Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a way to save all your open iOS tabs in Safari Mobile somehow so I can clear everything up and start over?

I've got a Pinboard user, but I don't think there's a Tabs feature for viewing and saving all open tabs unless i'm mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have an iPad mini 2 that’s so insanely slow and old I would like to replace it. The two Options I’m looking at are an iPad mini 4, or a refurbished 9.7” 2016 iPad Pro. Which one is the better option for performance and overall usability, and would be a bit more future-proof? My impression is that both of these for a few dollars more are faster and have a nicer display than the basic bitch iPad.

If I saved up a bit, would the newest iPad Pro be a better value? I would not be using it as a laptop, so I feel that amount of power and money isn’t worth it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have an iPad mini 2 that’s so insanely slow and old I would like to replace it. The two Options I’m looking at are an iPad mini 4, or a refurbished 9.7” 2016 iPad Pro. Which one is the better option for performance and overall usability, and would be a bit more future-proof? My impression is that both of these for a few dollars more are faster and have a nicer display than the basic bitch iPad.

If I saved up a bit, would the newest iPad Pro be a better value? I would not be using it as a laptop, so I feel that amount of power and money isn’t worth it.

There have been some really good deals on Pro's recently. I'd normally say no, the faster CPU and better screen aren't worth the premium unless you also need the smart connector + Pencil, but if the difference is within $200 then it's less of a slam dunk.

Otherwise I'd suggest the iPad 5. It gets a bad reputation because the screen technology is older, but it's a really good deal for a consumption/entertainment device.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What’s your budget? There’s a few deals this Black Friday you should be able to capitalize on.

iPad 5 (current) is going to be $250 at a bunch of stores.
iPad mini is going to be down to $300 at a couple places.
iPad Pro 10.5 was down to $500 yesterday at Sam’s Club, may pop back up soon.

I would say either get the iPad 5 or iPad Pro. The mini is getting old and may not survive the next round of refreshes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So every time I plug my IPad Air 2 into my into my PC's front USB 2.0 slots it flashes "allow this device to access photos and videos message" over and over very rapidly and is unresponsive. It works just fine when plugged directly into the motherboards USB 3.0 slots in the back.

Every other USB device works fine with the front slots. I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is or find a fix online. I don't have iTunes installed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I don’t really have a budget. But an iPad Pro 9.7 (the 2016) is only $429 or something while the new iPad Pro is $650. Is the newer one that much better of a tablet?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

iPad 5 (current) is going to be $250 at a bunch of stores.
I dropped my Mini 2 and am buying one of those next time I see one on Slickdeals

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t really have a budget. But an iPad Pro 9.7 (the 2016) is only $429 or something while the new iPad Pro is $650. Is the newer one that much better of a tablet?

One generation better CPU, maybe more RAM, 120mhz refresh, slightly better larger screen.

I have a 9.7 inch Pro. The $429 is a good deal.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Having a small problem with Safari and the tab key.

We have a BlueTooth barcode scanner and we'd like it to send a tab after the barcode.

What happens is the tab is inserted in the text box, instead of going to the next field on the web page.

If we plug a USB keyboard into the iPad, the exact same thing happens when we hit the tab key.

Safari and Notes have this problem, but in the Adobe Fill app and the Reminders app, the tab key doesn't behave this way.

Is there a way to change the behavior in Safari, or even system-wide?

No. There is a similar issue with how arrow keys are handled in iOS Webkit-based apps including Safari and many apps that haven't been specially written to handle special keyboard keys. The only way to fix it is to use some special Javascript workarounds on the page to detect the keypress and handle it accordingly. iOS Webkit just doesn't send tab or arrow key presses in the same way normal browsers do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

One generation better CPU, maybe more RAM, 120mhz refresh, slightly better larger screen.

I have a 9.7 inch Pro. The $429 is a good deal.

It's obviously not my money, but I would spend the additional $70 for a 10.5" if I could get that deal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was deciding between the 9.7” and 10.5” for a while. The 9.7” has 2gb of ram while the 10.5” has 4gb. The ProMotion screen is very nice in-person, and a big improvement if you use the Apple pen. Also the base storage was doubled from 32gb to 64gb so your entry point has twice the storage as well.

