Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Hamfu no why :smith:

Well Twitch, here we go don't let me down man. Someone's gotta take down Hakuho.

noone is going to take down Hakuho

So trading for Kisenosato puts me at

Y/O Kisenosato
S/K Terunofuji
M1-5 Tamawashi
M6-10 Shodai
M11+ Aminishiki

So is the single trade the only one we get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'd like to drop Aoiyama out for Aminishiki, and get on the oldman bandwagon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

nyerf posted:

You get more than one trade, I think additional trades incur a small penalty, or maybe that went away when we figured out the waiver wire, I'm not sure.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

You get more than one trade, I think additional trades incur a small penalty, or maybe that went away when we figured out the waiver wire, I'm not sure.

Everyone's trades all happen at the deadline, so you can swap them all out if you want. I think everyone's first trade should happen at once (as dictated by the waiver wire), and then any 2nd (and then 3rd) trades in another loop. Generally yeah the waiver wire is to meant to replace the penalty system.

I don't think any of us are hardcore enough to abuse the system, but I do see a little how having ZERO penalties can be a problem. The biggest fantasy geeks would constantly be swapping out the M1-15 slots in particular based on who they were up against. It'd be fun from a waiver war perspective, but a nightmare for running a fantasy league manually. It may be harder to track and a little more based on the honor system in order to not add more load on Kenning, but an easy way to avoid that is that you can never trade for someone again (that basho) once you drop them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
After watching some Japanese coverage of this, I can’t help but think HMF especially hosed up in assaulting a wrestler of Takanohana’s stable, a dude who has been known to be a prideful rear end in a top hat. Like the video they showed of Harumafuji getting out of a car to see a van with Takanohana in it driving in front of him and waving Isegahama and HMF off was sad as hell

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ratmosphere posted:

Here's an Japan Times article (in English) from about an hour ago on the Harumafuji situation. He doesn't seem to be denying the accusations.

"The grand champion told reporters that he apologizes to Takanoiwa's stable master, the stable's supporters, and the sumo association for causing problems."

Basically apologizing to everyone but the dude whose skull he fractured :q:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Day 3 standings:

code:
Diplomat	10
Elissimpark	9
Fryhtaning	7
Kenning		10
Martytoof	9
nyerf		8
Platypus Farm	10
Pvt. Public	10
ratmosphere	10
Rigel		9
sivad		8
Tsaedje		5
Here's a little review on trading:

Trades have to be submitted by 11 pm PST to count for the next day's matches, since that's when Makuuchi bouts start in Japan. Your first trade is free, your second trade is -.5 points, and every subsequent trade is -1 point. The order of priority for trading will be determined by the wire we discussed earlier. You can only trade one rikishi per day, and all trading stops at the beginning of middle Sunday's bouts.

Tsaedje posted:

Well I got screwed by timezones there, ah well. Can I sub in Goeido for Harumafuji please?

Registered.

nyerf posted:

Y/O Kisenosato
S/K Terunofuji
M1-5 Tamawashi
M6-10 Shodai
M11+ Aminishiki

Registered. Also see above.

sivad posted:

I'd like to drop Aoiyama out for Aminishiki, and get on the oldman bandwagon.

You got it.

Fryhtaning posted:

Everyone's trades all happen at the deadline, so you can swap them all out if you want. I think everyone's first trade should happen at once (as dictated by the waiver wire), and then any 2nd (and then 3rd) trades in another loop. Generally yeah the waiver wire is to meant to replace the penalty system.

I don't think any of us are hardcore enough to abuse the system, but I do see a little how having ZERO penalties can be a problem. The biggest fantasy geeks would constantly be swapping out the M1-15 slots in particular based on who they were up against. It'd be fun from a waiver war perspective, but a nightmare for running a fantasy league manually. It may be harder to track and a little more based on the honor system in order to not add more load on Kenning, but an easy way to avoid that is that you can never trade for someone again (that basho) once you drop them.

Once this basho is done we can see how it worked, and then I'll write up a more coherent ruleset based on the experience. Currently there are 3 penalties for trading, if you include the waiver wire as a penalty, although for my purposes the wire is more to facilitate trading than as a strict penalty.

