Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Maxing shotgun and upgrading combat focus and eventually psychoshock will do you right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also upgrading the pistol damage. The pistol does not feel powerful but can murder the poo poo out of things because of the high rate of fire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also upgrading the pistol damage. The pistol does not feel powerful but can murder the poo poo out of things because of the high rate of fire.

Getting the golden gun and working on the range of the pistol as well as the ambush damage neuromod turns the pistol into a pretty good likeness of a sniper rifle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I think I might have broken some event triggers on my human-upgrades-only, everyone-dies-except-Dahl run.

I just left the cargo bays for life support, and a few minutes later got a message from January talking about how she's proud I helped the survivors in the cargo bay and gave them hope, even if it's only for a little while. The problem is, it didn't go down like that -- I set up the turrets to get the code to the door, then shut off all the turrets, opened the door, and walked away as phantoms slaughtered everyone. I deliberately sabotaged their defences to ensure that they would all die.

Now I'm wondering if this means the endgame will come to the wrong conclusions about this as well.

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey gang I just started playing this in the last few days and its very good so far but I'm pretty bad at it! Some questions:

-I just made it to the Arboretum and when I tried to unfuck the elevator there was a technopath in a small space that murdered me handily. Was that a warning sign saying 'come back later' or was I missing an obvious trick?

EMP grenades and/or the stungun will temporarily stun the Technopath and completely gently caress up the turrets/operators it's controlling. The stungun, in particular, is ridiculously good once upgraded.

There are also a bunch of psi abilities that are good against technopaths -- Machine Mind will let you steal its minions, and Electrostatic Burst is an at-will EMP grenade that also does loads of damage -- but if you just reached the Arboretum you probably don't have those yet.

quote:

-For combat prowess, should I max the wrench or keep buffing the shotgun like I've been doing?

Shotgun is great for up close and personal work, but damage drops off fast with range. It synergizes well with the stungun, since this lets you stun the enemy, run right up to its face, and open fire; and since it's stunned it'll take bonus damage. This combo will one-shot a Weaver with an upgraded shotgun.

Wrench isn't worth it past the early game unless you're feeling nostalgic; even on Impossible ammo is plentiful enough not to worry about.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

to get that achievement/ending, you need to actively kill npcs. NOT let them be killed by environmental hazards/typhon.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

double nine posted:

to get that achievement/ending, you need to actively kill npcs. NOT let them be killed by environmental hazards/typhon.

You don't need to kill everyone to trigger the event but you do for that particular achievement.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Jibo posted:

You don't need to kill everyone to trigger the event but you do for that particular achievement.

Does that mean I can't just blow up the station with everyone on it then?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Whew! Thanks for the advice guys, I just beat this today although for whatever reason I still found technopaths and telepaths to be the hardest, damage-spongiest enemies in the game, even after I reached a point where I was clowning on nightmares with ease. This may have been because I didn't use any typhon powers; not intentionally at first, but I put so many points into repair, hacking and becoming a silent shotgun assassin that by the time I was done the game was 3/4ths over so I thought eh, might as well push ahead for a purely good-guy human playthrough (heh). The idea of being a psychic flying banana sounds amazing though, and I'll definitely go that route next time. It'll probably be awhile because the combat really is a chore after a while that you just deal with so you can get on with exploring and hoarding junk. I also never found a Q-beam, I was that guy! Whoops!

Despite reviews calling this a buggy, laggy mess I only had one seemingly egregious bug in the second half; in the trauma center, I thought Luther Glass was dead when I looted it early on and left him there. Later he called me in a panic asking for help from swarms of typhon, but this was just after Dahl had arrived, so there were no typhon but instead 6-7 military operators all hanging out near his area. I tried to fight them but the machine would just spawn more, and it was so ridiculous I just left to try and shut down Kaspar instead (and then got sidetracked into saving the cargo bay team, etc etc) and the mission failed and I assumed they'd gotten to him. When I get back instead of a corpse there is now an extra military operator named Luther Glass. I killed it and there was nothing otherwise special about it, but I can only assume he was supposed to be a phantom or something. Anyone else experience this? Also, if I'd dragged his body up to my office would I have circumvented that quest altogether?

Regarding the ending: I get that it's a simulation, but does it tell you what the deal is regarding the original Morgan? I assume she died during the real typhon outbreak that went down similarly and that, instead of destroying the station, she opted for Alex's solution which caused the mess on earth. Am i close or was there ever a real Morgan? And were those other operators supposed to be 'real' people too, or at least loaded with the memories of them? Since all the AIs in the game are based on a pre-existing person's personality/memories it would make sense but honestly it was kinda unclear.

Too bad this game isn't getting any DLC, I would love to see where they'd go from where they leave it.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought Luther Glass was dead when I looted it early on and left him there. Later he called me in a panic asking for help from swarms of typhon, but this was just after Dahl had arrived, so there were no typhon but instead 6-7 military operators all hanging out near his area. I tried to fight them but the machine would just spawn more, and it was so ridiculous I just left to try and shut down Kaspar instead (and then got sidetracked into saving the cargo bay team, etc etc) and the mission failed and I assumed they'd gotten to him. When I get back instead of a corpse there is now an extra military operator named Luther Glass. I killed it and there was nothing otherwise special about it, but I can only assume he was supposed to be a phantom or something. Anyone else experience this? Also, if I'd dragged his body up to my office would I have circumvented that quest altogether?

Check the finished quest in your quest log :ssh:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Too bad this game isn't getting any DLC, I would love to see where they'd go from where they leave it.

Word was that DLC was planned, but nobody has heard much. It's from Arkane so it might turn out like Dishonored/2 where the DLC just comes out a long time after release, or it might be that the game didn't sell well enough and Zenimax pushed the abort button.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr. Vile posted:

Check the finished quest in your quest log :ssh:

Wow I'm dumb! That's kind of great, though the Wahl section is probably the low point of the game just because of how until fighting operators is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Regarding the ending: I get that it's a simulation, but does it tell you what the deal is regarding the original Morgan? I assume she died during the real typhon outbreak that went down similarly and that, instead of destroying the station, she opted for Alex's solution which caused the mess on earth. Am i close or was there ever a real Morgan? And were those other operators supposed to be 'real' people too, or at least loaded with the memories of them? Since all the AIs in the game are based on a pre-existing person's personality/memories it would make sense but honestly it was kinda unclear.

There was a real Morgan going through a real outbreak; the simulation is based on the real Morgan's memories. It's unclear what happened to the original Morgan, good or bad

It's unclear which option the real Morgan went with; even if the station was blown up, there's still that shuttle full of people who launched mid-outbreak, which could be full of mimics, and any number of other scenarios where the typhon wind up on Earth

It's unclear whether the operators at the end are just based on real people or if there are real people remotely controlling them, with Alex being the only one crazy enough to stand in the same room as a typhon

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Whew! Thanks for the advice guys, I just beat this today although for whatever reason I still found technopaths and telepaths to be the hardest, damage-spongiest enemies in the game, even after I reached a point where I was clowning on nightmares with ease.

Wolfsheim posted:

Wow I'm dumb! That's kind of great, though the Wahl section is probably the low point of the game just because of how until fighting operators is.

Stungun. Stungun stungun stungun. Upgrade it and it'll one- or two-shot operators (while also disabling them if the first shot doesn't kill them), stun telepaths for ages, and stun and damage technopaths (in addition to completely loving up their pet turrets and operators). And once stunned they take extra damage. :v:

I ignored the stungun on my first playthrough because it's so awful when you first get it, and once I had typhon powers, why bother? But upgrade it (focus on charge speed and stun duration first, then range and ammo efficiency) and it becomes a total beast.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No DLC for this game is a loving crime.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just bought this and it is a Good Game. i wish it had DLC.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

With Colantonio out of Arkane, I think we'll be lucky to get any more games like Dishonored or Prey from them at all, let alone DLC.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I played the game in a very boring way the first time through - all human abilities and just destroyed everything with shotgun + combat focus. Need to try it again and be more creative. I never even used a recycler grenade!

Are there any fun, gimmicky LPs that people have found?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

With Colantonio out of Arkane, I think we'll be lucky to get any more games like Dishonored or Prey from them at all, let alone DLC.

That's... worrying.

Where've they gone?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Aww, do we have confirmation that there's going to be no dlc?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's... worrying.

Where've they gone?

A few weeks after we learned that Prey had not sold well, he announced that he was leaving to "spend more time with his family." Which is often but not always corporate speak for being forced out of a position.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Could I get a hint as to how to read the abbreviations on the treasure maps? I only found one on complete accident right after grabbing the piece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Could I get a hint as to how to read the abbreviations on the treasure maps? I only found one on complete accident right after grabbing the piece.

