Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Killing single player would kill off entire genres and also cut off potential revenue from fans of those genres who aren't willing to flock to your highly monetized multiplayer shooter/moba so no, it's not going to happen because there's money in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Palpek posted:

They should start giving game awards to people instead of titles just like the movie and tv industries do. Start recognizing and presenting the people in the industry to the mainstream more.

The gaming industry ensures that this will always be a mistake.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

The tide will turn when lootboxes stop making money. Remember season passes? No point in having them when once digital sales picked up and Sony forced paid online multiplayer.

Question is will lootboxes ever stop making money.

Season passes are still a thing though and pretty much any major release has one. Do you mean online passes?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nina posted:

Killing single player would kill off entire genres and also cut off potential revenue from fans of those genres who aren't willing to flock to your highly monetized multiplayer shooter/moba so no, it's not going to happen because there's money in it

Single player will still exist, it will just be saddled with needless leveling systems and the like so that they can monetize them you can feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I actually feel like the one thing that hampers my enjoyment of HZD is how the leveling system and the skill tree feel entirely unnecessary and tacked on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

People have been saying that single player games are doomed for like 10 years now and they are going as strong as ever

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 15, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Palpek posted:

They should start giving game awards to people instead of titles just like the movie and tv industries do. Start recognizing and presenting the people in the industry to the mainstream more.

give people meta critic scores

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

People have been saying that single players games are doomed for like 10 years now and they are going strong as ever

bethesda alone has been keeping entire genres alive with the stuff they publish from Tango and Arkane

I don't know how or when but I hope someday we see Paul Giamatti nominated for Best Performance at a Games Awards

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Nina posted:

There is negligible/no single player in Overwatch, Dota, Heartstone etc. The people who still need single player just haven't figured out the recipe for crack yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is negligible/no single player in Overwatch, Dota, Heartstone etc. The people who still need single player just haven't figured out the recipe for crack yet

Didn't Hearthstone explicity go back and add a single player mode?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I think that was my reaction to the "Is the single-player story game dead" conversation a while back, that there is a chance basically only Sony will finance those kinds of games in the future because they can still use cinematic system-sellers.

I still have not bought any lootboxes in any game that has them, but I guess that just means they haven't found the threshold that would capture my psychographic profile yet

Edit: gently caress, I actually bought Overwatch lootboxes during one of their events, they already got me and I'm part of the problem :negative:

None of us is without sin, friend.

I can safely say I've never bought a loot box, but I bought into plenty of microtransaction schemes that led up to loot boxes, so I'm part of the problem, too. And hell, the only reason I never bought loot boxes is just because I'd be super frustrated if I paid money and opened ten of them and didn't get any of the small list of things I want. I can't even claim to be taking a moral stand--I am clearly a thrall to capitalism, I just want to know what I'm getting for my :10bux:

DLC Inc posted:

bethesda alone has been keeping entire genres alive with the stuff they publish from Tango and Arkane

As much as I poo poo on the games Bethesda actually develops, the games by other developers that they publish have a pretty impressive track record, so I can't be too negative about them.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 15, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

People have been saying that single players games are doomed for like 10 years now and they are going strong as ever

Single player games aren't dead but the trend hasn't exactly been super positive for AAA titles with high production values. Visceral and Bioware Montreal have been shut down, Arkane's treading water, IO/Eidos Montreal were cut loose from Square, Crystal Dynamics got moved off Tomb Raider, Volition and Telltale had to cut staff all within the past year. Studios rise and fall all the time but MP titles with microtransactions are able to generate insane profits that single-player games cannot match. Unsurprisingly the SP titles with the most recent success have all been propped up by Sony and Nintendo as console movers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

As much as I poo poo on the games Bethesda actually develops, the games by other developers that they publish have a pretty impressive track record, so I can't be too negative about them.

Todd Howard: Patron Saint of Single Player Games

"It Just Works"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont buy games with lootboxes except for Advanced Warfare because I didnt know it had them

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My hope is that the customers for these things don't overlap perfectly and so there will be both profit to be had from making raw skinner box games as well as more traditional games (which for me appeal for learning and secrets). So I actually would prefer that these games don't have single player or anything and just are pure lootbox plus streamer bait things to keep it contained in it's own little biome.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I am clearly a thrall to capitalism, I just want to know what I'm getting for my :10bux:

Jeez stop being so entitled.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

I don't know how or when but I hope someday we see Paul Giamatti nominated for Best Performance at a Games Awards
One of of Paul Giamatti's first roles was in the FMV game Ripper. Geoff, you know what you must do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really want Paul Giamatti as a central character in a Final Fantasy game. I don't care if he's a moogle or the right hand man of the big bad just let me get Paul Valentine Giamatti complaining about his life and falling asleep in a booth at a diner before you wake him up for a 100 gil quest

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sideways, but in the FFXV world

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Palpek posted:

E3 really shows why they don't. I worked in the industry (and QA is part of it, fight me :p ) and I've worked with quite a bit of developers etc, and yeah they aren't equipped to do social interactions with a big group. :v:

If I had to nominate one person though, it would be Gio Corsi.

