Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'd be interested in a thread about civil war reenacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Soulex posted:

There was a Fire bush civil war?

Edit: Finnish. Autocorrect. Keeping it.

There was a conservative v communist one in 1918, but I suspect they're not big on reenacting it because of the massacres and executions.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 13, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Syncopated posted:

I suspect they're not big on reenacting it because of the massacres and executions.

Sounds easier than running around a big field all day. :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Syncopated posted:

There was a conservative v communist one in 1918, but I suspect they're not big on reenacting it because of the massacres and executions.

I had a relative who took part in the Blackhawk War. He basically fell into depression afterward and died of "melancholy."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'd be interested in a thread about civil war reenacting.

I'll whip something up later.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Gaaaaaayyyyyyyy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just looked at next years training calendar and it’s potentially worse than this year for time away from home for leadership tasked to be OCs for our sister BDE.

As in almost 4 months straight gone counting our own field problems.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caj1SyT0BUM

Please get motivated.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mustang, your posting lately shows a severe lack of heart.

Needs improvement.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang, if you're not waking up with a massive moto erection, yelling the soldiers creed at the top of your lungs while saluting the photos of the chief of staff, TRADOC commander and Emperor trump plastered on your wall, then I don't want you in my army.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That reminds me. They put out some new virtual SHARP training that so far is for Commanders/1SGs and above. There's of course one commander who's a total moron and ignores a bunch of harassment and responds incredibly stupidly to a sexual assault, and a smart commander who does all the right stuff.

Both commanders are depicted (animation), sleeping in their PT uniforms. The bad commander has a wife and kid. The good commander lives alone and has a moto photo hanging over his headboard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MurderBot posted:

Mustang, if you're not waking up with a massive moto erection, yelling the soldiers creed at the top of your lungs while saluting the photos of the chief of staff, TRADOC commander and Emperor trump plastered on your wall, then I don't want you in my army.

Quoting so I can steal this later

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

That reminds me. They put out some new virtual SHARP training that so far is for Commanders/1SGs and above. There's of course one commander who's a total moron and ignores a bunch of harassment and responds incredibly stupidly to a sexual assault, and a smart commander who does all the right stuff.

Both commanders are depicted (animation), sleeping in their PT uniforms. The bad commander has a wife and kid. The good commander lives alone and has a moto photo hanging over his headboard.

Ah yes, another good PR decision.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

lol @ the MOPP gear

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

BFAs don't match, what a bunch of shitbags.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
lol if you dont sleep in your APFUs

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Also, new Av isn't quite accurate anymore. poo poo detail successfully passed onto someone else and DA31 signed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Also, new Av isn't quite accurate anymore. poo poo detail successfully passed onto someone else and DA31 signed.

Looks like the text is accurate, then!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mustang posted:

I hope you get it, but I'd be tense all the way until you call staff duty to sign out.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey sup. Not a army dude but I was a navy corpsman who wants to go back in. Would anyone who was Infantry on the enlisted or officer be willing to talk to me before I make any bad decisions a few years down the line?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, don't loving join the military again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

Hey sup. Not a army dude but I was a navy corpsman who wants to go back in. Would anyone who was Infantry on the enlisted or officer be willing to talk to me before I make any bad decisions a few years down the line?

Are you joining the Army? My driver was a navy guy before joining us.

My only recommendation is to know exactly what you want out of it (student loans paid, free college, employment certifications, clearance, etc). And don't sign a contract until they show you, in the contract, exactly what you wanted.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Especially avoid combat arms if you're so broke-brained that you don't follow the first piece of advice.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

army is like gayer navy with more running

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

Former infantry officer. Don’t loving join, your back and knees will start thanking you almost immediately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Viva Miriya posted:

Hi. If you're dumb enough to join the Army after getting your freedom back you deserve the Army and the Army deserves you.

Namaste.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Don't re-enlist after you've already been out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don’t be stupid.

