Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Once you mince/press/grate, or even chop/smash garlic, you break cells which leads to chemical reactions. These reactions depend on time and temperature. Some reactions, such as development of organosulfur compounds, rely on time between the mincing and the cooking for this to occur. If you're cooking garlic yourself, mince it at the beginning of your recipe to give yourself the (supposed) benefits of these compounds.

If you buy pre-minced, you'll automatically get those benefits. But do other reactions occur after breaking the cells, which might affect its flavor or odor, either on its own or when incorporated into your dish? I can't find much on it, but limited personal experience says the answer is "yes". It would be nice to see a triangle test showing that the effect is important enough to distinguish, but I wasn't able to find one. There are these appeals to authority, however:

quote:

Just finished browsing the new Cook's Illustrated. It has a similar question in it (on freezing minced garlic.) It says that "the compound that gives garlic its potent taste, allicin, does not form until the cloves are chopped. But allicin is fleeting. If the chopped garlic is stored, even in the freezer, the allicin will lose its strength. If you want garlic at is maximum potency, you should wait until the last minute to chop it"
Suggests that waiting for the organosulfur mojo is actually a bad thing!

quote:

Tony Bourdain says anyone who uses jarred, pre-chopped garlic in their cooking should be doomed to never taste fresh garlic again.
Again, it's an appeal to supposed authority. Take it as you will.

Personally, if I were to want to save time I'd just buy the pre-peeled but not pre-diced stuff.

Then again, I found this infuriating article, so I'm prepared to change my stance just to rebel against this bit of editorial drivel: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/08/jarred-garlic-minced_n_5092395.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I find that jarred crushed garlic tastes really weird, and I enjoy taking the time to crush garlic with my knife

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Would the potato peeling gloves work?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If a task requires dexterity, gloves are a bad way to go. If you need pristine garlic cloves, use a $2 silicone tube or your bare hands. If you're mincing anyhow, just smack with a knife and the skin comes right off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlyvxfo9w0&t=98s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So.... whole clove jarred garlic is fine?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

If a task requires dexterity, gloves are a bad way to go. If you need pristine garlic cloves, use a $2 silicone tube or your bare hands. If you're mincing anyhow, just smack with a knife and the skin comes right off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlyvxfo9w0&t=98s

Yeah, my tube is similar, and if I can't be arsed with that i just whack it with my knife.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Here's a lot of sperging about minced, diced, pasted, microplaned, etc., garlic that hits some of the same points http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-mince-chop-garlic-microplane-vs-garlic-press.html

I don't think peeling is hard at all, for me the issue is keeping the drat things from growing every time I turn around. I still do whole heads, but it's never convenient.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

So.... whole clove jarred garlic is fine?

I've found it to be fine and had a difficult time detecting any difference in it compared to stuff I peeled myself vs the jarred minced garlic.

This is just anecdotal for me and the stuff I normally cook but yeah like was mentioned earlier if your grocery sells the little delitainers of pre-peeled and they are cheap to me that's a good middle ground.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
peeling garlic takes two seconds. put the back of your knife on a clove, then hit it one time with the palm of your hand. then, hold the clove + skin, and cut away a thin slice where the root met it. you should just be able to pinch the loosened skin off the rest of the clove, no mess, no garlic hands.

it takes practice, but it's like people who bitch about crab being messy or hard to open and so they just don't ever eat it. get your technique down and you're good to go.

I have no opinions of depeeled whole, my mums told me if poo poo looked too good to be true it probably was, so I've never bothered.

edit : that said, both peeling garlic AND ginger and prepping them both is *just* enough of a pain in the rear end that I wholly endorse premixed grated garlic/ginger mixtures from indian markets, for the limited purpose of making chinese/malay/indian curries with tons of garlic and ginger. that has a place in my fridge for sure.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going to try my hand at a turkey roulade this Thanksgiving. Give me some ideas as to what to throw inside it.

Also, stemming, chopping, washing, and spinning fresh bunches of kale can go gently caress itself. Wife, you're on your own next time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are you stemming with a knife? Because yeah that sucks. Just grab the leaves with your left hand and zip the stem with your right. I have one of these cheapo tools:

and it is slower and less effective. I would still use it for thyme, but with all the side stems it ends up not worth it there either.

Also, I never chop greens. Tearing with hands is cathartic and easier for 2-people's worth of greens.

Before we got a good, big salad spinner, I would just rinse the whole kale leaves under the faucet, wrap in a big towel, and sling around at arms length in a big circle. It was fun, it splashed water on my wife, it worked pretty well.

e: oh yeah, why I came here in the first place:

I just found out Butterball's recommended final temperature for your turkey is 180°F in the thigh :barf:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 14, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Butterball realizes that most people out there are stupid and would probably give themselves food poisoning somehow. Anyone who knows enough to not poison themselves will know how to cook at lower temperatures safely.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What in the hell would the breast temp be then? No wonder why so many people hate turkey.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If it's a thing that already has souring agents in, the jarred garlic is fine. Anything else, and I prefer fresh. I find that the vinegar or citric acid they use in the jarred stuff throws off the taste of what I'm making otherwise. Also I never peel ginger unless it's going into something raw, and you're going to be seeing the slivers of the stuff.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Also, it's probably not a good idea to do the jarred garlic thing if it's going to sit in the fridge for a really long time. It's that whole 'botulism thriving in anaerobic environments' thing. It's super unlikely in general, but it's easy to stick an open jar in the fridge for a couple months and forget to use it, and that's just an unnecessary risk.

