Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It's Seth MacFarlane's new show on Fox, The Orville. Which doesn't have enough jokes to be a Star Trek parody or the actual thoughtfulness to be a good Star Trek.

It's funny because the episode he's complaining about depicted sexual coercion played for laughs and consent gained through chemically altering people, but the real problem for him is the guy was drugged into being gay.

All you had to say was Seth MacFarlane show and I understood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I honesty have no idea what the video was (and I don't watch Orville) but complaining that there is more than a little bit of gayness on a TV show is just so IoSM to me. I guess he think s the show could make his kids gay?

He's also a conspiracy theorist who follows Alex Jones, believes the Las Vegas shooting was a cover up for...something, Pizzagate, and genuinely believes all of Hollywood is a bunch of pedos. Of curse, he says nothing when when Alabama pedos are up for political positions, but.....

enigmahfc has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Nov 15, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I honesty have no idea what the video was (and I don't watch Orville) but complaining that there is more than a little bit of gayness on a TV show is just so IoSM to me. I guess he think s the show could make his kids gay?

I'm gay, If it's anything like any of Seth's other shows it's probably presented in a way that's extremely uncomfortably sexual and homophobic on purpose so I'm withholding judgement of the lady/guy who posted that. Seth Macfarlane sucks

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm gay, If it's anything like any of Seth's other shows it's probably presented in a way that's extremely uncomfortably sexual and homophobic on purpose so I'm withholding judgement of the lady/guy who posted that. Seth Macfarlane sucks

He's a garbage person (the comment i posted, not Seth McFarlane...well maybe him too).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

He's a garbage person (the comment i posted, not Seth McFarlane...well maybe him too).

No I meant Seth. He's incapable of having a gay character not be sex obsessed and usually a comedically bad person so yeah people who share that opinion enjoy the terrible bullshit he pours out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know anything about this but damned if that'll stop me from commenting.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look, I'm fine with a bit of gay. But this?

This is too much gay. It crossed my gay line.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

zoux posted:

I don't know anything about this but damned if that'll stop me from commenting.

Yeah, this is getting uncomfortably close to home-grown IOSM.

The Orville isn't supposed to be a Star Trek parody or "real Star Trek". It certainly draws inspiration from Trek but it's a different thing (although I won't deny that it suffered from terrible, terrible trailers that tried to position it as "Family Guy meets Star Trek", which it's not at all).

I mean, this

It's funny because the episode he's complaining about depicted sexual coercion played for laughs and consent gained through chemically altering people

just sounds like you didn't watch the episode (or, at the very most, went in assuming the worst and read everything the wrong way)? It's not "played for laughs", it's treated as a horrifying violation once the crew figures out what's going on. And now Aesop is basing his entire judgment of the show on that summary?

This is a bad look, guys.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Nov 15, 2017

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, this is getting uncomfortably close to home-grown IOSM.

The Orville isn't supposed to be a Star Trek parody or "real Star Trek". It certainly draws inspiration from Trek but it's a different thing (although I won't deny that it suffered from terrible, terrible trailers that tried to position it as "Family Guy meets Star Trek", which it's not at all).

I mean, this

just sounds like you didn't watch the episode (or, at the very most, went in assuming the worst and read everything the wrong way)? It's not "played for laughs", it's treated as a horrifying violation once the crew figures out what's going on. And now Aesop is basing his entire judgment of the show on that summary?

This is a bad look, guys.

The show is trying to be Star Trek with dick jokes. It's not "drawing inspiration but doing its own thing", it literally hits every plotting, music, cinematography, and editing beat as close to TNG as possible.

And I did watch the episode, and it wasn't played for horror. You were supposed to laugh at the captain in bed with the guy, cause isn't that funny, he's not gay but he's having sex with a guy. We don't need to bring the argument in from TVIV, but I'll say I disagree entirely with your read of the episode, and leave it at that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It probably got too gay when that guy got aroused by the situation.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The show is trying to be Star Trek with dick jokes. It's not "drawing inspiration but doing its own thing", it literally hits every plotting, music, cinematography, and editing beat as close to TNG as possible.

And I did watch the episode, and it wasn't played for horror. You were supposed to laugh at the captain in bed with the guy, cause isn't that funny, he's not gay but he's having sex with a guy. We don't need to bring the argument in from TVIV, but I'll say I disagree entirely with your read of the episode, and leave it at that.

It's just weird because I usually agree with you on this kind of thing, but I came away with the exact opposite impression. I dunno, maybe I watched it wrong? :shrug: Anyway, the point is, commenting on something based wholly on secondhand accounts and preconceptions is how you become the IOSM.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Look, I didn't mean to start some dumb Orville derail; I just found the phrase 'a little bit of gayness' as a measure of what is okay dumb and funny as hell.
I just want to know what this guy's threshold for gayness is before I ask him on a date so I don't cross the Thin Gay Line. Nobody wants that.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/x24sonic/status/930621650575417344

https://twitter.com/TeamSJW/status/930655048845074432

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think twitter does bans by algorithm which is stupid.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

enigmahfc posted:

Look, I didn't mean to start some dumb Orville derail; I just found the phrase 'a little bit of gayness' as a measure of what is okay dumb and funny as hell.
I just want to know what this guy's threshold for gayness is before I ask him on a date so I don't cross the Thin Gay Line. Nobody wants that.