I’d say if you can find a 10.5” for $499 on Black Friday, get one of those. $70 for double the ram, double the storage and a better screen is well worth it. If not, the 9.7” is still a great unit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The Black Friday $500 deal is good advice and I’m going to do that. I don’t really need the pen but my kids love to draw and it’s certainly a better activity than roblox or iPad Minecraft. Thanks goons.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a 10.5 pro yesterday and holy smokes is the screen nice

I found it funny that apple doesnt sell a back cover for it because they're so hard on slinging keyboards though

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

I got a 10.5 pro yesterday and holy smokes is the screen nice

I found it funny that apple doesnt sell a back cover for it because they're so hard on slinging keyboards though

I got a back cover on Amazon for under $20 that matches the Smart Keyboard perfectly. And still fits inside my leather sleeve.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, weird. They definitely used to sell back covers, as I have one on my 12.9" right now, and they have one color in stock for 9.7" models. I guess they weren't selling well enough to bother. Not sure what keyboards have to do with that as they still sell smart covers.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to view my queue in the Podcast app on iOS 11? I can add episodes to a queue but for the life of me can't figure out how to see what's up next.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

By deleting it and using a good app.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FCKGW posted:

I was deciding between the 9.7” and 10.5” for a while. The 9.7” has 2gb of ram while the 10.5” has 4gb. The ProMotion screen is very nice in-person, and a big improvement if you use the Apple pen. Also the base storage was doubled from 32gb to 64gb so your entry point has twice the storage as well.

I’d say if you can find a 10.5” for $499 on Black Friday, get one of those. $70 for double the ram, double the storage and a better screen is well worth it. If not, the 9.7” is still a great unit.

Target and Best Buy are selling the 10.5" 64GB for ~$530 on Black Friday. Can't find any deals on the 256GB, bummer.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Helpful.

In Pocket Casts, pull up the Now Playing view by tapping on it at the bottom and then swipe left to see your queue. Swipe the other way for show notes on the playing episode.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Hey thanks for the help!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Install Overcast, problem solved.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey thanks for the help!

People have been complaining about the podcasts app since the minute it came out, and every OS revision it some of the minority who found it acceptable for their incredibly limited use cases talk about how some feature was removed making it worse. It's good advice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's at its best been acceptable for basic use, but every revision seems to make it worse, and there's free alternatives that are quite good, so that is the best advice to fixing whatever your issue is unless you absolutely insist on syncing with iTunes for some reason.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's at its best been acceptable for basic use, but every revision seems to make it worse, and there's free alternatives that are quite good, so that is the best advice to fixing whatever your issue is unless you absolutely insist on syncing with iTunes for some reason.

i kept using it for far longer than i should because i liked the idea of the playback position syncing with itunes. turns out that never worked reliably anyway, and i wouldn't really wish itunes on my worst enemy

smr
Dec 18, 2002

withak posted:

Install Overcast, problem solved.

Whoops; I thought he was asking about Pocket Casts, not the garbage default app.

As to Overcast... man, I have paid for that app and everything, but I just bounce off of it HARD. It's crap. It struggles with keeping album art for my podcasts, the UI is a dog's breakfast, I just do not get the hivemind on it. I'll take Pocket Casts all day every day (and they have a much better web client as well).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When was the last time you used it? It's been through a lot of UI changes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smr posted:

Whoops; I thought he was asking about Pocket Casts, not the garbage default app.

As to Overcast... man, I have paid for that app and everything, but I just bounce off of it HARD. It's crap. It struggles with keeping album art for my podcasts, the UI is a dog's breakfast, I just do not get the hivemind on it. I'll take Pocket Casts all day every day (and they have a much better web client as well).

it's a good app, brent

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remember the tape reel in ios 5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

Remember the tape reel in ios 5

It's all been downhill since they got rid of it!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

It's all been downhill since they got rid of it!

I thought they kept that longer after removing the skeuomorphism from everything else

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

I thought they kept that longer after removing the skeuomorphism from everything else

Nah, it was gone in the version that launched with iOS 7.

iOS 6:

iOS 7:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When was the last time you used it? It's been through a lot of UI changes

Literally earlier this week, so v.4? It's still a schizophrenic basket of bad UI choices. Love how the font is dependent on the app color, too. Makes total sense.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for the salty reply; I only occasionally listen to podcasts on the iPad so the default app has been fine. I figured it was a 'me being stupid' issue not an 'Apple literally won't let you view your queue' issue. :psyduck:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sorry for the salty reply; I only occasionally listen to podcasts on the iPad so the default app has been fine. I figured it was a 'me being stupid' issue not an 'Apple literally won't let you view your queue' issue. :psyduck:

The native Apple podcast app is one of the most hateful native apps of any platform. I'd be angry at it, too. Good thing there are a bunch of solid to great alternatives.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Scroll down from the playback screen, same as Apple Music.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How precise the pencil for the ipad pro?

I study and write Japanese and was wondering if it would be useful to write in the answers of pdfs I make of my workbooks.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

hadji murad posted:

How precise the pencil for the ipad pro?

I study and write Japanese and was wondering if it would be useful to write in the answers of pdfs I make of my workbooks.

Very.

Also, what do you use to study? I’ve been interested for years.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use it to write Chinese erryday, OP.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

Scroll down from the playback screen, same as Apple Music.

Ah so it was a me being stupid thing!

Thank you! Podcasts app is perfect again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s the easiest way to annotate a document? I already have Goodreader but don’t want to click something before writing.

I want to add the pdf then go hog wild.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Very.

Also, what do you use to study? I’ve been interested for years.

Do you mean textbooks?