Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Is the BofA card the BankAmericard one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is the BofA card the BankAmericard one?

Yep, that’s it. Do you have any other BofA cards? If you apply for that one and they don’t give you enough of a credit line, you can transfer some from another card. I did this a few months ago to pay off a private student loan. Throwing $1600/month at it will allow me to pay off $22k of student loan debt interest free in less than 15 months. I also had done it about 3 years ago to pay off another private loan using the citi simplicity.

Having good credit is awesome and can be leveraged to a huge benefit. It should be stated that you NEED TO PAY IT OFF WITHIN THE 0%APR term! Doing the above dropped my score from ~820 to about 740, but it climbs about 15 points every month I pay 8x the minimum payment.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

In this scenario all of the flights are already business class and at 1K/Platinum/Diamond.

Be still my beating heart

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

astral posted:

Whoa, this is new to me - Chase sent me an e-mail confirming I'd get the points for a Chase Sapphire Preferred referral I gave a friend. Haven't referred anyone in a while so they may have been doing this for a bit, but it's definitely cool to get an e-mail about it now instead of wondering whether or not it worked correctly.
I referred a friend this past week and didn't get notified... They used the referral link, I was in the room when they signed up/were approved... How long was the turn around for notification for you?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

I referred a friend this past week and didn't get notified... They used the referral link, I was in the room when they signed up/were approved... How long was the turn around for notification for you?

Couple weeks if I remember correctly.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

astral posted:

Couple weeks if I remember correctly.
Ah ok. I shall wait a while.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Anyone ever put a signing bonus onto the next cards minimum for a signing bonus? Correct me if im wrong but i think it may be an arbitrage opp given enough good credit to keep on getting the bonuses card after card...even better with 0% for borrowing against the next bonus (additional extra bonus per card).. Thoughts?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

anne frank fanfic posted:

Anyone ever put a signing bonus onto the next cards minimum for a signing bonus? Correct me if im wrong but i think it may be an arbitrage opp given enough good credit to keep on getting the bonuses card after card...even better with 0% for borrowing against the next bonus (additional extra bonus per card).. Thoughts?

I have no idea what you just asked...

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think he's asking if he can chain together balance transfers to fill a bunch of spending bonuses without actually spending anything.

Paying a credit card with another credit card isn't considered a purchase but a balance transfer, it usually has a fee (sometimes waived for a few specific cards) and never counts towards spending requirements.

People have done weird things to accomplish the same thing, but usually these methods are a pain to do, carry a fee, or will get your account shut down if you use it too much.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
You're describing churn, and while it used to be quite lucrative the time and effort involved to do it probably outweigh the benefit it provides in TYOOL 2017-18.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So what are people doing about their Chase Sapphire Reserve now that it is coming up for renewal?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

So what are people doing about their Chase Sapphire Reserve now that it is coming up for renewal?
I cancelled mine before the renewal after burning all of my UR points, cashing in $600 in travel credits, and signing up for TSA Pre-check. I was never a good long-term candidate for the card, but that signup bonus was too good to ignore.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

smackfu posted:

Keeping it. Not counting the sign-in bonus, and subtracting the annual fee, I get well over $1k a year in reward points from it for travel combined with the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. Its a shame I can’t put my work travel expenses on it or I would be tripling that.

I’m constantly traveling and eating out though, if that wasn’t the case I would probably cancel it and get the CSP or that new Barclays Uber card.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

smackfu posted:

I'm probably going to cancel mine, but I've got ~82k points left and I'm not really sure what to do with them. I know I'll "lose" value if I don't redeem them for travel via the UR site, but I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and probably won't have a chance to go on vacation for a bit. I'll probably end up transferring them to Southwest or something.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I'm probably going to cancel mine, but I've got ~82k points left and I'm not really sure what to do with them. I know I'll "lose" value if I don't redeem them for travel via the UR site, but I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and probably won't have a chance to go on vacation for a bit. I'll probably end up transferring them to Southwest or something.

United and Hyatt are transfer partners and both have 1.5+ value for their points.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Animal posted:

United and Hyatt are transfer partners and both have 1.5+ value for their points.

Oh cool, thanks!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Used all my CSR points for an 8 day trip thru the Baltic last spring. Now I've cancelled it.

Got me a $1600 value vacation for 2 paid for only $450 signup bonus. Plus the $300 travel credit from 2016 was fully used on a business trip, and fully reimbursed by my company! What a year!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I think it is perfectly fine for us to keep the CSR. The 3% on restaurants then 1.5x redemption on travel is hard to beat and we spend a decent amount on travel each year.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Keeping mine and canceling my wife's. I started traveling for work every week, so I'm earning a silly amount of points with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Keeping it. It's really only $150/year and the points/travel bonuses are great. I just need to figure out what to do with all of the points since I mainly travel with American. Thinking about using them for a honeymoon at the Park Hyatt Maldives, but not sure if there are any other good options.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Just a reminder that you can register your Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass to get the digital membership card now. If you already had a priority pass account, you're still forced to make a new one because technology is difficult for them.

Link: https://www.prioritypass.com/chasedmc

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

Just a reminder that you can register your Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass to get the digital membership card now. If you already had a priority pass account, you're still forced to make a new one because technology is difficult for them.

Oh hey this is cool. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. I registered for the card but managed to forget it every time I flew since.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

astral posted:

Not every PriorityPass lounge accepts the digital membership so make sure the lounges you want to visit do before you travel if you plan on not bringing the card.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

Uber card application site is up. $100 signup bonus is OK I suppose, the 4% on dining is great but on par with my Reserve card. I picked it up regardless though because of the phone insurance.

