Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

Container

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

this is off topic but is that game actually good?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

this is off topic but is that game actually good?

well I took the time to write a massive effort OP for it and have ~300 hours logged in it, so i like it yeah.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm extra hyped for the game now that I've finished staining and assembling my Broken Token organizer.

Just did one coat of a Minwax Chestnut stain.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I'm extra hyped for the game now that I've finished staining and assembling my Broken Token organizer.

Just did one coat of a Minwax Chestnut stain.

Saw that on Reddit and was immediately sad I didn't stain mine before assembly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's gorgeous, but i live in a tiny apartment and have no work space so i shalln't be doing the same for mine. still, super nice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i remember people recommending just leaving the game set up between sessions since setup/takedown is a big pain, but how much does an organizer alleviate that? i ask because there's no way my roommate would be fine with me monopolizing our only table for an indefinite period of time, and honestly i'll probably end up playing at places that aren't my house semi-regularly.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I asked Boardlandia again if they have any new info about my pre-order. They do not. They're hoping to hear from their distributor soon. Do you think Funagain Games are distributor for the retail stores too?

Impressions is handling wholesale. According to them those copies are on ships as of the November 6.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Countblanc posted:

i remember people recommending just leaving the game set up between sessions since setup/takedown is a big pain, but how much does an organizer alleviate that? i ask because there's no way my roommate would be fine with me monopolizing our only table for an indefinite period of time, and honestly i'll probably end up playing at places that aren't my house semi-regularly.

I built a kickin rad game table and its really nice just to leave games set up. Its probably not too bad, you are building a new tile maze and finding all the monsters and monster decks between scenarios anyway. I don't think "leaving it out" saves much time is what I'm trying to say.

Ive got all the tokens in a bead organizer and that works fine for gameplay, haven't tried putting everything away in the box yet...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Countblanc posted:

that's gorgeous, but i live in a tiny apartment and have no work space so i shalln't be doing the same for mine. still, super nice.

I just did it right on the table that it's sitting on that picture. Just put down this thin tarp like thing, but I'm sure newspapers would work too. Bought a $5 can of stain and used some wash cloths. Just pointed a fan at me while doing it and left a window open so I didn't die. Was really easy and only took like 3 hours. I've never stained anything before. Then I just left it all there to dry and flipped the pieces once or twice overnight and the next day.

BrainBot posted:

Impressions is handling wholesale. According to them those copies are on ships as of the November 6.

Sweet that's some concrete info at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Literally stopped me/my SOs campaign of P:L Season 2 because we both like Gloomhaven better. It is the better game by far.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tekopo posted:

Literally stopped me/my SOs campaign of P:L Season 2 because we both like Gloomhaven better. It is the better game by far.
My copy of Gloomhaven just arrived about five minutes ago, and yet I know there's no way my group is going to abandon our Pandemic Season 2 run.

I'm guessing I have a very heavy paperweight/doorstop for the next few months.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bombadilillo posted:

I built a kickin rad game table and its really nice just to leave games set up. Its probably not too bad, you are building a new tile maze and finding all the monsters and monster decks between scenarios anyway. I don't think "leaving it out" saves much time is what I'm trying to say.

Ive got all the tokens in a bead organizer and that works fine for gameplay, haven't tried putting everything away in the box yet...

Getting one of the free monster deck apps means you don't need to look for them either

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Decided to start as Cragheart and have been trying to think of a cool name for him. Just had a friend over to run a random dungeon to teach him the rules and he thought the Cragheart's belt said "KYLE"

Welp.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KYLE and ROCKMAN can be friends.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I got my copy in good condition and spent a happy evening sorting through the contents. What are the opinions about getting the removable sticker sets and the like? The collector in me wants to preserve the game for future playthroughs but the gaming purist wants to play as the designer intended and commit to the legacy aspects. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just want to see how others are approaching this.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I agonized over not getting a set of the removable stickers, in case I ever wanted to play it again, but finally realized that I probably wouldn't anyways. I also read about people commemorating their P:L season 1 boards in shadow boxes and stuff, and that seems like a really neat way to have a keepsake from a long game like this. Also, if I do ever want to replay the game, there are so many digital ways to track your campaign I'm not worried about it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kore_Fero posted:

I got my copy in good condition and spent a happy evening sorting through the contents. What are the opinions about getting the removable sticker sets and the like? The collector in me wants to preserve the game for future playthroughs but the gaming purist wants to play as the designer intended and commit to the legacy aspects. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just want to see how others are approaching this.
I'm not bothering with removable stickers. There's an incredible amount of game in the box, and I can see a full campaign taking several months of regular play.

