Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cheekio posted:

Link your too hot for Google playlist

well it did apparently turn out to not be too hot so i have no idea what even happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

lol forums nevermind then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

After Oreo the most recent photo on my camera doesn't show up when I select it from the bottom right of the camera app. So that's nice. But it should be backed up to the cloud in *status animation still going on for the last half hour*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google must have pissed someone off pretty good, a republican from missouri has taken a sudden interest in enforcing anti-trust

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the best (worst) is when you click a link in the gmail ios app, and it pops up the android "which app would you like to use to browse? CHROME or safari" when you don't have chrome installed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Plank Walker posted:

the best (worst) is when you click a link in the gmail ios app, and it pops up the android "which app would you like to use to browse? CHROME or safari" when you don't have chrome installed

that's one of the many reasons why I don't use the gmail ios app. i don't use the youtube app either because i can't block ads in it the way i can in safari with purify.

i also don't use the facebook app for similar reasons, but i was forced to get the pages manager app because i can't pull up taco truck messages in the browser most of the time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

google probably at one point said something that might be construed as suggesting that maybe nazis are not very nice people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:yayclod:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cant even tell if those are activities or real estate or bands

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's one of the many reasons why I don't use the gmail ios app. i don't use the youtube app either because i can't block ads in it the way i can in safari with purify.

i also don't use the facebook app for similar reasons, but i was forced to get the pages manager app because i can't pull up taco truck messages in the browser most of the time.

i hate the youtube app for ios but no streaming video will load on my ipad. the only thing that works is the youtube app, which is a huge toilet.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Powaqoatse posted:

cant even tell if those are activities or real estate or bands

It's meant literally. Google + recommends living in a loft.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheany posted:

It's meant literally. Google + recommends living in a loft.

but I don’t wanna

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao g-suite is just absolute loving trash.

google's own data migration tool can't even reliably move mail from gmail accounts, support just shrugs, offers a random setting change and closes the ticket. of course their trash fire of an imap implementation also chokes if you attempt to push more than a few hundred messages from a client, so there's no manual migration either.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
my favorite google feature is how it only lets you set your home and work address for google maps directions if you give them permission to save your location history

if you enable location history for a minute, set your addresses and disable it they dont delete them (still visible in the gui) but you cant use them in your searches because gently caress you for trying to keep a modicum of privacy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

my favorite google feature is how it only lets you set your home and work address for google maps directions if you give them permission to save your location history

if you enable location history for a minute, set your addresses and disable it they dont delete them (still visible in the gui) but you cant use them in your searches because gently caress you for trying to keep a modicum of privacy

yea its p bad

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

poty posted:

well, they capture your location anyway, so why bother blocking location permission?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

google's own data migration tool can't even reliably move mail from gmail accounts, support just shrugs, offers a random setting change and closes the ticket. of course their trash fire of an imap implementation also chokes if you attempt to push more than a few hundred messages from a client, so there's no manual migration either.

lol you thought google does customer support of any kind

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbh i was surprised they even pretended to have a support option

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

lol you thought google does customer support of any kind

they have phone support for their ad services in europe, to surprise of no one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it would not surprise me that they have support for ad services in america, too, as they are an advertising company

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*looks up location on google maps*

oh apparently i was there a year ago

*google maps shows me exact route I took with times*

wtf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah if you have location history turned on go to google maps, click the hamburger menu, and click "timeline" and prepare to be astounded

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pay the 8 bucks for migrationwiz. that's your only option that won't make you rip your hair out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

yeah if you have location history turned on go to google maps, click the hamburger menu, and click "timeline" and prepare to be astounded

yeah its really useful for finding things

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

but apparently if I have location services and such turned off google still has my location data? I read something about that recently.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

pay the 8 bucks for migrationwiz. that's your only option that won't make you rip your hair out.

oh no, it's cool, a second level tech actually called me* and gave me a ridiculously complicated process to enable "g suite migration for microsoft exchange", which as the name implies migrates mail from gmail to g suite.

but you have to run a local client to do it, but everything is transferred server to server. it does work though, it will take approximately 26 hours to transfer 28k messages (~4GB).

i have no idea what kind of rear end in a top hat designed any of this poo poo, but i'll bet they make the BOFH look cuddly

*and confirmed that no, the migration tool just doesn't work, a lot of the time, they don't know why.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you have to try real fuckin' hard to make an experience worse than migrating to exchange, but god bless 'em, they've done it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actionjackson posted:

but apparently if I have location services and such turned off google still has my location data? I read something about that recently.

yea they just pretend they dont

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

i have no idea what kind of rear end in a top hat designed any of this poo poo, but i'll bet they make the BOFH look cuddly

here’s my understanding of how things work at google.

