Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Uroboros posted:

Most of these guys seem to have become initially popular back when Dawkins, Harris, etc enjoyed the height of their popularity. Of those listed in the OP Thunderfoot was the only one I ever listened to, although I was at least aware of the others. I always did find it depressing that so many devolved into madness over feminism.

I don’t know if anyone has brought it up before, but does anyone have examples of popular youtube atheists/skeptics that didn’t go this route into basically turning on their own liberal ideals, or losing sight of what made them initially begin their videos?

A few that I still really enjoy are:

AronRa – Popular for his fantastic Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism videos and the head of the Texas branch of American Atheists. Seems pretty predicated to the advocacy of liberal causes, especially in the realm of education.

Potholer54 – Journalist who has made a large number of really good videos in support of climate change, directly addressing the lies and misinformation put out by deniers.

TheraminTrees – Doesn’t put out much these days, but had a great video series that chronicled his movement from religious fundamentalist to skeptic. This guy really resonated with me at the time, and it is a shame he doesn’t do much anymore, also his voice is very soothing and easy to listen to.

i like the bible realoaded. they sometimes have shitheads on but they never go reactionary and they havent had shitheads on in a while. they are pretty progressive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Interweb posted:

I was arguing with some jerkoff a while back about this dude. This guy was complaining that people using the wrong gender term for trans people will cause them to go to jail cause of that law in Canada that Peterson is against. I pointed out to him that nowhere does it say anyone will be imprisoned (or even fined) if they accidentally misgender someone. At this point he shifted the goal posts to saying that okay, maybe no one will go to jail, but the law forces people to use the pronouns that the trans person in question wants, and that's "compelled speech" and is therefore a bridge too far.
So does he think that 'compelling' people to call persons of African descent black or African instead of a whole lot of other words at the risk of job loss and social ostracism is a bridge too far too? Because it's a coin toss between "no that's different because..." and "hell yeah we used to call them..."

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell is a postmodern neomarxist?

Cos I think mostly just 150 year old marxism is good enough for me a lot of the time.
If I had to guess in good faith, I'd say it was someone who turned Marxist class analysis to other issues. Marx and Engels already did this in a basic manner for race and gender, but Marxist Feminist dialectic and BPP Maoism took the thought much further. Then you got Red Butterfly and Marxist analysis of LGB issues, and so on. Someone who put honest thought into why a landlord couldn't just choose to self-define as proletarian would be engaging in postmodern neomarxism.

In reality it's thingidon'tlike badperson.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what the gently caress does he teach? I am history major and outside weird CJ minor and interest herptology, i dont know dick about your or his field.

Much of his work is centered around personality research (‘the big five’) and its correlation with various other traits like spirituality and political alignment. It’s medium impact stuff, but nothing particularly groundbreaking or awful. Personality research is still a bit of a crap shoot honestly.

As for specifically what classes he teaches? Well, I go to a competing university in southern Ontario- not the same university. So I honestly have no clue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If I had to guess in good faith, I'd say it was someone who turned Marxist class analysis to other issues. Marx and Engels already did this in a basic manner for race and gender, but Marxist Feminist dialectic and BPP Maoism took the thought much further. Then you got Red Butterfly and Marxist analysis of LGB issues, and so on. Someone who put honest thought into why a landlord couldn't just choose to self-define as proletarian would be engaging in postmodern neomarxism.

In reality it's thingidon'tlike badperson.

Yeah but as you said, marxism is a framework that can be applied to things, so applying it to other stuff is just... what it's for...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but the OG Marxists were homophobic af, so Red Butterfly applying Marxian frameworks to oppression of sexuality could be seen realistically as a neo-Marxism.

If you can have neo-Nazis, who are still Nazis, and applying their lovely thought to modern issues, it makes sense that you can have neo-Marxism.

Putting it within a postmodern framework would involve taking the idea that a single form of Marxism is not applicable to all cultures, and forcing a European Marxism onto, say, Native Americans could be an oppressive act in and of itself. (Some Native Americans leftists have said as much, and that they have their own liberationary models.) It could also examine how people can be oppressed based on self-defined labels.

I'm 95% sure I've just put more thought into this than he ever did.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

JVNO posted:

Much of his work is centered around personality research (‘the big five’) and its correlation with various other traits like spirituality and political alignment. It’s medium impact stuff, but nothing particularly groundbreaking or awful. Personality research is still a bit of a crap shoot honestly.

As for specifically what classes he teaches? Well, I go to a competing university in southern Ontario- not the same university. So I honestly have no clue.

