Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Dark Project posted:

The thing I don't really think fits is having the ability to make a tent. Not in the zone. The blowouts shake the gently caress out of all buildings, and unless you're in a room far away from windows are you ok. I don't think a tent would cut it vs one of them. Nor muties or bandits. I prefer to have to find shelter near where I am, or plan ahead. It makes the zone a lot more difficult.

Keep in mind you can drink a chemical that knocks you out for emissions and you wake up perfectly unscathed even if you did it in an open field

Section Z posted:

I suppose i should be thankful they didn't try to go full :pcgaming: and remove your PDA marker entirely :v:

I can see it now. "Oh you want to know what little side alley our custom game start location put you? Son I've got over 6,200+ hours of Misery playtime and I've got the whole map memorized like the back of my hand. Maybe don't ask for things handed to you on a silver platter"

The one Misery staff member who was posting on the Steam forums at all until he swiftly vanished to the safety of where they have moderator powers, loved to constantly reference having over 6,200+ hours of Misery gameplay time.

From everything to lighter chat to resurrected threads about how overly homicidal bandits would immediately kill their own hostage like in prior versions of Misery. Nothing wrong, that's how life is in the zone people die, I've got over 6,200+ hours and just snipe every single bandit to death. Think outside the box instead of asking us to fix quest we broke.

Don't suggest they remove PDAs all together...they'll make it something else you have to buy or find and have "tuned".

And gently caress that two months bullshit. I want to play a game so I can enjoy it, not so it replaces me beating myself with a whip to beating myself with a mouse/keyboard
"The power of the Monolith compels thee" WHACK

quote:

A case of lack of real life experience here? Desktop soldier? Some players may imagine a command quarters box tent, but we never did anything to make you think that way. Also, you have to think of tent in MISERY as shift made shelter rather than bedroom size comfortable tent.

Yeah, that was great. "Don't you have any experience? You expect some huge box tent instead of this little tent you can barely fit your head in. loving plebs"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

SocketWrench posted:

Keep in mind you can drink a chemical that knocks you out for emissions and you wake up perfectly unscathed even if you did it in an open field.

This is true, but after 3 sessions of doing this, you no longer hear the background voices from the zone. I think it's akin to a blowout trying to lobotomize you and turn you into a zombie, but the chemicals interfere with it enough that it is only able to get part-way. If anything, making a tent to see out a blowout should also require anabiotics. The shielding from the foil fabric you use to make a tent (not kidding, there is such in the game you can make a bed with for use with the tent) in conjunction with anabiotics should be the only way you should be able to survive a blowout in the field. Otherwise, it's zombie time.

I do love the Misery Mod, and I've had fun completing the latest set of Alun's Journal (where the stashes actually give you halfway decent/great loot!). I've also downloaded a mod optimisation which takes into account the bullets being used in guns and how it affects recoil. The basic problem is vanilla Misery has all guns jumping upwards if you use them in sustained fire mode, from light-round using SMG's all the way up to heavy machine-guns like the PKM. This new fix basically allows a lot more control for the guns which use smaller rounds. The "Frasier" MP5 is now loving awesome as a gun for a Recon, as it's jump is absolutely manageable, making it really worthwhile to carry with you in the field. The bullet damage has also been properly adjusted, so .45 ACP hydroshock rounds do a lot of damage vs non-armoured targets, but significantly less vs armoured foes. A really excellent help in the game.

Once you get into the flow of Misery, the micromanagement bothers you less. I wrote down the varying price differentials between what was being offered by Beard, Owl and Hermann for items, and made a list of who it is best to sell what to for the best price. It carries over to Hawaiian and Bonesetter, taking the same sales data as Beard and Owl. Makes selling things when you get back to base easier.

