Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Olive! posted:

There weren't even three votes though, it was seriously just me. Oh well.

oh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to finish the Real Estate storyline in Y0 but I've done everything that isn't boring mini-games and waiting around til I can collect for more money sucks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Your instincts were correct betting on anime high school RPGs but they sit ever so slightly below Nintendo and goony Japanese auteurs in the great hierarchy of SA games forum.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I want to finish the Real Estate storyline in Y0 but I've done everything that isn't boring mini-games and waiting around til I can collect for more money sucks.

Majima's hostess game is way more fun than Real Estate, I didn't finish Kiryu's businessman ventures either.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'm happy that all my favorite games this year have been ones where you just... buy the game and play it and then that's the end. A novel concept to be sure.

exquisite tea posted:

God Tier:
Horizon

:confused:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Expansions with actual substance are good and cool and not the same thing as nickel-and-diming with microtransactions :eng101:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harrow posted:

Expansions with actual substance are good and cool and not the same thing as nickel-and-diming with microtransactions :eng101:
That's nice. Still ain't in the box, still ain't playable unless you cough up extra, still not a one-and-done.

In other news, all your suspicions about Telltale were true.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Kins posted:

That's nice. Still ain't in the box, still ain't playable unless you cough up extra, still not a one-and-done.

I mean, sure, but new, actual content developed after a game's release being sold later is a whole different world from the microtransaction poo poo that exquisite tea was referring to. Another main difference is that the game feels complete without it. If Horizon: Zero Dawn never got an expansion, it'd still be a complete, satisfying game well worth the purchase. When an expansion is an actual expansion, and not stuff that should've been there from the start, I can't imagine anyone ever having a problem with it, and it seems silly to equate it to, y'know, loot boxes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

since when do games come in boxes :confused:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put expansion quests in lootboxes, duplicates allowed (but no reward for repeating, don't want it exploitable after all).

Bonus points if they're on disc quests.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Game icons are box-shaped, right?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Kins posted:

it's an optional loving full expansion, this seems like extremely pissy cherrypicking

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Put expansion quests in lootboxes, duplicates allowed (but no reward for repeating, don't want it exploitable after all).

Bonus points if they're on disc quests.

Put the expansion in to a lootbox.

When you buy it you can open the expansion, some skins or a PS4 theme

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really Pants posted:

How about you give me 30 bucks and I give you a loot crate that contains one of fifty different games and hey, you *MIGHT* get Bad Rats 2 but this other guy here spent 600 bucks on loot game crates and he got Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Edition don’t you want a shot? First one’s free! What’s the harm? You can earn them for free by sorting through your Steam queue...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the resident evil 4 "whattaya buyin'" guy except he opens up his coat and instead of weapons its full of lootboxes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Capsule machine amiibos. A giant story-tall machine at your local Best Buy you put $20 into and turn the crank and maybe you get your fiftieth copy of Luigi.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We've brought back Smash Bros. Melee but now you have to pay for the gacha.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

Good. Make those Melee purists bleed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Smash Bros Melee except to select/unlock characters you scan their Amiibo and they all re-lock when the game closes. Hey, they're asking people to pay for plastic cheat codes with Mario Odyssey, let's go further.

Mato's cool website about game localization stuff got a revamp, it's worth checking out if you're curious about the process of turning word into other word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRmDsap39k

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

the resident evil 4 "whattaya buyin'" guy except he opens up his coat and instead of weapons its full of lootboxes

That's already how mercenaries works in the newer games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was gonna say I️ think they did exactly that bit in Umbrella Corps but it may have been a dream i had

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

I was gonna say I️ think they did exactly that bit in Umbrella Corps but it may have been a dream i had

Update your iOS

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Top 5 for the year:

Night in the Woods
Super Mario Odyssey
Sonic Mania
Life is Strange: Before the Storm (provided it can stick the landing that is)
Persona 5

Honarable mention to Mighty Gunvolt Burst as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 14, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Kins posted:

Smash Bros Melee except to select/unlock characters you scan their Amiibo and they all re-lock when the game closes. Hey, they're asking people to pay for plastic cheat codes with Mario Odyssey, let's go further.