He's apparently not teaching anything this year. He's taking time off to tweet hot takes like this
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/928981541849522176

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

aware of dog posted:

He's apparently not teaching anything this year. He's taking time off to tweet hot takes like this

I love watching these guys go full Wahhabist Sahwa in 2017 and then argue that they're somehow more civilized than other societies plagued by people like them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

So does he think that 'compelling' people to call persons of African descent black or African instead of a whole lot of other words at the risk of job loss and social ostracism is a bridge too far too? Because it's a coin toss between "no that's different because..." and "hell yeah we used to call them..."

I asked him something similar, and he said that forcing someone to not say something (i.e. you can't say the n-word to a Black person) is different than if a trans person forced him to say something like "zhe" and only that pronoun.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, he has this weird idea that society is held together by tape and sticky tack and is constantly on the verge of utter collapse. His books basically espouse the dangers of dismantling societal norms, and likes to fellate the importance of judeo Christian values while identifying as personally agnostic. This is where he goes completely off the rails and beyond his expertise I feel.

In a creepy way his rhetoric reminds me of the emphasis on ‘cultural Christianity’ espoused by Anders Breivek.

Mr Interweb posted:

I asked him something similar, and he said that forcing someone to not say something (i.e. you can't say the n-word to a Black person) is different than if a trans person forced him to say something like "zhe" and only that pronoun.

... How?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JVNO posted:

... How?

Also, How in the sense of how does he think that happens?

Are the transtasi following people around with cattle prods and zapping them every time they use the wrong pronoun?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

This kind of shut makes me angry. The whole "made-up" pronouns thing is such a blatant attempt to delegitimize trans and non binary people by casting their desire for respect and equal treatment as unreasonable. It comes from the same place as the ranting and raving SJW stereotypes that you see in Ben Garrison cartoons. It allows them to maintain a veneer of respectability: no, they're not actually bigoted, they just hate those lgbtq people, you know the ones. As retweeted by JBP himself:
https://twitter.com/roamingmil/status/930211094508994562

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Uroboros posted:

Potholer54 – Journalist who has made a large number of really good videos in support of climate change, directly addressing the lies and misinformation put out by deniers.

Seconding Potholer54, his climate change videos that I have seen are great in explaining the different aspects and countering denier claims. He seems to take a less absolutist stance about science compared to the usual skeptic-to-alt-light personalities and he has a good introduction in how to approach reading scientific research.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aware of dog posted:

This kind of shut makes me angry. The whole "made-up" pronouns thing is such a blatant attempt to delegitimize trans and non binary people by casting their desire for respect and equal treatment as unreasonable. It comes from the same place as the ranting and raving SJW stereotypes that you see in Ben Garrison cartoons. It allows them to maintain a veneer of respectability: no, they're not actually bigoted, they just hate those lgbtq people, you know the ones. As retweeted by JBP himself:

There is an excellent reason not to call her "she" and that's that "twatface" is a much better pronoun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Let's not let our opposition to SJWs turn us into a-holes, k? " loving lmao you're already there sister.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I swear to god the moment some nerd says Postmodernism in a sneering tone I break out in hives coz I just instinctually know I'm gonna hear some searingly hot takes.

Where did the lovely manchild hate-on for Postmodernism originate from? (inb4 it turns out it was the actual loving Nazis like a lot of this dumb poo poo).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JVNO posted:

... How?

By this point he gave up on arguing that this had some practical effect on his life but that THEORETICALLY this could be used by some evil trans person looking for trouble and also that this was a principled free speech (tm) issue so it doesn't really matter what the actual outcomes are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Let's not let our opposition to SJWs turn us into a-holes, k? " loving lmao you're already there sister.

“...and now for my special guest, Richard Spencer!”

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SteelMentor posted:

Where did the lovely manchild hate-on for Postmodernism originate from? (inb4 it turns out it was the actual loving Nazis like a lot of this dumb poo poo).

its just a buzzword that people who think of themselves as rogue academics or outlaw autodidacts love to throw around to explain their divergence with academia

it's a totally meaningless term unless qualified. postmodern what? postmodernism isn't a single coherent field or adjective, it means a bunch of different things - in literature, in philosophy, in architecture, etc. because of the unfortunate habit that people had as describing themselves as "modernist" a few decades ago

but it sounds intellectual and it vaguely means, without qualification, "new things" so you can just sneer out "i disagree with postmodernism" and get other idiots to agree with you

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Blaire White attacked in Hollywood (nail broken/drink thrown on her) for wearing MAGA hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyHB0COkw3s

Of course, this is Blaire White, so for all we know this was staged.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Mr Interweb posted:

By this point he gave up on arguing that this had some practical effect on his life but that THEORETICALLY this could be used by some evil trans person looking for trouble and also that this was a principled free speech (tm) issue so it doesn't really matter what the actual outcomes are.