He's pretty much the reason why Yakuza is able to be on the PS4. Bless that man.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the amazing things about HZD is it's one of the few games I've ever seen that delivered exactly what was promised in it's initial E3 reveal. Like the footage they first showed was pretty much the game they delivered with all the mechanics shown being stuff you could just do whenever you wanted.

That being said, I'm having more trouble getting into the game then I thought but last night I think it might have started to click

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i usually can't remotely get into open world games because they get really aimless and i stop caring right away, but HZD has me hooked both because the core combat gameplay is very very good and because you get to play a cool-rear end girl

more games should let you play cool-rear end girls

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if HZD had a freeform grappling hook it'd be my goty

actually that goes for any game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i usually can't remotely get into open world games because they get really aimless and i stop caring right away, but HZD has me hooked both because the core combat gameplay is very very good and because you get to play a cool-rear end girl

Sorry, the industry has spoken and they chose bara.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

One of the amazing things about HZD is it's one of the few games I've ever seen that delivered exactly what was promised in it's initial E3 reveal. Like the footage they first showed was pretty much the game they delivered with all the mechanics shown being stuff you could just do whenever you wanted.

I was extremely skeptical of Horizon before it came out. It felt like every gameplay we actually saw came in the form of these perfectly-crafted vertical slices that weren't at all representative of real gameplay. But, well, not really. Sure, stage demos are stage demos, but they're actually reasonably representative. That original reveal? Most of that is pretty much how the game actually works, and hell, any differences probably come down to legitimate changes during development. It's really impressive and it really pleasantly surprised me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Good design is about the grappling hooks you don't have.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

Good design is about the grappling hooks you don't have.

"It's about the grappling hooks you left behind, along the way"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

The gaming industry ensures that this will always be a mistake.

At least its not overwhelmingly populated by rapists and pedophiles

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

Did you play Flinthook?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I love that Prey came out with a female character option and it was 100% the same narrative for it, because somehow I guess only Arkane realized you can totally just do that with most stories and it's actually a good way to go about it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Are we sure about that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Are we sure about that?

I guess not...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Since I mentioned this game the other day: Marvel Heroes is now officially being shut down, instead of just being a weird vestigial thing that never gets any new content or updates. No announcement on their forums of course because there hasn't been staff for awhile to actually announce things, but it's up on The Kotakus.

Another kill for the millennials.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Since I mentioned this game the other day: Marvel Heroes is now officially being shut down, instead of just being a weird vestigial thing that never gets any new content or updates. No announcement on their forums of course because there hasn't been staff for awhile to actually announce things, but it's up on The Kotakus.

Another kill for the millennials.

Just the pc version or the console version too?

Nevemind, liked it up. loving Disney

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 15, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Considering some of the underground stories that go around, I would bet more on "it hasn't come out" before "it isn't happening" TBH.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sounds like everything.

“We [Marvel] regret to inform our Marvel Heroes fans that we have ended our relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, and that the Marvel Heroes games will be shut down. We would like to sincerely thank the players who joined the Marvel Heroes community, and will provide any further updates as they become available.”

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nina posted:

I love that Prey came out with a female character option and it was 100% the same narrative for it, because somehow I guess only Arkane realized you can totally just do that with most stories and it's actually a good way to go about it

:yeah:

I really wish more would be like prey!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nevemind, liked it up. loving Disney

You gotta watch out for the autocorrect, man

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Andrast posted:

People have been saying that single player games are doomed for like 10 years now and they are going as strong as ever

The first time I remember hearing that forecast was when the first multiplayer shooters emerged. The only thing that might actually happen is that 50 million dollar single player games go away in favor of 10 million dollar ones that don't look as pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

GhostDog posted:

The first time I remember hearing that forecast was when the first multiplayer shooters emerged. The only thing that might actually happen is that 50 million dollar single player games go away in favor of 10 million dollar ones that don't look as pretty.

I'd like to think that has already happened since we haven't had those "game sold 5 million copies, the publisher lost money" news in a while

• Locked thread