Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dank weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

0toShifty posted:

I've been driving with mouse-piss heat for 6 years :downs:

hantavirus :catstare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From MT's long term bolt:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-long-term-update-4/

quote:

Although the Bolt wasn’t yet due for scheduled maintenance, we brought it in early to address some issues reported in the last update—namely, the power steering occasionally refusing to activate on start-up. The dealer pulled the stored codes and did a preliminary investigation but asked us to bring the car back for a more thorough diagnostic when we had more time. We did, and while it was in the second time, we asked the dealer to investigate the infotainment screen’s occasional refusal to boot-up. The dealer identified the U156D error code as a likely culprit for the steering issue and replaced the shifter as per GM bulletin 16-NA-183. The infotainment screen got a software update, which took care of that problem.

You might be wondering what the shifter has to do with the power steering system, and we were, too. The dealer couldn’t explain it, saying that the repair was done per Chevy’s bulletin. The bulletin, though, doesn’t make any mention of the steering system, nor is the Bolt EV tagged in it (other vehicles using the same electronic shifter are). When we asked Chevy directly how replacing the shifter would fix the power steering, Chevy politely asked us to take the car back to the dealer. Although the shifter did need to be replaced due to the error code, it’s a separate issue from the power steering. Thankfully, all the work to date has been covered under the warranty. We’ll update you when the steering issue is finally resolved, but we should note in the meantime the issue hasn’t come back.

Classic GM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sounds like their dealership was playing "throw parts at it" and didn't bother to actually fix the underlying issue because bulletins pay poo poo for shop rate. That's risky, since there's no way they didn't know that was a magazine car.

Watch their floorplan financing disappear next quarter, cuz that kind of "poo poo went wrong, dealership didn't know what to do, three trips didn't fix it" is JD Power poison.

Really excited for the junkyards to be stuffed full of FWD EVs because I can't wait to see more Bolt/Leaf/SparkEV swaps into weird old tiny cars.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 12, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lol that dealer bulletin doesn't even apply to the bolt

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

0toShifty posted:

My current car was parked for many years before I got it. I found 4 mouse nests inside the dashboard.

There's at least one more within the heater box. I've been meaning to take it apart and deal with it, but haven't gotten the chance. I got the car in 2011. I've been driving with mouse-piss heat for 6 years :downs:

Well.. at least you didn't have a mouse crawl up and get electrocuted in your electric range, close to the intake for the oven fan. Everything from the oven smelled weird, then the smell of rotten mouse made it obvious. But yeah I cooked and ate food with rotten mouse air for a day or two. Good times.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is not a horrible mechanical failure, but testament to Volvo's new truck braking system:

WARNING: Kid almost gets hit by a truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnCU20Cu0fs

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 12, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol that dealer bulletin doesn't even apply to the bolt

Literally only applicable to 2017 Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XT5s.

I hope someone at corporate ripped that service managers head off and shat down their neck hole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CommieGIR posted:

This is not a horrible mechanical failure, but testament to Volvo's new truck braking system:

They don't teach kids not to run into traffic there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure they do, but sometimes kids are dumb no matter how many times you warn them.

(adults too)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

:aaa:

I hope someone forwarded the video to the kid's parents, just to make sure he gets chewed the gently caress out for, well, about forever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that a school bus? Why the gently caress doesn't it have one of those flip-out stop signs like we do in :patriot: ?

e: oh i guess it's a city bus. This is why you have school buses, people!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sagebrush posted:

Is that a school bus? Why the gently caress doesn't it have one of those flip-out stop signs like we do in :patriot: ?

e: oh i guess it's a city bus. This is why you have school buses, people!

No, that's why you don't stop buses outside of the designated bus stops. Super dangerous place to stop a bus and let people off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
That video is from rural Norway, we don't have school busses in a special colour, it's just another route driven by the normal bus company. In regards to bus stops, and only stopping on those, that depends on the how rural the route is. It's usually more enforced on getting on the bus than getting off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress, even then the truck nearly got his foot as he was picking it up running.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

No, that's why you don't stop buses outside of the designated bus stops. Super dangerous place to stop a bus and let people off.

