Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why would Strppenwolf need to rely on cgi a lot? Isn't he mostly just a big ol dude?
Because superhero movies have this weird thing where they need to make really good British Actors covered up in ridiculous amounts of CGI or practical makeup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of all the good and bad reactions so far the two most prevailing thoughts I’ve seen in most of them are it’s fun when the group is together and the CGI is noticeably subpar if not outright bad at times. I’m wondering if that means worse than Doomsday and Ares or on the same level. Because those were definitely the weak links in the previous two films.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’d say it’s worse than Ares and Doomsday. It’s just kinda an uninspired design and he is nowhere near as strong as those two so you don’t get the spectacle of a big brawl where everything around is collateral

Not actual movie spoilers but the movie isn’t out so:he’s loving terrible and the main reason the movie isn’t great. He is by far the worst villain in ANY superhero movie. He looks like poo poo, his story is poo poo, his scenes are poo poo, everything about him is straight up poo poo. Absolutely nothing about him make you go “oh this guy is a threat”.

I genuinely can’t imagine anyone liking him at all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So...should I skip JL and watch Thor again?

I haven't being very excited about DC movies, lately. Well, since BvS. And I really, really don't feel like watching Justice League.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just go see it, it's a movie. See every movie.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mhh. I'm gonna need more money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I will see Justice League on Friday and tell you if it's any good.

Though I suppose the answer to "should I see Thor again instead?" would depend on how much you liked Thor. I liked it a hell of a lot but didn't really feel the need to see it again, especially since I'm still trying to work up the will to see Blade Runner 2049 again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only read one review so far but it mentioned that Wonder Woman and Aquaman were highlights of the movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you're going to spend money on a movie, at least make it one you haven't seen yet. Go see Coco or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't see comedies in theater twice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Except MacGruber

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy five times in the theater, but I remember that being a really crappy movie season for me so I might've just been desperate for something to watch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This is why MoviePass exists and it’s pretty great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is weird man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5Wv9UGkN8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d say it’s worse than Ares and Doomsday. It’s just kinda an uninspired design and he is nowhere near as strong as those two so you don’t get the spectacle of a big brawl where everything around is collateral

Not actual movie spoilers but the movie isn’t out so:he’s loving terrible and the main reason the movie isn’t great. He is by far the worst villain in ANY superhero movie. He looks like poo poo, his story is poo poo, his scenes are poo poo, everything about him is straight up poo poo. Absolutely nothing about him make you go “oh this guy is a threat”.

I genuinely can’t imagine anyone liking him at all.

I do not believe you on the second point. There’s no way that Steppenwolf can be worse than Enchantress. I refuse to believe that on the basis it’s virtually impossible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I do not believe you on the second point. There’s no way that Steppenwolf can be worse than Enchantress. I refuse to believe that on the basis it’s virtually impossible.

I actually forgot about her when I wrote that. With that in mind, in the context of the movie,yeah he’s actually worse than Enchantress. At best, he’s just as bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually forgot about her when I wrote that. With that in mind, yeah he’s actually worse than Enchantress.

Is it because his inappropriate sexy dancing isn’t as good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Is it because his inappropriate sexy dancing isn’t as good?

There is exactly zero crotch focused hip thrusts so yeah it’s bad. But really, Steppenwolf is just loving terrible and the more I think about it the worse he gets.

Actually gently caress it, don’t read this if you care about the movie. Basic rundown of the movie from Steppen’s point of view: Steppenwolf is introduced when he boom tubes into the Amazon island in order to take the mother box they have. He didn’t choose to go there. Apparently he was exiled forever ago and then goes “oh I guess I have a 2nd chance at this? Ok” So in what’s possibly the only time he’s actually effective he goes through the Amazon defenses and gets the mother box. He leaves before the main Amazon army gets to him (why the gently caress weren’t they there to begin with?)

Around here we get the one flashback about who Steppenwolf is. We show him arriving at Earth and trying to do his mother box unity poo poo but amazons, atlanteans, men, lanterns, and actual loving gods show up and beat his rear end. So his background flashback is him losing and being forced to retreat. Not a good start.