The move on, because this individual is more interested in their fever dreams of persecution than having an intellectually honest debate.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Blaire White attacked in Hollywood (nail broken/drink thrown on her) for wearing MAGA hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyHB0COkw3s

Feel bad for the person who paid for that drink, a waste of valuble liquid

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fallenturtle posted:

"i'm just going to put this hat on and film myself walking around as an experiment" *heads directly to nearest anti-trump protest*

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The Right's so desperate to be oppressed.

Which is double stupid for Blaire with her being trans and all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SteelMentor posted:

I swear to god the moment some nerd says Postmodernism in a sneering tone I break out in hives coz I just instinctually know I'm gonna hear some searingly hot takes.

Some of the manchild skeptics hate academic postmodern and poststructural frameworks because they postulate that there's a ton of things that cannot be broken down into black and white well defined groups and universal laws and so either "where's your evidence this humanities book is not hard science" or "they want to turn everyone into pansexual genderqueer race mixers" depending on how far down the rabbit hole they are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I love watching these guys go full Wahhabist Sahwa in 2017 and then argue that they're somehow more civilized than other societies plagued by people like them.

yeah, pretty much.

SteelMentor posted:

i am mixed on it but that's just the history major in me. its not a bad thing in its self at all. hell most of it is good. learning about oppressed groups from their own sources and other cultures from their own sources as well of being critical of how and what is taught in history. personally, i think some people take it to far and get too "judgmental". in history as most of my teachers have said. your supposed to be objective in your papers and classes. like you can't attack say, Erasmus for not having 21st century progressive ideals. and some people just want to scrap any history humanities class that doesn't bend exactly to their sensibilities or politics. (the alt right does that all the time as do some on left) i am describing it badly so i'll just stop. sorry. but no postmodern humanities isnt bad, it just attracts some dumbasses.

aware of dog posted:

jesus, even if you think that poo poo, just be polite and call them their preferred pronoun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Attacks on postmodernism as a blanket term are often tied to critiques of postmodernist relativism(epistemological or moral) or obscurantism(think Sokal hoax). While postmodern movement thinkers in some fields do have genuine issues with both of these, the details of these more narrow and actor-specific problems have nothing to do with the person making the attack on "postmodernism" as a whole, because the person making the attack is unfailingly completely ignorant of the significant details involved. If they were familiar with the actual problem, they'd talk about it instead of "postmodernism".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

imagine being so stupid you think anyone cares about misgendering some dragonkin weirdo that probably exists nowhere but a random tumblr post.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Groovelord Neato posted:

imagine being so stupid you think anyone cares about misgendering some dragonkin weirdo that probably exists nowhere but a random tumblr post.

In an attempt to disprove your thesis I inadvertently found this. These things appear to reproduce by bleeding in each other's hands and don't poop, but they still have two genders. I...I forget where I was going with this.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's part of the increasingly cringey problem of Extremely Online People who spend so much time on internet that they vastly overblow the influence of tumblr dragonkin on society

like, you kind of need to be forced to interact with a wide variety of different people so you can get a sense of what baseline normal is, lest you think that it's normal to have an opinion on gamergate or the color of sonic's arms

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Attacks on postmodernism as a blanket term are often tied to critiques of postmodernist relativism(epistemological or moral) or obscurantism(think Sokal hoax). While postmodern movement thinkers in some fields do have genuine issues with both of these, the details of these more narrow and actor-specific problems have nothing to do with the person making the attack on "postmodernism" as a whole, because the person making the attack is unfailingly completely ignorant of the significant details involved. If they were familiar with the actual problem, they'd talk about it instead of "postmodernism".

yeah, the relativism and poo poo are my issues with it, its the people delivering it rather then the concept. but as concept its good thing. these people just use it as buzzword= BADTHING.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

In an attempt to disprove your thesis I inadvertently found this. These things appear to reproduce by bleeding in each other's hands and don't poop, but they still have two genders. I...I forget where I was going with this.

you are history's greatest monster.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these people just use it as buzzword= BADTHING.

Just like Cultural Marxism is also an actual thing, but has next to nothing to do with how it’s actually used by alt right shitheads- that being a synonym for ‘thing I don’t like’

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

aware of dog posted:

reminder that it took until like, the 1970s for it to be illegal for a husband to rape his wife. when sex was "traditionally" enshrined in marriage it was only for men.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

:nms: http://dragoia.wikia.com/wiki/SinBragia :nms:

jesus christ.

:nms: :nms:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do these guys really think high schoolers didn't gently caress back in the day??

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

do these guys really think high schoolers didn't gently caress back in the day??

well, they sure as gently caress didn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're basing it on their personal experience.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah but back then they* faced the consequences

*Mostly the women.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and louis ck was married during some of his public pud pulling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Ash Crimson posted:

Feel bad for the person who paid for that drink, a waste of valuble liquid

Don't worry, Blaire probably reimbursed him.

• Locked thread