Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only faces that were off were those no name thug dudes.

Also we finally got the way of killing for all contestants.

Rat "Kills All"
Ox "Kills Systemically"
Monkey "Kills Peacefully"
Boar "Kills Bountifully"
Rabbit "Kills Psychotically"
Sheep "Kills Deceptively"
Tiger "Kills in a Drunken Rage"
Horse "Kills Silently"
Dog "Kills by Biting "
Chicken "Kills by Pecking"
Snake "Kills for Money"
Dragon "Kills for Money"

Nah, it was a bunch of folks. Particularly the reptile twins, and particularly in the scenes where they were chatting in the elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Man, that was... incredibly by-the-numbers for Nisio, to be quite honest. Little Brother gets chumped due to his own power distracting him. And monkey lady. :cry:

all the flashback stuff was made up for the anime as usual. the snake and dragon bio pages at least establish their dynamic in a way that was built up in the stuff about them being thieves, but everything with rabbit killing snake was cooked up without a single word of basis in the novel

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Considering their contemporaries, Snake and Dragon seem pretty low-rent, considering their entire backstory is "committed a bunch of smash and grabs."

^^^^^^^E: Wait, what? So Snake is still alive in the books?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The snake death was silly to begin with because there was really no reason for him to turn his head to talk to dragon anyway. several times in that scene, he speaks to him without turning his head

e: can that dude that used to post the character profiles from the books continue to do that? Or do they contain spoilers?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordja posted:

Considering their contemporaries, Snake and Dragon seem pretty low-rent, considering their entire backstory is "committed a bunch of smash and grabs."

^^^^^^^E: Wait, what? So Snake is still alive in the books?

no, the book just never details how rabbit killed him

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk why they made the their backstory like this when the pictures in the ed imply a much different and way more interesting one

also there were some really bad shots with tiger and monkey

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the brothers are not interesting characters despite how long they've lasted, and the anime definitely padded so they could better pace the rest of the show.

between this and the three-week stretch where they held off on deaths, it feels like this show would be stronger on a binge.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
Snake's body parts are the strongest conbi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From checking it also does not appear that Horse ever had anything to do with the military in the original novel. Apparently he was just a weak teen who felt vulnerable and so bulked up using lots of exercise and steroids.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a rather ugly and messy episode. The animation was kinda bad, the whole backstory was a nonsensical mess, and nothing else interesting happened... except for the confirmation.

RIP Monkey, your peace is but a dream now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MonsterEnvy posted:

From checking it also does not appear that Horse ever had anything to do with the military in the original novel. Apparently he was just a weak teen who felt vulnerable and so bulked up using lots of exercise and steroids.

I think he was a teen from some kind of elite military assassin house or some poo poo who felt vulnerable and so bulked up using lots of very advanced exercise and steroids.

I think everybody is from some kind of elite family of insane military assassin child soldier people the details of which are probably less confusing if not thought about.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

all the flashback stuff was made up for the anime as usual. the snake and dragon bio pages at least establish their dynamic in a way that was built up in the stuff about them being thieves, but everything with rabbit killing snake was cooked up without a single word of basis in the novel
Whoa, all of it? So all the flashbacks are made up of stuff that's barely mentioned in passing / vaguely implied in the book?

Well, I guess you have to make up due to the fact that it's just a standalone book.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Whoa, all of it? So all the flashbacks are made up of stuff that's barely mentioned in passing / vaguely implied in the book?

Well, I guess you have to make up due to the fact that it's just a standalone book.

yeah, each fighter has a bio page separate from the actual content of their chapter and the anime has been reworking that/expanding it into the backstories in each episode. the content of the book is entirely focused on the juni taisen except for the short derail in horse's chapter to explain the rules/side betting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's... weird, but kinda cool!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Man, I was so sure Horse would burst out of the vault at the very last second.

The Serpentine Bros suck, and so did their backstory. They used to be... petty thieves? Except they kind of sucked at it? And they had some vaguely-defined rivalry going on? And then they were in a warehouse, doing... things for... reasons?

Looks like next week is Part 2 of the Snake & Dragon story, so maybe we'll get some answers. Or, better yet, maybe Dragon will be next to die.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Don't forget [the hamfisted cult organizations that have the ongoing brilliant plan of making a team of two in a free-for-all last man standing with no further logistical strategy and somehow the participants were unaware of this] in the list of :wtc: plot expositions

Cancel this show, make a spinoff of Monkey's Diplomatic Ventures.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

Don't forget [the hamfisted cult organizations that have the ongoing brilliant plan of making a team of two in a free-for-all last man standing with no further logistical strategy and somehow the participants were unaware of this] in the list of :wtc: plot expositions

Well, Dogsicle did mention that the flashbacks are anime original. So maybe the dude handling the scripts is to blame?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One thing that we may get to witness, now that Monkey is dead, is just how mad her abilities are since she's no longer inhibited by morals and values. Which is seriously the only thing that kept her from being the most likely survivor.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

With how they talked about it later I assumed that if they knew upfront they might have changed their minds. And that the cult put both of them in so that they would use the results to say which of the two families was stronger.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mindblast posted:

One thing that we may get to witness, now that Monkey is dead, is just how mad her abilities are since she's no longer inhibited by morals and values. Which is seriously the only thing that kept her from being the most likely survivor.