Its also why kids are supposed to walk in front of the bus so the driver can see them and other drivers can as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I was a kid we got it drilled into our heads that we should stay on the sidewalk until the bus has left.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

When I was a kid we got it drilled into our heads that we should stay on the sidewalk until the bus has left.

We got told the opposite since the driver would have the stop sign out on the side of the bus. Cross in front of the bus so the driver would see you and you'd have a clear view of oncoming traffic. I was also in a rural area.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
the downside is when you get killed by the rear end in a top hat driver who speeds around the stopped bus as you're crossing :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

We got told the opposite since the driver would have the stop sign out on the side of the bus. Cross in front of the bus so the driver would see you and you'd have a clear view of oncoming traffic. I was also in a rural area.
Like Supradog, we didn't have dedicated school buses where I grew up. We just rode the regular bus route, so the bus didn't have a stop sign.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Cindy Shitbird posted:

the downside is when you get killed by the rear end in a top hat driver who speeds around the stopped bus as you're crossing :v:

We had a more than of those when the stop signs were installed in California a few years back. :sigh:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

On a school bus that has the authority to stop traffic, you cross the street in front of it at the discretion of the driver. On a regular bus that is part of normal traffic, you wait for the bus to leave so you have a clear view and can better use your own judgement. I hope the lesson that kid learned sticks because next time it probably won't be a truck with a super advanced braking system and an attentive driver.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kids are really dumb and I doubt he learned anything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I wish I had more pictures of the stereo wiring because there sure was a lot of fuckery. The blue wire from the amp didn't go to its matching wire at the head unit, it went to the fuse box where it was soldered to the side of a fuse. The grounds were crimped into a ring terminal that they drove a sheet metal screw through, into the frame behind the back seat. And then added a couple more screws at the sides to be sure. That was easily relocated, with the same ring terminal, to a bolt a few inches away. The adjustable line output converter has four speaker wires but they twisted the negative and positive pairs together and only connected it to one speaker. They made these connections by stripping a small section of one wire, untwisting it so the strands opened up, and passing the stripped end of the other wire through.

But it was an $800 car that's easy to find parts for.

Not all coupes got them but mine did have the bumper with a pair of fake intake grills. I had to make another trip to the junkyard after discovering that the support bracket and foam block have to match the bumper. Even the front fenders are different but so slightly I didn't figure it out until I was trying to bolt on the sedan fender I had bought.

I love installs done by people who know just enough to be dangerous.
Interestingly enough, the splicing method you point out is actually a good one if you solder it afterward.

MrYenko posted:

Literally every single aftermarket stereo ever installed in a motor vehicle belongs in this thread. I’ve never seen an install that didn’t have some level of fuckery.

You haven't seen mine. I used to do this poo poo for a living, and I hate having to mess with it after the fact, so I do it right to start with. Well, I do know. Once upon a time, when I was still a teenager I did some embarrassing/lazy installs...
I mean, I sometimes still do cheap/ghetto installs, but the wiring and mounting is solid.

ZincBoy posted:

I take exception to this. Here is the install I did on my 2003 BMW 330CI. It had the factory H-K system but most of the speakers were blown.

First you print adapters for the after market speakers to mount in the factory locations using the factory mounting screws:

Next, a printed connector adapter to plug into the factory amp location and re-use all of the signal and speaker wiring:

Finally, mount the amp, crossovers, and baluns to the factory amp bracket

And install.

I still need to install the DSP sound correction but have not had time.

Now you might complain that I didn't replace the head unit, but I will try to find the pictures from when I installed a Pioneer DEH-880PRS in my Forester with a 6 channel amp installed above the spare tire. The amp is on an aluminum plate which can be removed easily by unplugging a Minifit-SR connector and all wiring is routed using factory wiring locations. This system has been running flawlessly since I installed it in 2007. The only issue with that setup was that the door speakers were installed using machined HDPE spacers and didn't use the factory mounting points.

