Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but where is the best place to farm coins? That 9999 coin outfit ain't gonna grind itself.

I got like somewhere between 1500-2000 coins during all the times I died on the final stage. If you get all the way through there's a massive stack of coins at the end, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I resumed clearing out Sand Kingdom last night, I did the Bullet Bill maze, which took a few attempts to wire my brain as to how to control the bloody thing. I find it easier when you can move the camera also, but because it's kind of fixed for a lot of it, you can't.

I did the trace walking first-time, which may have been helped by seeing some videos of it (someone posted a "gamers react to trace walking" YT compilation earlier in the thread). I got the stuff in the Jaxi Temple also, which was...yeah. I'm glad that's done, particularly the musical notes one.

I have about 17 regular moons left to find, then still have the post-game ones to unlock (I haven't broken the moon rock yet so that I can just focus on my clean-up first).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mario feels so gimped without cappy now, I wonder how they're going to move forward because any game that doesn't include cappy is just going to feel crap to play.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Somewhere FLUDD cries, alone and forgotten.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TaurusTorus posted:

Good

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Peach's face is hosed in this Mario game. She's got way too much Botox. In almost every cutscene she's miserable but she has no other facial expression other than aloof at best. She can't even frown. Some brand manager at Nintendo really locked that poo poo down.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but where is the best place to farm coins? That 9999 coin outfit ain't gonna grind itself.

In Bowser's Castle there is a place you can get to via beanstalk. Go there, grab the rocket flowers and don't press any buttons except jump and he will run straight through grabbing every coin. The only annoying thing is that you have to grab the seed and regrow the beanstalk every time, but you get a ton of coins quickly.

Edit: I was slightly mistaken, you have to grab more flowers along the way. And if you are able to butt stomp through the rings right at the end, you get 180 per run. There is also a heart in a crate next to where you land back in the level, plus a second crate, so that's 6 more coins. Easy but boring.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 15, 2017

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Post Credits: Is there an easier way to jump higher as Yoshi? I'm trying to do the sinking lava things in Dark Side pipe, but the only way I can hit the jumps is by a side somersault, and there's not really a lot of room to do them with the spike logs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Lick the wall like you would a Switch cartridge.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Waggle while you glide into the updrafts for massive lift and you can soar right to the painting.

:eyepop: kinda wanna see if i can do it the proper way first but lol.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I knew I was going to like this game but holy hell it is just super super good.

I just finished up New Donk City and the song that plays while you do the retro stuff is just so charming and it made me smile like a goofy idiot.

This game is incredible.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cage-free egghead posted:

I knew I was going to like this game but holy hell it is just super super good.

I just finished up New Donk City and the song that plays while you do the retro stuff is just so charming and it made me smile like a goofy idiot.

This game is incredible.
Super late in the game you can get an 8-bit version of it and then if you go back and redo the festival (which you can do at any point by talking to a NPC in City Hall) there's an option to use the 8-bit music for the entire thing :kimchi:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Super late in the game you can get an 8-bit version of it and then if you go back and redo the festival (which you can do at any point by talking to a NPC in City Hall) there's an option to use the 8-bit music for the entire thing :kimchi:

What, where is the 8 bit version

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

What, where is the 8 bit version
I don't remember exactly but I kinda feel like it's just after you beat the game and unlock the music list.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You might need to talk to one of the headphone toads, I think.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

irlZaphod posted:

I resumed clearing out Sand Kingdom last night, I did the Bullet Bill maze, which took a few attempts to wire my brain as to how to control the bloody thing. I find it easier when you can move the camera also, but because it's kind of fixed for a lot of it, you can't.

I did the trace walking first-time, which may have been helped by seeing some videos of it (someone posted a "gamers react to trace walking" YT compilation earlier in the thread). I got the stuff in the Jaxi Temple also, which was...yeah. I'm glad that's done, particularly the musical notes one.

I have about 17 regular moons left to find, then still have the post-game ones to unlock (I haven't broken the moon rock yet so that I can just focus on my clean-up first).