Mother box 2 is in Atlantis. Mera and no more than 4 Atlanteans are there to defend it. Keep in mind not 20-30 minutes ago we had like 50 amazons defend theirs. So needless to say he clowns Mera and Arthur and takes the 2nd box. Good loving job, guys.

Ok now he’s looking for the third box and this is the first time WW, Bats and now Flash/Cyborg get to fight him. He “wins” only in the sense that he can get away because the team is uncoordinated and not really trying to do much here outside of rescuing hostages. Diana is the only one that actually fights Stepp and she holds her own quite well. He has strength over her but she struggled more against Ares. So yeah, again I’m not seeing the big deal of why this guy is a threat so far.

Mother Box 3 is where I just go “what the gently caress”. Ok so ACTUAL BIG SPOILERS HERE: the league uses the third box to revive Supes. Yeah, the synopsis posted a while ago is 100% true. Supes does not take this well and there’s a small fight trying to calm him down. While this is happening, Steppenwolf boom tubes in, grabs the box, and leaves. That’s it. You don’t even see him. You just see the tube in the background and everyone going “oh”.

Bra-loving-vo.

So we get to the end and so far Steppenwolf hasn’t really done anything worth mentioning so the league comes in to where he is and fight. I would say this is the point where you finally see a struggle but Superman shows up and absolutely clowns Steppenwolf. Like he genuinely doesn’t break a loving sweat. He actually LEAVES mid fight to go rescue civilians then comes back to clown on Steppenwolf some more. It’s loving hilarious just how below Superman he was. So the good guys win. Easily. Crisis averted. World saved. No one comes close to dying or getting hurt outside of cyborg and he can repair himself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There is exactly zero crotch focused hip thrusts so yeah it’s bad. But really, Steppenwolf is just loving terrible and the more I think about it the worse he gets.

Actually gently caress it, don’t read this if you care about the movie. Basic rundown of the movie from Steppen’s point of view: Steppenwolf is introduced when he boom tubes into the Amazon island in order to take the mother box they have. He didn’t choose to go there. Apparently he was exiled forever ago and then goes “oh I guess I have a 2nd chance at this? Ok” So in what’s possibly the only time he’s actually effective he goes through the Amazon defenses and gets the mother box. He leaves before the main Amazon army gets to him (why the gently caress weren’t they there to begin with?)

Around here we get the one flashback about who Steppenwolf is. We show him arriving at Earth and trying to do his mother box unity poo poo but amazons, atlanteans, men, lanterns, and actual loving gods show up and beat his rear end. So his background flashback is him losing and being forced to retreat. Not a good start.

Mother box 2 is in Atlantis. Mera and no more than 4 Atlanteans are there to defend it. Keep in mind not 20-30 minutes ago we had like 50 amazons defend theirs. So needless to say he clowns Mera and Arthur and takes the 2nd box. Good loving job, guys.

Ok now he’s looking for the third box and this is the first time WW, Bats and now Flash/Cyborg get to fight him. He “wins” only in the sense that he can get away because the team is uncoordinated and not really trying to do much here outside of rescuing hostages. Diana is the only one that actually fights Stepp and she holds her own quite well. He has strength over her but she struggled more against Ares. So yeah, again I’m not seeing the big deal of why this guy is a threat so far.

Mother Box 3 is where I just go “what the gently caress”. Ok so ACTUAL BIG SPOILERS HERE: the league uses the third box to revive Supes. Yeah, the synopsis posted a while ago is 100% true. Supes does not take this well and there’s a small fight trying to calm him down. While this is happening, Steppenwolf boom tubes in, grabs the box, and leaves. That’s it. You don’t even see him. You just see the tube in the background and everyone going “oh”.

Bra-loving-vo.

So we get to the end and so far Steppenwolf hasn’t really done anything worth mentioning so the league comes in to where he is and fight. I would say this is the point where you finally see a struggle but Superman shows up and absolutely clowns Steppenwolf. Like he genuinely doesn’t break a loving sweat. He actually LEAVES mid fight to go rescue civilians then comes back to clown on Steppenwolf some more. It’s loving hilarious just how below Superman he was. So the good guys win. Easily. Crisis averted. World saved. No one comes close to dying or getting hurt outside of cyborg and he can repair himself.

where did Steppenwolf stash the mother boxes? Like, did he have a base or a hideout or was it that ship or whatever from BvS. Big pockets?I know nothing about the character and wonder why JL just didn't go with Darkseid.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Large Justice League spoilers.

