Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't help but see the Manchin debate as premature in the absence of an actual potential "leftier" candidate who could win the west Virginia general election.

Give me that candidate and sure I'll support him but right now it looks like a 3/4ths Republican is the best we can do there and we need to focus on other more pushable seats.

There's a lady running against him in the primary, I dunno where she stands on the issues but she's positioning herself as the outsider progressive relative to Manchin so, there already is someone running against him.

Whether or not you think that she can't win is another matter, but I see no specific reason why she should be disqualified off-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Mm yes, well you'd better tell Senator Ed Market (D-MA) it will be news to him.
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/851512692267405313

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I don't see what the point of pretending all this nuance matters when it's much easier to group them into "Supported the invasion of Iraq" (showing their true level of integrity), and "Did not support the invasion of Iraq".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

There's a lady running against him in the primary, I dunno where she stands on the issues but she's positioning herself as the outsider progressive relative to Manchin so, there already is someone running against him.

Whether or not you think that she can't win is another matter, but I see no specific reason why she should be disqualified off-hand.

Ok, I'm on my phone and can't look her up, bit it seems like we should focus the debate on her in particular vs Manchin and not hypothetical generalized candidates.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ok, I'm on my phone and can't look her up, bit it seems like we should focus the debate on her in particular vs Manchin and not hypothetical generalized candidates.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/joe-manchin-bernie-sanders-primary-challenge-west-virginia-senate-2018/525918/

quote:

Joe Manchin, the Senate’s most conservative and Donald Trump-friendly Democrat, is facing a primary challenger. Paula Swearengin, a coal miner’s daughter and environmental activist, plans to run for the senator’s West Virginia seat in the 2018 Democratic primary election.

Manchin is now facing opponents from the left and the right. West Virginia Republican Representative Evan Jenkins announced on Monday that he will run against the senator in 2018. Manchin has supported most of president’s cabinet picks, and voted in line with the president’s agenda more often than not—and more than any other Senate Democrat. That could help him win re-election in a state that Trump won by double digits in November, but it has also made Manchin a top target of the activist left at a time when progressives are calling for all-out opposition to the president.

Edit: actually, honestly, this is the most important part of the article.

quote:

One video uploaded to YouTube shows Swearengin asking, “Who’s going to clean up the mess when coal’s gone?” and saying: “Fracking is not acceptable either.” Her website states: “The question we face today is: What are we going to do when the coal is gone? And make no mistake it’s going. No one has given us an answer that doesn’t require the sacrifice of our health and our environment. I believe our future is in building a 21st-century, clean economy.”

The coal industry is indeed under threat from market forces, the most prominent of which is the cheap cost of natural gas. The coal industry’s decline, which Republicans have blamed on government regulations and a Democrat-waged “war on coal,” has lead to questions over what can be done to fill the economic void it has left behind.

That said, Democratic primary voters in the state won’t necessarily be receptive to a message that it’s time to move on from the industry. In 2016, polling in West Virginia’s second congressional district found that 65 percent of Democratic primary voters believed that “supporting coal jobs” should be a major priority, according to Plante, the West Virginia Democratic strategist.

Plante added that polling in 2014 in the state’s first congressional district indicated that a majority of Democratic voters preferred a candidate who would “promote West Virginia’s coal industry, and stand up to the EPA [Environmental Protection Agency]’ to protect coal jobs,” over a candidate who would move the state away from “its reliance on coal and build a new future by creating a more diversified energy economy.”

“Coal is a cultural touchstone here,” Regan said. “To say that you are against it is seen as taking a stand against West Virginia itself. It’s very much a part of the identity of the state.” He added: “I think a message of bringing back jobs, and bringing healthcare to everyone could be a winning progressive message in this state. But you can’t be hostile to coal. That just paints you into a corner.”