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/uber-visa-card.html
Just got this card also. One quirk:

Uber Eats counts for earning 4%, but if you tip, it's a separate charge which only earns 2%.

This is likely because uber eats is some specific exception not based on Merchant Category Code (the MCC is the same). Since Uber rides only earn 2%, and the tip charge for uber eats vs. uber is indistinguishable, they probably can't reliably differentiate between them, so they can't fix this without either giving uber ride tips 4% or changing the uber ecosystem so that ride tips and eats tips show up differently.

In any case I have a ticket open with Barclays complaining about it but I doubt I'll get anywhere since no one else on the internet seems to have noticed and in the end it's going to be such a minuscule amount that no one will care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Can you do big catering or office party orders on ubereats? I guess it would still be a small amount in the grand scheme of things but its not nothing, especially if youre doing 20% on a large order (times however many people are doing that). It might seem petty but ya I'd want all the rewards due for using a single service that they advertise as being eligible for a certain percentage.

I don't use ubereats tho so if it's just a $5 tip max each purchase or something I wouldn't be super concerned.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I'm looking at going on a trip to France next semester and I'm trying to see if getting a new card for it is a good idea. The CSR seems like it might be a good choice (although I don't know if I'm booking the flight or if it is through the school the trip is with yet) but it also might be useful to get a card with a 0% balance to cushion the expense before any scholarship money comes in. I already have a Barclays Arrival, Discover IT, Chase Freedom, and AmEx BCE, so I've used some of the better cards that have a no interest period. Thoughts?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

hbf posted:

No idea if this is actually working but according to this email I got, Chase Southwest card is offering CA residents a companion pass as a sign up bonus. That's a huge offer.
see here: http://madfientist.cardratings.com/cards/18
Note thats a referral link from another site (not mine), but I consider them reputable. I'm not in CA so I couldn't get the offer to show up, but for a companion pass it's worth a shot.

Is the companion pass for every flight for a year? That's how I'm reading that offer and if so, that's a stupid good deal.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Currently have ~800 rating, 12 accounts open. Is that too many or something? I currently can't get approved for a card to save my life. I'm told I recently opened too many cards, but my card cadence hasn't really changed-- a new one every 2-3 months. Tried the new BoA travel cards and a Barclay Arrival+, neither very tough cards to get approved for.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Currently have ~800 rating, 12 accounts open. Is that too many or something? I currently can't get approved for a card to save my life. I'm told I recently opened too many cards, but my card cadence hasn't really changed-- a new one every 2-3 months. Tried the new BoA travel cards and a Barclay Arrival+, neither very tough cards to get approved for.

These days, Barclay denies people for having 6 new cards from any issuer in the last 24 months. BoA denies based on how many BoA cards you hold/have applied for in various periods of time.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Interesting. With the companies all locking down their cards, either I'll have to figure out how to open exclusively business cards or maybe even wait 24 months to completely reset my card counters.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

El Mero Mero posted:

Is the companion pass for every flight for a year? That's how I'm reading that offer and if so, that's a stupid good deal.

Yes.

Source: wife and I had companion pass all this year through hitting 110k points or whatever late last year. Both cards were in her name, so I'm going to be signing up for this and getting us another year of companion passes!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I signed up for the Southwest card a few weeks ago, now I'm seeing that the fine print might only qualify those who receive the promo email as opposed to clicking through a link on one of the cc blogs (like what I did). I made a few purchases immediately so we'll see soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spf3million posted:

I signed up for the Southwest card a few weeks ago, now I'm seeing that the fine print might only qualify those who receive the promo email as opposed to clicking through a link on one of the cc blogs (like what I did). I made a few purchases immediately so we'll see soon.

It became a public offer at some point (still only for Californians), so you ought to be fine.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh sweet, fingers crossed!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

astral posted:

These days, Barclay denies people for having 6 new cards from any issuer in the last 24 months. BoA denies based on how many BoA cards you hold/have applied for in various periods of time.
I've seen BoA deny for too many accounts opened independent of issuer.

Fell Fire posted:

I'm looking at going on a trip to France next semester and I'm trying to see if getting a new card for it is a good idea. The CSR seems like it might be a good choice (although I don't know if I'm booking the flight or if it is through the school the trip is with yet) but it also might be useful to get a card with a 0% balance to cushion the expense before any scholarship money comes in. I already have a Barclays Arrival, Discover IT, Chase Freedom, and AmEx BCE, so I've used some of the better cards that have a no interest period. Thoughts?
Just a heads up. Barclay offers Chip+PIN on their cards (when overseas), as far as I know none of the others do. This can really help you if you're at an unattended train station or something.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Small White Dragon posted:

Just a heads up. Barclay offers Chip+PIN on their cards (when overseas), as far as I know none of the others do. This can really help you if you're at an unattended train station or something.

It's funny I recently decided to find a card that has:
  • No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fee
  • Chip & PIN support

I only found 1 that wasn't through some weird credit union, and it's the BofA Travel Rewards card.

Just a few months later and that Uber card came out (through Barclays), so now I don't even need the BofA anymore.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Amex BCE had me assign a PIN when I got a chip card, I think that means its chip+pin compatible now? Still has a foreign transaction fee though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pekinduck posted:

Amex BCE had me assign a PIN when I got a chip card, I think that means its chip+pin compatible now? Still has a foreign transaction fee though.

Could be for cash advances.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yep, Citi sent me a letter with a PIN in it also for cash advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Coming up on a year on my Reserve, I'll be keeping it for at least another year, does the Priority Pass membership renew?