Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The exchange courtesy of IMDB

“Do you know the oldest lie in America, Senator? Can I call you June?”

“You can call me whatever you like. Take a bucket of piss and call it Granny's Peach Tea; take a weapon of assassination and call it deterrence. You won't fool a fly or me. I'm not gonna drink it.”

IRL I’ve heard a similar saying of “don’t piss on my boots and tell me it’s raining”, but in either case you’re accusing the other person of feeding you bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jamesman posted:

:stare:

OK now give me a real answer please.

No that's it, the point of the scene (and it's brief) is a "one final gently caress you" before setting off lexs grand plan but it comes across as overly weird.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s a very interesting take on Lex.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a jar labelled "Grandma's Peach Tea".

It's a great final gently caress you to her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it though?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Al Borland Corp. posted:

also to his valet, for some reason

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And to the audience!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jamesman posted:

:stare:

OK now give me a real answer please.

Just a reminder, this is the same visionary who said "Let's do something fun" with this material, introduced Jimmy Olsen, and then promptly blew his loving brains out. "Fun!"

Can't wait until Snyder's Superfriends where he brings in the Wonder Twins, and he has Zan turn into yet another vessel of piss and Jayna becomes some abused shelter animal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

it's gross and weird and has no place in a movie like this

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

The exchange courtesy of IMDB

“Do you know the oldest lie in America, Senator? Can I call you June?”

“You can call me whatever you like. Take a bucket of piss and call it Granny's Peach Tea; take a weapon of assassination and call it deterrence. You won't fool a fly or me. I'm not gonna drink it.”

IRL I’ve heard a similar saying of “don’t piss on my boots and tell me it’s raining”, but in either case you’re accusing the other person of feeding you bullshit.

I've heard "Don't spit on my balls and tell me it's raining."

Now that would be a scene to see.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s a very interesting take on Lex.

It kind of isn’t, though. Muddled and scattershot and weird, maybe, but it adds up to an underwhelming less than the sum of his parts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah I wasn’t being sincere. Lex was one of the weaker(!) parts of that movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jesse Eisenberg did a better Lex performance in The Social Network

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Well yeah, Fincher is a vastly better director than Snyder.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What got me about his character was that the long flowing locks he had for most of the movie were supposed to be the character's actual hair. I seriously thought that it was going to be a wig.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You people act like Holly Hunter took a giant gulp and exaggeratedly said "Wait a minute something doesn't taste right!" right before the bomb went off.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I wish. That would have been a drastic improvement.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Roth posted:

The more I think about it, the better I think Batman v Superman would have worked if both Wonder Woman and Lex had been replaced with Amanda Waller.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Justice League is the jar of piss of films.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You people act like Holly Hunter took a giant gulp and exaggeratedly said "Wait a minute something doesn't taste right!" right before the bomb went off.

I don’t understand why you think it’s so unbelievable to think people think a large, visible jar of urine on screen in a movie is in bad taste, or why you need to downplay it with hyperbole.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The pee jar being in bad taste wasn't the problem. It being loving stupid, zooming in and lingering on it for like 15 seconds and adding nothing to the story was the problem.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I'd argue that it's both those things

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
So did Lex have a Henchman watching the Senate hearing just waiting for her to notice she was drinking piss before he set off the bomb?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's interminable. Senator Piss stutters and looks confused for what feels like five full minutes gradually turning the jar around and reading the label. This is only broken up because occasionally it cuts to Superman also looking confused.

Most scenes in that movie were either just plain bad or way too long and a lot of them were both.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

David D. Davidson posted:

What got me about his character was that the long flowing locks he had for most of the movie were supposed to be the character's actual hair. I seriously thought that it was going to be a wig.

It was a wig, I think he shaved his head early in the shoot.

I liked his performance (for the most part) and I really liked most of his subtle moves to establish dominance but the piss jar was just bad. It's such a stupid frat boy prank that it sticks out in possibly the most frat bro comic book movie in recent history.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

JT Smiley posted:

So did Lex have a Henchman watching the Senate hearing just waiting for her to notice she was drinking piss before he set off the bomb?

