Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Once again it's up to Peru to save DOTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Give me ability draft pro tournaments and I’d have a reason to never play, only watch.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.esportstales.com/dota-2/playerbase-declining-707-effect-and-source-2

Confirms what we all basically suspected anyway: the bulk of players that have left the game over the past few years have mostly been from western Europe and the US. Poorer regions unaffected or even growing.

Actually, everything is fine.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.esportstales.com/dota-2/playerbase-declining-707-effect-and-source-2

Confirms what we all basically suspected anyway: the bulk of players that have left the game over the past few years have mostly been from western Europe and the US. Poorer regions unaffected or even growing.

because the game is poo poo and catered to retard casuals instead of being the niche game that is really hard to play well because it takes continuous subtle advantages to succeed, and not this hero arena bullshit we see now

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The incredibly rational racist boy: "Actually, the game needs more complicated esoteric features and tedious busywork. That will bring back the western ubermensch to beat back the yellow menace, who hate those things."

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Lmao

e: gas

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

wasnt the game more popular before they started to remove that stuff though? i suspect the remove of it is not directly the reason for people leaving but clearly it wasn't that much of an issue impeding the growth of the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've started playing DOTA recently and my thoughts are that the early matchmaking is very poor and the way it further handicaps you by restricting you to 15 heroes for quite a while is silly. Also the "tutorial" is basically non-existent, it just tries to make you play a few bot games as specific heroes. I definitely would've quit almost immediately if I didn't have an extremely patient friend to guide me through everything.

e: I am curious what stuff they removed to make it simpler because it's still a very inaccessible game.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Yeah, its been made simpler over time but Dota 2 is far and away the most complex of the popular MOBAs out there and I don't think that will be changing any time soon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've started playing DOTA recently and my thoughts are that the early matchmaking is very poor and the way it further handicaps you by restricting you to 15 heroes for quite a while is silly. Also the "tutorial" is basically non-existent, it just tries to make you play a few bot games as specific heroes. I definitely would've quit almost immediately if I didn't have an extremely patient friend to guide me through everything.

e: I am curious what stuff they removed to make it simpler because it's still a very inaccessible game.

There used to be a tutorial for some of the mechanics, but evidently they got rid of that for whatever reason.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I think Vainglory is probably the moba that handled intro stuff the best. There's short really basic uncomplicated tutorial, but for basically every concept, there was a short text blurb with an adjacent youtube thumbnail where a guy would demonstrate the concept being discussed in like 30 seconds. Same for every hero ability (which dota does have voiceless youtube clips for abilities in the hero guide section iirc). But this also covered stuff like the game's version of Roshan, how tower targetting worked, etc.

Like, it doesn't make you learn about tower targetting, but if you ever wonder 'why do towers do this', there is literally a button right there for it.

Like, Vainglory is a puddle deep mobile moba that is basically a sawed-off 3v3 League of Legends, but it handled this really really well and it took like no effort for me to install the app and pickup the game and clean up in that game. I don't get what the barrier is to doing something like that for DotA, other than that stuff keeps changing.

I know that's why the old 'play as sniper/dragon knight' tutorials got canned - patches kept breaking or changing stuff that they taught about, and Valve didn't keep them up to date.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I cannot imagine trying to learn this game without having friends show you how to play.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

I know that's why the old 'play as sniper/dragon knight' tutorials got canned - patches kept breaking or changing stuff that they taught about, and Valve didn't keep them up to date.

Also the sniper/DK tutorials were boring as poo poo and didn't teach anything about the actual game of Dota. It just showed you a bunch of basic concepts with no context. The maps themselves was pretty neat though and if they actually spent time redesigning tutorial maps to look/play more like a compact, single-player dota map then it could work.

Valve has neglected so much they really should just spend like 3-4 months and fix all the poo poo they've abandoned in the last 3 years, including (but not limited to): custom games, in-depth tutorials, player profiles, social system/guilds, and dashboard UI.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

And then when they're done with that they can revert every gameplay patch from the last three years and beg Icefrog to come back we still love you please talk to us

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 15, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

uninverted posted:

I cannot imagine trying to learn this game without having friends show you how to play.

Luckily I have Purge videos I can periodically listen to before I go into a coma from listening to his insanely drab voice.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

They need to bring back guilds and random drops.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
They need to reskin the ice ogre to look like Ogre Magi, same with the big centaur guy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
All this talk when according to the graph its clear we need more PERU, SEA and CHINA and less USA.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
They need to let me use the old style ui and hero portraits so I can make people mad when I link them screenshots of my favorite heroes, Bradwarden and Tresdin and Goondar

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The real issue killing Dota 2 is that they call their champions heroes. Fix that and the players will come rolling in.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
How's league of legends call them champions instead of legends

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Ancients in Defense of the Ancients is the base cores, so it stands to reason the Legends of LoL are the summoners/summoner cores, not the tiny fantasy men they abuse

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Barracks house troops but when you kill the enemy barracks your troops get stronger

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

The Ancients in Defense of the Ancients is the base cores, so it stands to reason the Legends of LoL are the summoners/summoner cores, not the tiny fantasy men they abuse

Didn't they never flesh out the whole summoner thing and then drop it completely when they realized that an infinity of nameless faceless people playing weird bad arena game makes less sense than saying ON THIS ETERNAL BATTLEFIELD in a soul caliber voice