She's probably doomed tbh, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't try.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 15, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Reminder: The original conversation wasn't even about Manchin, it was about Ogmius getting pissing people were criticizing the dozen Dems who are trying to get rid of bank regulations and pointing out this isn't even good from a bad-dem point of view since most people aren't big bank fans. It became about Manchin in particular because that's who he focused on (and not any of the other names being brought up) as part of his attempt to defend "no we have to support him because only he can win there" but we really don't need to talk about his primary opinion - this is all getting increasingly irrelevant to the original topic.

I mean we can talk about her anyway if you want, but it's probably good to understand that we'd be starting a new effectively unrelated conversation at that point, and it shouldn't be surprising she hadn't come up yet.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Ze Pollack posted:

sure, the state's been solid blue for generations, but now that a republican-in-all-but-name is their senator, it would be ~difficult~ to get a proper dem out of them. better to just be content with Lieberman 2.0, eh?

Keith Judd got 41% of the vote in the Democratic Primary in 2012. It’s disingenuous to suggest that West Virginia is just like any other state, when there is a sizable chunk of the population who decided they would rather have a “Dark Priest” who was currently serving time than a black man. 1 in 5 West Virginians who voted in the Democratic Primary in 2008 cites race as an important factor in deciding their vote. The states voters have a strong divergent opinions on a number of issues, including most prominently on energy and the environment.

That’s not to say that the Democrats couldn’t run a candidate with a leftward economic message, but there are hurdles to creating a message for West Virginia Democrats and bringing them into the wider coalition.

Also, a PPP poll taken in May of 2016 found that Sanders would lose in a head-to-head with Trump 35% to 56%.

Lightning Knight posted:

Run on a platform of increased road access, direct economic stimulus, hiring more workers for public works projects and the building of new infrastructure like clean energy, responsible conservation of nature reserves while preserving access to hunting for individuals, and higher-quality healthcare and better wages, subsidized childcare, etc. Focus on things that they will like, and try and sidestep questions about LGBT people or racial minorities as best you can.

It's not ideal and it's not what I'd wish for if I had a magic lamp but I bet you could win on that.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. But there’s the tension because in order to do that, you have to either sidestep the issue of coal or have a really frank discussion about it, and neither of those things come easy.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Just running everywhere isn't as sexy as some "data-driven" mostrosity of a model that's supposed to deliver a super-efficient victory that lets you feel smart by association, and boy howdy does a certain type of liberal love the thought of that.

Also the second approach needs a lot of expensive consultants, and grifters gotta grift.

I agree that there are a lot of grifters in the campaign apparatus, and that people don’t always use voter data in effective way and don’t stop to analyze what they’re doing, but questioning the whole concept of voter data is obscuritanism.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

I agree that there are a lot of grifters in the campaign apparatus, and that people don’t always use voter data in effective way and don’t stop to analyze what they’re doing, but questioning the whole concept of voter data is obscuritanism.

They didn't question the whole concept of voter data.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

Run on a platform of increased road access, direct economic stimulus, hiring more workers for public works projects and the building of new infrastructure like clean energy, responsible conservation of nature reserves while preserving access to hunting for individuals, and higher-quality healthcare and better wages, subsidized childcare, etc. Focus on things that they will like, and try and sidestep questions about LGBT people or racial minorities as best you can.

It's not ideal and it's not what I'd wish for if I had a magic lamp but I bet you could win on that.

That sounds like Hillary Clinton to me. That’s like every reasonable Democrat centrist message from the past 20 years.

Sadly, I think you lose everyone at “clean energy.”

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Democrazy posted:

Keith Judd got 41% of the vote in the Democratic Primary in 2012. It’s disingenuous to suggest that West Virginia is just like any other state, when there is a sizable chunk of the population who decided they would rather have a “Dark Priest” who was currently serving time than a black man. 1 in 5 West Virginians who voted in the Democratic Primary in 2008 cites race as an important factor in deciding their vote. The states voters have a strong divergent opinions on a number of issues, including most prominently on energy and the environment.

