Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

corn in the bible posted:

of all the people why did he pick the one who doesn't actually give a poo poo about doctor who

JNT gave more of a poo poo about Doctor Who than basically anyone. Doesn't mean he was great at his job, but he basically killed his own career to try and keep Doctor Who on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I mean he definitely doesn't give a poo poo about DW now because he's been dead for 15 years

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, if JNT hadn't cared about Doctor Who he would have left the show years earlier and let it get canceled.

There were a lot of problems with his era, but the guy loved the show.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

JNT gave more of a poo poo about Doctor Who than basically anyone. Doesn't mean he was great at his job, but he basically killed his own career to try and keep Doctor Who on the air.

isnt that a picture of tom baker?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Happy birthday to the Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I hope he remembers, I heard he might have amnesia!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I hope he remembers, I heard he might have amnesia!

That just means every day is his birthday!

As is the right and proper way of things.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can someone please explain why people still put up with Levine? Surely the BBC could find some other superfan to produce DVD extras no one will watch?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can someone please explain why people still put up with Levine? Surely the BBC could find some other superfan to produce DVD extras no one will watch?

I don't think anyone really DOES put up with him any more. People still ask him about Who occasionally because he was very close to it for a while during one of the most tumultuous times in it's history, but I don't think anyone gives a flying gently caress what he thinks of the current state of the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

He's only two years younger than Peter Capaldi but somehow still looks more like 20 years younger.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's only two years younger than Peter Capaldi but somehow still looks more like 20 years younger.

the story is generally true between any Liverpudlian and Glaswegian

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plavski posted:

the story is generally true between any Liverpudlian and Glaswegian

Years of drinking Buckie will do that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently read that in the event Pierce Brosnan had said no, Paul McGann was the fallback choice for GoldenEye.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently read that in the event Pierce Brosnan had said no, Paul McGann was the fallback choice for GoldenEye.

i heard that it was the same story for taffin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXcgt6l_LcA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does anyone care to share the complete story of "Mugabe has the missing episodes"? I know that he's famously an anglophile hoarder, but is there any evidence for him actually possessing any Who stuff beyond "seems like the kind of thing he'd do"?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

no. it's just a thread in joke

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Does anyone care to share the complete story of "Mugabe has the missing episodes"? I know that he's famously an anglophile hoarder, but is there any evidence for him actually possessing any Who stuff beyond "seems like the kind of thing he'd do"?

It's mostly just that we know that canisters were sent to Zimbabwe in the 60s and the BBC were banned from entering the country in like the 90s or early aughts. They've probably been destroyed or lost or whatever by now, but because there's no way to really know, the joke that Mugabe is personally hording them perpetuates.

e:

Cerv posted:

no. it's just a thread in joke

It's a joke outside of this thread. If you google it, you'll find a few articles out there on the usual "geek media" sites.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CommonShore posted:

Not Mugabe specifically, but Zimbabwe purchased the entire 63 season for broadcast at one point. The BBC hasn't been able to go and check if they still have the tapes because the government has banned them from entering the country. In all likelihood, no, they don't have any missing episodes. But they've found tapes before under stranger circumstances. :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think anyone really DOES put up with him any more. People still ask him about Who occasionally because he was very close to it for a while during one of the most tumultuous times in it's history, but I don't think anyone gives a flying gently caress what he thinks of the current state of the show.

Because he posts on various Who forums, I can assure there are people who still think he's the greatest.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Because he posts on various Who forums, I can assure there are people who still think he's the greatest.

What for, though? He discovered some lost episodes in the 80s, but what has he done for Doctor Who since that's impressed people?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

What for, though? He discovered some lost episodes in the 80s, but what has he done for Doctor Who since that's impressed people?

Doctor in distress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is where someone should post that gif of him as an obese time lord

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bobkatt013 posted:

Doctor in distress

He also did a :krad: remix of one of my favorite Pet Shop Boys songs. I like it in spite of him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is where someone should post that gif of him as an obese time lord

That's not even him though, it's Stephen O'Donnell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fil5000 posted:

That's not even him though, it's Stephen O'Donnell.

My life is a lie :negative:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The missing ep things, apparently he initially founded the Loose Cannon reconstructions, and his lovely animations of missing stories.

