Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is now being datamined.

Is this a sequel to the original Sun and Moon or a set of deluxe versions or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is this a sequel to the original Sun and Moon or a set of deluxe versions or what?

Deluxe versions with more story changes than usual and actual new pokemon for the first time ever mid-generation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US people, apparently some Target stores are marking down the white/orange New 2DS XL to $75: https://i.imgur.com/LVnzO2J.jpg

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's a lucky find there. My local Target regularly has the lowest price on Nintendo clearance and they're showing up full price on Brickseek.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw that deal in my local target today and was wondering what was up. Some kind of national pricing error I assume.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I guess Reggie is vindicated from when he said the White handheld SKUs don't sell well in the US

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, my local target they were priced at 150. The white ones were certainly not selling though. Plenty of em available.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of the deal sites I visit said most stores update clearance pricing on Mondays. It might be worth checking then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
jbibvi

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 9, 2018

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kirby Battle Royale - out now! (PAL) / January 19 (PAL)

Jan 19 NA, right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Right!

I think I might be the only PAL person who bought it, I've never managed to find a game online. It's not a bad game but it's the least essential Kirby game in a while, for sure.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mario Party: The Top 100 - out now! (NA) / December 22 (PAL)
Where are you seeing that date? I was looking a few weeks ago because I thought it would be a good Christmas present for my nephew or niece, but it seemed to have been dated as January 2018 by NOE (or Nintendo UK, at least).

Battle Royale seems like it might be fun, but I just have too much other stuff to play right now. Working on Superstar Saga, and still have to 100% Mario Odyssey. I also have Culdcept and Layton. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

Where are you seeing that date? I was looking a few weeks ago because I thought it would be a good Christmas present for my nephew or niece, but it seemed to have been dated as January 2018 by NOE (or Nintendo UK, at least).

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/930042584164118528

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh, weird, thanks for that! Glad to hear they're seeing sense, releasing it in January would suck when it feels like a perfect Christmas present with download play.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How can I get better at 2D platformers? I don’t think I’ve ever beaten one. I realized I am really, really bad at them after getting stuck on the boss rush in Shovel Knight. I had been abusing checkpoints, the phase locker and Ichors of Renewal to get through levels and bosses, and then couldn’t rely solely on those crutches to get me through the gauntlet.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

terre packet posted:

How can I get better at 2D platformers? I don’t think I’ve ever beaten one. I realized I am really, really bad at them after getting stuck on the boss rush in Shovel Knight. I had been abusing checkpoints, the phase locker and Ichors of Renewal to get through levels and bosses, and then couldn’t rely solely on those crutches to get me through the gauntlet.

For boss fights, especially in a game like Shovel Knight, the main way is to focus on avoiding instead of dealing damage and figuring out where is safe from each boss' attack. This can lead to finding better opportunities to DEAL damage, as many bosses are usually vulnerable from some angle to attacking even while performing their own attacks and a faster fight leaves less chances to be hit, but all the same the usual platformer mistake here is often going too aggressive and getting hit going for openings or attack angles that just aren't there because ABC* Mentality. Start to learn to give up damage in order to avoid taking it.

*Always Be Clobbering

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

terre packet posted:

How can I get better at 2D platformers?
Play Kirby.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I liked Culdcept until the tutorial ended and it prompted me to make my own deck. I'm lazy, don't make me do that kind of thing. :negative:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mario Party might have all the best games, but what are the boards like?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

So this has Toadstool Titan, right?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TheKingofSprings posted:

So this has Toadstool Titan, right?

Yeah, it's called Mush Pit now though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looper posted:

Mario Party might have all the best games, but what are the boards like?

There’s literally only one board (lol) and it plays like how they did in Star Rush. It’s a real shame since the minigame selection is pretty much perfect to me.

You can play literally everything with download play so that’s cool but I can’t help but wish that this game was on Switch with more traditional boards.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

For boss fights, especially in a game like Shovel Knight, the main way is to focus on avoiding instead of dealing damage and figuring out where is safe from each boss' attack. This can lead to finding better opportunities to DEAL damage, as many bosses are usually vulnerable from some angle to attacking even while performing their own attacks and a faster fight leaves less chances to be hit, but all the same the usual platformer mistake here is often going too aggressive and getting hit going for openings or attack angles that just aren't there because ABC* Mentality. Start to learn to give up damage in order to avoid taking it.

