Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Bombadilillo posted:

Im working towards the Ubisoft class, no idea if its good or what it even is or anything, but Im drat excited.

Same for the Cthulhu Face class for me. I had the basic concept spoiled for me accidentally, but I know none of the technical details. Sounds super interesting.

I want my copy dammit. Everyone having fun but me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Eh, i've yet to be convinced on the helmet, i'm never a fan of purely reactive stuff in games for events that might not even come up. My partner took one since she's playing a Brute and wants to tank as much as possible. I'm saving up for the goggles eventually, well, when my devout mindthief isn't giving alms to the Church of the Little Rat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MikeCrotch posted:

Eh, i've yet to be convinced on the helmet, i'm never a fan of purely reactive stuff in games for events that might not even come up. My partner took one since she's playing a Brute and wants to tank as much as possible. I'm saving up for the goggles eventually, well, when my devout mindthief isn't giving alms to the Church of the Little Rat.

Its reactive but not it doesn't get consumed. So you are just protected from nukes. You can really wade in to a fight with more calculated knowledge of how much you will get hit for.

Last night after a scenario we went back to gloomhaven and my 4 year old wanted to "give money to the Great Ogre for the good cards" :kiddo:

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

The horned helmet is super nice for Scoundrel, because she's a missile, and you don't want to get hit anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is anyone using the optional rule of replacing your crit/miss cards with +0s? How's that working out?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Got the Meeple Realty organizer built and the game punched last night. Had a monster and two coins that weren't glued at all, and one of the character boxes was a little crushed, but otherwise it looks OK.

Does anyone know if there's a component list that shows x number of altars, x number of earth demons? I'd like to check and make sure nothing is missing and the manual just shows 155 overlay tiles and 240 standees.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

http://www.cephalofair.com/gloomhaven-monster-spoilers

Try that for monsters? I think all the cards had a room tile on them, so you could count those. There is a lot of random junk tiles. For obstacles I just grab then, don't care if that box was supposed to be a barrel.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 15, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How is it playing with your older daughter? Does anything trip her up in particular?

I think my son is going to adore this game. He loves stuff like warhammer adventure quest.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

http://www.cephalofair.com/gloomhaven-monster-spoilers

Try that for monsters? I think all the cards had a room tile on them, so you could count those. There is a lot of random junk tiles. For obstacles I just grab then, don't care if that box was supposed to be a barrel.

Perfect, thanks!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

How is it playing with your older daughter? Does anything trip her up in particular?

I think my son is going to adore this game. He loves stuff like warhammer adventure quest.

Caveat. She is a weirdo. Super smart, goes to a gifted school. She was playing simple games like Forbidden Island and castle panic at 4, and I mean playing them. She can sit down with me for 3 hours and play a game. At 7 she beats (not every time, and I'm not that good) me at Dominion and that Egyptian deck builder I cant remember the name of. She does get bogged down with too many systems in games, we play War of the Ring but theres a few too many things to keep track of in that for her. Reads 3.75 gradelevel.

That all said.

She loves it. Absolutely loves it. Mom and Grandma are getting annoyed because she wont shut up about it, she shows me the pictures of our team she drew as school. Game play is great. She tried tinkerer but got frustrated that the cards were situational, but that's the tinkerers fault not her's. Now she's the brute and having fun, she can set up moves to do the multihex attacks which is about max brute complexity.

Some concepts took some getting used to

-initiative number not meaning that card goes first.
-learning to actually take long rests(I had that problem too)
-needed reminders to use items- she has since bought items and looked over the whole shop for a LONG time, and is keenly aware and excited to use them all the time.
-needs reminders that she can discard a card instead of take damage
-Concept of infusing magic/then using it. Probably most complex for her.

These are all minor and after 4 scenarios I have completely stopped paying attention to her turns. Occasionally she yells 'NO I DIED' and I remind her to just discard. Surprisingly the concept of a discard pile and lost pile were instantly groked also the use one top / one bottom, no problems. Just the weird idea that her initiative card meant she had to play that one, I must have said something weird in the explanation.

We've played Imperial Assault and Descent and Mice&Mystics before and she picked this up way faster for some reason. I think its the written, MOVE 3 on cards as opposed to remembering the 8 actions you can do in other games. Along with the Heal cards reminding you that you can do that, push cards reminding you about that. Now that I type that I'm sure that's it. Your choices are clearly laid out and even when things get tough they are still clearly laid out with actually LESS choices. I'm pretty confident after some playing with the brute she will want a more complicated class, she's already eying spellweaver!

tldr: If your kid can read, I declare Gloomhaven kid friendly.