However, as many have mentioned, there are a bunch of tedious aspects to this game which, while trying to make it seem more authentic, can just be a pain in the arse a lot of the time. An example is removing the ability to bring up your knife or binoculars by hitting 1 or 5 respectively. Now you need to equip either in a slot to do that. That's pretty unecessary. Especially since as a Recon it can sometimes be necessary to need to scope out where enemies might be near you, see where you are being shot at from etc, and the requirement to make you go into your inventory screen, unequip a weapon and then equip the binoculars is just being more than a little mean. The removal of the direction arrow from your PDA is non-sensical, as it would likely be able to show that based on the fact that you'd likely be holding it the way you are facing.

Game wise the stuttering and crashes still suck, but the X-Ray engine isn't so crash hot to deal with in any case. But I do think a lot of this has to do with the amount of A-life in the zone.

Still love the mod though, and it's my preferred method of playing the game. I've wanted to give "Call of Misery" a try, but the game keeps crashing on me when I try to start a new game. Might have something to do with them wanting people to run "Last Day" in conjunction with it, who knows.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's more authentic to have to open your GUI inventory to pick up your binoculars, that's how it works in real life, anyways.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, I'd keep them in an easy access pouch at my belt more likely. If it takes a moment to get them out, fine, but having the option back to use them that way would make this mod play better.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My biggest complaint with misery 2.2 so far is that bandits and mercs almost never drop cocaine anymore to help with the loot run

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Now you mention it, yeah you're right. I mostly got all mine off Tremor's body, and Mercs.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Am I the only one who finds Misery 1 better than 2.x ?

Really, I think they went too far with realizm. It made the mod tedious (inventory management simulation anyone?) and artificial in a way (the well-trained "mutant squad" in first map corner is specially offensive here), when the first version already felt reasonably realistic and fun without those things. I know, it gets pretty easy when you arrive at Pripyat, while version 2.x keeps the difficulty up, but then I prefer having it a bit easy by endgame than enduring boredom and artificial difficulty through all game.

Oh, an the last time I've played 2.x they had frigged the factions relations. You couldn't be friends with bandits, nothing you do to Beard or Hawayan improved your relations to their factions, etc. I missed this kind of world reactivity and ended up going back to Misery 1. But then I don't know if they fixed it back in latest version.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've recommended misery 1.x over 2.x several times. It has its issues but it's much less stupid. I also prefer its dark ambient soundtrack (and replaced misery 2.0's with it).

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

This is true, but after 3 sessions of doing this, you no longer hear the background voices from the zone. I think it's akin to a blowout trying to lobotomize you and turn you into a zombie, but the chemicals interfere with it enough that it is only able to get part-way. If anything, making a tent to see out a blowout should also require anabiotics. The shielding from the foil fabric you use to make a tent (not kidding, there is such in the game you can make a bed with for use with the tent) in conjunction with anabiotics should be the only way you should be able to survive a blowout in the field. Otherwise, it's zombie time.

I do love the Misery Mod, and I've had fun completing the latest set of Alun's Journal (where the stashes actually give you halfway decent/great loot!). I've also downloaded a mod optimisation which takes into account the bullets being used in guns and how it affects recoil. The basic problem is vanilla Misery has all guns jumping upwards if you use them in sustained fire mode, from light-round using SMG's all the way up to heavy machine-guns like the PKM. This new fix basically allows a lot more control for the guns which use smaller rounds. The "Frasier" MP5 is now loving awesome as a gun for a Recon, as it's jump is absolutely manageable, making it really worthwhile to carry with you in the field. The bullet damage has also been properly adjusted, so .45 ACP hydroshock rounds do a lot of damage vs non-armoured targets, but significantly less vs armoured foes. A really excellent help in the game.

Once you get into the flow of Misery, the micromanagement bothers you less. I wrote down the varying price differentials between what was being offered by Beard, Owl and Hermann for items, and made a list of who it is best to sell what to for the best price. It carries over to Hawaiian and Bonesetter, taking the same sales data as Beard and Owl. Makes selling things when you get back to base easier.

