Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ragingsheep posted:

Maybe when we stop keeping refugees in concentration camps.

The british had a rape camp for immigrants and the home secretary refused to condemn it because it would adversely affect the market performance of the company that ran it.

She's prime minister now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hakimashou posted:

Nah you guys are doing better and better and Britain is sinking further and further into the abyss of a new dark age.

Are you aware this was a non-binding, $120 million survey in which ~40% of Australians voted to not give gay people rights in order to appease a small group of shitheads currently in government?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dude McAwesome posted:

Dear friend, please stop talking to Hakimashou

He's a terrible person who likes our terrible treatment of refugees.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

Are you aware this was a non-binding, $120 million survey in which ~40% of Australians voted to not give gay people rights in order to appease a small group of shitheads currently in government?

Actually there's some good news there

It came in $20M under budget and so only cost about $100M.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/johanna_nic/status/930583534539915265

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

hakimashou posted:

The british had a rape camp for immigrants and the home secretary refused to condemn it because it would adversely affect the market performance of the company that ran it.

She's prime minister now!

Well I guess the lovely colonial apple doesn’t fall far from the lovely imperial tree.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

FFS stop saying this poo poo

39% of responders which is maybe 20% of the population when you include people who didn't vote, voted informally or were below voting age (this impacts people not old enough to vote, after all)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

VodeAndreas posted:

What's your opinion on imprisoning asylum seekers in offshore facilities?

Very bad! Its a disgrace.

Imagine if britain hadn't voted for brexit and if your lovely politicians hadn't gotten thrown out of office and then your country had voted no on same sex marriage.

It didnt happen that way it happened the other way, so Australia has gone UP in the rankings and Britain has gone DOWN!

Australia is far from perfect but you're not the worst anymore, the British are! Rejoice!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/mckinnon_a/status/930644971979284480

:thunk:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

That is an outright lie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ellinghausen/status/930670652918558725

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Paterson is not moving forward with his bill.

The far right is going to be pissed off.

Jesus this lot have gone past the point of incompentacy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Official RnM is the same as MLP

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zenithe posted:

In the grand scheme of things wasn't it a small price to pay to prove something good about the Australian people?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hakimashou posted:

That is an outright lie.

You advocate for genocide, you fascist gently caress.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You advocate for genocide, you fascist gently caress.

What's this about?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
"Better than Britain" isnt like winning the nobel prize or anything, but you guys have every right to be proud of yourselves, you've done a very good thing with your non-binding postal consultative polling vote or whatever. Imagine how much it would have sucked if it went the other way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

tithin posted:

What's this about?

He thinks as long as you win a war, genocide is your right and the US should have nuked Russia immediately after WWII.

e:Also basically a rule of UKMT that you tell him to gently caress off and call him a fascist any time he shows up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Welcome to our thread hakimashou, given Mr Whiskers' outburst, you have the floor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

The far right is going to be pissed off.
They're keeping schtum today because they know being obstructionist dickheads would backfire on them.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Zenithe posted:

38% of respondents. about 25% of the country didn't vote at all and as a gay australian dude I'm cool with people being apathetic.

You know all the hardcore bigots definitely wouldn't have missed voting no so that probably shrinks the percentage of genuine homophobes down to about <15-20% which is better that I expected.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JBP posted:

Welcome to our thread hakimashou, given Mr Whiskers' outburst, you have the floor.

TY and G'day. Longtime reader, sometimes poster.

I move:

Australia, better than Britain now, better than Britain for the foreseeable future. It's nice to see a news headline and it's something good like this. Three cheers for Australia!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What a ride.

Highlights include "No's gonna win" on repeat for 3 months, also "Are you gay?"

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

FFS stop saying this poo poo

39% of responders which is maybe 20% of the population when you include people who didn't vote, voted informally or were below voting age (this impacts people not old enough to vote, after all)

I assume the maths on this is correct, I didn't check:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dude McAwesome posted:

Anyone in Melbourne going to the Yes party at Trades Hall? I walked past earlier when they were setting up and it looked like a dope setup.

I'm guessing the SDA won't be attending?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cheap Trick posted:

I assume the maths on this is correct, I didn't check:

I don't think the senate one is right because we have proportional, but the lower house one is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think the senate one is right because we have proportional, but the lower house one is.
There's an even more obvious error in the Reps numbers.

There are 150 seats in the Reps, not 133.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

What a ride.