On brighter news, after Scott Handcock tweeted a photo on Naoko Mori and Burn Gorman, he just sent out this:

https://twitter.com/scott_handcock/status/930792499173642241

Maybe we're getting an original Torchwood crew story?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, Keith Barron has died. :(

https://twitter.com/aboutthebbc/status/930772883663618048

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He's in the 4th Doctor story "The Bad Penny" which comes out in May

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It wasn't entirely by choice, he was more-or-less forced to stay in the job("I've been persuaded to stay" became one his catchphrases) because Jonathan Powell (BBC 1 head of drama) thought he was a liability and didn't want him on any other shows. Although thinking about it now, that seems like an odd thing to do. I don't know why Powell didn't such sack him if he was such a problem.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CommonShore posted:

Episodes were definitely sent there, and they don't let anyone with BBC connections in so they haven't been able to check. Also IAN LEVINE says that zimbabwe has them so it must be true

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, Enlightenment is such a great, weird story and he was great as the bizarre, detached-but-curious Eternal.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Davros1 posted:

The missing ep things, apparently he initially founded the Loose Cannon reconstructions, and his lovely animations of missing stories.

Nah, Loose Cannon were founded by Rick Brindell back in 97/98 - Levine did get involved many years later and assisted them by providing his notes from when he watched the episodes diligently in the 60's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, Enlightenment is such a great, weird story and he was great as the bizarre, detached-but-curious Eternal.

“A lord of time. Are there lords in such a small domain?”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

“A lord of time. Are there lords in such a small domain?”

I love that later on he kind of stops, peers at the Doctor and then apologizes because he only just realized the Doctor isn't quite like those weird little human things after all.

Best part of the story for me is still that amazingly creepy scene where the other Eternal appears on the TARDIS viewscreen, obviously able to see through it somehow, staring in fascination at Tegan like a kid looking at an ant farm.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Levine or Mugabe? :v:

Maelstache posted:

It wasn't entirely by choice, he was more-or-less forced to stay in the job("I've been persuaded to stay" became one his catchphrases) because Jonathan Powell (BBC 1 head of drama) thought he was a liability and didn't want him on any other shows. Although thinking about it now, that seems like an odd thing to do. I don't know why Powell didn't such sack him if he was such a problem.

I thought they pretty much told him "You can do something else, but when you step away from Doctor Who we aren't replacing you and we're ending the show." I heard during the McCoy era he was ready to hand the reigns over to Cartmel or some other young new blood but that wasn't an option which is why he stuck around til (past) the end (IIRC the Doctor Who production office remained open for some months after the last episode filmed.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 16, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I watched The Planet of Evil* on the train back from Oxford today (yesterday) and by god it's one of the 2/5est stories that ever got 2/5. It's not dreadful - the jungle set is famously excellent, some of the stuff in the first couple of episodes is pretty good, it famously terrified small children - but by god it is easy to dislike. The Doctor changes from soon-to-be-executed captive to leader of the situation essentially across an episode break; once we get away from the jungle, all the sets are rubbish, as is the acting; the plotting is at best contrived; and the science of the episode - as written, rather than bringing in outside knowledge - is horribly confused and contradictory.

*The Noun of Bad Thing is a good old traditional Doctor Who serial title format, going back to The Cave of Skulls and The Forest of Fear, the second and third episodes transmitted, but seasons 13 and 14 really get some use out of it, with this, The Hand of Fear, The Seeds of Doom, The Face of Evil and The Robots of Death all appearing in the twelve serials between them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that the Jekyll & Hyde one?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that the Jekyll & Hyde one?

Jekyll & Hyde mixed with The Forbidden Planet, and written by someone who clearly is interested in reading pop science articles about antimatter but remains completely clueless

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fact of the day: aside from the period during the ITV strike (Destiny of the Daleks, City of Death) the two highest viewed episodes in the history of the programme are The Ark in Space episode 2 (13.6m) and The Web Planet episode 1 (13.5m).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Fact of the day: aside from the period during the ITV strike (Destiny of the Daleks, City of Death) the two highest viewed episodes in the history of the programme are The Ark in Space episode 2 (13.6m) and The Web Planet episode 1 (13.5m).

So like what, 1/4 of the entire country was watching? :stare:

• Locked thread