However, as many have mentioned, there are a bunch of tedious aspects to this game which, while trying to make it seem more authentic, can just be a pain in the arse a lot of the time. An example is removing the ability to bring up your knife or binoculars by hitting 1 or 5 respectively. Now you need to equip either in a slot to do that. That's pretty unecessary. Especially since as a Recon it can sometimes be necessary to need to scope out where enemies might be near you, see where you are being shot at from etc, and the requirement to make you go into your inventory screen, unequip a weapon and then equip the binoculars is just being more than a little mean. The removal of the direction arrow from your PDA is non-sensical, as it would likely be able to show that based on the fact that you'd likely be holding it the way you are facing.

Game wise the stuttering and crashes still suck, but the X-Ray engine isn't so crash hot to deal with in any case. But I do think a lot of this has to do with the amount of A-life in the zone.

Still love the mod though, and it's my preferred method of playing the game. I've wanted to give "Call of Misery" a try, but the game keeps crashing on me when I try to start a new game. Might have something to do with them wanting people to run "Last Day" in conjunction with it, who knows.

I had tons of crash issues with Call of Misery but fixed it by using a standalone repak. you don't actually run call of pripyat to play, you use the standalone exe

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Misery 2.x is fine and most of the historical goon gripes always seem to come down to goons just don't actually want to learn/use the new systems introduced by the mod (repairing weapons, eating mutants w/ a vodka chaser, selling garbage to the right vendor for the best price). Also either CoC/CoM have turned me into some kind of ubermensch or 2.2 feels easy as hell compared to how I remember 2.0 and 2.1.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 31, 2017

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Misery 2.x is fine and most of the historical goon gripes always seem to come down to goons just don't actually want to learn/use the new systems introduced by the mod (repairing weapons, eating mutants w/ a vodka chaser, selling garbage to the right vendor for the best price). Also either CoC/CoM have turned me into some kind of ubermensch or 2.2 feels easy as hell compared to how I remember 2.0 and 2.1.

I couldn't stand Misery 2.x's items explosion and some of the other changes when I tried it, but found the same features in CoM interesting right from the start. I think it's the different expectation from a freeplay mod where the expanded mechanics and items just make sense. Misery's spawns suck IMO, just too much stuff crammed into too few of the most wide open maps in the games.

DesolationX, which CoM adds and builds on for its spawns, is based on making encounters infrequent but deadly. So wandering those maps keeps you on your toes without giving you places like Misery's Iron Forest. It reminds me of AMK where you never know what you'll encounter, but without some of AMK's excesses.

The Misery repair system is unnecessarily complex and adds too much to the item bloat, but is ok once you take the time to figure it out. The repair system does make it more rewarding when you loot a higher-ranked corpse to find a very good weapon maybe with a mod or two pre-applied and then save up enough to repair and get to use it. Weapon jamming rates are not high in CoM, so even low condition weapons can be used somewhat safely when needed.

Money isn't hard in CoM if you do tasks, they pay well enough. You're not going to be rich but you accumulate the dosh fast enough.

Misery 2's mechanics are pretty good when encountered in a setting with better spawns and maps like CoM, even when I didn't like them in CoP. Learning the new and somewhat complex systems feels like it has a better payoff. CoM has better weapon packs than Misery does, so that helps too. Both core CoM and STCoM are very good.

CoM and Misery differ in how they approach difficulty. CoM doesn't emphasize spawn-based difficulty, though it retains the challenge in gearing up. It feels like a cohesive Zone where items are more difficult to come by but more rewarding to find as a consequence. Battles are far less common yet more intense. It's a good mix and I hope the fabled "post-release" keeps the feel when it eventually comes out.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 1, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm having a fun issue in Misery 2.2 right now where any save in the area around the jupiter factory is corrupt so I can't die clearing the 30 zombies, 2 chimeras, 2 controllers, 1 poultergeist, and misc bloodsuckers on the way around to the main entrance or I have to start all over from a save way back on the road outside

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

poverty goat posted:

I'm having a fun issue in Misery 2.2 right now where any save in the area around the jupiter factory is corrupt so I can't die clearing the 30 zombies, 2 chimeras, 2 controllers, 1 poultergeist, and misc bloodsuckers on the way around to the main entrance or I have to start all over from a save way back on the road outside

Sometimes save corruption happens due to mutant body parts being messed up. It's possible one of your mutants is corrupted. Worth seeing if leaving the map and returning fixes things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

poverty goat posted:

One of these things is not like the other.

