Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
a bartender I used to work with made me mezcal + green chartereuse + hot chocolate and it was loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In a pinch, I just throw rum and Angostura into some hot apple cider.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
good hot apple cider is dope w/ drambuie in it

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I experimented with a hot Manhattan. It needed a little more sweetness for most pallets I'd imagine, but I liked it.

I have this little heating milk frother tin. I guess you could get similar results low on a stovetop.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Klauser posted:

I like cognac in hot chocolate

I like Chartreuse in hot chocolate

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like doing hot buttered cider, with or without rum or booze of your choice. Plus once you make a batch of spiced butter it lasts forever in the fridge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anybody ever try the Benny'n'Hot? (Benedictine and hot water.)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

goferchan posted:

a bartender I used to work with made me mezcal + green chartereuse + hot chocolate and it was loving incredible

Did we...work together?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Hot buttered rum is great (I use the Zig Zag Cafe recipe). Hot cider with Art in the Age's Root is also good, though I don't think that's available any more--maybe try other anise-y liqueurs. I've been enjoying some simple gin toddies.

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody ever try the Benny'n'Hot? (Benedictine and hot water.)
That's a thing? Is it good?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I like doing hot buttered cider, with or without rum or booze of your choice. Plus once you make a batch of spiced butter it lasts forever in the fridge.
I must try this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I'm doing something with hot apple cider, so now I've just gotta lock down what..

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ralith posted:

That's a thing? Is it good?
It got in the news because it's the signature drink at the Burnley Miners' Social Club, a working-class social club of the kind that's rare in the UK and practically nonexistent in the US.

I've never tried it. Frankly, Benedictine is pricey and the last thing I wanna do is mix it with plain hot water.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does vermouth go bad? I have a bottle of Martini & Rossi vermouth (I think that's it...it's just the brand you can find basically anywhere) that's been around for about 2 years, and for some reason we thought it smelled a bit different the other day when we were making martinis for the first time in a few months. It's been out of direct light in my liquor cabinet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

nwiniwn posted:

Does vermouth go bad? I have a bottle of Martini & Rossi vermouth (I think that's it...it's just the brand you can find basically anywhere) that's been around for about 2 years, and for some reason we thought it smelled a bit different the other day when we were making martinis for the first time in a few months. It's been out of direct light in my liquor cabinet.

Yes. If unrefrigerated they have about a 1-2 week lifespan once open. If refrigerated their lifespan goes up to 8-12 weeks. They don't 'go bad' like a wine turns to vinegar but they oxidize to the point where they taste very different and usually not great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've definitely kept vermouth in the refrigerator longer than 8 weeks, but definitely do not drink vermouth that's been opened and stored at room temperature for 2 years.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I occasionally find myself in a really terrible dive bar. Strictly a shot-and-a-(bottled)-beer place, but for some reason they have a single bottle of M&R red vermouth. It's coated with dust and nicotine; I asked the bartender the last time anyone touched it and he just shrugged.

I hope they never open it. They'll need a hazmat team.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never been in a dive bar that did not have a visibly dusty bottle of M&R.

I hear that M&R actually does well in blind taste tests, when it hasn't been transformed into a biological weapon.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wow-ok that’s going in the trash then. Thanks!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Kenning posted:

Here, make this instead:

2 bottles VS cognac (i.e. from France)
18 oz. oloroso sherry
2 1/3 cups sugar (some sort of raw/unrefined sugar is best)
18 oz. lemon juice
4 oz. lime juice
1 1/2 qt. + 1 cup water

Dissolve the sugar in the cup of water, which should be boiling. A better way might be to make a syrup of it on the stove and then let it cool. In any case, to your sugar/water mixture, add the brandy, the sherry, and the citrus juice. Stir well, then at the moment of service pour in the water. Pour slowly and taste – you don't want it to get too dilute, but you should probably end up using all of it. Slip in a block of ice and grate fresh (fresh!) nutmeg over the top.

You can prepare a block of ice by filling a 1 or 1 1/2 qt. metal or plastic bowl with water and letting it freeze overnight. Run hot water over the bottom of the bowl to remove the block.

This is called Admiral Russel's Punch, and is, for my money, one of the most perfectly balanced punches I've made/tasted (and in the last year I've made 15-20 different punches, for a total volume of more than 100 gallons). This really hits its stride after it's been on ice for about 20 minutes.

Quoting a six-year-old post because I made this punch tonight for my birthday party and it was very, very popular. It tastes like apple cider! Everyone loves that poo poo. What's cool about it is it still tastes great after the ice melts. Robust enough in flavor that it doesn't have to be ice cold, and it's not so strong to need ice in the first place. Hell, you could serve it warm. It's excellent stuff.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

The Hebug posted:

I like Chartreuse in hot chocolate

Tryin' dis

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

In a pinch, I just throw rum and Angostura into some hot apple cider.

cryme posted:

good hot apple cider is dope w/ drambuie in it

Think I'm narrowing my drink down to either of these(maybe both :getin:)

What kind of rum do you use, HJ?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You can used spiced rum--my wife is fond of Sailor Jerry. That's a shortcut to adding spice, of course, but with less control over exactly what you're adding.