They spend way more time focusing on Superman and coming up and executing a plan to revive him at the cost of building up Steppenwolf as an actual villain. In the end Steppenwolf is a checkmark villain (box 1? check. box 2? check. box 3? off screen but check! Time for the large end movie battle) because they're more focused on doing things that should've been in other movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, well, looks like Justice League goes in the “wait ‘til it shows up on streaming” list. That’s a shame.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Deadpool 2 has a teaser out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5Wv9UGkN8

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

where did Steppenwolf stash the mother boxes? Like, did he have a base or a hideout or was it that ship or whatever from BvS. Big pockets?I know nothing about the character and wonder why JL just didn't go with Darkseid.

They're stored in a chernobyl styled section of eastern europe that's sparsely populated. It's populated just enough to create "human life danger" in the final battle but not populated enough that there's ever a risk of real human loss.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol'd a couple times watching it, that's real good advertising

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you free during the mutant burning down inside a building, you can see that it seems that she's burning down an event that seems to be held by the purifiers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Arist posted:

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy five times in the theater, but I remember that being a really crappy movie season for me so I might've just been desperate for something to watch.

I saw LoTR like....15 times. I win. :woop:

Gonna wait a little more to see if it's worth my money or not. I mean, BvS was a terrible experience I don't wish to repeat, WW was good, although Ares CGI muscled body was the funniest poo poo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The DGAF attitude of someone who knows that they've got a cooler costume than everyone else in all the previous X-flicks combined.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the only movie I've seen more than once in the cinema was Shrek, which I saw twice in two days. Then again, I only go to the cinema maybe three times a year at most nowadays.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the only movie I've done repeats for is the 3 times I saw The Avengers. That was an experience.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's nice to know I called how dumb of an idea it was to structure the villain of a loving Justice League movie around loving Steppenwolf like two years ago.

Also lol https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/930828095078174720?s=17

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It's nice to know I called how dumb of an idea it was to structure the villain of a loving Justice League movie around loving Steppenwolf like two years ago.

Also lol https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/930828095078174720?s=17

It would have made my day if the film then cut to Steppenwolf wearing glasses and one of those gaudy professor outfits teaching an ethics class, before glancing at his watch, dismissing the lesson for the day and going back to his evil plan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

It would have made my day if the film then cut to Steppenwolf wearing glasses and one of those gaudy professor outfits teaching an ethics economics class, before glancing at his watch, dismissing the lesson for the day and going back to his evil plan.

Turns out Batman was right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It would have made my day if the film then cut to Steppenwolf wearing glasses and one of those gaudy professor outfits teaching an ethics class, before glancing at his watch, dismissing the lesson for the day and going back to his evil plan.

This would have improved the film. Especially if the class was parademons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering how uninteresting the trailers were for JL I’m not surprised that the plot summary was just as dull

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arist posted:

I was expecting most of the reviews to be lukewarm but man, the people who didn't like it really don't like it, and the people who did enjoy it only barely did.

This seems like it's MOS all over again. I was in the really don't like it camp for that one, so I'm not hopeful.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I am not going to watch justuc league. Holy hell that rundown.

Edit: I will see Deadpool 2

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me what the piss jar thing is all about? And don't just say "Lex Luthor has jars of piss." I wanna know what the context is beyond that. The Where and Why of it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Can someone tell me what the piss jar thing is all about? And don't just say "Lex Luthor has jars of piss." I wanna know what the context is beyond that. The Where and Why of it all.

In BvS a senator character against Lex uses an idiom about calling a jar of piss sweet tea.

Lex has an actual jar of piss placed on that senator's desk during a public hearing before a suicide bomber he placed blows the capitol building up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

In BvS a senator character against Lex uses an idiom about calling a jar of piss sweet tea.

Lex has an actual jar of piss placed on that senator's desk during a public hearing before a suicide bomber he placed blows the capitol building up.

:stare:

OK now give me a real answer please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

:stare:

OK now give me a real answer please.

That is the real answer. It is how she realizes what is about to happen before it does, though too late to stop it.

• Locked thread