That said, do you have any hard saves outside of combat or not anywhere near the factory? Or is this happening to you even without trying to load autosaves/quicksaves? In which case refer to v1ld or people more versed in troubleshooting than I am.

Misery devs love to remind players that it's not their fault if autosaves, quicksaves, or saving anywhere near combat break the poo poo out of your game from the spawns and ramped up aggro detection beying to much for the engine to even handle. Complete with a pop up disclaimer with instructions to disable autosaves when you install the mod. So your problem could simply be Misery being Misery, if it's making GBS threads itself trying to load saves by one of the more creature loaded areas.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

v1ld posted:

Sometimes save corruption happens due to mutant body parts being messed up. It's possible one of your mutants is corrupted. Worth seeing if leaving the map and returning fixes things.
tried this already, even went to zaton on vacation for a couple of days, did not fix

Section Z posted:

One of these things is not like the other.

That said, do you have any hard saves outside of combat or not anywhere near the factory? Or is this happening to you even without trying to load autosaves/quicksaves? In which case refer to v1ld or people more versed in troubleshooting than I am.

Misery devs love to remind players that it's not their fault if autosaves, quicksaves, or saving anywhere near combat break the poo poo out of your game from the spawns and ramped up aggro detection beying to much for the engine to even handle. Complete with a pop up disclaimer with instructions to disable autosaves when you install the mod. So your problem could simply be Misery being Misery, if it's making GBS threads itself trying to load saves by one of the more creature loaded areas.
This all cropped up right after my smug post, naturally. Never had an issue like this before in a lot of years of stalker mods

What's extra weird is some of the bad saves can still be loaded but only if I load another older safe save first

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 1, 2017

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Also either CoC/CoM have turned me into some kind of ubermensch or 2.2 feels easy as hell compared to how I remember 2.0 and 2.1.

I'm having the exact same experience. CoM is loving brutal compared to Misery. I haven't died at all yet in 2.2 and I'm rolling in money from mutant hunts. Meanwhile, in CoM I can't get from the skavodsk to the svechenko without dying painfully if I don't watch my back.

v1ld posted:

DesolationX, which CoM adds and builds on for its spawns, is based on making encounters infrequent but deadly. So wandering those maps keeps you on your toes without giving you places like Misery's Iron Forest. It reminds me of AMK where you never know what you'll encounter, but without some of AMK's excesses.

Money isn't hard in CoM if you do tasks, they pay well enough. You're not going to be rich but you accumulate the dosh fast enough.

Idk, I personally feel like the economy needs to be adjusted. I like the high price of items, but mutant parts, artifacts and jobs should pay more in CoM. Knives degrade too fast, the hunter's kit does nothing, and the spawns are too high in my game. I love the mod, but those are my greatest annoyances. On the bright side, playing through such a brutal zone has made me a STALKER ubergod apparently

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My main gripe with CoM is there are no doctors in the maps with stashes, and no stashes in the maps with doctors

Stashes and doctors are p important to the early game balance in misery and the medkits changes are a little extreme if you cant get healed back at rostok or whatever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 1, 2017

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-com/addons/small-com-tweaks

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
Anyone have experience with stalkersoup?

I decided to try it out after playing stalker to death and I just visited streloks stash and got the military documents. However, whilst in the underground the controller messed me up pretty bad and now I seem to have the PSI Icon permanently on my HUD and I'm in the zombie faction now? This wouldn't really be an issue but all factions seem to be aggressive to me (Loners & Mercs so far) which is pretty problematic as I'm trying to get to the bar.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to fix this, google hasn't really been helpful and I don't really feel like finding an old save.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beemo posted:

Anyone have experience with stalkersoup?