Ideally I'd Pusser's or Coruba (which I can no longer get) because they're not too sweet, and I'm mixing with local cider that's pretty rich. If you want the mixture to be sweet--let's say you're the kind of person who thinks mulled wine is better with amaretto in it--you can use a sweeter dark rum like Gosling's or Kraken.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

You can used spiced rum--my wife is fond of Sailor Jerry. That's a shortcut to adding spice, of course, but with less control over exactly what you're adding.

Ideally I'd Pusser's or Coruba (which I can no longer get) because they're not too sweet, and I'm mixing with local cider that's pretty rich. If you want the mixture to be sweet--let's say you're the kind of person who thinks mulled wine is better with amaretto in it--you can use a sweeter dark rum like Gosling's or Kraken.

Perfect, thanks!

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

poop dood posted:

Quoting a six-year-old post because I made this punch tonight for my birthday party and it was very, very popular. It tastes like apple cider! Everyone loves that poo poo. What's cool about it is it still tastes great after the ice melts. Robust enough in flavor that it doesn't have to be ice cold, and it's not so strong to need ice in the first place. Hell, you could serve it warm. It's excellent stuff.

I made the Admiral Russell's and the Lost Souls for my wife's surprise party of the weekend. They went great! Thanks cocktail thread. Always a good sign when the room was split on which was better.

I'll have to try the mezcal/Chartreuse / hot chocolate. I haven't touched my mezcal since the summer and that sounds great.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

goferchan posted:

What kind of proportions are we talking here?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

poop dood posted:

I made this same punch 2 weeks ago for a potluck! I cannot believe that it's been 6 years since I started evangelizing punch in this thread. And Admiral Russell's is still probably the best all-rounder. Glad you enjoyed it!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I want to make batch cocktails for Thanksgiving. I want a pitcher of, say, 8 servings instead of shaking each one. I'll keep it in the fridge or freezer so they're ready to briefly stir & pour out.

My plan is to make a test cocktail tonight by carefully measuring the ingredients before ice & shaking, then measuring again after. The difference should be the amount of water that melted to dilute & balance the cocktail out. I would then add that amount of water to the ingredients in the pitcher, scaled up to the 8 servings.

My question is this: does shaking a cocktail improve the texture? Obviously it does in an egg white cocktail, but would you notice it in, say, a Bee's Knees (gin + lemon juice + honey syrup)? I'm not sure if there's any emulsifying going on or tiny bubbles on your tongue.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I realized recently that my Aperol is only 11% ABV and it's been sitting out opened room temp forever. I think it still tastes ok I guess though? I'd have to buy a fresh bottle to compare, maybe I will right before the last one runs out.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I want to make batch cocktails for Thanksgiving. I want a pitcher of, say, 8 servings instead of shaking each one. I'll keep it in the fridge or freezer so they're ready to briefly stir & pour out.

My plan is to make a test cocktail tonight by carefully measuring the ingredients before ice & shaking, then measuring again after. The difference should be the amount of water that melted to dilute & balance the cocktail out. I would then add that amount of water to the ingredients in the pitcher, scaled up to the 8 servings.

My question is this: does shaking a cocktail improve the texture? Obviously it does in an egg white cocktail, but would you notice it in, say, a Bee's Knees (gin + lemon juice + honey syrup)? I'm not sure if there's any emulsifying going on or tiny bubbles on your tongue.

Shaking actually will impact the taste, the rule of thumb is that in less spirit forward drinks that are sweet or have citrus, shaking them and introducing air will balance them out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I realized recently that my Aperol is only 11% ABV and it's been sitting out opened room temp forever. I think it still tastes ok I guess though? I'd have to buy a fresh bottle to compare, maybe I will right before the last one runs out.

It's spiritous and shelf-stable.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Shaking absolutely improves the texture. You’re not just diluting, you’re aerating. It’s a pretty important factor for a citrusy drink.

I doubt that anybody will complain or be negatively affected by the lack of shaking at a small holiday party though. That’d be kind of a dick move on their part.

Batching cocktails also does funny things - it’s my understanding that simply scaling up a recipe with citrus in it doesn’t really work. I’m sure somebody here more well versed can help you with that. There’s probably an easy formula or rule of thumb.

If you want to avoid shaking, do a cocktail with bubbles in it, like a French 75. Just wait until the very last minute to add champagne, even going as far as adding it to individual glasses if it’s a small enough party.