The correct way to store garlic packed in oil for an extended period is to make a shitton of garlic toast and eat it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The commercial stuff won't give you botulism, they realized botulism isn't good

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
whole peeled cloves in a jar go moldy in like three days in my experience, and the chopped stuff in liquid is OK for some applications like garlic toast but if you want the real bite of real garlic it doesn't come close.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

theres a will theres moe posted:

whole peeled cloves in a jar go moldy in like three days in my experience, and the chopped stuff in liquid is OK for some applications like garlic toast but if you want the real bite of real garlic it doesn't come close.

Me too

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

The commercial stuff won't give you botulism, they realized botulism isn't good

big govt can't tell me how to live my life

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Croatoan posted:

What in the hell would the breast temp be then? No wonder why so many people hate turkey.

Take it off at 150 for the breast, 160 for the thighs. They will rise during the rest.

Food safety is for the lowest common denominator. Salmonella lethality at 150 degrees is 91 seconds. You think your bird may be at 150 for more than 91 seconds? It's safe. 159 degrees is the instant kill zone. Which is why they say 165. Because you can't loving die from salmonella of you overcook the shi t out of it .

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, it's more or less "better safe than sorry" with a dash of "covering our asses"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I wasn't asking for safety. I was saying if you cooked it to that temp the breasts must be dryer as gently caress and probably more like 180*

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I got an enameled Dutch oven as a gift and I'm loving it. What are some good recipes to make in it?

I had to move my oven racks so it's fit in the oven with the lid on.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I got an enameled Dutch oven as a gift and I'm loving it. What are some good recipes to make in it?

Here's a good looking braised short ribs recipe.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/red-wine-braised-short-ribs

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I made Yorkshire pudding in a cast iron Dutch oven out of necessity once, and it came out amazing. Use the joy of cast iron to get it and the oil ripping hot before you put the batter in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If it's Le Creuset with a plastic knob, it can't go in the oven above 375° or it'll melt. You can buy a steel knob and swap them to do stuff like no-knead bread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bake bread in it! But yeah check your handle temp range. The booklet that came with it should confirm the max temp. You can just remove it and the small hole doesn't affect it much.

It's great for anything that requires sauteeing + deglazing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Bread is the poo poo in a Dutch oven

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I got a dutch oven for Christmas last year and it's the best gift I've received in a long time. Here is a really easy pork ragu that I love to make for friends. Recipe is easily doubled, and you can swap in dried fettucine for the pasta if you don't have anywhere to buy fresh pappardelle.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chard posted:

big govt can't tell me how to live my life

I just got yelled at by a moderator on a Facebook group for suggesting that someone who advised flash boiling meat to prevent botulism shouldn't be telling people to do that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's Le Creuset with a plastic knob, it can't go in the oven above 375° or it'll melt. You can buy a steel knob and swap them to do stuff like no-knead bread.

That's exactly what I did, and why. I always had trouble with the bread sticking to the sides but others didn't.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

pile of brown posted:

I just got yelled at by a moderator on a Facebook group for suggesting that someone who advised flash boiling meat to prevent botulism shouldn't be telling people to do that.

Just change the water if you’re using the same cleansing vat for clothing and food.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A riddle: when does 1 cup + 1 cup = 1.5 cups?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BrianBoitano posted:

A riddle: when does 1 cup + 1 cup = 1.5 cups?

liquid + dry?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yup! In this case, sugar and water for simple syrup. I mostly posted it so anyone else who needs, say, 2 oz of simple (or demarara) syrup they'll know they need 1 1/3 oz (or 1 oz 2 tsp) of each ingredient.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BrianBoitano posted:

Yup! In this case, sugar and water for simple syrup. I mostly posted it so anyone else who needs, say, 2 oz of simple (or demarara) syrup they'll know they need 1 1/3 oz (or 1 oz 2 tsp) of each ingredient.

Mass won't change though :v:

If you're talking fluid ounces, then yes, it changes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well yeah. I've never seen a cocktail recipe which uses mass (or weight, if we're being pedantic)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BrianBoitano posted:

Well yeah. I've never seen a cocktail recipe which uses mass (or weight, if we're being pedantic)

Actually, that's mass. Weight is mass times gravity, and thus a force. Your mass will not change in space, but your weight will. You need a spring scale to properly measure weight. When you "weigh" something, you're actually are getting its mass, but for most casual uses, they're interchangeable. The unit of weight, in SI, is actually the newton.

:goonsay:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The nth-degree pedantry is that one cannot measure mass without an inertial balance, thus anything one measures at home (spring scale, electric scale, hell tbb) is likely to be weight, which is then converted to mass via the assumption of standard gravity.

:goonsaybutbigger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

The nth-degree pedantry is that one cannot measure mass without an inertial balance, thus anything one measures at home (spring scale, electric scale, hell tbb) is likely to be weight, which is then converted to mass via the assumption of standard gravity.

:goonsaybutbigger:

Actually ACTUALLY, inertial balance is only required in free fall. A simple balance beam scale measures mass directly, not weight. And just lol if you're not getting out the brass counterweights for your kitchen precision.