Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Hollismason posted:

I truly believe that Trump broke our political system

no fox news and social media allowed fake news to warp stupid minds broke our system

trump is a symptom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

ReidRansom posted:

Funny thing about this Alabama race, it would have been an excellent opportunity for a possibly Libertarian pick-up, but it this is like the one time they don't put one of their kooks on the ballot. Probably for the best for the rest of us, but a huge error on their part.

the lesson for democrats and any political party is to contest every election

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

dbukalski posted:

it also gives the gop voters to do the mental gymnastics to vote moore no matter what

right after the news dropped was the most humane honest reaction captured by polls. over the next month fox talking points will worm their way into their brains and theyll pull the lever for (R)

moores gonna win

Moore probably wins, but the only reason he wins is because the DNC is stupid. Look at where he did his press conference from, that is where the DNC should be targeting their ads. It is where alot of the money in the state resides and they are also very persuadable. Most of the people in those areas relate much more with Jones than they do Moore.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

omg we need to contesting every election

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

dbukalski posted:

omg we need to contesting every election

No only districts with a certain amount of Panera Breads per capita, that's where the votes are if we promise tax cuts and deregulation and balanced budgets

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

When Rush says Moore was a democrat, is he throwing him under the bus or is he trying to say he only used to be a horrible person?

the listeners get to decide which they prefer

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

VitalSigns posted:

No only districts with a certain amount of Panera Breads per capita, that's where the votes are if we promise tax cuts and deregulation and balanced budgets

Yeah we can probably win a bunch of extra districts if we contest them by running Republicans.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

reagan was the worst, all the neocons from bush came from the reagan admin, the reagan admin is responsible for both the necons getting power and the worst aspects of neoliberalism, so he's the worst, thanks

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reagan also killed all unions by loving the ATC strike.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Your Taint posted:

Unless it's the Clinton Foundation. Then Hillary should get executed twice.

Only twice wouldn't do it. Her email phylactery will bring her back to unlife shortly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dbukalski posted:

it also gives the gop voters to do the mental gymnastics to vote moore no matter what

right after the news dropped was the most humane honest reaction captured by polls. over the next month fox talking points will worm their way into their brains and theyll pull the lever for (R)

moores gonna win

Fox talking points are that Moore is bad

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/930701960914841600

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

How dare a host on Fox News not fellate Trump, Shep Smith should be ashamed of himself for not spreading Trump's propaganda.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

Washington gets high marks purely because he turned down being king.

Also, don't be passive and just go "we'll get em with the demographics someday!" Get off your rear end and get those younglings, Latinos, and demographic shifties to the polls now 2018 primary) and forever. Demographics mean gently caress all unless they also turn in a ballot.

This post was quite a bit ago but why is JFK not on the list. Is it just because goons are jealous he hosed Marilyn Monroe?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I reckon the best presidents are probably the quiet ones nobody can quite remember and who aren't solely defined by a particular grandiose action.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Flayer posted:

I reckon the best presidents are probably the quiet ones nobody can quite remember and who aren't solely defined by a particular grandiose action.

Mostly those are the boringly corrupt gilded age ones. The greats are ones people remember.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Withnail posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/california-tehama-county-shootings/index.html

I'm looking forward to the day when someone becomes a national hero by accidentally running over an active shooter while texting on their phone.

AFAIR that happened in Germany, but with a an active slasher.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Terebus posted:

This post was quite a bit ago but why is JFK not on the list. Is it just because goons are jealous he hosed Marilyn Monroe?

Maybe you should come up with reasons why he should be on the list, rather than criticize why he was left off.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Terebus posted:

JFK massively hosed up regarding Vietnam. I'd say no President involved in the Vietnam war belongs on a list of "good presidents".

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its tough to compare presidents from before america was like a world historical power to 20th century presidents. in some sense any given president of imperial america did and will continue to do way more harm than like, some gilded age rear end in a top hat, or like buchanan. at the same time thats not really a fair comparison. but thats at least why i would say reagan is worse than andrew johnson, who is the boring answer

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Terebus posted:

Kennedy didn't really get that much done and what little he did was kind of bad. Yeah the space program stuff was good and he was an effective communicator for it so I give him that.

Kennedy's handling of the missle crisis is one of the most annoying myths in American politics. He needlessly escalated the crisis to save face and the solution - pulling missles from Turkey in return for the Soviets pulling their's from Cuba - was proposed by Kruschev and Kennedy declined it to appear strong.

He also escalated Vietnam. I'm not certain about this, but I believe he basically turned it into a war. Yes, Eisenhower sent troops first but Kennedy really escalated it (I believe. I'm on my phone and not able to check).

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

logger posted:

Maybe you should come up with reasons why he should be on the list, rather than criticize why he was left off.

I'm not very familiar with Kennedy, that's the reason I asked.

I thought he was pro civil rights at a time where it wasn't the norm for a white person to be. He also invested heavily in the space program and I like space stuff. That's my two hot takes on JFK.