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Didn't they never flesh out the whole summoner thing and then drop it completely when they realized that an infinity of nameless faceless people playing weird bad arena game makes less sense than saying ON THIS ETERNAL BATTLEFIELD in a soul caliber voice

Iirc their current lore guys basically said "LoL is not canon to the LoL lore", so the fantasy setting is now divorced from league matches

It's whatever though because no moba has had an actually good story, at best some neat concepts in bio blurbs

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Reality Winner posted:

Barracks house troops but when you kill the enemy barracks your troops get stronger
The creeps are a psychological imposition of the Ancients on the minds of the heroes as a quasi-physical externalisation of the mastery of their own abilities. That's why they feel significantly more Daunted when their "barracks" are gone and take more damage. Duh.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

jBrereton posted:

The creeps are a psychological imposition of the Ancients on the minds of the heroes as a quasi-physical externalisation of the mastery of their own abilities. That's why they feel significantly more Daunted when their "barracks" are gone and take more damage. Duh.

This is is also the in-universe reason for why your jungler dies to camps after someone on the team insults him

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Iirc their current lore guys basically said "LoL is not canon to the LoL lore", so the fantasy setting is now divorced from league matches

It's whatever though because no moba has had an actually good story, at best some neat concepts in bio blurbs

Clinkz has the best character bio of any character from any video game, though

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

jBrereton posted:

That reminds me, I thought the whole thing with creeps being normal people who got warped into mind slaves was kinda cool.

Death Bot posted:

Clinkz has the best character bio of any character from any video game, though

You mean Troll.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

The incredibly rational racist boy: "Actually, the game needs more complicated esoteric features and tedious busywork. That will bring back the western ubermensch to beat back the yellow menace, who hate those things."

hey look, guy with a lovely avatar goes straight for the pointless ad hominems instead of addressing the fact that western dota has died and all the changes to bring a new generation of blood into the casual scene and pro scene has done exactly not that, at the expense of the dotards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

JollyPubJerk posted:

hey look, guy with a lovely avatar goes straight for the pointless ad hominems instead of addressing the fact that western dota has died and all the changes to bring a new generation of blood into the casual scene and pro scene has done exactly not that, at the expense of the dotards

Excuse me? Dota isn't dwindling in literally all the countries you hate. In fact, DOTA is growing around here, loving amazing how you believe spamming slurs in all your games will bring a new generation.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turboraton posted:

Excuse me? Dota isn't dwindling in literally all the countries you hate. In fact, DOTA is growing around here, loving amazing how you believe spamming slurs in all your games will bring a new generation.

hey look, another idiot doubling down on ignorant ad hominems

Go through my post history and there is no shortage of my desire to play in CN again, or even settling for RUS or SEA. (I could do without EUE though.. that server was always weird). NA dota is downright low skill and unplayable, especially so for anyone who plays an unselfish playstyle

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2017/research/multiplayer-video-games/

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think what hurts dota the most is how little valve cares, or seems to care, about it. They don't communicate at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Out of curiosity: about how sped up are Turbo games? I love to watch Dota as an esport, but sort of gave up on actually playing it for HotS instead lately.

Turns out, doing All-Hero Challenge in the regular queue without any friends twice over will spur you on the game, because you’re either playing heroes you aren’t good with in ranked and tanking your own rating, or playing unranked and losing because of the social experiment that is Dota (people who don’t get their preferred lane and wander around feeding, carries who saw CM get 1 CS and give up and sit in fountain awaiting the loss, etc).

Given that 95% of my games tend to be dramatic stomps for one side or the other with very few enjoyably competitive struggles, I was thinking I should probably do my all hero bullshit in Turbo and leave regular queue for actual strategy and counter picking.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What mechanics have they actually made simpler?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Cuntellectual posted:

I think what hurts dota the most is how little valve cares, or seems to care, about it. They don't communicate at all.

Valve has never ever been a communicative company though. Steam doesn't even have a customer support phone number.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

UAMs are now completely dead (and have been dying for awhile now). Farther back, the simplification of damage and armor types.

You could also sort of argue that the gold/XP changes are in the broad direction of making it easier to get gold and XP, but that one's harder to make a case for.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Also, courier no longer has to be upgraded. Just babysat sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Not all that much in the grand scheme of things. Off the top of my head, the following have been simplified or removed:
shrines make regen less vital to early game
simplifying damage/armour types
roshan drops cheese earlier I guess?
no more orbs/attack modifier restrictions in 7.07
no more bottle-crowing in 7.07
free courier upgrade in 7.07

JPJ is just mad because for the last ~3 years, dota has put an emphasis on grouping up and taking fights/objectives rather than static lanes and farming/stacking, and he hates it. A brief summary going by memory:
slightly upped passive gold gain
cost of TPs, couriers, and wards decreased a lot (but went up a bit in 7.07)
reduced xp/gold from lane and jungle creeps (but increased in 7.07)
increased hero/assist kill gold/xp
introduction of ''rubberband kill gold" if your team is behind, making comebacks more achievable
changes to the offlane making it easier to contest
more utility/support items which make supports (and your team in general) more important in the late game. And having to depend on randos can be pretty awful given the reputation of the dota community