Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm planning on the trip next year and I was thinking the RX7. Which was your favorite?
When are you going? I'll be there in September, going to go with the AE86.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most likely late September - early October :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Most likely late September - early October :)
Haha, awesome, exactly the same for me - drop me a PM nearer the time, maybe we can meet up for some beers or something. Also be good to know what kind of other car stuff you've got planned, I'm sorting out a list of things I want to do which I haven't hit previously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Haha, awesome, exactly the same for me - drop me a PM nearer the time, maybe we can meet up for some beers or something. Also be good to know what kind of other car stuff you've got planned, I'm sorting out a list of things I want to do which I haven't hit previously.

Sounds good to me :) This isn't really a car focused trip since it's my first time over there and I'm bringing along my girlfriend. We shall see what happens though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds good to me :) This isn't really a car focused trip since it's my first time over there and I'm bringing along my girlfriend. We shall see what happens though.
Ok, cool, either way, let me know what sort of areas you want to go to and what you're looking for, and I'll maybe have some suggestions for you. You'll be amazed how much exploring you can get done thanks to the rail pass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Ok, cool, either way, let me know what sort of areas you want to go to and what you're looking for, and I'll maybe have some suggestions for you. You'll be amazed how much exploring you can get done thanks to the rail pass.

The rail pass is worth every goddamn penny.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The guys with the RX7 complained that it didn't have much low end torque in The really tight switchbacks.

I only drove the r34 GT-R. It was more expensive but the NSX looked very fun. I would also consider maybe the S2k if/when I go again.

If you're feeling especially splurgey, I recommend staying at the Kinnotake Tonosawa ryokan, also in Hakone, and pay for the half board. Even the "smallest" room was enormous and lavish, the private bath was awesome and the public onsen was beautiful. And the food was exceptionally good. I only had one better meal, and that was doing omakase at a hole in the wall restaurant in hiroshima.

If you do decide to stay at the ryokan, spend the night there the day before you do Fun2Drive. That way there is no rush to get to the ryokan after the tour and you can better appreciate the amenities. The RX7 drivers were slow/late, got lost and burned up a lot more time.

Lastly, getting to Hakone:
While you can use your JR pass to get in that direction, it is much easier to get to Fun2drive directly by following their instructions and buying a express bus ticket in Tokyo, which was under ¥1,800. That bus drops you off right in front of Fun2Drive. Alternatively, you can take the shinkansen to Odawara and do a city bus to Hakone but it will cost you a similar amount of money and take the same amount of time to get there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thats really useful to know, thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MetaJew posted:

The guys with the RX7 complained that it didn't have much low end torque in The really tight switchbacks.

Where's the RADL?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Where's the RADL?

ITT: Tourists don't know how to downshift? I dunno, what do you want me to say? ;)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
As a former RX7 owner, yes, you have to rev the piss out of them. They're fun, but you can't go lugging them every time you slow down.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

ITT: Tourists don't know how to downshift? I dunno, what do you want me to say? ;)

I wanted you to say basically that, how you not gonna rev a rotary to the moon when you choose to drive one?! PICNIC problem in chair, not in car

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wanted you to say basically that, how you not gonna rev a rotary to the moon when you choose to drive one?! PICNIC problem in chair, not in car

ooh i like that acronym

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'll skip my whole rant on lazy drivers and how it fosters things like big boring engines and automatics then.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
To be fair they were very slow/tight turns so unless you were spinning the tires around the turn-- which you shouldn't do on public roads with oncoming traffic, you probably have to shift down to first gear and rev the piss out of them.

I managed to keep enough engine speed in the skyline to keep it in 2nd gear but the turbolag was real.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 13, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wonder if the 240Z or Hako would be be fun in that case

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Collateral Damage posted:

Do we have a funny car poo poo thread?

From the Roadkill el camino dragster episode

Oh, I got some stuff for this!

I will put those door stickers on my next race/autocross car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Darchangel posted:

Oh, I got some stuff for this!

I took that picture.

It's in this car:

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 14, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder if the 240Z or Hako would be be fun in that case

Yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

During the Monaco GP this year, Jenson Button said he was going to pee in Fernando Alonso's seat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=19175

:stare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

The "custom gearcase" is what I'm curious about. In one of the pictures it looks like the rear end end of the crankshafts are sticking through a single piece of 3x6 box section.

Twin engine builds always are interesting to me in matched power delivery, ie. Twin engine Tiburon, the twin Northstar eldorado, and the duo-rocco.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

The "custom gearcase" is what I'm curious about. In one of the pictures it looks like the rear end end of the crankshafts are sticking through a single piece of 3x6 box section.