1) Direct point deductions for every trade after the first one.
2) Exposure to make-koshi point deductions for every new wrestler that you trade for.
3) Waiver wire.

I think those are enough to penalize excessive trading. I want trading to be a part of the system, but because of injury risk, and also because sometimes you pick a guy who was looking strong and then he's just not there during the basho.

The current list of unavailable rikishi is:

Hakuho
Kisenosato
Onosho
Takakeisho
Tamawashi
Shodai

The current wire is

1-7: ???
8: Fryhtaning
9: Elissimpark
10: Tsaedje
11: nyerf
12: sivad

Also: Harumafuji :(

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, that small penalty is probably fair. Rather than a penalty, I like to think of it as a "nailed it :smug:" bonus for people who never had to trade more than once. (or heck, maybe give a +0.5 bonus to people who dont even use their free trade? Too late now, maybe in January)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu deftly escaping doom. A lesser man would have stepped out in defeat, but not our hero.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Aoiyama for Okinoumi

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Martytoof posted:

Takayasu deftly escaping doom. A lesser man would have stepped out in defeat, but not our hero.

"I don't even have to fight, I just lean backwards, frown, and my opponents stumble over their diapers" -- Takayasu-sama, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dr.Radical posted:

After watching some Japanese coverage of this, I can’t help but think HMF especially hosed up in assaulting a wrestler of Takanohana’s stable, a dude who has been known to be a prideful rear end in a top hat. Like the video they showed of Harumafuji getting out of a car to see a van with Takanohana in it driving in front of him and waving Isegahama and HMF off was sad as hell

drat, I must've missed the footage on NHK.

They said Takanohana had lodged a police report in Tottori - I'm not sure H-Fu's career is going to survive actual charges.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Diplomat posted:

Aoiyama for Okinoumi

Got it.

Hakuho
Kisenosato
Onosho
Takakeisho
Tamawashi
Shodai

The current wire is

1-6: ???
7: Fryhtaning
8: Elissimpark
9: Tsaedje
10: nyerf
11: sivad
12: Diplomat

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Aminishiki yusho?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Jesus, 7 out of 20 so far. Somehow trading an injured rikishi cost another 2 wins too.

Still no definitive news on Harumafuji. If you want the latest info, I recommend heading over to sumoforum because there's just too much to cover all at once. The timing of the whole thing is the most bizarre thing. I'm no tinfoil hat-wearer, but apparently Takanoiwa looked completely uninjured for the next few days after the incident and didn't even go to the hospital for several days. I know brain damage type symptoms can often take a while to manifest, but those due to a skull fracture?

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/37174-harumafuji-scandal/

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
A glorious day of sumo. Highlight was TAKAYASU completely falling asleep and then waking up and remembering he was in a sumo bout and immediately just winning

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 4 standings:

code:
Diplomat	12
Elissimpark	11
Fryhtaning	7
Kenning		15
Martytoof	14
nyerf		10
Platypus Farm	16
Pvt. Public	13
ratmosphere	14
Rigel		12
sivad		11
Tsaedje		7
Currently the only person holding a kyujo wrestler is Pvt. Public, who has Aoiyama.

Kanthulhu posted:

Aminishiki yusho?

I want to believe.

Pretty good sumo today. Weird to see Goeido in a slap fight, but he was cool about it. Yoshikaze did okay, but his balance looked a bit shaky, especially when he was moving forward. Hakuho is still Hakuho. What a monster of a man. Can't wait to see him against Takayasu and Goeido.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Kisenosato is doing really poorly. I wonder if it's his injury or the mental pressure that's getting to him.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kise has been mediocre since his promotion. I mean yea, he's been hurt for a lot of it but he looks fairly healthy right now but is just getting bullied in there.

I think the goat is firing on all cylinders right now and I will be shocked if anyone can do anything about it. Maybe Goeido? He is looking pretty consistent lately.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

Kise has been mediocre since his promotion. I mean yea, he's been hurt for a lot of it but he looks fairly healthy right now but is just getting bullied in there.