Well, the average person gets 7 milligays a day just in background gaydiation. Various things increase exposure - a rainbow is 42 milligays, seeing two people of the same sex holding hands is about 150, seeing them making out averages about 325 milligays, and seeing two people of the same sex have sex is a full thousand milligays. Given what happened in the show, if you keep it below 200 milligays or so you should be safe.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

zoux posted:

I think twitter does bans by algorithm which is stupid.

That's what I was wondering. Is this a thing where they automatically suspend accounts based on the number of reports, so racists are baiting people so they and their friends can gang up on reporting the reply?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

That's what I was wondering. Is this a thing where they automatically suspend accounts based on the number of reports, so racists are baiting people so they and their friends can gang up on reporting the reply?

They are absolutely doing that, it's how they got Krang banned for nothing. But I'm not sure if it's number of reports or number plus certain words or what.

Ayyyyy

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Nov 15, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

zoux posted:

They are absolutely doing that, it's how they got Krang banned for nothing. But I'm not sure if it's number of reports or number plus certain words or what.

Wow people are idiots they really need to watch the whole video befo-

oh nevermind

cnut
May 3, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm imagining that your avatar is the OP.

Ha!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

1stGear posted:

Gamergate was started because Zoe Quinn's ex was mad she broke up with him so he spread around the most obvious lie in the world. 4chan and Reddit were so eager to kick girls out of the gamer treehouse they bought it entirely and the ~*rest is history*~.

Quoting this because it's correct.

That's literally all it was, and look how far they have run with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zoux posted:

Getting your account fully suspended probably requires some kind of major report, because I doubt "filling a room with concrete while people are in it" is anywhere on an auto-ban list.

I think the way people get away with it is that a lot of the most deplorable people on Twitter make very large and generalized threats against groups of people rather than any specific person or organization. When those deplorable people are told directly that they should have concrete poured on and around them in particular, that's when Twitter's rules technically start to apply.

e: That being said, there's also people who will directly threaten women, but also seem to get away with it because they say "I want to" rather than "I will" or something like that, so the whole system is busted regardless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if verified account TPUsa will get banned for this

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

zoux posted:

It's verified account vs verified account so odds are infinitely more likely for twitter support to do something about it.

Of course, though, zero times infinity is still zero

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

They deleted and apologized and now their mentions are just people saying "toilet paper USA." Twitter is awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol Baked Alaska got banned from twitter.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
https://twitter.com/CarloScagnelli/status/930908672137531392

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao let's see if they do the rest

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zoux posted:

Lol Baked Alaska got banned from twitter.

This is one of those things where I wish they posted why. Like, I know why, but what was the thing that finally pushed them to actually do the drat thing?

e:
The first result for "Baked Alaska Twitter" returns this guy, who is mad that Baked Alaska is banned, but Keith Olbermann is not banned for calling people "motherfuckers" and "nazis".
https://twitter.com/MikeTokes/status/930914171566284800

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/930922835115233282

Anyway, kicking these dudes off of twitter really fucks up their brand. Milo was destroyed by it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
somebody should call the cops on that hobo imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"I know it's a meme but sir this literally is the Burger King drive thru"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

zoux posted:

Some people still ain't over Vatican II
Some people don't know what the Catholic Church was like in the Middle Ages, heresy everywhere

Or what it was like after the Middle Ages, Protestants everywhere

In fact, Aubrey Huff is Protestant, so he should consider the pope a false prophet anyway

what an idiot

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/930922835115233282

Anyway, kicking these dudes off of twitter really fucks up their brand. Milo was destroyed by it.

I hope it's just random rear end people who have no loving clue who he is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In an article about Mugabe and the situation in Zimbabwe this comment popped up. I am hopping it is a troll

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't have any hope. Africa is constantly compared to countries and rarely do individual countries ever get referenced in any comparisons.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
e: wrong thread. Penance: Maybe ... don't be a part of a hate group?

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Nov 16, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Henchman of Santa posted:

They deleted and apologized and now their mentions are just people saying "toilet paper USA." Twitter is awesome.

https://twitter.com/jesticide/status/930889039304998912

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twitter also changed the rules today, now they will revoke verification check marks for "promoting hate"

They also got Loomer

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

so when's Trump gonna lose his?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Madkal posted:

In an article about Mugabe and the situation in Zimbabwe this comment popped up. I am hopping it is a troll

:psyduck: