Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I would like everyone to know I have survived my 6er and the hospital was very nice when they patched up the knife wound in my back.

Also boredomm there's always another person. If it gets hosed up it's either their fault in which case, good riddance, or it's your fault so you just fix yourself for next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Qwijib0 posted:

megacolon alone is worth the trip.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

YESSSSSSS

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Another promising relationship successfully ruined. What a way to start the day. :sigh:
Probably for the best

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Because they still keep a lighter tone

I’m a huge DC fanboy but they’re amateur compared to Marvel movies
Yeah I want to go into a superhero movie to feel good and have a few laughs. It's why I probably will never see Logan despite knowing it's good, I would just get too bummed out watching it.

Though I will always prefer Marvel movies and live action TV over DC's stuff; I still think that run of DC cartoons from Batman to Justice League is the most perfect adaptation of comics ever made. Way more pathos than any DC movie, humor just as good as Marvel, and just overall perfectly cast. (I mean just go on IMDB and look at the talent they pulled for those shows)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I mean, of course every critic is going to poo poo on it, no matter how it is. I'm sure it's not like high art, but whatever I'll watch it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Eli Wiggum posted:

Probably for the best

It is while also being incredibly disappointing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I mean, of course every critic is going to poo poo on it, no matter how it is.

I am not sure where this mentality always comes from because it is demonstrably untrue

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure where this mentality always comes from because it is demonstrably untrue

It's a DC movie and you're trying to apply objective facts to a subjective statement about opinions, so perhaps stop being such a loving Mel.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No Butt Stuff posted:

I mean, of course every critic is going to poo poo on it, no matter how it is. I'm sure it's not like high art, but whatever I'll watch it.

Most critics don't poo poo on Marvel movies that are just fluff entertainment. It's not a "high art" vs "low art" thing on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic whatever.

The latest Thor movie is mostly jokes and bright colors and Cate Blanchett going HAM, and most critics liked it fine.

They also liked Wonder Woman a lot in spite of the imaginary PREJUDICE AGAINST DC or whatever.

:confused:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Most critics don't poo poo on Marvel movies that are just fluff entertainment. It's not a "high art" vs "low art" thing on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic whatever.

The latest Thor movie is mostly jokes and bright colors and Cate Blanchett going HAM, and most critics liked it fine.

They also liked Wonde Woman a lot in spite of the imaginary PREJUDICE AGAINST DC or whatever.

Wow, way to be a Mel

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Only read Peter Travers' reviews. He's not completely jaded and appreciates movies for what their intentions are.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also Wonder Woman suffered from pacing issues

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also, I might add, Mellingly, that saying critics will poo poo on a movie no matter how good it is is actually an objective statement, not a subjective one :eng101:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wow, way to be a Mel

On second thought I agree with whatever No Butt Stuff said instead.

A username I can get behind. :glomp:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

sean10mm posted:

They also liked Wonder Woman a lot in spite of the imaginary PREJUDICE AGAINST DC or whatever.

:confused:

This batch of DC movies has had the same set of issues all the way through, and while they aren't great movies, each one that I've watched hasn't been nearly as bad as any of the reviews would have led me to believe. (except suicide squad, gently caress that movie.)

I don't think it's a specific prejudice against DC, I think it's a prejudice against the type of movies Snyder and co creates. I think they're tonally different from Marvel, and since Marvel has kind of cornered the market, they end up being the gold standard. You end up with a whole bunch of pithy reviews judging a fish for it's ability to climb a tree.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, I might add, Mellingly, that saying critics will poo poo on a movie no matter how good it is is actually an objective statement, not a subjective one :eng101:

You might shut the gently caress up, but we know you never will.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

drat what did I do to piss off No Butt Stuff so bad

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--No stop posting and study!

No Butt Stuff posted:

You might shut the gently caress up, but we know you never will.

Let Mel Mel, he has math to study right now and is all sort of stressed out.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m glad the superhero movies exist to fund other movies I actually want to see

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

You can only cram so much pathos into a movie about super beings that wear tights and spandex and have such wonderful names as SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN.