Mato's cool website about game localization stuff got a revamp, it's worth checking out if you're curious about the process of turning word into other word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRmDsap39k

i recommend reading his articles where he talks about japanese reactions to old avgn videos

http://legendsoflocalization.com/avgn/castlevania-ii/

quote:

So, with all this in mind, I thought it might be neat to look at what some Japanese viewers have said about this particular AVGN episode! I find this the most fascinating of all, since they’re seeing these videos from a whole different viewpoint, you know? So let’s take a look at a few comments from Nico Nico!

I like the fact that he’s a fan yet also angry at it

Don’t assume foreign gamers are as polite as Japanese gamers!

If you gave him the Disk System version he’d probably go insane from the load times

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have no idea how Castlevania as a series continued after Castlevania 2 on the Disk System. This is a game where you exit the first screen and have to manually flip the disk. Now imagine the game decides to spawn an enemy at the edge of the screen that knocks you back to the previous screen. This, in a game with like 100 screens.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I was walking my dogs, then a Nintendo fanboy popped out of the ground and ate my copy of Persona 5

Nintendo fanboys strike yet again!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a NES game so being terribly designed was just normal

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of terribly designed, I tried playing American McGee's Alice today, not a game that's aged well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was it even good when it came out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think its main claim to fame was tapping the lucrative market of hot topic/invader zim teens in the late 90's and early oughts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AMBG

al-azad
May 28, 2009

With a few tweaks Alice would've held up but imagine a precise action platformer on a mouse and keyboard with damage sponge enemies like most PC games from that period it was designed with constant quick-save/load in mind.

See also Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS-47U32H3U

I've heard the sequel is decent.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

i think its main claim to fame was tapping the lucrative market of hot topic/invader zim teens in the late 90's and early oughts

was invader zim ever even funny, i can't think of anything memorable about it except that loving doom song

so i'm gonna answer my own question and go with no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
invader zim was alright. it has some good episodes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i never watched it but i'm going to go out on a limb and say it was not particularly any better or worse than half the cartoons on cartoon network/nickelodeon were at the time, or are today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if anyone here tries to tell me Ed Edd & Eddy or Cow & Chicken weren't actually any good I'm going to be immensely sad

I still get a giggle when I remember chicken in the girl's bathroom saying "I think they can buy cigars in here"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My personal GotY list in descending order:

Hollow Knight: Slow start and an occasional meh level but other than that it's pretty much perfect.
Mario Odyssey: The Mario game I've been wanting for a decade. I don't think it controls as well as Galaxy, though.
Horizon: Just an incredibly solid "AAA" style game action game.
Nioh: This would probably be at the top if it had more enemy variety and didn't have a lovely unnecessary loot system.
Yakuza 0: Kinda janky, but the combat and minigames are fun and the story is great. The last fight was amazing. So grindy that I will definitely never play it again.

I usually like indies more, but major games were really good this year.

Honorable mention to Cuphead which I don't own and haven't played but definitely has the best graphics of the year.

oddium posted:

i am blueholio. i need pubg for my profit margin

lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

was invader zim ever even funny, i can't think of anything memorable about it except that loving doom song

so i'm gonna answer my own question and go with no

It's in the same boat as Ren and Stimpy where it's monkey cheese humor for the kids with actual storylines and situations clearly aimed at adults. It's basically PG level Rick and Morty sketches like an episode where Zim wants to mimic human anatomy so he literally eats every kids' organs until he turns into a rolling blob of cartoon gore spilling from his mouth. I'm sure nobody at Viacom knew of Vasquez's previous work, a comic about a serial killer and a comic about a horrifically abused child.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

if anyone here tries to tell me Ed Edd & Eddy or Cow & Chicken weren't actually any good I'm going to be immensely sad

I still get a giggle when I remember chicken in the girl's bathroom saying "I think they can buy cigars in here"

I'm so sorry.

At any rate Pinky and the Brain was the best cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder if the new Invader Zim comic series is any good, I heard Jhonen Vasquez was pretty closely involved with it? Might have heard wrong but either way I am interested.

edit

Ciaphas posted:

https://twitter.com/FourScore64/status/930298622461308928

• Locked thread