Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at least in the specific case of "sending all the W2's over email" there should be training so that even if the actual CEO legit tells you to do that, you don't automatically do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
email should never be used for task management and only for notification from a real task management system to prevent that kind of thing from ever happening. so if CEO sends a request you don't do it unless theres a ticket for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They're running the in-house wifi and the control network over the same switches with vlan segregation (weight/space savings) and possibly other additional controls with I assume none of the management interfaces being exposed on the in-house side which is where the APs would live. There's been a bunch of speculation but I don't believe anything conclusive has been published on how they jumped in to the control network and the avionics systems. Owning the AP itself probably won't get you there but it might expose you to some kind of management port on the switches to compromise and pivot to.

Just victims of the in-house wifi
They say hack, you say sky high

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/0XDEDBEEF/status/929911025595551744

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this owns

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

am i the only one who feels phishing tests are worthless. the way i see it used is mainly secops being shitheads. “haha gotcha u dummy”. it sucks rear end for morale and the tools don’t care if the user didn’t interact with the phish.

the only thing phishing tests prove is that people whose job is to click emails click emails.

Our IT dept sends out test phishing emails that kinda sorta look like they come from HR and then follows it up with a "You could have Putin on your pc now if you clicked on that link in real life, you dumb idiot!" message later in the day.

An hour after that, HR will invariably send out a legit important firmwide email w/attachment an hour or two later and then get mad because no one opened it and read it.

Every loving time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think the solution here is to get rid of email

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it is at least a huge historical mistake to conflate internal and external communication in one interface, at least for 99% of employees

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Extremely good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wrote her real name on it tho, smh

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

how do you know its her real name though...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
same way you know the kid's name is joe_brown_1985 and not commemorating the death of the american figurative sculptor

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

infernal machines posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41969061

quote:

During the Huddle sign-in process, the customer's device requests an authorisation code.
According to Huddle, if two people arrived on the same login server within 20 milliseconds of one another, they would both be issued the same authorisation code.
This authorisation code is carried over to the next step, in which a security token is issued, letting the customer access their Huddle.
Since both User A and User B present the same authorisation code, whoever is fastest to request the security token is logged in as User A.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
srand(0) or a near equivalent strikes again!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/TheHackersNews/status/930133662141689856

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this one doesn't surprise me too much, but i would be interested to know how much variation faceid is willing to allow

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Reminds me of the Japanese cigarette vending machines that looked at your face to determine your age, which could be defeated by... a magazine cover.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious how much the phone's owner participated in that, the writeup and video don't make it clear. high rez face photos and 3D scans would not be easy to do on the sly and would be totally infeasible if you don't know who the owner is in the first place (phone obtained through street crime etc)

anthonypants posted:

this one doesn't surprise me too much, but i would be interested to know how much variation faceid is willing to allow

there's an apple white paper somewhere that talks about how faceid dynamically updates to keep track of your face changing. like if you let it scan you, validation fails, but then you immediately enter the correct pin the phone assumes that's just what you look like now and integrates the data from the failed scan into its internal model. this is how it handles haircuts, glasses, etc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

there's an apple white paper somewhere that talks about how faceid dynamically updates to keep track of your face changing. like if you let it scan you, validation fails, but then you immediately enter the correct pin the phone assumes that's just what you look like now and integrates the data from the failed scan into its internal model. this is how it handles haircuts, glasses, etc
hmm, i wear glasses when i'm at home and contacts when i go out so i wonder how that'll work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

minato posted:

Reminds me of the Japanese cigarette vending machines that looked at your face to determine your age, which could be defeated by... a magazine cover.

so long as it passes the legal tick box

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

From that thread

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

hmm, i wear glasses when i'm at home and contacts when i go out so i wonder how that'll work

i have two very different pairs of glasses (some smaller rectangle ones and some big rear end ray-bans) and trying faceid for maybe the first time without either pair of glasses just now didn't work

but then i entered my passcode and it worked so…

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

I'm curious how much the phone's owner participated in that, the writeup and video don't make it clear. high rez face photos and 3D scans would not be easy to do on the sly and would be totally infeasible if you don't know who the owner is in the first place (phone obtained through street crime etc)

With two OK photos of someone's face you can order 3d printed masks online that are pretty good, I've been able to do it just off my public Facebook photos. Realistically your face at any level of detail is public information, it's 2017 high res data is everywhere.

Face is a stupid unlock mode and Apple users are gonna get bit in so many terrible ways but people will keep defending it :smithicide:.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

can someone confirm my memory re: wikileaks circa 2010ish, iirc they showed a real world example of using ss7 to track a mobile phone across the globe - an actual example involving a journalist, not just tools/docs from other groups. i'm extremely sure this happened but i can't find any evidence. it wasn't big news at the time, just snuck into the announcement of another leak.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Just before the stroke of midnight on September 20, 2016, at the height of last year’s presidential election, the Wikileaks Twitter account sent a private direct message to Donald Trump Jr., the Republican nominee’s oldest son and campaign surrogate. “A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch,” Wikileaks wrote. “The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is ‘putintrump.’ See ‘About’ for who is behind it. Any comments?” (The site, which has since become a joint project with Mother Jones, was founded by Rob Glaser, a tech entrepreneur, and was funded by Progress for USA Political Action Committee.)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao someone else did a 'ehh a guid() is good enough for this' I see

edit:wait wait hang on are they using a shared session state across users or using the id as the session key or something? because even my lovely "send a guid to the browser and back to check that they actually viewed the page before hitting an action" process would maintain user segregation if the same guid was used

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 14, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I wish WikiLeaks actually delivered what it used to promise and wasn't just a weak sauce mouthpiece for Russian poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
don jr did a trumpism

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/930228239494209536

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/930228342774816769

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/930228511343865858

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

It's fine, there's no collision here.

Everything is fine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

It's fine, there's no collision here.

Everything is fine.
what are you going to do about it

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

anthonypants posted:

what are you going to do about it

:justpost:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao someone else did a 'ehh a guid() is good enough for this' I see

edit:wait wait hang on are they using a shared session state across users or using the id as the session key or something? because even my lovely "send a guid to the browser and back to check that they actually viewed the page before hitting an action" process would maintain user segregation if the same guid was used
my guess is they used gettimeofday(), but they used something dumb to generate a 2fa code, two or more people logging in at the same time could see the same code, and whoever entered the code first would get a cookie for one of those accounts

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/930232899042869248

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yospos, twithc

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

isn’t this all public info just by typing in a user into the url bar?

like you can’t actually edit right? if you can’t edit it’s not a goof it’s fine

e: filing a bug report anyway cuz the ui behavior is unexpected even if benign, should still get fixed

Sniep fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 14, 2017

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
yeah literally no private info or security implication

insecurity fuckup

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can someone confirm my memory re: wikileaks circa 2010ish, iirc they showed a real world example of using ss7 to track a mobile phone across the globe - an actual example involving a journalist, not just tools/docs from other groups. i'm extremely sure this happened but i can't find any evidence. it wasn't big news at the time, just snuck into the announcement of another leak.
I dunno about WL but there was a talk about that at 25c3 and a follow-up at 31C3. the 31c3 talk shows some tracking data they collected over a week or so. I don't remember the 25c3 one

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

minato posted:

That's working as designed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/oneplus-engineering-apk-exposes-backdoor-to-root-access/

anroid still bad

• Locked thread