I decided to try it out after playing stalker to death and I just visited streloks stash and got the military documents. However, whilst in the underground the controller messed me up pretty bad and now I seem to have the PSI Icon permanently on my HUD and I'm in the zombie faction now? This wouldn't really be an issue but all factions seem to be aggressive to me (Loners & Mercs so far) which is pretty problematic as I'm trying to get to the bar.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to fix this, google hasn't really been helpful and I don't really feel like finding an old save.

You're probably friendly to monsters and monolith now. One time in some mod I got zombiefied right when it was time to go to pripyat and I walked all the way up to the npp and up to the control room almost completely unmolested

I think there may be a cure with the scientists or something though. It's been a while

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Playing call of misery last day with the translation.

I know that it isn't supposed to be fully translated yet, but I was under the impression that the dialogue options would all be in English, and that the last part that needed to be translated was just the PDA network.

It appears as though some conversations and dialogue choices (for example, in the bar) are still in Russian. Is that just part of the incomplete translation or did I gently caress up somehow

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

v1ld posted:

I couldn't stand Misery 2.x's items explosion and some of the other changes when I tried it, but found the same features in CoM interesting right from the start. I think it's the different expectation from a freeplay mod where the expanded mechanics and items just make sense. Misery's spawns suck IMO, just too much stuff crammed into too few of the most wide open maps in the games.

The Misery repair system is unnecessarily complex and adds too much to the item bloat, but is ok once you take the time to figure it out. The repair system does make it more rewarding when you loot a higher-ranked corpse to find a very good weapon maybe with a mod or two pre-applied and then save up enough to repair and get to use it. Weapon jamming rates are not high in CoM, so even low condition weapons can be used somewhat safely when needed.

Misery 2's mechanics are pretty good when encountered in a setting with better spawns and maps like CoM, even when I didn't like them in CoP. Learning the new and somewhat complex systems feels like it has a better payoff. CoM has better weapon packs than Misery does, so that helps too. Both core CoM and STCoM are very good.

CoM and Misery differ in how they approach difficulty. CoM doesn't emphasize spawn-based difficulty, though it retains the challenge in gearing up. It feels like a cohesive Zone where items are more difficult to come by but more rewarding to find as a consequence. Battles are far less common yet more intense. It's a good mix and I hope the fabled "post-release" keeps the feel when it eventually comes out.
Yep, this. I actually liked Misery 2.x added mechanics (repair, butchering, etc). What fragged it up for me was the "artificial difficulty" aspect of spawn setups, "mutant platoons", long-range pinpoint accuracy of bandits, etc. Add to this the fragged up factions system that makes everyone your enemy (I like in Misery 1 that you can walk bandits or even ally then or be a "kingpin" of the zone, depending on your relations), and I vastly prefer Misery 1.

If CoM has those aspects better tuned, I will give it a try. Thanks. ;)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I gave Call of Misery a shot finally

Holy heck why did I ever wait. This is my ideal STALKER game. I've been sucked in completely. Everything feels consequential and super tense. Decided to raid Dark Valley HQ last night, got my assassination target, then ran like hell out of there with 10 cheeki breeki assholes shooting at me, starving and almost dead. Soon I'll have enough rb to invest in a decent rifle.

Play CoM its very good

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

Idk, I personally feel like the economy needs to be adjusted. I like the high price of items, but mutant parts, artifacts and jobs should pay more in CoM. Knives degrade too fast, the hunter's kit does nothing, and the spawns are too high in my game. I love the mod, but those are my greatest annoyances. On the bright side, playing through such a brutal zone has made me a STALKER ubergod apparently
Here's a collection of small tweaks that includes one for 3x slower down knife degradation. I recommend using all 4 tweaks.

my bony fealty posted:

Play CoM its very good
Couldn't agree more with you.

The post-release branch is adding some very cool new features - new particle effects for dust, fog, and more that take weather and location into account. He's done a bunch of engine mods. It will also incorporate a lot of the content from mods like Last Day and MLR. But his goal remains to keep it a compelling survive in the zone experience.