There's a big difference between saying a "good dem" in our eyes can't win in W. Virginia, and saying a Dem that is better for the Dems than Manchin can't win.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

You say a year after the Dems ran a campaign based on ignoring actual data in favour of what their computer model told them was real.

WampaLord posted:

Also this.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

fond memories of Cefte's takedown of OwlOfCreamCheese, lost to the mists of forums lore; the moment someone questions the High Priests, thinks instead of merely marvels at the wonders they have chiseled from the Science Mines, they are to be denounced as blasphemers against science itself.

data has value. the utter loving morons who decided "if the model and what we're seeing on the ground do not coincide, ignore what they are seeing on the ground: we like the model better" was a good way to run a campaign? that by passing information through a set of Robby Mook's assumptions writ in sacred Code, and passed through the holy Stepwise Selection Algorithm, the assumptions ceased to be something pulled from a grifter's rear end and became Science?

they have negative value. and should be treated as such.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Some of yall must be posting from Earth Prime because I haven't seen a mainstream Democrat in this dimension support jobs programs or public works projects in my lifetime. I've only read about it in books.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

There's a big difference between saying a "good dem" in our eyes can't win in W. Virginia, and saying a Dem that is better for the Dems than Manchin can't win.

Hey, I agree. I criticized Manchin a few pages ago. But there are challenges, and if you’re going to run a campaign you need to recognize that instead of handwaving them.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You say a year after the Dems ran a campaign based on ignoring actual data in favour of what their computer model told them was real.

Should the Democratic Party be modeling voter behaviors and preferences?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

Not unless they find some people who aren't too dumb to understand what the models actually mean first.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

Running a data-driven system to model voter preferences and target key races is good, not trying to force the issue in places that aren't favorable to you or otherwise try and mold voter preferences is not good. "poo poo this seat is +7 R" should be cause to try and shorten the gap, not give up.

The problem of course is that they don't have infinite resources, but if they used their resources more efficiently than they have been they could probably pick up more seats than the last 8 years.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brony Car posted:

That sounds like Hillary Clinton to me. That’s like every reasonable Democrat centrist message from the past 20 years.

Sadly, I think you lose everyone at “clean energy.”

West Virginia voters, we discovered, don't really want to hear about clean energy. They don't want to hear that coal is the past, that it's dirty, smelly, hazardous to your health and to the environment, and just generally not business-friendly in an age where more and more businesses are trying to be so.

All they want is to go back to the time when a single coal miner's job could support a family, and Trump fed them exactly the right cocktail of happy lies.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

The Kingfish posted:

Ya, I want there to be a 100 vote requirement for President Trump's judicial nominees.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

West Virginia voters, we discovered, don't really want to hear about clean energy. They don't want to hear that coal is the past, that it's dirty, smelly, hazardous to your health and to the environment, and just generally not business-friendly in an age where more and more businesses are trying to be so.

All they want is to go back to the time when a single coal miner's job could support a family, and Trump fed them exactly the right cocktail of happy lies.

if only there was some way for a left-wing candidate to propose a way for a single coal miner's job to support a family

oh well. we've tried tax incentives for entrepreneurs and we're all out of ideas

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/joe-manchin-bernie-sanders-primary-challenge-west-virginia-senate-2018/525918/

Edit: actually, honestly, this is the most important part of the article.

She's probably doomed tbh, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't try.

she'd be less doomed if the dems weren't putting their thumbs on the scale for manchin. she's great, and we should support her.

manchin is straight out terrible in many ways. he's anti-choice, his daughter is making it impossible for poor kids with allergies to survive, and he's helping pass deregulation against payday lenders and other financial fuckery. he loving confirmed sessions too, and he's been one of the most vehemently anti-lgbtq dems in the senate. all the people whining about "what about at risk groups?!" should be lining up to guillotine the fucker right now, but instead a bunch of them are saying "buuuuut we think he might win so we're going to choose the greater evil thanks..."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

she'd be less doomed if the dems weren't putting their thumbs on the scale for manchin. she's great, and we should support her.