1) googler or team of decide to go off on their own and do some project, with no consideration of what anyone else in the company is doing.
2) they write something and deploy it.
3) it turns out it doesn’t work for real world customers because of a million real world considerations.
4) team is already bored and moved elsewhere, abandoning their project.

now comes the problem when there are paying customers. they can’t just be ignored because lol free service. so one of the team members is dragged off of whatever new thing they’re working on to go back and fix the thing for customers. they obviously don’t want to do this and have no incentive to get it done well, they just want to toss something out and move on. so they poo poo out something as fast as possible that kind of works but who cares if it actually meets customer needs.

and that’s how you got your migration tool.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

1) googler or team of decide to go off on their own and do some project, with no consideration of how it will bring in ad revenue
3) it turns out it doesn’t bring in ad revenue
4) team abandons their project because it doesn't bring in ad revenue

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

I was signing up for gsuite or whatever to put my mail behind a custom domain, but got sidetracked and didn't finish. when i came back, i tried putting in the same account name and it said something like "user already exists" which was weird because i never signed up! i used a different username and signed up because i figured i could just delete the other one

i couldnt

i could see it in a batch printout of all users in my account, but i had no way of deleting it.

i ended up deleting my account after like 3 days when it hadn't fixed itself. i'd rather not go into the google customer support purgatory

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m not a computer janitor but I signed up for gsuite once for a little side project with like 4 other people. just administering that was painful enough, I can’t imagine how bad it would be to actually have a large number of users.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Management posted:

1) googler or team of decide to go off on their own and do some project, with no consideration of what anyone else in the company is doing.
3) it turns out it doesn’t work for real world customers because of a million real world considerations.
4) team is already bored and moved elsewhere, abandoning their project.

now comes the problem when there are paying customers. they can’t just be ignored because lol free service. so one of the team members is dragged off of whatever new thing they’re working on to go back and fix the thing for customers. they obviously don’t want to do this and have no incentive to get it done well, they just want to toss something out and move on. so they poo poo out something as fast as possible that kind of works but who cares if it actually meets customer needs.

and that’s how you got your migration tool.

Replace "dragged off" with "manager who was voluntold to fix it scrounges for heads from the new hire pool and anyone desperate enough for any seat in their metro because their last team was defunded and they'll be laid off in two months" and you're not too far off the mark.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
also being part of this kind of project is almost totally necessary in order to get promoted

technically the requirement is to demonstrate that you can do technical design by building a portfolio of design documents but obviously there are a lot more opportunities to write those when you're doing something from scratch than when you're incrementally improving an existing product. and the fact that the project should never have been approved doesn't reflect on the engineers (even the senior ones who pushed for it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

I’m not a computer janitor but I signed up for gsuite once for a little side project with like 4 other people. just administering that was painful enough, I can’t imagine how bad it would be to actually have a large number of users.

generally speaking my job is to look at what's in place and what the client wants to do and come up with a plan to make that work. sometimes the client decides they're going to make specific requirements on the tools used, for whatever reason, this is one of those cases.

given the choice i wouldn't touch google services. beyond poo poo just being fundamentally broke on a dozen levels, there's also that aforementioned problem of them just up and abandoning/EOLing products because they got bored and nobody thinks long term support is sexy or important.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my favourite google thing rn is they got rid of the Google Drive client for macos and there's now two replacements to choose from

"Drive File Stream" makes it permanently appear as removable storage
"Backup and Sync from Google" is largely identical to the old Google Drive client except you have to delete Google Drive and then install the "Backup and Sync from Google" client which has the catchy title "Backup and Sync From Google.app" in your applications folder

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

THC posted:

my favourite google thing rn is they got rid of the Google Drive client for macos and there's now two replacements to choose from

"Drive File Stream" makes it permanently appear as removable storage
"Backup and Sync from Google" is largely identical to the old Google Drive client except you have to delete Google Drive and then install the "Backup and Sync from Google" client which has the catchy title "Backup and Sync From Google.app" in your applications folder

if you used a real operating system the google drive client just updated itself to backup and sync

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

if you used a real operating system the google drive client just updated itself to backup and sync

yes but not having software vendors randomly inflict BS on you is why macs are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes but not having software vendors randomly inflict BS on you is why macs are good

office on Mac is so polite with its updates that it didn't even run for a month because it needed an update to the updater and didn't want to bother me with asking

• Locked thread