I think the goat is firing on all cylinders right now and I will be shocked if anyone can do anything about it. Maybe Goeido? He is looking pretty consistent lately.

Hopefully hakuho doesn't go out drinking and impale someone on a rebar before the tournament's over with.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Hopefully hakuho doesn't go out drinking and impale someone on a rebar before the tournament's over with.

He doesn't seem like the type to go get blown up in the middle of murdering a basho so I think we are in the clear. Dude probably only eats steaks and protein bars and meditates to metal version of Enka music or some poo poo

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Kenning posted:

Currently the only person holding a kyujo wrestler is Pvt. Public, who has Aoiyama.

Shiiiiiiiiit. I thought I had Aminishiki! I forgot who I picked already. :/

I would like to make that trade, please.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nice to see Ichinojo back to being an immovable meat slab. I don't know what it is about his demeanour but he comes across as a little bit... slow to me.

Looking very much Hakuho vs Takayasu for the yusho at this point, but stranger things have happened.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Nice to see Ichinojo back to being an immovable meat slab. I don't know what it is about his demeanour but he comes across as a little bit... slow to me.

Looking very much Hakuho vs Takayasu for the yusho at this point, but stranger things have happened.

If it comes down to it, Takayasu does have a kinboshi against hakuho, so he HAS beaten The Goddamn Terminator before.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Maybe Goeido? He is looking pretty consistent lately.

Don't worry he has several days left to crushingly disappoint you in.

Tsaedje posted:

At first I thought you meant physically - according to the English language commentators he has chronic back pain that hampers him somewhat.

If you mean mentally, he does appear more stoic than most rikishi. It could be cultural - most of the Mongolian wrestlers are from Ulanbaator, whilst Ichinojo is from an OG horse-and-eagle Mongolian background.

Platypus Farm posted:

If it comes down to it, Takayasu does have a kinboshi against hakuho, so he HAS beaten The Goddamn Terminator before.

I remember that one - it was more Hakuho losing than Takayasu winning, to be honest.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Elissimpark posted:

At first I thought you meant physically - according to the English language commentators he has chronic back pain that hampers him somewhat.

If you mean mentally, he does appear more stoic than most rikishi. It could be cultural - most of the Mongolian wrestlers are from Ulanbaator, whilst Ichinojo is from an OG horse-and-eagle Mongolian background.

Oh I'm definitely just a horrible person judging him as a simple farm boy based on his vacant seeming expression.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the first tournament I watched was the most recent Kisenosato win which makes his crappy showing kind of depressing.

He's no Takayasu, clearly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kisenosato was insanely consistent before he took the spill in March of this year. 27 out of the 35 tournaments before he became a yokozuna he charted double-digit wins. He had 12 jun-yusho. It's just the most unlucky thing imaginable that he wiped out in his first tournament as a yokozuna so badly. And one thing that people don't mention when talking about his injury is that in the May tournament he got creamed right in his busted shoulder by I think Kotoshogiku when he was thrown from the dohyo.

I really wish he could wrestle at full strength, since he's this big, impressive guy, but I dunno if he'll ever get back there. I hope with Harumafuji, Terunofuji, and probably Kakuryu likely out of the picture very soon that one of the up-and-comers can make a yokozuna push.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

Jesus, 7 out of 20 so far. Somehow trading an injured rikishi cost another 2 wins too.

Still no definitive news on Harumafuji. If you want the latest info, I recommend heading over to sumoforum because there's just too much to cover all at once. The timing of the whole thing is the most bizarre thing. I'm no tinfoil hat-wearer, but apparently Takanoiwa looked completely uninjured for the next few days after the incident and didn't even go to the hospital for several days. I know brain damage type symptoms can often take a while to manifest, but those due to a skull fracture?

