Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I was going to say if you're honestly participating in anything on reddit you should expect the worse but I forget the average redditor is well an idiot.

Reddit is what you make of it. If you curate some nice subs it can be enjoyable. The larger ones like Askreddit can be fun to read but if you get upvoted the dumbass brigade will roll out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

She apparently went through two failed cornea transplants and the procedures + antibiotics made her lose her eyebrows and hair and almost gave her blood poisoning and ultimately the eye had to be removed and now she has a prosthetic. Ultimately her insurance is refusing to pay for any of it since it was all “cosmetic”.

Which is absolutely horrible and tragic and emblematic of our broken healthcare system and her life is going to be forever impacted but also an amazingly thorough self-own tbh.

Death to the insurance industry

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

She apparently went through two failed cornea transplants and the procedures + antibiotics made her lose her eyebrows and hair and almost gave her blood poisoning and ultimately the eye had to be removed and now she has a prosthetic. Ultimately her insurance is refusing to pay for any of it since it was all “cosmetic”.

Which is absolutely horrible and tragic and emblematic of our broken healthcare system and her life is going to be forever impacted but also an amazingly thorough self-own tbh.

Couldn't she, y'know, sue the person who mailed the drat thing?

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip

Anne Whateley posted:

Iirc that imgur series wasn't due to a surprise glitterbomb, it was a model who used non–eye-safe glitter around her eyes for a photoshoot.

Anne is right, lady tried to legit put glitter in her eyes to sparkle. She was being stupid and vapid and it came up and bit her in the rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Iirc that imgur series wasn't due to a surprise glitterbomb, it was a model who used non–eye-safe glitter around her eyes for a photoshoot.

what is "eye-safe glitter?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am bold enough to dare contend that maybe losing an eye shouldn't cost you tens of thousands of dollars at minimum even if the root cause was a questionable cosmetics decision

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

loquacius posted:

I am bold enough to dare contend that maybe losing an eye shouldn't cost you tens of thousands of dollars at minimum even if the root cause was a questionable cosmetics decision

Im bold enough to dare say I don't want to pay for it, know it is like only .000001$ from me, but I refuse to support society promoting those who should have fallen to darwin's law.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

half coke half diet posted:

Im bold enough to dare say I don't want to pay for it, know it is like only .000001$ from me, but I refuse to support society promoting those who should have fallen to darwin's law.

have you considered that perhaps losing a loving eye is enough cosmic karmic punishment for the vile sin of using the wrong glitter

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sagebrush posted:

what is "eye-safe glitter?"
Glitter that's safe to use in the area of your eyes, that's used for eyeshadow and stuff, that's regulated by the FDA, specifically so you don't unthinkingly murder your eyes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Glitter that's safe to use in the area of your eyes, that's used for eyeshadow and stuff, that's regulated by the FDA, specifically so you don't unthinkingly murder your eyes

yeah but what's the difference? she got the infection apparently because a sharp corner nicked her cornea like a tiny papercut. is eye-safe glitter all rounded off or something?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Did you seriously just say you wouldn't give .000001$ to help someone avoid a life-changing maiming?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know my grandpa posted in this thread.

Hi Grandpa, please stop watching Fox.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sagebrush posted:

yeah but what's the difference? she got the infection apparently because a sharp corner nicked her cornea like a tiny papercut. is eye-safe glitter all rounded off or something?
Yes, it's in smooth shapes, it's made of different stuff, and it's clean like any other cosmetic.
http://itsmakeupnotmagic.blogspot.com/2014/02/cosmetic-glitter-vs-craft-glitter.html

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Please tell us more about how taxation is theft, and where your gold ingots are buried

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Probably should have made that confession anonymous

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Probably should have made that confession anonymous

What? I still pay, doesn't mean I cant have feelings on the matter of stupidity. Now if I said I wouldn't pay, I would be a monster. This way I'm only a sorta monster

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think I can live with that.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The puppet master is winning you fools

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The pupper master wouldn't glitter bomb he would obviously chalk dust bomb for the prank. :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Reddit is what you make of it. If you curate some nice subs it can be enjoyable. The larger ones like Askreddit can be fun to read but if you get upvoted the dumbass brigade will roll out.

You can say the same about a lot of things but they're still wastelands of the dumb no matter how much filtering you do.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I found the glitter woman and here is what she says is the cause:

imgur cyclops posted:

It was a totally normal day, I sat down to do some simple arts & crafts with my daughter and now I'm blind and going to have a good portion of my eye surgically removed early next week. This wasn't a "Ship your enemies glitter" or anything. Just a mom crafting with her kid. Be super careful, guys. This loving hurts.

So it's nothing to do with using craft glitter for cosmetics or a glitterbomb, she just must have gotten a particle on her finger and rubbed her eye without thinking.

