Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

deadwing posted:

It's not like this is at all exclusive to Destiny, the last three Civilization games have done the exact same thing. Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc, etc all launch with less content than the expanded games that came before.

Do they launch with fewer features?

Yeah I get that there will be fewer levels or whatever (although with Adventures and what not there is a surprising amount of this type of content in D2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

gently caress doors

If the leviathan raid don't need more things, is more doors open to empty and clever designed tunnels. Theres enough of that x100 times. x1000 times.

Could use more exotic rewards for fun stuff, or hidden stuff, epic quest, wadda wadda.

Hell, it can add a lot of enemies and become a patrol area.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Game prices have increased though. I'm dumb enough to buy 100 dollar editons of poo poo to get a tiny digital bobble. I'm not alone

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Serf posted:

its almost as if they intentionally don't include features/content that you've gotten used to and instead section them off into dlc you can pick up for $14.99 apiece until you've wound up buying essentially a whole new game just to get the amount o of stuff you were expecting and this is on top of a loot box system for getting cosmetic appearances that used to just be free

Yeah and it's almost as if Destiny 1 did the exact same thing :thunk:
If you bought D1 day one full cost and bought all the expansions as they came out, you spent 140 bucks iirc

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Do they launch with fewer features?

Yeah I get that there will be fewer levels or whatever (although with Adventures and what not there is a surprising amount of this type of content in D2).

COD WWII launched with nine maps and like 20 guns

Serf
May 5, 2011

deadwing posted:

Yeah and it's almost as if Destiny 1 did the exact same thing :thunk:
If you bought D1 day one full cost and bought all the expansions as they came out, you spent 140 bucks iirc

i'm glad we agree

also development costs going up is only half the story. you gotta find more ways to extract profit from the users so that you can pass that money along to the executives

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Norns posted:

Game prices have increased though. I'm dumb enough to buy 100 dollar editons of poo poo to get a tiny digital bobble. I'm not alone

Yes, but the base cost of most triple A games is still 60 bucks. It's not a coincidence that most games sell at 60 and then sell you a Season Pass for ~50 though, they'd like to be selling games at a base price of around 120 but then no one would buy it. So they backdoor it and get the people willing to pay for more to pay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Norns posted:

It's almost like sequels should build on what came before them though? Destiny 2 is a step back in almost every way from what people are saying. Even basic quality of life poo poo.

Yeah and thats the problem, all the other poo poo will get fixed eventually, currently other than meeting your internet friends to shoot the poo poo for a few hours there's currently little incentive to play.

The raid is fun enough but i think its telling that its WAY easier than anything in D1.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Then again I spent something like 90 dollars on final fantasy 3 back on the day...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember buying Street Fighter 2 Turbo for eighty dollars at the walmarts

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Random rolls on weapons would be great if most of the perks weren’t rear end. There were usually only one or two acceptable combinations for each good weapon. The new system just optimized the process of collecting then sharding.

Old: shard, shard, shard, shard, keep, shard, ..
New: keep, shard, shard, ...

Bring random rolls back but make each perk useful and move the less useful ones to a static roll section.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deadwing posted:

It's not like this is at all exclusive to Destiny, the last three Civilization games have done the exact same thing. Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc, etc all launch with less content than the expanded games that came before.

I actually feel like Civ 6 is actually a good example of not stripping DLC content out of the base game. Sure, there weren't all of the civs from the DLCs but the Civ equivalent of D2 would have been taking trade routes and religion out of the base game.

I hate harping on this but they just up and disappeared characters from D1 in a way that's both clearly setting up their return in a DLC and is completely unsatisfying plot-wise, and that's bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Balthesar posted:

Random rolls on weapons would be great if most of the perks weren’t rear end. There were usually only one or two acceptable combinations for each good weapon. The new system just optimized the process of collecting then sharding.

Old: shard, shard, shard, shard, keep, shard, ..
New: keep, shard, shard, ...

Bring random rolls back but make each perk useful and move the less useful ones to a static roll section.

It's more that the old system holds open the possibility that every drop could be meaningful. With the new system it's very easy to have a particular NPC's entire drop table in your vault. At that point he's no longer a source of rewards, full stop, and all the activities connected to him are that much more pointless.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

deadwing posted:

COD WWII launched with nine maps and like 20 guns

Those aren't features. Sequels build on the feature set of the previous games in the series or are a conscious rework of what worked while stripping out what didn't.

You could maybe argue that D2 is the latter but it seems to be that the consensus is a failure in this regard. It's more likely it was the former but didn't actually build on the full legacy of D1. Instead it seems like it tried to do this on a bad version of D1 about halfway through its life.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Balthesar posted:

I think thats one of the key things thats missing, most of the old perks were useless except a small handfull. Theyve removed that but also theyve really toned down the stronger perks on things like exotics so rather than have a situation where theres meta guns with meta perks, now its just a smaller number of meta guns.

The perks on exotics now are horseshit and i fully put that down to whinny forums like reddit constantly bitching about guns they didnt like getting killed by in crucible.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The real only QoL thing that's worse in D2 right now than D1 is the vault. Not having to go to orbit to launch new activities, having multiple places to drop to in patrol, not having to go to the tower to get bounty equivalents, not having engrams take up normal inventory slots, not needing planetary mats to unlock gun and armor perks, hell, not even needing to unlock perks for guns/armor at all. All massive QoL improvements.