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/37174-harumafuji-scandal/

After reading that it seems pretty clear there’s some weird poo poo going on with the HMF incident. What and to what extent remains to be seen.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm standing pat for now. I'm happy with my Maegashira wrestlers. The only one I might consider swapping out is the Geek, but to me he looks like he's doing well against superior competition, so I still think he'll beat the rank and file. If he starts to lose to those guys too though, then I'll have to make a move. I don't think I can improve on kisenosato at this point.

edit: wait hold on, Takayasu is available? Well ok then, I will trade Kisenosato for Takayasu

Rigel fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 16, 2017

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Dr.Radical posted:

After reading that it seems pretty clear there’s some weird poo poo going on with the HMF incident. What and to what extent remains to be seen.

Jason was saying that there's basically no way he doesn't see harumafuji retiring. If nothing else, because he was on his way out anyway, and he would hate to bring any disgrace to sumo as a sport, or to have it portrayed in a negative light. That's all well and good, especially if he actually assaulted the gently caress out of the guy -- according to the paper jason read, he busted his head open with the bottle, and then either grabbed him or pinned him down and just beat the poo poo out of him with fists -- but if not, and this IS all a screw job, then it really really sucks.

re: Kise - you can see on his face how disappointed he is. After the day 4 kinboshi, he just looked so dejected. And yeah, I knew it would be bad when kotoshogiku demolished him.

I'm really excited to see where takayasu can go. He looks strong, he's not falling apart, and he's only 27. I'm well aware that I'm a little -too- into takayasu, but he seems to have solid fundamentals and power, and if he can manage to stay healthy, then He Who Leads With His Belly could be really impressive with some more experience.

Also I really love that he cinches down that mawashi so tight that he's gotta have like 400 PSI on it from belly strain.

I'd really like to see Chiyomaru make a move, but I don't know if he will. He seems comfortably placed in the mid maegashira, but he's just so goddamn adorable I'd love to see him really get down to business someday.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Holy gently caress, these tv recreations of The Incident, I can't breathe:

Harumafuji: 'The gently caress ya doin, looking at yer phone when I'm talkin' to ya' (His Attitude Is Bad)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving Japanese TV is bonkers.

Terunofuji has withdrawn from the basho. Currently he's being held by nyerf, Martytoof, and Elissimpark.

Pvt. Public posted:

Shiiiiiiiiit. I thought I had Aminishiki! I forgot who I picked already. :/

I would like to make that trade, please.

Got it.

Rigel posted:

edit: wait hold on, Takayasu is available? Well ok then, I will trade Kisenosato for Takayasu

Registered.

Hakuho
Takayasu
Onosho
Takakeisho
Tamawashi
Shodai

The current wire is

1-4: ???
5: Fryhtaning
6: Elissimpark
7: Tsaedje
8: nyerf
9: sivad
10: Diplomat
11: Pvt. Public
12: Rigel

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I'll trade for Mitakeumi or failing that Yoshikaze. Would this count for a point deduction?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

With any luck Tamawashi will spontaneously combust and Chiyoshoma will decide to go back to Mongolia to open a chanko restaurant or something just to underline my crappy choices so far.

In the meantime, I'll say Kotoshogiku, then Mita-kun for Terunofuji.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yoshikaze (pref) or Kotoshogiku for Terunofuji for me please.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

I'd really like to see Chiyomaru make a move, but I don't know if he will. He seems comfortably placed in the mid maegashira, but he's just so goddamn adorable I'd love to see him really get down to business someday.

I could be wrong, but I remember his oyakata (none other than the great wolf Chiyonofuji himself, RIP) heavily criticizing his lack of work ethic.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

I could be wrong, but I remember his oyakata (none other than the great wolf Chiyonofuji himself, RIP) heavily criticizing his lack of work ethic.

If he really has settled into that mid maegashira, then a lack of work ethic makes perfect sense. He always looks strong out of the gate, and then just kind of relaxes, which isn't a great look.

Another good day of sumo! Match of the day definite went to kisenosato v shohozan for me. Tense up until the end!

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Dr.Radical posted:

I'm calling it now: yakuza fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 5 standings:

code:
Diplomat	15
Elissimpark	14
Fryhtaning	7
Kenning		18
Martytoof	16
nyerf		12
Platypus Farm	18
Pvt. Public	16
ratmosphere	16
Rigel		14