That’s all I have.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, don't loving join the military again.

Especially avoid combat arms if you're so broke-brained that you don't follow the first piece of advice.

bird food bathtub posted:

Hi. If you're dumb enough to join the Army after getting your freedom back you deserve the Army and the Army deserves you.

Namaste.

The last guy said it perfectly. I'm one of those. I'll spare you the gay poo poo and leave it as I want combat arms for "reasons."

spacetoaster posted:

Are you joining the Army? My driver was a navy guy before joining us.

My only recommendation is to know exactly what you want out of it (student loans paid, free college, employment certifications, clearance, etc). And don't sign a contract until they show you, in the contract, exactly what you wanted.

What I do exactly is more important than the pay. I honestly want to go group life but I'm not some superman yet so I figure it would be "smart" to give the infantry a try for a stint, learn some poo poo, harden up, and then put in for it. I don't have to make this decision for 3 years, I have time to smarten up but honestly it's not looking good.

I'm never gonna sign a contract that doesn't have what I want. I know enlisted dudes don't give a gently caress about me when it comes to signing me up. For what I want its like this (enlisted anyway): Job (11X at least, 18X if 3 years from now I believe I can hack it), student loans, Airborne guarantee or something like that if that's a thing.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Former infantry officer. Don’t loving join, your back and knees will start thanking you almost immediately.

I skimmed Mustang's posts ITT last night. I got the ROTC answer about the Infantry PL's job. Wanted to hear about it from someone whose been there and done that though.

What did you do as a PL day to day? What kinda bullshit did you have to deal with vs that of your men? What about the other officers?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

army is like gayer navy with more running

Is that why you guys invented PRTs?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

The last guy said it perfectly. I'm one of those. I'll spare you the gay poo poo and leave it as I want combat arms for "reasons."

What the gently caress "reasons" do you have? Seriously, this is important.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can't you read!?!? He wants to HARDEN THE gently caress UP. :colbert:

Special Forces Ranger Black Ops Delta Seal is the way to go.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you want to damage your body but are too undisciplined to do it without the company of dozens of fellow idiots join a CrossFit gym. If you want to murder brown people without consequences your local police department is hiring.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Some motherfuckers just don’t learn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

What I do exactly is more important than the pay. I honestly want to go group life but I'm not some superman yet so I figure it would be "smart" to give the infantry a try for a stint, learn some poo poo, harden up, and then put in for it. I don't have to make this decision for 3 years, I have time to smarten up but honestly it's not looking good.

I'm never gonna sign a contract that doesn't have what I want. I know enlisted dudes don't give a gently caress about me when it comes to signing me up. For what I want its like this (enlisted anyway): Job (11X at least, 18X if 3 years from now I believe I can hack it), student loans, Airborne guarantee or something like that if that's a thing.

SUMMADAT GRUNT poo poo

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've heard the Marine Corps is always looking for a few good men.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Who’s alt is this

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

drat this thread got triggered fast

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

This is me being super super honest here but this is how I've gotten it figured.

I want to do the job of the infantryman; I want to be a fighter. I wanna to protect the people of my country. I want to destroy the enemies of my country. I want to live an honorable life and I don't want to die having lived an easy, safe life, when I know I can do more.

That's as simple as it gets and this is despite talking to other vets around me, reading up on stuff, and reading up on you guys talk about your experiences. I'm drawn to this poo poo like a moth to the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Viva Miriya posted:

This is me being super super honest here but this is how I've gotten it figured.

I want to do the job of the infantryman; I want to be a fighter. I wanna to protect the people of my country. I want to destroy the enemies of my country. I want to live an honorable life and I don't want to die having lived an easy, safe life, when I know I can do more.

That's as simple as it gets and this is despite talking to other vets around me, reading up on stuff, and reading up on you guys talk about your experiences. I'm drawn to this poo poo like a moth to the light.

Lol