Even if you finish the campaign, it's not like Pandemic Legacy, where the game components change so much that the game becomes almost unplayable at the end. The only permanent things you do in Gloomhaven are unlock areas (scenarios) on the map board, and upgrade some of the player cards. That's it.

Play the way you want, but personally I'm not worried about altering the game since it's still more or less replayable.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They should have a reset set that gives you a new board and stickers and treasure page.

The only reason I would want to play again would be to go super bad reputation and see the different story. But I don't know now how much of them you see / lose out on based on how you play

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

They should have a reset set that gives you a new board and stickers and treasure page.

The only reason I would want to play again would be to go super bad reputation and see the different story. But I don't know now how much of them you see / lose out on based on how you play

I haven't decided if I'm going all in on legacy or not yet as far as marking up the board, but if I do finish the campaign and want to play anything I was locked out of, I'm not going to feel any shame about going back to do it anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There's some decisions early that feel like it's really branching the game. But I don't know if I took a different path it might just wrap back around and make me back on track.

No clue. It feels branching though so I could see wanting to go back to the start and going again.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Reposting my cheap solution to organizing the game, for those who don't want to dump a cool hundred on fancy lasercut wood:
  • Sort map tiles by letter in an expanding folder. Being able to quickly get the map tiles you need is crucial. This will not fit inside the box, which might be a dealbreaker for some, but I think the benefits of massively speedier setup are more than worth it.
  • Sort all tokens in organizer boxes for easy access. Being able to quickly get the doors, obstacles, traps you need for a scenario and such without digging through a million tiles is very good. Same goes for gameplay tokens like gold, XP, summons and conditions. You could use two separate boxes for these, but just I use a big Plano 3750, which holds every single token in the game with space to spare and still fits inside the Gloomhaven box.
  • As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.
  • Keep item cards in a browsable binder. You could go fancy and buy Ultra Pro gaming binder pages and a binder but that's fairly expensive (Ultra Pro binder pages are sold in 100 packs unless you can find singles at an LGS). Instead of that, I'm using a cheapo business card holder, which works perfectly for this purpose and costs less.
  • Use Gloomy Companion and forget that monster decks physically exist.
  • Keep each character's modifier deck and items inside their class box so you can just hand out ready to play boxes to each player at the beginning of each session. Since you're using Gloomy Companion for monster modifiers, you can use the monster modifier deck for a fifth character, but any more and you'll need to be swapping decks between characters. That would only be an issue when running multiple parties.
  • Everything else: event cards, random dungeon cards, personal quests, battle goals, curses/blessings/armor penalty cards, miniature and class boxes, etc, I keep in the original insert.

It's a very tidy box which makes me quite happy and setup times are under 10 min. Best of all, total cost is under :10bux::10bux:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Has anyone with the solo scenario book gotten their shipment yet? I'm in US / VA, if that makes a difference. About to go out of town for a week for Thanksgiving and right now I figure the box is most likely going to arrive the day after I leave.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Reposting my cheap solution to organizing the game, for those who don't want to dump a cool hundred on fancy lasercut wood:
  • Sort map tiles by letter in an expanding folder. Being able to quickly get the map tiles you need is crucial. This will not fit inside the box, which might be a dealbreaker for some, but I think the benefits of massively speedier setup are more than worth it.
  • Sort all tokens in organizer boxes for easy access. Being able to quickly get the doors, obstacles, traps you need for a scenario and such without digging through a million tiles is very good. Same goes for gameplay tokens like gold, XP, summons and conditions. You could use two separate boxes for these, but just I use a big Plano 3750, which holds every single token in the game with space to spare and still fits inside the Gloomhaven box.
  • As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.
  • Keep item cards in a browsable binder. You could go fancy and buy Ultra Pro gaming binder pages and a binder but that's fairly expensive (Ultra Pro binder pages are sold in 100 packs unless you can find singles at an LGS). Instead of that, I'm using a cheapo business card holder, which works perfectly for this purpose and costs less.
  • Use Gloomy Companion and forget that monster decks physically exist.
  • Keep each character's modifier deck and items inside their class box so you can just hand out ready to play boxes to each player at the beginning of each session. Since you're using Gloomy Companion for monster modifiers, you can use the monster modifier deck for a fifth character, but any more and you'll need to be swapping decks between characters. That would only be an issue when running multiple parties.
  • Everything else: event cards, random dungeon cards, personal quests, battle goals, curses/blessings/armor penalty cards, miniature and class boxes, etc, I keep in the original insert.