Best way to steer Bullet Bill is to keep your left joystick at the 12 o’clock position and steer from there, always making sure your joystick is pushed forward.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Holy hell, the scarecrow door on Dark Side with the P Switches has to be the hardest moon in the game, right?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You basically have to be perfect on the second section with anything that shaves time, and even then you'll be ending with a long jump. I eventually ended up doubling back if I bumped or didn't triple jump correctly since I knew I wasn't gonna make it.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 15, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Capsaicin posted:

Holy hell, the scarecrow door on Dark Side with the P Switches has to be the hardest moon in the game, right?

It's pretty amazing how difficult it is for sure. I can't decide if it or the Darker Side challenge are harder.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Motto posted:

You basically have to be perfect on the second section with anything that shaves time, and even then you'll be ending with a long jump. I eventually ended up doubling back if I bumped or didn't triple jump correctly since I knew I wasn't gonna make it.

Yeah, I just got both moons. Starting with a long jump and triple jumping to skip sections was crucial. One mistake would end up costing you pretty much immediately.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Capsaicin posted:

I didn't find that one nearly as hard as the one with the piranha plants. That one required such precise jumping to avoid the goop

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dr Cheeto posted:

You might need to talk to one of the headphone toads, I think.

yeah you gotta complete all 5 headphone toad requests and he gives you it on the last one.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stupidly easy for the first 250 moons. Overly hard as soon as you get to the end game, well the boss rush anyway. Could manage it eventually, probably not going to bother with it or getting 500 moons. Am I missing anything cool? I'm not especially happy with the camera or the way mario controls this iteration. Really wish they would stop with the motion control poo poo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

hahah no.

you mean the new donk city rehash with the vanishing floors? just roll straight ahead on the first part (the tank shell wont hit you) and then on the second part you are gonna want to learn how to do quad jumps (real easy to get the hang of), long jump into a triple jump, your speed is much faster and you'll make it no problem. 3rd section is easy peasy for both moons.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I got over 500 moons but I can't be assed to beat Darker Side. I 100%'d 3D World and beat Champion's Road but I'm not feeling it with this one. It was a fun ride though. I think my main complaint is that a lot of the moons felt repetitive across worlds or overly simple to get, but I suppose that's the price you pay for having like 800 of them instead of 120.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah you gotta complete all 5 headphone toad requests and he gives you it on the last one.
This is where it is! It's not locked behind a specific one you just have to do all five and whichever you do last gives it to you, I think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vikar Jerome posted:

hahah no.

you mean the new donk city rehash with the vanishing floors? just roll straight ahead on the first part (the tank shell wont hit you) and then on the second part you are gonna want to learn how to do quad jumps (real easy to get the hang of), long jump into a triple jump, your speed is much faster and you'll make it no problem. 3rd section is easy peasy for both moons.
What do you mean by "quad jumps"? Is that jump, hat, dive, hat, dive?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure the post explains itself. Long jump into triple jump.

I think that's what they're calling a quad.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

no, long jump first which gives you the speed boost to follow into a faster triple jump.

for that section, the first part i roll from the first p switch to the second and then long jump from the roll and time it right so i dont hit the first step and then follow that up straight away with a triple jump. you dont have to do the roll tho for it to work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusTorus posted:

Until the new Smash Bros. comes out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Remember that Fludd has a goddamn death scene at the end of Sunshine for no real reason.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My non gamer sister beat darker side you weaklings

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TaurusTorus posted:

I mean, the starfish cloaca capture is pretty fludd-like, no?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

You asked her for help.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The cap's voice really annoys me.

Evil Eagle posted:

:chanpop:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

plape tickler posted:

The cap's voice really annoys me.

caAAaapeeEEy

At least it doesn't talk much. Pretty much only when you get a spin-on-a-thing star really.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cappy is cute and good and my pal and his voice is fine. :colbert:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I actually like seeing glowing points so I can spin Cappy on it and hear the little "CApeY" exclamation. I don't think I remember any other dialogue from him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

He says "that's a mean" and "it's a bowser" very cutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Imho you have to be pretty hosed up to not feel joy deep down at "CAAAppy!!!"

• Locked thread