Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
ty vickery has retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

ty vickery has retired

Devastated

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

snaeksikn posted:

ty vickery has retired

The world weeps

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
http://carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-11-15/docherty-ruptures-acl

rip Carlton's 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
rip Brendan Bolton

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fuuuuuuck

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Carlton might as well concede that they're gonna get pick 1 now.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The footy gods clearly weren't happy with the retirement of Vickery.

No Gibbs or Docherty means Carlton will be without 2 of their top 4 in the B&F. RIP.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Life is unfair

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Off to the world cup we go!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Wrong thread mate.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah this the soft drink chat thread

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Soft Drink chat starts as soon as the draft finishes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

National or rookie?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
National draft. The rookie draft is like an ad break during the soft drink chat show

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How does NTRabbit get the energy? I tried getting mad about Dom Barry getting drafted, going home, and now attempting to be drafted by another club without us getting squat but honestly :effort:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

On serious soccer chat for one second though how is that Australia is getting through to a World Cup and Italy/Netherlands aren't? Aren't we ranked like 80th in the world? Haven't we mostly only played underdeveloped minnows like Honduras and Iraq? How do we get in but they get booted?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

On serious soccer chat for one second though how is that Australia is getting through to a World Cup and Italy/Netherlands aren't? Aren't we ranked like 80th in the world? Haven't we mostly only played underdeveloped minnows like Honduras and Iraq? How do we get in but they get booted?

The consequence of having regional limits to qualifying in order to ensure it's a world tournament, rather than just contested by Europe and South America, with an occasional special guest appearance from Mexico. The occasional battler or two is the price paid for fostering the game in Africa and Asia, who need the hope to sustain public interest.

Also, the Dutch and Italians have been playing like reheated piss for two years now, the team with the greatest claim to the unfair boot is Chile, who are the reigning South American champs twice over, and blew it just one step worse than we did by giving up a play off spot they had one foot in during the final game.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Its for the same reason that Melbourne missed out on finals.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Its for the same reason that Melbourne missed out on finals.

They’re actually really really bad?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’re actually really really bad?

They were trained purposely wrong, as a joke

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Dutch and Italians missing this world cup is a lot closer to the Hawks missing this finals series - we still remember how good they were in recent times, but they were really loving bad when it counted this campaign

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

hiddenmovement posted:

They both had the hardest qualifying groups in Europe and missed out on the automatic spot to the other powerhouse country in their group.

The Dutch group was especially hard because Sweden is always a dangerous dark horse.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The new CEO of the Hawks on SEN this morning noted that Ty's contract is included in next years salary cap.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

The new CEO of the Hawks on SEN this morning noted that Ty's contract is included in next years salary cap.

Yeah, but importantly he can't play for us

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, but importantly he can't play for us

Apparently he really didn't like playing VFL, ie it finally sunk in he's not very good.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

Im all for screwing around the Hawks, but how can that be held to before the final list lodgement?

If he has decided to retire surely the remainder of the contract is void?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Just in case anyone here is interested in this:

https://twitter.com/championdata/status/930714539515138049

If any of you get the job I'll also pay you to give me access to all the AFL stats they produce.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Im all for screwing around the Hawks, but how can that be held to before the final list lodgement?

If he has decided to retire surely the remainder of the contract is void?

Apparently because he came over as a restricted free agent the rules make it that the initial contract he was offered (2 years) has to be part of the TPP for the Hawks over all years of the contract.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah it’s the same reason Sydney is on the hook for franklins contract even if he retires way early, cap space wise. Makes sense and is fair.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

hiddenmovement posted:

Italy and Netherlands have old teams and increasingly creaky domestic leagues, has a bit to do with it. (The Hawks analogy is apt too.) Holland (it's OK to call the football team Holland) are usually my second team so I am a little sad for that (especially since they missed at the last Euros as well), but as for Italy, meh.

Make no doubt, the Socceroos are gonna struggle but probably no worse than we did last time around.

Having that dumb 48 team format with 16 3-team groups then a round of 32 is going to be bad (does that start in '22 or '26?)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
yawn.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

There's this lemonade put out by Solo which is brewed lemon with ginger in it. I actually really liked it and it ended up on sale at my local Coles fairly often

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This thread has p. much always been the thread for 'Australian sporting news that doesn't have its own thread' and whining about it when the Aus national team makes it to the World Cup and people decide to post about that seems dumb imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

Italy and Netherlands have old teams and increasingly creaky domestic leagues, has a bit to do with it. (The Hawks analogy is apt too.) Holland (it's OK to call the football team Holland) are usually my second team so I am a little sad for that (especially since they missed at the last Euros as well), but as for Italy, meh.

Make no doubt, the Socceroos are gonna struggle but probably no worse than we did last time around.

Having that dumb 48 team format with 16 3-team groups then a round of 32 is going to be bad (does that start in '22 or '26?)

'26, because the additional teams changes the logistics and stadia requirements in the bidding process (more bribes), so they moved the expansion to the first one they haven't picked a host for yet.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

seems dumb imo

Like soccer?

:getin:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Considering Italy did what they usually do in the Euro, them getting knocked out is a huge surprise.
The Dutch usually find new and inspiring ways to underachieve, so it's heartening to see them reach for new heights of underachievement.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I am rapidly approaching the horror of my mid 30s so soft drinks and fruit juice are out for me. Solo iirc is particularly sugary because it was always the least worst of commonly avail soft drinks.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

Apparently because he came over as a restricted free agent the rules make it that the initial contract he was offered (2 years) has to be part of the TPP for the Hawks over all years of the contract.

realbez posted:

Yeah it’s the same reason Sydney is on the hook for franklins contract even if he retires way early, cap space wise. Makes sense and is fair.

This is cool and good. Doesnt buddy still have like 6 years on his contract left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gary Ablett is being investigated by VicPol for sexual assault

• Locked thread