Thanks to all the other posters pointing out the Vietnam things.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

amazing

https://twitter.com/BySteveReilly/status/930672990668369920?s=17

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Terebus posted:

Nearly started a nuclear war. Raped an intern.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gort posted:

JFK massively hosed up regarding Vietnam. I'd say no President involved in the Vietnam war belongs on a list of "good presidents".

Tbf JFK was probably going to massively scale back Vietnam engagement, before he suffered an involuntary trepanation. Whether those two things are connected or not is left up to your (and Oliver Stone's) imagination

Lol. Wait... Pizza party or "pizza party"? Neither is encouraging I guess.

Man, people who buy into Pizzagate must be extremely :tinfoil: when their keyboard auto-predicts the pizza emoji (🍕)

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 15, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zas posted:

its tough to compare presidents from before america was like a world historical power to 20th century presidents. in some sense any given president of imperial america did and will continue to do way more harm than like, some gilded age rear end in a top hat, or like buchanan. at the same time thats not really a fair comparison. but thats at least why i would say reagan is worse than andrew johnson, who is the boring answer

Buchanon was directly responsible for a Civil War in which 750,000 Americans died! More Americans died in that war than all our other wars combined!

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 15, 2017

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I know it's a derail but I find it interesting.

I actually think LBJ deserves more respect and should be decently high on the list, despite the crime that was the Vietnam war. The Civil Rights act and Great Society were landmark achievements even if he didn't achieve everything he wanted with the latter.

He was also just a very competent politician who knew how to get poo poo done.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Giggy posted:

I actually think LBJ deserves more respect and should be decently high on the list, despite the crime that was the Vietnam war. The Civil Rights act and Great Society were landmark achievements even if he didn't achieve everything he wanted with the latter.

The Vietnam war was such a vast crime though. It's hard to overestimate how poo poo it was and Johnson's handling of it only made it worse.

Charlz Guybon posted:

More Americans died in that war than all or other wars combined!

Not true

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Giggy posted:

I know it's a derail but I find it interesting.

He was also just a very competent politician who knew how to get poo poo done.

He also whipped out his dong on the reg to intimidate people so I'd rather nobody follow his example

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I think you're all forgetting the taped telephone conversation where he talks about his "bunghole." Based on that criteria alone LBJ was miles ahead of anyone else.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Eox posted:

He also whipped out his dong on the reg to intimidate people so I'd rather nobody follow his example

Too late

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'll just put my response to the dipshits earlier in this thread saying I was a gimmick poster when I said Christians in America would be more likely to vote for Moore given the accusations against him here:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/married-young-the-fight-over-child-marriage-in-america/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Man, I want to know what dirt Shep has that keeps them from firing him, it must be amazing.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Terebus posted:

I'm not very familiar with Kennedy, that's the reason I asked.

I thought he was pro civil rights at a time where it wasn't the norm for a white person to be. He also invested heavily in the space program and I like space stuff. That's my two hot takes on JFK.

Thanks to all the other posters pointing out the Vietnam things.

Kennedy gets lionized around these parts due to the Irish population (I'm from the NYC area) but he was no more or no less a calculating politician than anyone else. (Everything that follows is my opinion and I could very well be completely wrong). You could say that he was a sort of modern prototype of the triangulating Democratic third way that you see today although the focus on labor was much greater because of the time. I don't think he was necessarily overly enthusiastic about Civil Rights legislation (although his brother very much was...and it cost him..) but it had to be addressed because, people were dying in some pretty notable ways due to the strife over Civil Rights. Like, white folks in the south were not going to fail to play their parts and be complete loving monsters to African Americans.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gort posted:

The Vietnam war was such a vast crime though. It's hard to overestimate how poo poo it was and Johnson's handling of it only made it worse.

Not true
All war is a crime. A crime judged by the results. Truman successfully defended S. Korea and today it is prosperous and democratic. Despite the fact that the US military was far more savage in that war than in Vietnam he is lauded.

If we won in Vietnam no one would remember the atrocities. We lost so LBJ and Nixon are poo poo on for losing and the crimes committed along the way.

Going by Wikipedia here, but 1,354,664-750,000 is 604,664, so yes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, I want to know what dirt Shep has that keeps them from firing him, it must be amazing.

I like to imagine that he's just so sassy that they don't really know how to interact with him and everyone leaves him alone.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

...the US military was far more savage in (the Korean War) than in Vietnam...

Not saying you're wrong, but do you have something to back this statement up? The US military was pretty loving savage in Vietnam.

Though that impression might be due to the plethora of reporting and TV footage from Vietnam.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gort posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but do you have something to back this statement up? The US military was pretty loving savage in Vietnam.

Though that impression might be due to the plethora of reporting and TV footage from Vietnam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.d41b1e0d60d7

quote:

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,” Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Strategic Air Command during the Korean War, told the Office of Air Force History in 1984. Dean Rusk, a supporter of the war and later secretary of state, said the United States bombed “everything that moved in North Korea, every brick standing on top of another.” After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Shepard Smith is the reason Fox is allowed to call itself 'fair and balanced' - he's their way of being able to say "See, we provide both sides of the argument"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: double post.

• Locked thread