Also the fact that these people are supposed to be superheroes who save people from monsters, and DC movies seem to take great glee in showing the death and destruction, but not the actual saving of lives (the "climax" of Man of Steel, good god)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

MoS is very good and BvS is flawed but interesting.

lol nope

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
hannity had a hillary clinton melt down last night

https://twitter.com/megrowler/status/930642533280915456

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The_Hat posted:

You can only cram so much pathos into a movie about super beings that wear tights and spandex and have such wonderful names as SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN.

Also the fact that these people are supposed to be superheroes who save people from monsters, and DC movies seem to take great glee in showing the death and destruction, but not the actual saving of lives (the "climax" of Man of Steel, good god)

Why can you only cram so much pathos in them? How much pathos is the limit?

Why are they supposed to be about seeing superheroes save people from monsters?

Who made these rules?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Isn't that literally the point of superheroes? They are powerful people who use their power to protect the weak and innocent

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Also you can decry the plebs or whatever who CLEARLY aren't as cultured as you are... but if you're making pop mass entertainment then you can't bitch if you go against their expectations and the masses go LOL NOPE.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I think single parents are the true super heroes.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Uterine Lineup posted:

I think single parents are the true super heroes.

the Venn Diagram intersection of Single Parents and Firefighters is where you'll actually find super heroes, friend

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'll have to tell my buddy at Ladder 4 to kill his wife so everyone respects him more

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The only heroic people are soldiers (not marines tho)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
BvS was so awful. It was a long boring slog of disjointed scenes, and stiff awkward dialog. It took itself with such deadly seriousness that there was no room for any fun or enjoyment. Each incomprehensible scene was dripping with WEIGHT so you knew just how SERIOUS this comic book movie was.

And then to top it off the resolution of the main conflict was so utterly dumb, and so inane, that it provided absolutely no payoff to the joyless task of wading through the previous two and a half hours of dreck.

gently caress. That. Movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If there is a fire in the army who are the guys in the army who fight that fire?

Those guys are the real heroes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isn't that literally the point of superheroes? They are powerful people who use their power to protect the weak and innocent

Is Deadpool a superhero movie?

Also, let’s ignore that Superman literally saves the world in Man of Steel. There are a lot of people in the world! All of them, in fact!

The marvel movies have a real high body count, they just make sure there’s enough ironic detachment that it doesn’t register.

I think the idea of world destroying catastrophes and galactic wars somehow being entirely bloodless, and actually pretty fun, is sort of boring, especially after the 12 iteration.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

whoof

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/930815626460921856

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a patagonian cavy posted:

the Venn Diagram intersection of Single Parents and Firefighters is where you'll actually find super heroes, friend

I know exactly one of those and he turned out to be a mo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you are going to argue DC movies do not shy away from the tremendous human cost of violence why is Metropolis completely fine and rebuilt weeks after the end of Man of Steel

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lavar Ball vs Donald Trump is what we all deserve.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Donald Trump would never stand next to Lavar Ball for two reasons:

1) Lavar is taller than Donald, which is unacceptable because if you aren't tall then you are weak.

and we all know #2.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Lavar Ball vs Donald Trump is what we all deserve.

There would be enough self-sustained poo poo flinging in that feud to keep Trump distracted for years

Let's do it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are going to argue DC movies do not shy away from the tremendous human cost of violence why is Metropolis completely fine and rebuilt weeks after the end of Man of Steel

Also in BvS they went out of their way to make sure everyone knew superman and doomsday were fighting on a randomly abandoned island in between gotham and metropolis

this after they got so much poo poo for superman never deciding "hey zod lets go fight on the moon or something"

like they were already in space at one point and superman decided "nah lets go right back into the heart of the city, there's a family of white people i can dramatically save"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Why can you only cram so much pathos in them? How much pathos is the limit?

Who made these rules?

Stan Lee, but then they were reaffirmed by everyone who saw The Watchmen, which was about breaking all those rules and seeing what happened.

• Locked thread