Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edit: whoa new page, let's start with some dash cam wackiness instead of auspol chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XESQluXrc

Meskhenet posted:

I forget which paper, but effectively they came right out and said that this was a mistake.

We never should have let it happen as it UNDERMINES representative DEMOCRACY.

That's right a major newspaper does not believe australians should ever be able to vote on anything themselves.

Pretty amazing in this day and age.

The Age had an article about that: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...114-gzlc6j.html

They're right, the entire process was nothing but a stalling tactic by anti-SSM opponents and the results were pretty much exactly the same as the polls that were conducted months ago so absolutely nothing new was learned. If it had been a referendum that would have been one thing but the survey result is non-binding so 'no' campaigners like Lyle Shelton have vowed to keep fighting against SSM and several politicians have said today that they won't change how they're going to vote even though their opinion clashes with the survey results of their electorate. It was a pointless waste of $122 million.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
"Now that our attempts to actively prevent gay marrige have been crushed by popular vote, it's time to work together protecting christian values "

Some dumb oval office from a newspaper posted:

The postal survey on same-sex marriage has been a success. It has delivered a clear result and given every eligible voter the chance to have their say.

The clear Yes vote provides clear guidance for the Parliament and a positive aid to Malcolm Turnbull.

Both Yes and No campaigners now have to realise that neither a winner-takes-all or a dog-in-the-manger attitude will be acceptable and that compromise on the legislation will be necessary to honour the result of the survey and the spirit in which it was conducted.

The extremely high response rate — 79.5 per cent — and the victory for Yes in every State and Territory as well as in an overwhelming majority of electorates gives an undeniable mandate to the Parliament to pass same-sex marriage legislation.

The Prime Minister has a mandate to keep his promise to pass same-sex marriage before Christmas.

The postal survey has been a political success for Turnbull, Peter Dutton and Mathias Cormann and belies all the opposition to it from Labor and the Yes campaigners because of the turnout and the endorsement of the results from the Yes campaign.

No campaigners such as Tony Abbott has said he will support the bill according tot he result of the plebiscite but part of the success of the survey was that it gave No voters a chance to have their say.

In the end, while the clear majority of 7 million voted for same-sex marriage, a substantial majority — 4.8 million — voted against.

No voters had the opportunity to have their say and they did.

The political challenge for Turnbull and the leaders of the Yes campaign is now not to ignore the real concerns raised during the campaign and supported by almost 5 million Australians and to ensure other rights are not diminished by extending a new right.

A partisan “winner takes all” attitude will go against the spirit of the debate, the depth of public interest and engagement on issues of conscience.

Labor should not use the legislation as a partisan battering ram to divide the Coalition and undermine Turnbull’s leadership.

The challenge for Turnbull is to satisfy his obligations and meet his promises for religious freedom which he said he regarded more importantly than same-sex marriage.

Before the result Labor frontbencher Richard Marles said the legislation should ensure there are protections and he believed there will be amendments.

The No campaigners need to recognise the same, as Scott Morrison did this morning.

Go climb a wall of greasy dicks Dennis

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Spacman posted:

"Now that our attempts to actively prevent gay marrige have been crushed by popular vote, it's time to work together protecting christian values "

So australia has a Majority and a substantial Majority... rather than a majority and a minority

holy gently caress these people...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Meskhenet posted:

So australia has a Majority and a substantial Majority... rather than a majority and a minority

holy gently caress these people...

It must have been a typo, the article said "In the end, while the clear majority of 7 million voted for same-sex marriage, a substantial minority — 4.8 million — voted against" when I checked a few minutes ago

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It must have been a typo, the article said "In the end, while the clear majority of 7 million voted for same-sex marriage, a substantial minority — 4.8 million — voted against" when I checked a few minutes ago

Well hopefully, at least that isnt too bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spacman posted:

Dennis doesn't understand democracy

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Gentlemen...this is democracy, manifest.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheRagamuffin posted:

:smug:”Actually, it’s a republic.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheRagamuffin posted:

:golfclap:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: whoa new page, let's start with some dash cam wackiness instead of auspol chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XESQluXrc

The Age had an article about that: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...114-gzlc6j.html

They're right, the entire process was nothing but a stalling tactic by anti-SSM opponents and the results were pretty much exactly the same as the polls that were conducted months ago so absolutely nothing new was learned. If it had been a referendum that would have been one thing but the survey result is non-binding so 'no' campaigners like Lyle Shelton have vowed to keep fighting against SSM and several politicians have said today that they won't change how they're going to vote even though their opinion clashes with the survey results of their electorate. It was a pointless waste of $122 million.

Of course there's that smug oval office Andrew Bolt saying 'oh voting yes on ssm is proof that Australia isn't bigoted' when he's one of the biggest liberal shills in the media and parrots the both sides argument.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Please refer to him by his correct title, convicted racist Andrew Bolt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Convicted racist and professional paedophile apologist Andrew bolt :eng101:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

crowtribe posted:

Please refer to him by his correct title, convicted racist Andrew Bolt.

ayyy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Convicted racist and professional paedophile apologist Andrew bolt :eng101:

ayyyyyyy

oh that reminds me, how's old mate Latho taking this?

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/930523637886500864

....nevermind

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

TheRagamuffin posted:

Criminally :discourse:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

MissEchelon posted:

ayyy

ayyyyyyy

oh that reminds me, how's old mate Latho taking this?