Edit: I don’t have the books with me, but if you can find Punch! or Liquid Intelligence, either of those will have the info you need.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Shaking absolutely improves the texture. You’re not just diluting, you’re aerating. It’s a pretty important factor for a citrusy drink.

I doubt that anybody will complain or be negatively affected by the lack of shaking at a small holiday party though. That’d be kind of a dick move on their part.

Batching cocktails also does funny things - it’s my understanding that simply scaling up a recipe with citrus in it doesn’t really work. I’m sure somebody here more well versed can help you with that. There’s probably an easy formula or rule of thumb.

If you want to avoid shaking, do a cocktail with bubbles in it, like a French 75. Just wait until the very last minute to add champagne, even going as far as adding it to individual glasses if it’s a small enough party.

Edit: I don’t have the books with me, but if you can find Punch! or Liquid Intelligence, either of those will have the info you need.

Citrus scales fine. Bitters do not. If you're making batched cocktails you're better off adding the bitters to each serving at the last minute and giving it a stir.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Citrus scales fine. Bitters do not. If you're making batched cocktails you're better off adding the bitters to each serving at the last minute and giving it a stir.

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks all. I'll probably batch out the non-ice ingredients (sans bitters) and shake to order. That'll still be way quicker than measuring each time.

Also, re: citrus I read somewhere that citrus juice has some enzyme stuff happen as soon as it's squeezed and that, as a result of some good changes early on and some bad changes later, citrus is best squeezed 1 hour before use. I looked into it, and Serious Eats sez:

Of course, a cocktail is normally designed around fresh squeezed juice, so it's possible that something will be unbalanced if I go this route. I guess this calls for :dance: side by side cocktail experiements tomorrow :dance:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 23, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks all. I'll probably batch out the non-ice ingredients (sans bitters) and shake to order. That'll still be way quicker than measuring each time.

Also, re: citrus I read somewhere that citrus juice has some enzyme stuff happen as soon as it's squeezed and that, as a result of some good changes early on and some bad changes later, citrus is best squeezed 1 hour before use. I looked into it, and Serious Eats sez:

Of course, a cocktail is normally designed around fresh squeezed juice, so it's possible that something will be unbalanced if I go this route. I guess this calls for :dance: side by side cocktail experiements tomorrow :dance:

Counterpoint: There is no definitive 'best time' for citrus. I don't remember which book it was (bar smarts maybe?) but they did some research and found that people just preferred citrus as old as they usually consume it. I.E. people who were used to citrus squeezed to order liked that over citrus that was a few hours or a day old, but people who were used to citrus that was a few hours (or a day) old actually preferred that over the citrus squeezed to order. Their point being consistency is more important than an arbitrary definition of freshness. However you prepare your citrus for your guests, do it all at the same time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Counterpoint: There is no definitive 'best time' for citrus. I don't remember which book it was (bar smarts maybe?) but they did some research and found that people just preferred citrus as old as they usually consume it. I.E. people who were used to citrus squeezed to order liked that over citrus that was a few hours or a day old, but people who were used to citrus that was a few hours (or a day) old actually preferred that over the citrus squeezed to order. Their point being consistency is more important than an arbitrary definition of freshness. However you prepare your citrus for your guests, do it all at the same time.

You may be thinking of liquid intelligence, and my takeaway was that lime was generally preferred mellowed in a blind test but it’s been a minute since I picked that one up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I used to always use fresh-squeezed limes, but then I wound up with a whole extra bag of limes, so I've really been enjoying the syrup I made from them.

Anybody here put a personal touch on their grenadine recipe? I put orange flower water in mine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Two results:

My wife and I were unable to pass the triangle test on shaken now vs shaken 12 hours ago. They were the same in our blind tasting!

Lemon squeezed 4.5 hours ago vs fresh squeezed: aged juice was sweeter, less bitter less tart. Wife preferred the fresh juice in the cocktail, whereas I think guests would prefer the more balanced but less lemony aged juice. We'll compromise and probably use 2 hour old juice, since that's when cocktail batching fits in our schedule tomorrow.

e: the cocktails were a hit. Hard to go wrong with honey, lemon, sage and some lavender bitters. The sweet potato martini was great with dessert too.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 24, 2017

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
The ABC was closed on thanksgiving (duh) so I ended up making a madiera punch with some dark Jamaican rum had lying around. It was intensely good and was rapidly dispatched.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My boss handed me a bottle of vodka last night. Polish business clients visited, brought a buncha booze as gifts apparently. I don't like vodka but this one wasn't actually bad... Żubrówka biala vodka was the name.

Still I might throw some juniper berries in it and make a kinda gin instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

My boss handed me a bottle of vodka last night. Polish business clients visited, brought a buncha booze as gifts apparently. I don't like vodka but this one wasn't actually bad... Żubrówka biala vodka was the name.

Still I might throw some juniper berries in it and make a kinda gin instead.

Why not just shelve it and have it as a neat/odd bottle?