Note: my 4 year old plays too, meaning I pick the cards and she runs the damage deck and I give her choices where to, "OK you get to attack two guys next to you, you can move 2 spots, where do you want to go to get the guys." This is mostly to encourage her to have fun with games and she wanders off after a few rounds. This game actually works really really well for that. I can pick 2 characters turns in the time my 7 year old picks her cards.

Any more specific questions lemme know.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

keldon posted:

Are you aware of the rule that you can lose a card from your hand (or two from discard pile) to cancel a source of damage? Dying in the first room of that scenario really shouldn't happen.

Goddamnit.

Thank you guys. As soon as I read "are you aware of the rule..." it came back to me. I'm fairly certain we would have died the first time anyway due to some strategy mistakes, but that most recent lost most definitely would not have happened. At least it makes me feel a bit better about not losing entirely due to strategy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People talking about playing games with their kids is one of the only times I'm actually jealous of parents. That's super cute.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Goddamnit.

Thank you guys. As soon as I read "are you aware of the rule..." it came back to me. I'm fairly certain we would have died the first time anyway due to some strategy mistakes, but that most recent lost most definitely would not have happened. At least it makes me feel a bit better about not losing entirely due to strategy.

Good news though, the game isn't terrible!

Sinteres posted:

People talking about playing games with their kids is one of the only times I'm actually jealous of parents. That's super cute.

Its super fun, I always have a game group! And "Do your homework before you get to play Gloomhaven" Is a threat that totally works!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So when people say some pieces weren't glued, what does that mean? Do they literally fall to pieces? Is it something you can easily fix yourself? It's got me a little worried.

keldon
May 14, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

So when people say some pieces weren't glued, what does that mean? Do they literally fall to pieces? Is it something you can easily fix yourself? It's got me a little worried.
Yeah, there's no glue between the two printed paper pieces and the cardboard in between. Once they were punched they promptly fell apart. I emailed Cepahlofair's support address and they say they'll send a replacement punchboard as soon as they have them. For the smaller tokens you could probably use a drop of glue to repair them in the meantime, but the big terrain tiles would likely warp unless you were sure to use a non-water based glue.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I see, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for me I guess.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mine were all glued but a few pieces here and there weren't punched all the way, had to razor them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Countblanc posted:

Is anyone using the optional rule of replacing your crit/miss cards with +0s? How's that working out?

I don't have the game yet, but I think the optional variant to count nulls/curses as -2, and 2x/bless as +2 is better. It preserves the identity of the cards as extremely good/bad draws, while still allowing you to power through unlucky draws via overkill.

EDIT: you can find this variant in the 2nd edition rulebook on page 49. For this variant, the nulls, curses, 2xs, and blesses still force reshuffles, but with a -2/+2 modifier instead of a null/2x modifier.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So I am interested in this but I missed the kickstarter so I am wondering about two things. First of all what is the msrp/price that I should expect to pay for the game and secondly what retailers should I be keeping an eye on for when they put it up? The only place I can find that has pre-orders is charging like $250 for it plus shipping which i am pretty sure is way to high.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Do you take the cards out? They both force a reshuffle. It would mitigate randomness if you went though the whole deck every time. Vanilla you can theoretically miss-shuffle-miss-shuffle forever. Or crit-shuffle too.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 15, 2017

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Drashin posted:

So I am interested in this but I missed the kickstarter so I am wondering about two things. First of all what is the msrp/price that I should expect to pay for the game and secondly what retailers should I be keeping an eye on for when they put it up? The only place I can find that has pre-orders is charging like $250 for it plus shipping which i am pretty sure is way to high.

I think MSRP is something like $130 or so. Give it a couple more weeks to actually be in stock.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's going to be $120.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Super glad I got in on this kickstarter.

Whats up with solo scenarios, someone said they were in the box. I didn't see then. Was that an add-on I didn't do? I saw them online posted by Issac on BGG

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats up with solo scenarios, someone said they were in the box. I didn't see then. Was that an add-on I didn't do? I saw them online posted by Issac on BGG

Yeah, I think they were a $10 add on.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah they were an add on. You can get the scenarios for free, and print out the cards that go with them, so it was just an optional thing for people who want production quality components for everything.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The solo scenarios add-on is just a nice printed version of the same PDF you can download from BoardGameGeek. The add-on also comes with a few unique item cards, which would be print-and-play style if you use the BGG version.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Any more specific questions lemme know.

Awesome, thank you!

My kid has trouble reading but I looked at the cards and think he should be ok with the limited text most cards have. Might need help on some of them.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

FunkMonkey posted:

It was those two coins and one monster standee. I glued them back together and so far they're holding.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Awesome, thank you!