Here's the post with the eye removal and links to all the other galleries: https://imgur.com/gallery/yX598. Honestly, I'm not very squeamish about eye stuff because I wear contacts a lot, but even having bad conjunctivitis for a couple of weeks once was awful so I can imagine the amount of pain, light sensitivity and in the end just desire to get the loving eye out and be done with it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

You can say the same about a lot of things but they're still wastelands of the dumb no matter how much filtering you do.

OTOH most people are so dumb or blatant that if you play it straight you can troll people pretty hard:

For example, I recently I started trolling /r/legaladvice and even the mods take the bait:

(Top post is not mine, just replies)

[Minnesota] Is it illegal to shoot my stalker's drone?(self.legaladvice)

OP posted:

Said stalker has verbalized plans to fly a drone over my home and property tomorrow. If I see it, can I shoot it? If it lands on my property, can I dispose of the remains?

Thank you.

I decided to use my combination of legal acumen and shitposting skills to create a masterful troll:

my parachute posted:

Minnosota is a stand your ground state. If OP is in fear of her life, not being certain if this drone is operated by her stalker, or perhaps a terrorist. Drone operators have been killed by operator error as well.

While many areas have laws about discharging weapons, this does not apply to self defense situations.

If OP, having been briefed on how drones are often used for violent criminal purposes, has a legitimate fear for her life on her property she has no duty to retreat.

Shortly after I got a message from the moderators:

/r/legaladvice mods posted:

Do not advise illegal action in this sub, even as a hint. This is your only warning.
So I decided to shitpost a little:

me posted:

Thanks, but it's my understanding that what I described is not illegal.

If you'd like to cite some sources to the contrary I'm open to hearing specific feedback why you think what I described was illegal. For transparency's sake I'd appreciate if you can do so in the thread.

Thanks for the help!
Andddd they took the bait:

Let's put this succinctly: No. This isn't a debating society. Your post will not be restored and we will not be justifying ourselves to you.

The slightest hint of illegal advice in the future, and you'll be banned.
I sent back another salvo:

me posted:

>You were suggesting illegal action coupled with what to say to make it sound legal.

Again, please help me understand why you think what I described was in any way illegal? If someone feels in danger from a drone, they can "stand their ground" against it. I provided several sources on why someone may feel threatened by a drone to help highlight this is legitimate fear and not the mere annoyance at having one's privacy violated.

Feel free to provide sources, otherwise I must insist you not libel me by claiming I advocated an illegal action. As I previously stated: /r/legaladvice is a private sub, but you must say that rather than make false claims.

>We're not dumb.

I don't have any sources to support that.

>Cops aren't dumb either.

Court battles have been waged to allow departments to only hire cops below a certain IQ threshold.
And they blocked me lol:

You have been temporarily muted from r/legaladvice. You will not be able to message the moderators of r/legaladvice for 72 hours.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Wow, so you posted illegal advice against the rules, and the mods took the bait by removing your rulebreaking post and probating you

lol you really got em, im impressed

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Is it illegal though? If the homeowner feels threatened on their own property they wouldn’t have a duty to retreat under Stand your ground.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I can't even control my own life, let alone control others from the shadows.

Reddit is a cesspool, but its amusing and worth it if you like vidya games and wanna talk to others about it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ultimately her insurance is refusing to pay for any of it since it was all “cosmetic”.

It kind of is in a way. When I wanted another eye made the VA would only pay for it if it was done without any special things and colored to match my other eye. I wanted one that glowed in the dark so I had to pay for it out of pocket. Those fuckers are not cheap either. The glow in the dark one was supposed to cost me $1500 but because the guy had never heard of anyone asking for that he said he would make it for $750. New eyes cost at least $2,000.

Besides, why do you need a fake eye when you can have someone make you an eye patch for $20? The hard part of course is figuring out HOW to size an eye patch, then how to tie it in a way that is comfortable and doesn't look loving retarded. Physics is not your friend when you want to wear an eye patch.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

limp_cheese posted:

It kind of is in a way. When I wanted another eye made the VA would only pay for it if it was done without any special things and colored to match my other eye. I wanted one that glowed in the dark so I had to pay for it out of pocket. Those fuckers are not cheap either. The glow in the dark one was supposed to cost me $1500 but because the guy had never heard of anyone asking for that he said he would make it for $750. New eyes cost at least $2,000.

Besides, why do you need a fake eye when you can have someone make you an eye patch for $20? The hard part of course is figuring out HOW to size an eye patch, then how to tie it in a way that is comfortable and doesn't look loving retarded. Physics is not your friend when you want to wear an eye patch.

Oh come on, Nightlight; you can't leave us hanging like that... Pics or gtf and all that. :pirate:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Stay safe, Original Puppet Master.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ALFbrot posted:

Wow, so you posted illegal advice against the rules, and the mods took the bait by removing your rulebreaking post and probating you

Heh. You took the bait.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

It actually wasn't illegal. You can make an argument it's illegal to shoot at aircraft, but their's a law regarding model planes that excludes anything under a certain ceiling (25 ft IIRC) from FAA jurisdiction.