Right, but what I meant was even if she successfully primaried Manchin, she's probably still doomed. :(

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Alter Ego posted:

i think u missed the part where they don't necessarily want to be coal miners, but actually want to be able to support their families.

dems' capitalism 2.0 is not an answer to this, and manchin is as far from an answer to this as anyone else. give them a loving jobs program!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Right, but what I meant was even if she successfully primaried Manchin, she's probably still doomed. :(

i doubt it

we're electing further left dems than the establishment in loving oklahoma. stop giving in to this "oh too left!" narrative. it's bullshit used to keep blue dogs alive

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not unless they find some people who aren't too dumb to understand what the models actually mean first.

This is the kind of arrogant anti-intellectualism I expect to find more in GOP circles.

You can say that political data is imperfect science, that there’s not enough focus on proper application, but saying that the people involved are “dumb” is preposterous.

Lightning Knight posted:

Running a data-driven system to model voter preferences and target key races is good, not trying to force the issue in places that aren't favorable to you or otherwise try and mold voter preferences is not good. "poo poo this seat is +7 R" should be cause to try and shorten the gap, not give up.

The problem of course is that they don't have infinite resources, but if they used their resources more efficiently than they have been they could probably pick up more seats than the last 8 years.

True. It’s a tough problem, because of course there’s an inherent desire for all the money to flow into the easiest pickups or incumbents, but little money for the tougher long shot spadework that’s necessary to grow the party.

It’s also so problem of candidate recruitment. Most people don’t want to run in districts where they think they’ll get beat. There’s also a dearth of people with political experience because we’ve been losing so much on the state and local level in some of these places. It starts locally with rebuilding some of these state parties.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

In this scenario, don't the Democrats get to tell them to gently caress off and remove it?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

This is the kind of arrogant anti-intellectualism I expect to find more in GOP circles.

You can say that political data is imperfect science, that there’s not enough focus on proper application, but saying that the people involved are “dumb” is preposterous.

It is not preposterous, but we can call them feckless idiots or fools if it makes you happier

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Refactoring capitalism is actually a pretty good way to describe the current Dem platform.

It is not the answer but it's a useful analogy.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

You've got it completely backwards. People aren't locking horns and voting D regardless if whatever policy comes out of it. People are horrified about R policy, mobilizing, and voting D.
Sure, some are. I don't have a problem with that.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're a male and white, kilroy
Oh are you going to inform me I'm pro-life again as well? :fuckoff:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

No, I don't ASSUME that, I'm FEARFUL of it. It makes me NERVOUS. If I was sure, I'd be campaigning for Joe Manchin, and I'm not. I wanna see how this plays out.

Hell, if there's gonna be a year to run a more-left candidate in WV it's blue-wave 2018.

I think you might have an easier time understanding the attitude of the people you're arguing with if you understand that they're also fearful of things not changing for the better.

The problem is that many of you guys seem to have a complacency towards the status quo (likely because most of you are doing relatively well under it) that causes your primary concern to be "things getting worse." But for people who are already doing badly - which is a lot of people - the prospect of merely fending off Republicans for another 10-20 years is very scary.

Just to be clear, as I've said a zillion times in other posts, I still think people have an obligation to vote for the Democratic candidate in any remotely contested general election, but people absolutely do not have an obligation to not even criticize Democratic politicians merely because it might marginally increase the chance a Republican might win. We've already seen from the 2016 primary how criticism from the left can have a very real impact on the policies of Democratic candidates, and silencing such criticism on the basis of "there's a non-zero chance it might improve the Republican's chances" is insane and counterproductive in the long-term. It's especially hosed up when you're trying to silence criticism of literally one of the most conservative Democratic Senators; if you won't even allow that, you may as well just say it's never acceptable to criticize sitting/incumbent Democratic politicians.

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not sure I understand what you want them to do.