Starting a play session D1 meant a tower trip before you even started playing, then back to orbit, then to whatever activity you wanted to do, by then you already burned five minutes of non gameplay time. Now you just fly directly to whatever you want to do and you've already got all your daily and weekly "bounties"

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

deadwing posted:

The real only QoL thing that's worse in D2 right now than D1 is the vault. Not having to go to orbit to launch new activities, having multiple places to drop to in patrol, not having to go to the tower to get bounty equivalents, not having engrams take up normal inventory slots, not needing planetary mats to unlock gun and armor perks, hell, not even needing to unlock perks for guns/armor at all. All massive QoL improvements.

Starting a play session D1 meant a tower trip before you even started playing, then back to orbit, then to whatever activity you wanted to do, by then you already burned five minutes of non gameplay time. Now you just fly directly to whatever you want to do and you've already got all your daily and weekly "bounties"

No quest page

Weapon bounties in inventory again (on the coms!!!!!)

Token system (has some positives)

Iron banner disastrous setup

Lack of vendors to counter pure rng

Glimmer rewards covering "bounties"

Not being able to see "bounties" until in the activity

Mod system, inventory and management

Pvp playlists condensed

No private matches

4v4 only

That stuff you mentioned is in fact very good and I was singing the praises of it while playing through. Going back to D1 it's been great except for having to tower and deploy to the same spaces on each planet. Not to mention constantly getting kicked from inventory.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They still haven't prioritized bounties over 2 glimmer from a dreg lmao

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait 2 buy DLC to be able 2 see bounties

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I still like this dumb game but its definitely got a long way to go.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I mean yeah d2 has it's issues but overall I've been a lot more satisfied with it than d1, although I guess I'm a Filthy Casual who hasn't even clocked a hundred hours, but I still have adventures to do, still have exotics to get, still have to start a warlock (really hoping DLC1 comes with a spark of light)

Things like the PvP changes are a matter of opinion, I like the multiple modes in one playlist, and I like 4v4 (but I was the fuckman in D1 with the scout or heavy pulse plinking you from the flank, TLW/shotty one man armies probably feel a bit different)

Right now the big thing D2 is lacking is incentive to repeat content, which I'm currently fine with because I'm not done with the existing content, and the live team has said they're working on more incentives to keep playing, and it's a hell of a lot better than having to keep playing because you need a hundred spinmetal to see if the gun you just got is any good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stream up, 10 minutes

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

drat Curse of Osiris sounding stacked, seems bigger than the first D1 DLCs combined

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

deadwing posted:

drat Curse of Osiris sounding stacked, seems bigger than the first D1 DLCs combined

This is optimistic, remember that they always oversell in the lead up.

What matters is hard numbers. How many strikes, how many raids, how many PVP maps, how many new guns and armor sets ("new" requires that it have a new model, imo), how many campaign missions, etc. As well as any new secondary activities in the vein of Court of Oryx, Prison of Elders, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like there's at least a dozen weapon quests on that board in the Lighthouse.

Also looks like the Infinite Forest is not the same as the patrol space, it's a special area with some level of mutability in the environment and encounters.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 15, 2017

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Weekly Heroic Strikes coming back, rare and purple gear rewards

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Raid content: "Raid lair". A new set of encounters in the Leviathan environment, independent from the original raid. 6 players, new encounters and final boss. New rewards, prestige mode.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 15, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It's a new raid but they're lazy so they're using a bunch of Leviathan assets.

Also I cannot tell if they're saying "lair" or "layer".

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

"New raid content" = Raid Lair, a NEW raid but still set in the Leviathan. Old raid is still an option. Power levels raised for both. Shorter than original but new rewards.

The raid for expansion 2 will be the same kind of thing, also set in the Leviathan.

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Ehhhhhhh

Not pleased with that imo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Expansion 2 will also have a new raid lair added.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

qbert posted:

It's a new raid but they're lazy so they're using a bunch of Leviathan assets.

Also I cannot tell if they're saying "lair" or "layer".

It's not like Crota had a ton of unique assets, it was mostly the same old underground hive poo poo and PoE was even worse for asset recycling

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Let's take bets on whether it's "lair" or "layer".

Edit: They answered. Lair.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

haveblue posted:

Expansion 2 will also have a new raid lair added.

I’m not super pleased with this development at all honestly, that kind of sucks.

Also I’m not sure that “better than Crota” should be the bar new raids have to clear.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Well, they are saying it's going to be "completely different," not reusing the palace, so we'll have to wait and see how much of an asset shuffle it is or isn't.

Also it is "lair"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

First story mission. It's MoreConsole but he only talks at the beginning, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNQ5Qzz34U

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Oded Fehr's voice is like butter, jeez.

edit: so is Morena Baccarin's

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not super pleased with this development at all honestly, that kind of sucks.

Also I’m not sure that “better than Crota” should be the bar new raids have to clear.

Crota ruled, it was basically Destiny Raid: The Action Movie. I hope this "lair" is the same sort of thing. We already have the puzzle raid. Bring on the shoot a bunch of dudes raid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

deadwing posted:

Crota ruled, it was basically Destiny Raid: The Action Movie. I hope this "lair" is the same sort of thing. We already have the puzzle raid. Bring on the shoot a bunch of dudes raid.

I like Crota but it’s the weakest of D1’s raids.

WOTM should be the benchmark imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Soo the leviathan is going to be the only raid content in DLC1 & 2 before triangle boys show up after that? Sounds p. weak I was hoping for a vex and rasputin raid.