Twin engine builds always are interesting to me in matched power delivery, ie. Twin engine Tiburon, the twin Northstar eldorado, and the duo-rocco.
Probably a gear or chain drive inside the box.

The rear "walking beam" axles on Scammell Pioneers and Explorers are similar but the other way round - "normal" axle output is gear driven out to the rear wheels at either end of the beam.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of chain drives....

https://youtu.be/w_F7QrR4Ur8?t=4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jamal posted:

I took that picture.

It's in this car:

Oh, cool! I love that picture. I won't swear to it, but I think I've had that picture since before I joined SA, but it's possible I got it from here (from you most likely, if so.)

That's a good one, too, but I know I got that one from a previous post, so didn't include it. Still funny.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not sure why they didn't just use hydraulic motors, since they were obviously running a hydraulic pump anyway. Probably cost/complexity.

Then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQZMmCvTEg

electric/hydraulic, with adjustable wheelbase, track, and height at each corner.

edit: and evolution of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVzFX9MkIU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I think I saw a twin-engine car in Hot Rod a few years ago, they had a kind of W-drive in which both crankshafts fed into enormous sprockets that chain-drove the input shaft of the transmission, also coupled to a sprocket.

I would assume this is sort of the same design. Direct gear drive is probably also possible but imagine how bad it would be if you lost engine sync.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Not sure why they didn't just use hydraulic motors, since they were obviously running a hydraulic pump anyway. Probably cost/complexity.

It can be a pain in the rear end sometimes to ummm Synchronize(?) four hydraulic motors to turn at the same speed, and then keep them that way.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I assume that if the chain comes off you just shift it into reverse to get it back on like pedaling backwards on a bike.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexiOL8I_3Y

Since we're talking twin engine cars. I never get tired of Double Trouble :allears:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

It can be a pain in the rear end sometimes to ummm Synchronize(?) four hydraulic motors to turn at the same speed, and then keep them that way.

So if your car was on level ground with all four wheels in contact, wouldn't your wheelspeed be regulated by the ground itself? If one wheel is turning faster than the others (and they're all getting approximately even flow and pressure in the first place), it's going to get slowed down because it's doing more work anyway, and the other ones are going to be putting out less torque so they'll spin faster?

I'm sure anyone who's ever worked with hydraulic motors has had the thought of using them in place of a transmission and I know there are problems, I just didn't think equalizing wheelspeed was one of them. If they're all freewheeling or connected to individual loads, yeah, that's a pain in the rear end.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnCb26kKC6U&t=390s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

boxen posted:

So if your car was on level ground with all four wheels in contact, wouldn't your wheelspeed be regulated by the ground itself? If one wheel is turning faster than the others (and they're all getting approximately even flow and pressure in the first place), it's going to get slowed down because it's doing more work anyway, and the other ones are going to be putting out less torque so they'll spin faster?

I'm sure anyone who's ever worked with hydraulic motors has had the thought of using them in place of a transmission and I know there are problems, I just didn't think equalizing wheelspeed was one of them. If they're all freewheeling or connected to individual loads, yeah, that's a pain in the rear end.

I have thought of hooking one up to a transmission from time to time, with a small gas engine running the pump.

I'm not sure the physics behind it, possibly because I don't know enough about hydraulics to be, you know smart and stuff.

At my old job we had a drill mounted on big assed monster truck tires, that had a hyd motor at all four wheels. It could be temperamental when in 4wd, but that was years ago, and at the time I didn't know enough about hydraulics to understand what the gently caress, and never really understood when I was told the solution anyway. I *think* that due to friction loss in the hoses and other hydraulic brickabrack, you really need to have flow and pressure balanced proper like a motherfucker or one wheel over powers the others, or drags while the others are pulling it along or something.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Kia Stinger GT first drive should be live tomorrow. Drove the AWD one first, was quite underwhelmed. Then spent some time in the RWD version this afternoon; believe the hype! If you’re contemplating buying one, save yourself $2200 and don’t get AWD (if you live somewhere snowy spend the money you’d save on some decent winter tires instead).

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
oh, god..

https://petrolicious.com/articles/first-look-the-latest-singer-modified-porsche-911-boasts-500hp-development-dream-team

:swoon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

yeah just that center console alone, much less the wheels and tires and dat rear flare.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Holy gently caress the power to weight on this tin can is crazy. 1UZ turbo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJzI_7db-4

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/0749-tpa/1934-ford-panther

24 Cylinders across 3 V8s