There is an overview article that goes into more detail.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Play CoM its very good

Oh yeah, it's my ideal brutal STALKER freeplay. I love the feeling of just-getting-by and with COM, that never really goes away even once you get nice equipment.

v1ld posted:

Here's a collection of small tweaks that includes one for 3x slower down knife degradation. I recommend using all 4 tweaks.

I ended up installing another tweak pack on there that adds some nice tweaks including the knife degradation rate and better paying jobs. It also made the shift-crouch into a prone which is actually pretty cool and adds a little more flexibility to combat. Corpses also give money which I think is balanced well enough because it fits a bandit playstyle and doesn't really throw the economy off-balance because your cash comes and goes quickly anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You mentioned this earlier, Bullfrog: the Hunter's Kit does have a passive effect in CoM if you have it in your inventory. I forget what the effect is, either more mutant parts or faster looting. The description is correct.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

v1ld posted:

You mentioned this earlier, Bullfrog: the Hunter's Kit does have a passive effect in CoM if you have it in your inventory. I forget what the effect is, either more mutant parts or faster looting. The description is correct.

It's supposed to give you more mutant parts when butchering if you have it in your inventory. When I used it, I didn't notice a difference in the number of parts I received, but maybe I just had some bad luck.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I was reading all of your posts about CoM at work today. Sounds like my cup of tea.
Whilst I was digging I stumbled across Last Day. Anybody had a chance to play this?

The description sounds very promising:
"S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Last Day is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod pack based on Call of Misery, differing considerably from most addons to a point where it cannot quite be classified as an addon itself. It includes not only STCoM, but also several addons previously unknown to the majority of the western S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community"

Powering through the 8GB download whilst watching this guy play it.

e: sitrep, it's pretty good

Jarf fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 11, 2017

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Are there any mod packs out there that combine Call of Chernobyl with a whole lot of good quality gun packs plus other enhancements? Not sure I’m looking for something as difficult as call of misery though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

2017, I barely play games anymore and super rarely FPS but I still play good ol' S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP - I have my modded installation from a few years back on the computer still and my 780Ti hasn't died yet so I load it now and then. I just did the Night Hunt in more challenging conditions than I ever had before. Went for the Chimera with a Saiga, CS suit, tactical helmet, and it was pouring rain. Man it was a tense fight! I got spotted on the way in before I quicksaved, and it was on me, no escape. Couldn't see poo poo. I was strafing the jumps, trying to use trees against it, blasting whenever I could get a bead on it. If it caught me I was toast, which was not theoretical, I died like four times before I got the rhythm of it again - my heart was pumping on the last run and I felt like a matador, haha. This game is still my favorite shooter.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I gave Call of Misery a shot finally

Holy heck why did I ever wait. This is my ideal STALKER game. I've been sucked in completely. Everything feels consequential and super tense. Decided to raid Dark Valley HQ last night, got my assassination target, then ran like hell out of there with 10 cheeki breeki assholes shooting at me, starving and almost dead. Soon I'll have enough rb to invest in a decent rifle.

Play CoM its very good

So it's all the tense gunplay, morose landscape, and beautiful atmosphere with significantly less "I'm trapped in a hell hole called Zaton with no way to leave because no rubles" and no :spergin:"YOU WILL OBSERVE IRON FOREST FOR A MONTH":spergin: dev team?

sounds p good, I'm in

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so with misery being spergy nonsense, what mods are good for pripyat?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

botany posted:

so with misery being spergy nonsense, what mods are good for pripyat?