It's a very tidy box which makes me quite happy and setup times are under 10 min. Best of all, total cost is under :10bux::10bux:

The tips about the business card holder, and reusing the foam were new to me. This is a great post :10bux:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The board itself is so superfluous that I wish it wasn't even included. It's like cardboard that could have been better used for anything else. That would be my one critic of the otherwise great components.

For card upgrades, I printed the upgrades on paper, cut one out when I need it, and then tape it to the outside the card sleeve. I sleeve the cards since they get handled so much.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Has anyone with the solo scenario book gotten their shipment yet? I'm in US / VA, if that makes a difference. About to go out of town for a week for Thanksgiving and right now I figure the box is most likely going to arrive the day after I leave.

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow, and I'm also on the east coast.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NmareBfly posted:

Yes, I got mine today. The solo scenario book is actually in the game box itself, which surprised me a little.

I was in the first 200 backers, but I'm not sure if that affects shipping order (probably not).

keldon
May 14, 2009

Ojetor posted:

This one was new to me. It's a little harder to fit everything in the second edition, since one of the foam pieces has a huge cutout for the health/XP dials. But I've managed to get everything but the bosses arranged and am done cutting one of them. Works great so far.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oh that great. Do they all fall out when you close the box?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I like a lot of things about this game but I definitely wasn't expecting the RNG to screw us as much as it has so far in so few plays. I'm sure poor strategy has been an issue too, but I really don't know what else I could have done.

We've lost 4 straight times now on just our 2nd scenario , the one with the bandit commander, as a Cragheart and Mindthief. Our third loss we didn't even make it out of the first room due to the archers laying traps on the first turn and getting lucky attack draws. Between that and then losing once because the mindthief got one shot with a crit, it's been more frustrating than enjoyable. The 4th loss was extra annoying since we drew a curse null on at least 4 (possibly 5) attacks, 3 on the commander himself. Had that not happened we had a good shot at winning.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

I had a dungeon as Scoundrel last night where I drew the built in Null card every other draw until the final 3 turns. After buying blesses. I get Scoundrel's hyper thin resolution deck makes this more likely, but it was still absurd.

keldon
May 14, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I like a lot of things about this game but I definitely wasn't expecting the RNG to screw us as much as it has so far in so few plays. I'm sure poor strategy has been an issue too, but I really don't know what else I could have done.
Are you aware of the rule that you can lose a card from your hand (or two from discard pile) to cancel a source of damage? Dying in the first room of that scenario really shouldn't happen.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

We've lost 4 straight times now on just our 2nd scenario , the one with the bandit commander, as a Cragheart and Mindthief. Our third loss we didn't even make it out of the first room due to the archers laying traps on the first turn and getting lucky attack draws. Between that and then losing once because the mindthief got one shot with a crit, it's been more frustrating than enjoyable. The 4th loss was extra annoying since we drew a curse null on at least 4 (possibly 5) attacks, 3 on the commander himself. Had that not happened we had a good shot at winning.

This sounds like you've missed a rule or something. You know that you can negate all damage from any one source by losing a card from your hand (or two from discard) right?

edit: beaten.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My shipment got delayed at the last minute. :negative: I'd literally been counting down the days like a child waiting for his birthday.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah you missed a rule. Your 'real' health is your cards going into the lost pile. Your health spinner just prevents you from losing cards.

Last night my daughter bought the iron helmet to protect against x2s. She got hit with 2 of them. Used her 6 attack blast on a boss on her last go before exhaustion and drew her own x2 to and we cheered. Praise the Temple of the Great Oak.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's wild how useful that iron helmet is. any character that gears up to tank tends to have it for at least a little while. too bad it has to compete with the goggles for AoE classes. The goggles are just too useful for (mild strategy spoiler) guaranteeing an entire round's worth of hits

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Impermanent posted:

it's wild how useful that iron helmet is. any character that gears up to tank tends to have it for at least a little while. too bad it has to compete with the goggles for AoE classes. The goggles are just too useful for (mild strategy spoiler) guaranteeing an entire round's worth of hits

The Iron Helmet is pretty great, while playing the Sun Class it was a good starting item. I lucked into a different head item that heals me 1 each time I kill something though, and it's amazing at keeping me constantly topped off.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Yeah Goggles on Cragheart is awesome. Too awesome to replace.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

The Iron Helmet is pretty great, while playing the Sun Class it was a good starting item. I lucked into a different head item that heals me 1 each time I kill something though, and it's amazing at keeping me constantly topped off.

It helps that the sun class’s lowest attack is a 4 and it can have permanent shield 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im working towards the Ubisoft class, no idea if its good or what it even is or anything, but Im drat excited.