Highlights include "No's gonna win" on repeat for 3 months, also "Are you gay?"

Today, we are all gay

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:cripes: I'm an idiot.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

the remaining reps are passed out Abbott-drunk across a broken coffee table and thus not in the chamber

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has anyone seen the mad monk today? Has he just bailed up in his thrice mortgaged home?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Has anyone seen the mad monk today? Has he just bailed up in his thrice mortgaged home?

He has released a few statements but is keeping his head down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/geofflemon/status/930590112588562432

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Considering being open and not racist towards immigrants leads to far better results with regard to integration, there's literally no need to change the left's position.

It is this.

I live right next to auburm which has massive Muslim and Christian Chinese populations. I saw multiple Chinese people handing out no propaganda. I did not see any Muslims doing this.

A few months ago there was an imam who pretty much said that the reason the muslim community has not been vocal on this issue is that they didnt want to piss off the left as they were afraid of losing allies. The chinese community hasn't needed the left as an ally mostly because we arent putting them in concentration camps.

Essentially lots of the muslim community have been peer pressured into not being vocally homophobic because of the left's decency towards them.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 15, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/nsw-liberal-party-to-erupt-before-bennelong-by-election/ar-BBEY1Ez

MSN posted:

Internal divisions within the NSW Liberal Party are expected to erupt just a week before the Prime Minister attempts to win the crucial Bennelong by-election.
9NEWS understands Mr Turnbull's moderate or left faction of the state Liberal Party will try and railroad their factional enemies on the right led by Tony Abbott, by proposing a different constitutional model.

The right faction is expecting Mr Abbott's "Warringah Motion" to be ratified at a meeting of the party's State Council at Sydney Town Hall on December 9.

The motion gives every party member a vote in preselections for seats in parliament and was overwhelmingly upheld at a special convention in July.

The moderates are backing an alternative, what's called the "Bennelong Model", which will only see local plebiscites for lower house seats in the state and federal parliaments.

Senate appointments will be selected by State Council delegates.

A senior source said Mr Abbott's proposal for "one member one vote" was impractical and too expensive. "The party would have to hire the Sydney Cricket Ground to give everyone a vote."

Senior moderates concede the fight on plebiscites has now been lost but they are holding firm on their view that Tony Abbott's model is susceptible to branch stacking and don't want these changes to bankrupt the party.

The "Bennelong Model" was borne from a conference of former Prime Minister John Howard's local party members. Senior figures hope this will bring an end to the internal divisions that have plagued the NSW party.

Members of the right faction have threatened to defect to Cory Bernardi's Australian Conservative party if the Warringah Motion is not ratified.

Complaints about an ideological shift to the left and excessive influence of lobbyists like Michael Photios have been at their heart of their concerns.

Both the Warringah Model and Bennelong Model have been through the Party's Constitutional Standing Committee and will be voted on at the Annual General Meeting on December 9.

:newfap:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Melbourne trades party is a wet but good time if you're in town.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Just a reminder of Jim Molan's contribution to public policy:

"Following his retirement from the army, Molan was appointed by the Abbott Government as a special envoy for Operation Sovereign Borders and was subsequently credited with being an architect of the coalition's Stop the Boats Australian border protection and asylum-seeker policies."

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gay marriage legislation formally tabled on the day it's announced a majority of Australians want it and we get to see genuine evidence the LNP is about to implode?

I AM SOLID AS A loving ROCK RIGHT NOW.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

It is this.

I live right next to auburm which has massive Muslim and Christian Chinese populations. I saw multiple Chinese people handing out no propaganda. I did not see any Muslims doing this.

A few months ago there was an imam who pretty much said that the reason the muslim community has not been vocal on this issue is that they didnt want to piss off the left as they were afraid of losing allies. The chinese community hasn't needed the left as an ally mostly because we arent putting them in concentration camps.

Essentially lots of the muslim community have been peer pressured into not being vocally homophobic because of the left's decency towards them.

This is a weird conclusion to draw. If you are saying that Muslims have been pressured into not being homophobic because they are repressed and marginalised, whereas Chinese people are free to be more hateful because they are more accepted in society, surely the assumption would be that repression reduces homophobia, not leftist tolerance and decency.

(I'm not arguing this is how people actually think or repression of minorities is something the left should embrace)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

Melbourne trades party is a wet but good time if you're in town.

Will it be worthwhile heading down in about an hour or so?

• Locked thread