I'm playing the PC game "Dishonored 2" and basically what needs to happen is for Chelsea Clinton to don a face mask and travel around the country murdering (or incapacitating) all the powerful bad people.

It will end in an emotional scene where she confronts her parents.

Ogmius815 posted:

Have you considered that the WV dems should run candidates that seem like they can win in WV rather than trying to communicate abstract messages to god only knows who?

You could use this same logic to argue against literally any proposal to primary a sitting Democratic candidate. Like, it's basically impossible to disprove the claim that "the incumbent is literally the optimal politician for running in their region" without already running and winning a primary to start with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 15, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

If you think people are clamoring for the status quo after a self-labeled socialist beat an incumbent republican, you've got your head lodged firmly up your rear end

Wherever you look, people are clamoring for change. Out of work miners want to work. Black people want to stop being murdered by police. Immigrants want a non-hellish path to citizenship. And you guys are arguing for candidates who call for more payday loans, bodycams on cops, and banning sanctuary cities as a proper response to these people

It's utterly idiotic

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Faustian Bargain posted:

In this scenario, don't the Democrats get to tell them to gently caress off and remove it?

In his described scenario the Democrats have already captured the Senate and the Presidency. The Dems would be changing Senate rules to make it more difficult for them to seat liberal justices—potentially forcing themselves to compromise with the GOP.

On the other hand, Republicans will be free to change the rules back and seat Judge Pirro as soon as they retake power.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 15, 2017

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

In his described scenario the Democrats have already captured the Senate and the Presidency. The Dems would be changing Senate rules to make it more difficult for them to seat liberal justices—potentially forcing themselves to compromise with the GOP.

On the other hand, Republicans will be free to change the rules back and seat Judge Pirro as soon as they retake power.

It's a deliberate tactic to avoid appointing anyone who might accidentally do something good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Barbe Rouge posted:

It's a deliberate tactic to avoid appointing anyone who might accidentally do something good.

This is probably a reach on assumptions of bad faith, Bill Clinton appointed RBG after all. I honestly think that guy is just a moron, who thinks that ~the process~ matters to people who aren't actually in Congress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WV politics is very clubby when it comes to state leadership roles. A lot of it is who you know, who you have contacts with, and coal / natural resource companies exerting pressure where they can. If you're looking to replace Manchin you need to do so with someone who has been in that state's political circles for a while.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/LOLGOP/status/930865070678167556

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

What that guy said is dumb, and I really doubt that the democrats would actually do that. If you recall, they're the ones who broke the filibuster for lower court nominees in the first place.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Iron Twinkie posted:

Some of yall must be posting from Earth Prime because I haven't seen a mainstream Democrat in this dimension support jobs programs or public works projects in my lifetime. I've only read about it in books.

See p. 7 of the 2016 Democrat Party Platform about infrastructure investment, for example.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/papers_pdf/117717.pdf

Or 2008 (you can Ctrl+F for “rebuilding infrastructure”):

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=78283

It was even mentioned in the 1988 platform:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29609

But if you’re thinking about bringing back the WPA from the New Deal era, then I guess you’re right, but it’s not like the Democrats haven’t pushed the idea of job creation through physical infrastructure investment in recent years.

In recent years, Obama got derailed in pushing it forward after losing Congress and the fallout from Obamacare. I felt highway revitalization got mentioned a lot, but it was DOA due to GOP resistance.

Maybe the Dems need to say it more often and in a different way or something like that? “New roads. New bridges.” Maybe “infrastructure” is too abstract of a word.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People need to start screaming about this and not just assume the GOP will gently caress it all up by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

People need to start screaming about this and not just assume the GOP will gently caress it all up by themselves.

I posted a story earlier, but Democratic leadership is worried that no one is heeding their calls to action in the same way we did for healthcare.

They're hoping the Republicans are stupid enough to tie the tax cuts to healthcare cuts so they can bring out the angry masses again. :/

• Locked thread