No, Mercy is there for literally no reason other than to get blown up. It adds nothing and exists only to kill a female character. Not for drama. Not to build up his ruthlessness (no one knows or reacts to her death). It's just to kill a female character for no reason at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was a Mercy killing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boo! Boo this man.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It was a wig, I think he shaved his head early in the shoot.

I know that but I mean that we were supposed to believe that that terrible wig was Lex Luthor's real hair. There was a scene at the end of the movie of somebody shaving it off his head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roth posted:

It was a Mercy killing

I'm staring at this like Holly Hunter

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Roth posted:

It was a Mercy killing

:discourse:

The piss joke is dumb, because as a joke, it's not funny. Being funny is essential to jokes, and it failed to hit that bar. What's more, it happens in a scene that should be menacing, they have a scene where someone realizes they're about to die, and add a poo poo unfunny joke to it because.......

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sure, we're clearly supposed to be thinking, "Oh, the savage wit of that Lex! Literalizing the Senator's own words and turning them against her just before he kills her! I love to hate this compelling, well-realized villain!"

Me, I was just laughing at the attempt to wring actual dramatic tension out of a jar of piss.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^ This is exactly what's wrong with the scene.

I think the idea was if Mercy was there he could pretend he didn't know it was going to happen but it was definitely supposed to prove his ruthlessness. Either way a fridging is a fridging and I was really hoping to see her kick some rear end before getting the Jimmy Olsen treatment (who shouldn't even have been in the movie since they clearly cast a woman to play him in the first one).

I know that but I mean that we were supposed to believe that that terrible wig was Lex Luthor's real hair. There was a scene at the end of the movie of somebody shaving it off his head.
Oh definitely, I was waiting the entire film for an reveal of some condition he was embarrassed of that would have some kind of relevance. I think I even let out a "wait, what!?" When they got to the shaving scene.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 15, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The thing is Zack Snyder seems to live under the delusion that he is some kind of auteur Micheal Bay but really isn't as clever as he thinks he is. See also Martha.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why did you say that :catstare:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The thing is Zack Snyder seems to live under the delusion that he is some kind of auteur Micheal Bay but really isn't as clever as he thinks he is. See also Martha.

I don't know which out of Snyder, Goyer, or Terrio came up with the Martha bit, but that's exactly the sort of plot point that only someone who's convinced he's being extremely clever could come up with, which makes it all the more amusing how badly it worked and how poorly it was received.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It's nice to know I called how dumb of an idea it was to structure the villain of a loving Justice League movie around loving Steppenwolf like two years ago.

Also lol https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/930828095078174720?s=17

It's pretty obvious that Steppenwolf was only chosen as the villain for the purpose of setting up Darkseid as the villain in the sequel, but it seems that most of that setup didn't make it into the final cut of the film.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lex feeding that guy a Jolly Rancher was a much better scene

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

It's pretty obvious that Steppenwolf was only chosen as the villain for the purpose of setting up Darkseid as the villain in the sequel, but it seems that most of that setup didn't make it into the final cut of the film.

I’m not sure it was ever there to be cut. Darkseid is mentioned once as a “for darkseid” statement. Never shown. Or explained / alluded who he is. Same with the New Gods. Just a quick name drop without context. The boom tubes aren’t explained either. Steppenwolf just uses them every now and then. No hint at the end of this “attack” being part of a bigger plan.

The post-credit scene is bad because I refuse to believe anyone on Earth can pose a threat to Superman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Well when it was originally going to be a two-parter, I think using Steppenwolf for the first part to set up Darkseid for the second makes sense.

But then they decided it wasn't going to be two parts, and forgot to change the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The idea of making Lex a send up of millenials when the character is definitively a representation of unchecked xenophobic white privilege struck me as pretty wrongheaded in general.

Him being a Hollywood Crazy Person that Batman heroically dooms to an abusive horror show of a mental health facility didn’t help much either.

• Locked thread