*Always Be Clobbering

Awesome advice, thanks. I’m gonna take a break from the game and then play it through it again later, minus the relic scumming, while keeping this in mind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, do we know yet if North America is getting the 3DS Dragon Quest XI?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nice!

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold on GBA and I will be getting Ultra Sun on Friday since I bought one of those 2DS XLs this summer.

What should I know about Pokemon in 2017?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You don't actually gotta catch'em all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lord Wexia posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold on GBA and I will be getting Ultra Sun on Friday since I bought one of those 2DS XLs this summer.

There's a Fairy type now that's good against dragons, fighting and dark but weak to poison and steel.
The attacking stat an attack uses is no longer dependent on what type of move it is like it was in Gen 2 where all Normal moves were Physical and all Water were Special for instance. Now, Physical and Special attacks can be of any type. Physical use the Attack state and are denoted with a red and yellow explosion icon when looking at the move's description, while Special attacks use the Special Attack state and are shown with a blue water ripple icon.

Honestly, there's a ton more stuff but that's about all you have to know to understand what's going on and get through. And even then, I remember playing through Pearl not understanding the Physical/Special split at all and made it the whole way so even that might not be that important. Have fun with it!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know for certain if this applies to the Ultra versions, but:
- After the fire trial on the second island you will unlock the Charizard ride (replaces HM Fly) and Poke Pelago. I suggest sticking to the main story until you have those, because they are both great.
- You can prevent SOS battles (wild Pokemon calling others to aid them in fights) by afflicting Pokemon with a status effect. They won't cry for help as long as the status effect is active.
- You don't need to use Pokemon Refresh if you don't want to. If you ever do need to raise a Pokemon's affection you can simply feed them 3-4 Rainbow Beans and be done with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SOS Battles only call one reinforcement instead of unlimited reinforcements now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So you constantly have to take out the oldest Pokemon if you want to keep the SOS chain going? That makes sense, but it might make chaining for certain Hidden Abilities really hard (here's looking at you Dewpider).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mierenneuker posted:

So you constantly have to take out the oldest Pokemon if you want to keep the SOS chain going? That makes sense, but it might make chaining for certain Hidden Abilities really hard (here's looking at you Dewpider).

why would you ever even want a Water Absorb Dewpider? :psyduck:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

From what I heard if you use the Adrenaline Orb it enables old SOS rules, so everybody's happy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

^^ that's great

Zore posted:

why would you ever even want a Water Absorb Dewpider? :psyduck:

Because you can!
(back when the Beast Ball spreadsheet in the Pokemon thread was going on I made an effort to catch an Araquanid* in a Beast Ball. I decided to go the extra mile and give it the HA as well)
((*Dewpider knows Spider Web so it was more convenient to chain its more leveled brethren))

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

US people, apparently some Target stores are marking down the white/orange New 2DS XL to $75: https://i.imgur.com/LVnzO2J.jpg

I'll be pissed if my local Target did the same thing since that's where I got mine two weeks ago.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Wexia posted:

The Physical/Special move split and Fairy type thing above.

Sun and Moon specifically removed HMs and instead you call Pokemon on a pager to do what used to be an HM job.
TMs can be used an unlimited number of times.
Berries are now farmed in a place called Pokemon Palego. There's also trees like in Gold.
A hold item mechanic called Mega Evolution was introduced in Pokemon X&Y. It gets introduced for Sun and Moon after you become champion.
Sun and Moon are more story based and there will be plenty of cutscenes.

The games themselves are set in the distant future of Gold/Silver. The Team Rocket member that stole the machine part in Kanto appeared with a child saying he quit and got married in Pokemon Black and White two generations ago.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

You don't actually gotta catch'em all.

Come on, this is a weak troll attempt

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
When I was upgrading microSD cards and migrating all my files over, for whatever reason my computer refused to copy over a particularly large 2GB file inside the folder for MH4U. I ignored it and now there's a broken icon for MH4U on my home screen and an unnamed 0 block app in my data management listings.

What's the best/safest way to fix it that leaves all my save data intact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

dragon enthusiast posted:

When I was upgrading microSD cards and migrating all my files over, for whatever reason my computer refused to copy over a particularly large 2GB file inside the folder for MH4U. I ignored it and now there's a broken icon for MH4U on my home screen and an unnamed 0 block app in my data management listings.

What's the best/safest way to fix it that leaves all my save data intact?

Save data is probably fine as it is separate from the main game file. Just redownload the game from the eShop.