They each line up to some level on the ingame map. Usually there's a label that mentions the sublevel or something..

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I may be wrong but I don't think those refer to anything besides the floor of the area they'll be found in. You'll still need to check for the floor pattern yourself.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

A few weeks after we learned that Prey had not sold well, he announced that he was leaving to "spend more time with his family." Which is often but not always corporate speak for being forced out of a position.

this is filling me with trepidation. all the dishonoured poo poo and prey have been really loving good, and i don't want them to stop.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

most of them have symbols on them that match the sign next to the door leading to that area

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
like everyone else said, it's just vague descriptions, I found a couple randomly, then saw a number on the 2nd floor from my location on the first floor, but I used a guide for the rest.
so, yeah, I have nothing to contribute. hope you enjoyed~~~

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The reward for doing all that nonsense is pathetic anyway, so don't worry if you decide to skip it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vakal posted:

The reward for doing all that nonsense is pathetic anyway, so don't worry if you decide to skip it.

The reward is fantastic, especially if you do it as early as possible. Just don't cheat for the code.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 19, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

early as possible is still pretty late

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Neurosis posted:

this is filling me with trepidation. all the dishonoured poo poo and prey have been really loving good, and i don't want them to stop.

Same.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not sure who would step up and make games like Prey and Dishonored anymore if Arkane were shut down or forced to change direction. Eidos has been all but killed off by Squeenix, we'll be lucky if it's only another decade before the next Deus Ex comes out. I'll wind up playing the System Shock remake and SS3, but honestly one is a remake and the other... Warren Spector hasn't made anything good for over a decade, so I'm not convinced. Arkane has the best level designers in the industry and not many genres let them show off their skill as well as ImmSimms; it'd be a shame to lose this.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The sad part is that this game would probably have sold three times as many copies or more if they could have only gotten the rights to call it "System Shock 3".

I know that was probably never an option, but anything else they could have called it would have been better than "Prey".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's going on with that new system shock game? Have we got any gameplay video for it yet?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The reward is fantastic, especially if you do it as early as possible. Just don't cheat for the code.

"As early as possible" is at the very end of the game, though, since you can't get the last map until Deep Storage and you can't get back to Crew Quarters until after you reset the power. :confused:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's going on with that new system shock game? Have we got any gameplay video for it yet?

I've been deliberately avoiding information, since both SSR and SS3 are going to be in development for a while longer yet and I'll just drive myself insane otherwise, but IIRC a new dev video for SSR was released recently. Not sure about SS3.

Vakal posted:

The sad part is that this game would probably have sold three times as many copies or more if they could have only gotten the rights to call it "System Shock 3".

I know that was probably never an option, but anything else they could have called it would have been better than "Prey".

Yeah. :(

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Prey is one of the few games that has come out in the past few years I have enjoyed, its hilarious that it performed terribly as a product despite being such a stellar game.
I hope to see him bounce around some more studios now that he's left Arcane before landing a new spot making games elsewhere where he isn't treated like capital.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i really don't think that calling it 'system shock 3' would have made it sell as well as you're expecting because the average person who played ss is old and the average ss2 player is still probably not young.

that being said, why the gently caress would you call it 'prey' of all things? who even played the original prey or liked it?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They should have called it Psychoshock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that being said, why the gently caress would you call it 'prey' of all things? who even played the original prey or liked it?

Me on both counts. Was initially confused what it had to do with the other prey.

It's a difficult sit sometimes as it's a grim loving game but it's a novel shooter.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HELLBITCH posted:

Prey is one of the few games that has come out in the past few years I have enjoyed, its hilarious that it performed terribly as a product despite being such a stellar game.

This is pretty much every single game Looking Glass ever released, so Arkane is following in LGS's footsteps in more ways than one. :negative:

turn off the TV posted:

They should have called it Psychoshock.

For me at least, Bioshock leaned so heavily on "look, it has Shock in the name" and was such a disappointment in the end that I think this would have actually have turned me off. As it is I picked it up not really expecting anything beyond "it's Arkane so it'll probably be alright" and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that they'd gotten bored of !Thief and turned their hand to !System Shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I'm playing this game again over thanksgiving break and I was thinking of finally completing a no needles run and just avoiding typhon as much as possible. I can't remember but is there a thing that affects the ending if you minimize typhon kills? If so what is it?

Also, do typhon dying from the environment, like fire or toxic gas count as me killing them or affect that low typhon death count?