Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MisterBibs posted:

They don't even bring up the Klingon Jesus thing in DS9, do they?

Several times. He is essentially reduced to powerless figurehead for Gowron. Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your own

Klingon

Jesus

Songs of Ak’voh and Devotion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

But who is Bajoran Peter? Eddington?

Kira, I would think.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

skasion posted:

Several times. He is essentially reduced to powerless figurehead for Gowron. Poor guy.

If Jesus was cloned and brought back today, he would also become a powerless figurehead IMHO.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mike the TV posted:

If Jesus was cloned and brought back today, he would also become a powerless figurehead IMHO.

He’d probably never get within a thousand miles of political power and be blown up by a predator drone because associating with sinners terrorists doesn’t pay in today’s Middle East.

It’s gotta suck even worse for Kaahless though, that dude was raised to believe that he was supposed to be the king pimp conqueror who would lead the empire to glory and instead he gets to sit there looking official while everyone else schemes over his head. Even in that episode where they find the real Kahless’ sword, nobody wants to give it to him because everyone knows he ain’t poo poo

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

He’d probably never get within a thousand miles of political power and be blown up by a predator drone because associating with sinners terrorists doesn’t pay in today’s Middle East.

Same as the first time, then.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is House of Quark considered a Bad Ferengi Episode, or a Good Ferengi Episode? Because I am digging the poo poo out of the interactions between Ferengi and Klingon cultures.

e: :lol: a bunch of confused-as-poo poo Klingons in the Great Hall trying trying to read Quark's spreadsheets, this is gold.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 15, 2017

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MisterBibs posted:

Is House of Quark considered a Bad Ferengi Episode, or a Good Ferengi Episode? Because I am digging the poo poo out of the interactions between Ferengi and Klingon cultures.

Second best, behind The One With Iggy Pop.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The Cage is still pretty loving cool. Way ahead of it's time for 1966. Susan Oliver as an Orion slave girl. Holy poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo, rear end in a top hat Klingon got wrist-and-twirled. Doubtful he'll get a fancy knife-blade-grabbing ceremony any time soon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Star Trek Continues ended. Cute ending. I love that they worked in a dig at the TMP uniforms.

I know, right? I never thought I'd ever give a poo poo about a fan series, but that was some good poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MisterBibs posted:

e: :lol: a bunch of confused-as-poo poo Klingons in the Great Hall trying trying to read Quark's spreadsheets, this is gold.
Gowron is great in this episode

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Badda-Bing Badda-Bing

For an absolutely pointless breather episode whose only narrative function is to be that breather, this one's a lot of fun. The comic chemistry of the DS9 cast is on full display here and why, despite my frequent complaints about certain aspects of many characters, I think they're rock solid as a group and easily my favorite overall cast of any Star Trek series.

It's good, silly fun that knows it's silly, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't care what anybody thinks but Badda Bing is worth it for the music alone. You get a club remix of the main theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-QBe9pPdkM and then that one, you know what one I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPrxYRzuAg

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I watched the final episode of Continues earlier tonight. It was great and I enjoyed the little nods to Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I wish they had developed Continues into an ongoing series (dunno if this would have been possible or feasible) instead of doing Discovery; I really liked this series.

My one minor nitpick is that I've always had mixed feelings about the original Enterprise having the ability to detach the saucer section. My personal head canon is that this was a new feature in Galaxy-class starships - especially since this is the only time in the TOS timeframe that something like this was ever done (at least as far as we know). But this isn't a big deal. The episode was very well done and was finally a proper send-off for TOS (almost fifty years after the fact).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MisterBibs posted:

They don't even bring up the Klingon Jesus thing in DS9, do they?

At least once.

Edit: missed that there was still another page. I am without honor

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 15, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I made gagh. You want some gagh? Have some gagh. You look dishonored, you should eat.

One day, I'll pass to Sto'vo'kor, and then you'll want some gagh.

I'm quoting this because it deserves to be on two pages.

Also aren't the Rozhenkos ethnically Jewish Russians? Or did they not make that explicit anywhere?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

The Cage is still pretty loving cool. Way ahead of it's time for 1966. Susan Oliver as an Orion slave girl. Holy poo poo.

:respek:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Pike was the original rear end in a top hat captain, thinking of loving off to deal in slave women (?!) because he was tired of ordering people to their deaths and choking alien motherfuckers out while asking "is your blood red like ours? I wanna find out!"

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Tighclops posted:

Pike was the original rear end in a top hat captain, thinking of loving off to deal in slave women (?!) because he was tired of ordering people to their deaths and choking alien motherfuckers out while asking "is your blood red like ours? I wanna find out!"