SGM 1.7 is still pretty good. 2.2 isn't bad either.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

So it's all the tense gunplay, morose landscape, and beautiful atmosphere with significantly less "I'm trapped in a hell hole called Zaton with no way to leave because no rubles" and no :spergin:"YOU WILL OBSERVE IRON FOREST FOR A MONTH":spergin: dev team?

sounds p good, I'm in

Yeah the open-world format really, really works for the brutal gameplay. It's pretty harsh but doesn't feel unfair; you get killed sometimes by random hurty vines or a strangely accurate bandit but that's just STALKER. There is a real good balance between progression and vulnerability, getting better equipment definitely makes you feel more powerful but it's not ridiculous like Call of Chernobyl where you can be the #1 stalker in the zone in like 3 hours. I've probably been playing for about 15 hours and am just now getting the psi-helmet made; still don't have a solid main gun (but did get some decent armor and a mask) so I've been spending lots of time hunting mutants with a lovely shotgun.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone have an installation guide for CoM, as when I attempted to do it before, it wouldn't work for me :(

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone have an installation guide for CoM, as when I attempted to do it before, it wouldn't work for me :(
Download the full repack as it says in the description for the translation (click more detail to see the full description). This is a standalone with the binaries and everything you need to run CoM. Install it anywhere you like, just not under Program Files (like any other game, bad idea to install in that folder). Drop the translation over it. That's it, you're done installing. Play it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 17, 2017

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Cheers, I am giving it a look.

I wanted to play Last Day, but man that game just does not want to work for me. Keeps crashing whenever I try to do a quicksave. Which sucks as I really like what they have done with the game (bad ammo is a thing!), but not being able to save or quicksave without it crashing makes it drat unplayable.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

Cheers, I am giving it a look.

I wanted to play Last Day, but man that game just does not want to work for me. Keeps crashing whenever I try to do a quicksave. Which sucks as I really like what they have done with the game (bad ammo is a thing!), but not being able to save or quicksave without it crashing makes it drat unplayable.

Is there an error message? Try pasting with Control-V into an empty text file right after the next time you crash. The game tries to put useful error info there as it dies.

Last Day is huge, hard, and fun, but I also miss the atmosphere from CoM which really nails that brooding, isolated with death any moment feeling. Last Day feels more like CoC in that there's poo poo going down everywhere - much more hardcore poo poo, but lots of it. That's just Cordon though, so maybe the other levels are more like CoM or DesolationX.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I'll give that a go. I reinstalled it, and had it crash just then. When I went to play it had reverted itself to the Russian language instead of English. No idea what happened. Couldn't even leave the Cordon.

And the first time I gave it a go, I chose Story Mode and Loner, didn't see that it can choose random spots to spawn you in, and ended up in the Monolith area of Pripyat near the Cinema. I was doing not so badly, but the constant crashing made it impossible to play.

Will give CoM a full go-through though. Last Day looks very cool, but it adds even more extra stuff into the game (the amount of different types of ammo is off the chart). I think CoM will be a closer copy to the game I am used to playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

I'll give that a go. I reinstalled it, and had it crash just then. When I went to play it had reverted itself to the Russian language instead of English. No idea what happened. Couldn't even leave the Cordon.

And the first time I gave it a go, I chose Story Mode and Loner, didn't see that it can choose random spots to spawn you in, and ended up in the Monolith area of Pripyat near the Cinema. I was doing not so badly, but the constant crashing made it impossible to play.

Will give CoM a full go-through though. Last Day looks very cool, but it adds even more extra stuff into the game (the amount of different types of ammo is off the chart). I think CoM will be a closer copy to the game I am used to playing.

For Last Day flip the language back to English in the options and it will stick. If you don't, it'll revert to Russian every time you change an option. I agree, there are too many ammo types in Last Day - makes it difficult to see what's what. The main improvement in Last Day for me is the integration with MLR, which brings in a lot more tasks.

Last Day closes level transitions by default. You have to get them through quests or by buying them. I think that was a bad idea in a freeplay mod, so the Last Day Small Tweaks mod restores an option to have all of them be open by default. Having them be opened by an overarching plot in a story driven mod would be fine, but randomly offering them in a freeplay mod doesn't make sense to me.

There's also a Small Tweaks mod for CoM which I recommend using. STCoM is a very good weapon pack, recommended. Though default CoM is very good too.