Well we saw her turn a chunk of building into dust. Which is more then she has done with her cool alchemy powers then before in the fight.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Srice posted:

With how they talked about it later I assumed that if they knew upfront they might have changed their minds. And that the cult put both of them in so that they would use the results to say which of the two families was stronger.

The fact that they were given a chance to "might have changed their minds" is a strategic flaw from the get-go.

Lets consider these two lines, one where the snake and dragon orgs are in fact competing to see who is stronger, and one where they legit want to work together.

In scenario 1, there is just no reason for them to work together. Do they think in magic happy land that they will work together until the end when it's just the two of them remaining and battle it out in a fair fight? No of course not that's absurd, and we've already had several characters think about the team-making dynamics in this FFA and how teams effectively have to be fleeting and end early to prevent being backstabbed or to be the backstabber. Obviously with the cult they could have groomed the behavior of the twins to do this plan, but I am of course making up this scenario to try and give the benefit of the doubt, and the show did not do this, so we are back to discussing how poor the episode itself was.

In scenario 2, again there are too many holes to fill. Why is there no established plan for the desired case of the two of them being the last ones left? Why didn't they discuss how the wish would be granted at the end, or discuss some terms of splitting the reward? Why didn't the cult just brainwash them so that they understood who would be the support and who would be the carry? There were so many simple ways to convey this, yet the show did none of this and we are back to discussing why the episode was poorly planned/executed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Araki posted:

Man, I was so sure Horse would burst out of the vault at the very last second.

The Serpentine Bros suck, and so did their backstory. They used to be... petty thieves? Except they kind of sucked at it? And they had some vaguely-defined rivalry going on? And then they were in a warehouse, doing... things for... reasons?

Looks like next week is Part 2 of the Snake & Dragon story, so maybe we'll get some answers. Or, better yet, maybe Dragon will be next to die.

Snake's body gets fully destroyed, probably by fire, then Dragon bites it, with Rabbit next after that. I have faith in the order of things. :colbert:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Did tiger take sheep's mega-bomb? She looked at it after killing him but I don't remember seeing her taking or carrying it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its perfectly possible previous competitions allowed for multiple winners and they just never abandoned their teamwork after the rules changed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i doubt that previous competitions allowed for multiple winners, but they definitely allowed for multiple survivors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i doubt that previous competitions allowed for multiple winners, but they definitely allowed for multiple survivors.

Yeah even here there could be multiple.

Sharyu apparently figured out a way for multiple survivors. Sheep never ate his gem so he could have for sure survived as well if he gave the gem away.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's probably someone there who could safely remove the gems surgically if you trusted them enough to let them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

There's probably someone there who could safely remove the gems surgically if you trusted them enough to let them.

Probably Monkey, actually, if her transmutation skills are up to it - that was probably her ‘everyone lives’ plan, actually.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose if nobody gets around to it i'll get to posting the character bios tomorrow but in the meantime the chat of the Snake/Dragon families made me curious to go back and see what zodiac families are established in the book

Boar - born into the Ino family
Dog - no family affiliation
Chicken - adopted into the Niwa family
Monkey - raised by the monkey sages
Sheep - married into the Tsujie family, clients he had as an arms dealer
Horse - born into the Soma family
Snake/Dragon - the current in a long line of Tatsumi Brothers

so treating Snake and Dragon as some sort of two-family group is a bit of liberty on the anime's part. if they were branches on the same tree i could see a cooperative Taisen team being beneficial in either obtaining the wish or having greater odds in the shadow betting. without knowing the results of past Taisens it's hard to judge if this is viable, but the current Tatsumis also seem far too individualistic and/or tied to each other that just follow along with stuffy old clan rules.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I got lazy about posting bios yeah.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a cute bit related to snake's book bio: in the warehouse flashback he's stealing a caged reptile

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dogsicle posted:

a cute bit related to snake's book bio: in the warehouse flashback he's stealing a caged reptile

yeah but why?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the anime ever said that Snake and Dragon were different families. I actually assumed they were one family since they only used one name. They just had some kind of dualistic ritual thing going on, where half were wearing dragon emblems and the other half snakes. The impression I got was that they didn't care which one of them won, since they'd get the same prestige anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Condiv posted:

yeah but why?

His bio says why. He is a pet reptile enthusiast. Likely he stole the lizard cause he wanted it as a new pet.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MonsterEnvy posted:

His bio says why. He is a pet reptile enthusiast. Likely he stole the lizard cause he wanted it as a new pet.

well, it kinda sucks i have to read the bio to figure poo poo out on the show

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

well, it kinda sucks i have to read the bio to figure poo poo out on the show

that entire flashback sets the brothers up as petty thieves who have a competition to steal the most expensive thing, it being some exotic reptile is just a nod to the book rather than anything essential.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

Supernaturally effective munitions, probably. He did seem very proud of the Old-Timer.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/artbooksNat/status/930955276597039105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

dogsicle posted:

that entire flashback sets the brothers up as petty thieves who have a competition to steal the most expensive thing, it being some exotic reptile is just a nod to the book rather than anything essential.

how was the reptile expensive, like at all? sure maybe it had worth to the little brother (which was only hinted at in the book, which didn't include this scene :psyduck:), but nothing in the show indicated that the lizard was actually valuable in any way

• Locked thread