The edgiest a non-noir 1960s hero could get.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I watched the final episode of Continues earlier tonight. It was great and I enjoyed the little nods to Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I wish they had developed Continues into an ongoing series (dunno if this would have been possible or feasible) instead of doing Discovery; I really liked this series.

My one minor nitpick is that I've always had mixed feelings about the original Enterprise having the ability to detach the saucer section. My personal head canon is that this was a new feature in Galaxy-class starships - especially since this is the only time in the TOS timeframe that something like this was ever done (at least as far as we know). But this isn't a big deal. The episode was very well done and was finally a proper send-off for TOS (almost fifty years after the fact).
Regarding the matter you spoilered:

I think it was discussed and considered repeatedly during the original series, but they didn't want to cut up the model. It DID happen in the comics, and of course to the film's Enterprise-without-letters. The TNG tech guide also says they built computer models about a saucer landing based on the three times it DID happen...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

8one6 posted:

Also aren't the Rozhenkos ethnically Jewish Russians? Or did they not make that explicit anywhere?

I'm not sure, but the guy who played Mr. Rozhenko also played Ivanova's rabbi on Babylon 5, so it's implied a bit :v:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

I thought they were Belarusians, but I don't believe their faith was ever explicitly named.

Nessus posted:

Regarding the matter you spoilered:

I think it was discussed and considered repeatedly during the original series, but they didn't want to cut up the model. It DID happen in the comics, and of course to the film's Enterprise-without-letters. The TNG tech guide also says they built computer models about a saucer landing based on the three times it DID happen...
I have seen some sketches for TMP that also depict the refitted Enterprise undergoing a saucer separation after a Klingon attack. However, I think the idea was that the Galaxy class was unique in that it could undergo saucer separation and the two sections could act as autonomous vessels and reconnect. For earlier ships like the Constitution, saucer separation was a one-time deal, and the only way you could reconnect the two sections would be to tow them to a shipyard and manually weld them back together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

I still don't care for Section 31, but while this episode directly follows from In the Pale Moonlight and Inquisition, I like it more than either of them. Maybe because it's more cerebral than those episodes, more reserved rather than going for shock value or emotional sucker punches.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Marshal Radisic posted:

I thought they were Belarusians, but I don't believe their faith was ever explicitly named.

They were from Minsk, so you’re right. If I recall there was discussion among the writers when they filmed TNG’s “Family” about making them Jewish but they ultimately didn’t do it. I’ve always thought it was kind of sad that despite TOS having two Jewish lead actors there has never been a Jewish character in the entire franchise. Worf as a Klingon Jew would have been quite cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barlow posted:

They were from Minsk, so you’re right. If I recall there was discussion among the writers when they filmed TNG’s “Family” about making them Jewish but they ultimately didn’t do it. I’ve always thought it was kind of sad that despite TOS having two Jewish lead actors there has never been a Jewish character in the entire franchise. Worf as a Klingon Jew would have been quite cool.

"You are uncircumcised, gentile, you are WITHOUT honor!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
QaplOY!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This was always a part of the Jeffries design, since he wanted to communicate that the engine assembly was powerful and dangerous and kept as far from the living spaces as possible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Unfeasible due to a number of legal factors (acquiring fan material and then officially producing it is messy), but, oh, Jesus, that would have been beyond delicious, because Alec Peters' original goal was to have CBS buy Axanar from him so he'd be an official Trek producer.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Worfs parents are absolutely Jews in my head canon regardless of what the show says or doesn't say

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Penumbra

gently caress off, Worf. You tend to be a lovely character and Sisko should have remembered that "No sending Worf and Dax on a mission together" rule and carried it over to Ezri. Calling Jadzia a whore in Klingon does not help your case.

DS9 may have handled Worf much better than TNG did, but I remain convinced that bringing him to DS9 was ultimately to the show's detriment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"I cannot defeat him, I can only kill him" redeems 100% of Worf's previous crapitude

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks for the background on saucer separation. I didn't realize it was in Jeffries' original plans. I liked those scenes; they were well done, and they added continuity between TOS and TNG, since Picard ordered a saucer separation in Encounter At Farpoint.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are you spoiling 50 year old production notes?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey, someone might be looking forward to Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. :mad:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm spoiling details related to Continues' final episode, for the benefit of people who might want to watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

but I remain convinced that bringing him to DS9 was ultimately to the show's detriment.

Bringing him probably kept the show from getting canceled, so...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Cythereal it's opines like that why I don't read your write ups.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Gene Coon>Gene Roddenberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Bringing him probably kept the show from getting canceled, so...

Yeah, according to The 50 Year Mission, bringing Worf in was an attempt to get the TNG audience that peaced out.