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/930523637886500864

....nevermind

how the gently caress did this guy become the leader of the labor party

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I know people make fun of the US for the major left-wing party being centrist rather than truly left-wing by global standards, but how in the hell did you end up with the Liberals being the conservatives?

Our other major party is the Labour Party, an outgrowth of the labour-union movement.

More 'voluntary postal survey' schaden: in Australia it is compulsory to vote in elections, but this only applies to you if you've registered to vote and had yourself put on the electoral roll at some point in your life.
A lot of young people registered to vote so they could participate in the survey. Like, enrolment was happening on a larger scale than normally happens in a federal election year.
Next election, all these people will be required to vote. And it is unlikely that they will be voting for the Liberal party.
tl:dr: The LNP did a very effective get-out-the-vote campaign for Labour.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Slugnoid posted:

how the gently caress did this guy become the leader of the labor party

Because holy poo poo the Labor party has been a dumpster fire for the last 20 years.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
labor's okay if you're working class scum like me. our victorian labor party's way better than the federal one though

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Our other major party is the Labour Party, an outgrowth of the labour-union movement.

More 'voluntary postal survey' schaden: in Australia it is compulsory to vote in elections, but this only applies to you if you've registered to vote and had yourself put on the electoral roll at some point in your life.
A lot of young people registered to vote so they could participate in the survey. Like, enrolment was happening on a larger scale than normally happens in a federal election year.
Next election, all these people will be required to vote. And it is unlikely that they will be voting for the Liberal party.
tl:dr: The LNP did a very effective get-out-the-vote campaign for Labour.

Dude its spelt 'Labor', 'cos an American basically started it.

E: Yeah, though, pure strain schaden. My neighbour's 26 year old son finally enrolled to vote because of this and he won't be voting conservative in the federal and state election he has to vote in or be fined now.

Spacman has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Nov 15, 2017

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

djssniper posted:

Not really a gamer, and certainly would not pay for DLC unless it was significant, only good game I've played on mobile is Micro Machines, great fun, and you could build your cars quite well over time without having to pay for coins/diamonds whatever, game seems to have come to end of life as people fill up the cars, now servers/service is faulty as hell. Oh yeah that's EA too

woah cool

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spacman posted:

"The political challenge for Turnbull and the leaders of the Yes campaign is now not to ignore the real concerns raised during the campaign and supported by almost 5 million Australians and to ensure other rights are not diminished by extending a new right."

Yeah, Dennis, tell me what loving rights Australians are going to have diminished by letting people who aren't them get married to people who aren't them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/OwXR4Nv.gifv

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where is this? I like their trains.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, Dennis, tell me what loving rights Australians are going to have diminished by letting people who aren't them get married to people who aren't them.

According to talkback radio this morning? Something about the gays going into christian schools and teaching kids animal sodomy and making them read books about two daddies.

To be fair, the hosts were talking the piss out of the really angry bigots though.

Spacman has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Nov 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when the Supreme Court in America said bans on gay marriage were unconstitutional and Orson Scott Card immediately started warning that Obama would use "gangs of urban youths" (somehow) to force people to get gay married (or something like that)?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes I remember when the Crips came to my house and made me marry my roommate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when the Supreme Court in America said bans on gay marriage were unconstitutional and Orson Scott Card immediately started warning that Obama would use "gangs of urban youths" (somehow) to force people to get gay married (or something like that)?

A warning written with one hand, no doubt

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They won't go anywhere, but it's starting:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/930813960244350976

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hahaha, this is a big fuckin deal. I wouldn't be surprised if some notable Republicans come out in favor, a lot of them want him gone too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm more worried about Republicans cockblocking it, which would inadvertently set precedent that everything Trump has done is actually okay for presidents to do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Impeaching Clinton majorly backfired on the GOP, his approval rating actually went up during the process. This is more about reps trying to grab headlines than anything productive. This has exactly a zero chance of going anywhere at this point in the presidency. They should wait until the Mueller investigation is concluded.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Wheat Loaf posted:

LOL I don't remember that but when it happened and people around me would complain I would just respond "You know it's not mandatory right?."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Roy Moore is a pedophile.

Actually the correct term is child-rapist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Serious question: would President Pence be an improvement on President Trump or would he be worse? (I acknowledge he would still be pretty bad - I know he's more of a doctrinaire right-wing ideologue than Trump.)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wheat Loaf posted:

Serious question: would President Pence be an improvement on President Trump or would he be worse? (I acknowledge he would still be pretty bad.)

In so far he would be stable, and not likely to go off the hook and nuke someone because they called him a name.

He'd be Romney 2.0, only a lot more religious.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha, this is a big fuckin deal. I wouldn't be surprised if some notable Republicans come out in favor, a lot of them want him gone too.

Wanting him gone on a personal level is different from catching the backlash from their mouth-breathing constituents over it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Serious question: would President Pence be an improvement on President Trump or would he be worse? (I acknowledge he would still be pretty bad - I know he's more of a doctrinaire right-wing ideologue than Trump.)

Well he seems to be destroying the Republican party so provided we get out of this without a nuclear war Trump is likely better. Pence probably knows how to pull the levers of power better than Trump, I mean he'd have to, so it's more likely he'd be successful in getting legislation through Congress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/930847044662648835

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you’re not a rich white christian, Pence doesn’t care if you live or die. He also had a habit of answering the door for room service at hotels in nothing but his underwear. So it would probably be about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

I mean I guess being attracted to children seems less egregious when you're still a prepubescent male yourself