That's beautiful. This kind of stuff is why I want a 3D printer. When they don't make a kit for your install, or you don't like their kit, here you go!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

That's beautiful. This kind of stuff is why I want a 3D printer. When they don't make a kit for your install, or you don't like their kit, here you go!

Agreed. Congrats to zincboy on doing a really nice install. Did you design the parts, or were they already available?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
3D printers are awesome. I'm 3D printing OEM Audi parts that are NLA like shifter bushings and shifter boot brackets.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Kids are really dumb and I doubt he learned anything.

Counterpoint: When I was like 8 a friend and I were riding our bikes to my house and I decided to race him. Right at the end of the run I had to cross a 45 MPH road outside of my neighborhood, and while I did check over my shoulder before crossing I apparently waited too long for the traffic coming at me and the traffic coming up from behind caught up. I came within inches of becoming a hood ornament on a county sheriff's cruiser.

Two decades and change later I haven't even come close to getting hit by a car since, so there's at least one example of a stupid kid learning the lesson from having the poo poo scared out of him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Agreed. Congrats to zincboy on doing a really nice install. Did you design the parts, or were they already available?

Thirded/fourthed. Especially interested in the connector aspect there, how do you do that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah. Impossible to source air filter for the Daihatsu? Printed a casing to make my own. Steering column shroud on aftermarket steering wheel boss not covering it up properly? Made a new one. Just printed an adaptor to slot a CB into a DIN cage, will probably need to print some head unit adaptor mounts etc etc.

You can also make handy things like a basic copy of your hub with a centre bore and "studs" to easily check if wheels you find at a yard etc will fit, stuff like that.

I use Autodesk Fusion 360 for designing things, it's great considering it's free.

With Zincboy's plug adaptor, I'm not sure if it's 100% what he's done, but you can successfully de-pin factory plugs and rearrange or repurpose them, with a little patience.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

wolrah posted:

Counterpoint: When I was like 8 a friend and I were riding our bikes to my house and I decided to race him. Right at the end of the run I had to cross a 45 MPH road outside of my neighborhood, and while I did check over my shoulder before crossing I apparently waited too long for the traffic coming at me and the traffic coming up from behind caught up. I came within inches of becoming a hood ornament on a county sheriff's cruiser.

Two decades and change later I haven't even come close to getting hit by a car since, so there's at least one example of a stupid kid learning the lesson from having the poo poo scared out of him.

Wow this mimics my story pretty well. The cop even had to run off into the ditch to avoid killing me.

Kids are shockingly stupid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Kids are not stupid. They are learning. Sometimes the hard way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're still stupid until they learn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

They're still stupid until they learn.

I feel like there is a difference between 'stupid' and 'not yet aware/knowledgeable'

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Kids are not stupid. They are learning. Sometimes the hard way.

When I was a kid, my friend and I used to use his family's quad to tow his little brother behind it on a toboggan on the highway.

I'm not sure what I learned since there were no negative consequences.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's also why old people are so goddamn boring, they've been almost killed so many times or seen other people get almost killed enough that they retreat into a shell, paralyzed by the fact that the universe just doesn't give a poo poo.

Unless you're Richard Branson, not sure how he pulls it off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CommieGIR posted:

I feel like there is a difference between 'stupid' and 'not yet aware/knowledgeable'

'Ignorant' is the word you're looking for. And yes, there is a difference.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Some kids are both ignorant and stupid.

Usually, they don't change and grow up to be the son of my boss.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spog posted:

Some kids are both ignorant and stupid.

Usually, they don't change and grow up to be the son of my boss.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Genetic Failures: He grew up to be the son of my boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was a kid, my friend and I used to use his family's quad to tow his little brother behind it on a toboggan on the highway.

I'm not sure what I learned since there were no negative consequences.

We did that with various parents cars. On the road, with GT snow racers. We were teenagers, drinking, and having fun. Speeds were in excess of the speed limit, in snow storms......