. No spoken dialogue.

Not interested in the continuing adventures of Aragorn the scruffy ranger or whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

Tarsem Singh's Fall of Gondolin. No spoken dialogue.

Not interested in the continuing adventures of Aragorn the scruffy ranger or whatever.

Maybe now is the time for John Boorman’s LotR script to get the treatment it deserves

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
John Boorman made the only good LOTR movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

John Boorman made the only good LOTR movie.

I sure hope you’re talking about Zardoz