My kid has trouble reading but I looked at the cards and think he should be ok with the limited text most cards have. Might need help on some of them.

Yeah, stick with Brute starting, its pretty move/attack based. I still get a lot of "what does adjacent mean?" questions. But there are some like cragheart which are just going to be wordsalad for any kid. Those are All Allies suffer damage then move 4 and attack all enemies moved through...avoid cragheart for him. Even though he looks like a badass rock guy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Drashin posted:

This link is from the distributor of the Kickstarter https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=039095 and could work. By the time it's available there might be better deals through other retailers so you should watch but this could at least get you in at $120.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Bombadilillo posted:

Good news though, the game isn't terrible!

Ha, well I never thought it was terrible, but definitely more frustrating (in the bad way) than I expected. This obviously makes a big difference. I was pretty close to giving up on that character/difficulty level. Had flashbacks of Mice and Mystics, rolling terribly and dying over and over.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Ha, well I never thought it was terrible, but definitely more frustrating (in the bad way) than I expected. This obviously makes a big difference. I was pretty close to giving up on that character/difficulty level. Had flashbacks of Mice and Mystics, rolling terribly and dying over and over.

The advice is right about it being tough at first, I had 1 character in my 3 character party level up and everyone got a perk and suddenly things got WAY easier. I was considering bumping down the difficulty cause I have no shame and like having fun with games.

Feels good though, feels like our characters got through some adversity and are stronger for it. You also will never be that impotent again, you get to probably start at a higher level and bonus perks for every character you personally retire.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm planning to start at easy, at least until i get the hang of the game, but at least part of that is that I'm worried I'll bounce off the puzzle aspect of it and wish it was more of a conventional dice chucker. I definitely got it more for the campaign than for the mechanics, but I hope I'll like those too since that's kind of a big deal.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I'm planning to start at easy, at least until i get the hang of the game, but at least part of that is that I'm worried I'll bounce off the puzzle aspect of it and wish it was more of a conventional dice chucker. I definitely got it more for the campaign than for the mechanics, but I hope I'll like those too since that's kind of a big deal.

I don't think its too puzzlie, maybe later it will get that way. Is like a dice chucker with less randomness in your dice. and more randomness in what the monsters do. Their card can throw off your whole plan and you have to look at these 2 cards you committed too and see what you can do with them now.

Like I expected the guard to move and attack cause that's normal, but he Stood still and will retaliate if I hit him So now my big attack to kill him wont be a good idea.

Or do you mean hand management puzzle? These mechanics are so much better then a dice chucker I never want to go back. And I like(d) dice chuckers.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Or do you mean hand management puzzle? These mechanics are so much better then a dice chucker I never want to go back. And I like(d) dice chuckers.

Mostly this. I honestly haven't played that many board games yet in general, so finding out the hard way that I don't like euro mechanics here would suck. I'm mostly worried about it feeling punishing if my choices aren't super optimal/having analysis paralysis as a result, but I guess that's why I'm starting on easy to make it more forgiving. There are some things that feel unthematic and gamey like movement being a finite resource even if there aren't any monsters around, or potentially missing out on loot for the same reason, but I think I can live with that aspect of it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well, it's a game, so of course it's gamey

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

These mechanics are so much better then a dice chucker I never want to go back. And I like(d) dice chuckers.

I just got notice that Gloomhaven arrived.

But it's my second copy, and I'm a bit jealous of all you who are just getting started. Just a great game, and while we're done with it for now (after over 100 hours of play), I totally agree that I wouldn't go back to a Move/Attack/Chuck Dice game. I look forward to other games learning lessons from GH, though I don't expect many will replicate its sheer size.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Mostly this. I honestly haven't played that many board games yet in general, so finding out the hard way that I don't like euro mechanics here would suck. I'm mostly worried about it feeling punishing if my choices aren't super optimal/having analysis paralysis as a result, but I guess that's why I'm starting on easy to make it more forgiving. There are some things that feel unthematic and gamey like movement being a finite resource even if there aren't any monsters around, or potentially missing out on loot for the same reason, but I think I can live with that aspect of it.

It's really not that bad. Just don't blow your cards that get lost early.

But it's about fun so start how you want and bump it up once you got your footing. Which I expect will be 1 scenario.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Got my shipping notice! (Canada)

Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

Decided to start as Cragheart and have been trying to think of a cool name for him. Just had a friend over to run a random dungeon to teach him the rules and he thought the Cragheart's belt said "KYLE"

Welp.

My favorite thing about the Gloomhaven community is occasionally seeing people misspell it as the Craigheart. So I'd go with that.