But they just aren't actually good lawyers (hence hanging out on /r/legaladvice rather than being busy with casework like a decent biglaw job would keep them) so all they can do is recite things they once glanced at in law school without context or consideration.

Since the FAA rules don't apply, next you would look to state law. And theoretically if the FAA rule *did* apply you could still make a conlaw argument that a rule that strips you of your right to defend yourself violates your right to life.

That's why it's such a good troll - it's a pretty subtle area of case law + hits on an area of law (stand your ground) which is extremely triggering to the capital L liberals, who prefer to let agents of the state handle any conflict.

They can "stand their ground", so they added a rule against "advocating illegal advice", claiming it's to comply with reddit's new rules against promoting violence:rolleyes::fh:

Now to be fair, /r/legaladvice have had issues with people suggesting people provoke people into assaulting them.

The problem is that being provoked is never an excuse for assault or battery, and responding with lethal force in fear of one's life is not made illegal merely by the fact the victim chose not to be intimidated. This logic is patently false - it is the purest expression of one's 1st amendment rights to tell a trespasser who is threatening them they're a dillhole :911:

Now, self defense is an affirmative defense - meaning it would probably have to go to trial, if the DA is feeling brave.

However, they really want to appear impartial so rather than say "we've made an editorial decision to not advise stand your ground as a solution on this sub" they freak out anytime someone mentions self defense.

Hence them getting triggered when I'm like "Oh sure, ok well please point out exactly where I said anything illegal?"

If it was actually illegal they'd easily be able to say why.

Is it illegal though? If the homeowner feels threatened on their own property they wouldn’t have a duty to retreat under Stand your ground.

this guy gets it.

my post even cites several real world examples of drones being used as weapons to prove such a fear is not the product of an unreasonable mind.

Boom. Lawyered!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Oh come on, Nightlight; you can't leave us hanging like that... Pics or gtf and all that. :pirate:

https://imgur.com/a/iN7TJ

That album has pictures of the glowing eye and I also included pictures of the 3d skull they made literally days after I was shot to help the doctors figure out how the gently caress they are putting me back together. The eye doesn't glow as well as it used to since I got it in 2010 I think and the glowing paint has deteriorated a bit. My ex loved that it would glow while we were in bed at night.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The best lawyers actually hang out in r/bestoflegaladvice and make fun of the other subreddit.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The best lawyers actually hang out in r/bestoflegaladvice and make fun of the other subreddit.

the best lawyers never go to law school, get rich after suing some schlub for trying to pull one over on them, then sit around shitposting on SA all day

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

limp_cheese posted:

That album has pictures of the glowing eye and I also included pictures of the 3d skull they made literally days after I was shot to help the doctors figure out how the gently caress they are putting me back together. The eye doesn't glow as well as it used to since I got it in 2010 I think and the glowing paint has deteriorated a bit. My ex loved that it would glow while we were in bed at night.

This is cool and I'm glad you made the most out of something like that. Is it a permanent implant or do you get to swap it out when you're bored of one design?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

Well that's just bad rear end.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reddit is a cesspool, but its amusing and worth it if you like vidya games and wanna talk to others about it.

Same but if you’re into moderately popular YouTube people.

Maybe I’m just not looking at the right subforums but SA seems to loving hate YouTube

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

This is cool and I'm glad you made the most out of something like that. Is it a permanent implant or do you get to swap it out when you're bored of one design?

It takes me a couple of seconds to take it out. Really the only one I can swap it to is a clear one I had made to wear underneath my eye patch. Other than those 2 I just have one that the VA had made that looks exactly like my other eye, but that's loving boring. I would go full Last Action hero and have a bunch of them but like I said, it's really expensive and I don't have that kind of money.

Whenever someone tells me I need to get a specific eye made, usually the Terminator eye, I tell them I'll wear it if they pay to have it made. No one has taken me up on that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

It takes me a couple of seconds to take it out. Really the only one I can swap it to is a clear one I had made to wear underneath my eye patch. Other than those 2 I just have one that the VA had made that looks exactly like my other eye, but that's loving boring. I would go full Last Action hero and have a bunch of them but like I said, it's really expensive and I don't have that kind of money.

Whenever someone tells me I need to get a specific eye made, usually the Terminator eye, I tell them I'll wear it if they pay to have it made. No one has taken me up on that.

Tell your story and start a gofundme. You'll be swimming in eyes by the end of the month.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tell your story and start a gofundme. You'll be swimming in eyes by the end of the month.

That's a good idea. Plus I'm sure the guys that make the eyes would love getting all that cash. I need to research this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Boom. Lawyered!

its not a "stand your ground" issue, its a simple trespass issue but you're close enough to right that its a distinction without a difference. FAA doesn't carr about drones really, yet, so its only a question of whether civil courts in the state in question will award damages.

if someone drove an rv car onto your property, you could blow it the drat hell away. Drones are only a question mark because wenarent 100% sure how high up your property's airspace goes.