Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

Remember that Fludd has a goddamn death scene at the end of Sunshine for no real reason.

And then immediately got repaired afterwards. Like what was even the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love Seaside Kingdom. I love the music, and how it deafens when you dive underwater. I love the transformations. I love exploring the reef and running on the water.

It's so good guys.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: the part with the glider guy

i always gently caress up that part

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Waaaaaa

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PantsBandit posted:

I love Seaside Kingdom. I love the music, and how it deafens when you dive underwater. I love the transformations. I love exploring the reef and running on the water.

It's so good guys.

This games super charming in a lot of ways..the fork people, programmed robot gardeners, Goombas in love, the rubber ducky sfx on the seaside song, dorris always wearing a top hat, etc. I love this game

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo i've done it, i've 100% super mario odyssey. all 880 moons the proper way, all coins, loving everything. what a loving game. beat hard mode bowser too, no new ending but you do get a little something extra, if anyone was curious. darker side is easy once you get used to it, the fog and bird poking area are really loving easy if you dont hit the beam things. the loving thank you sign had me terrified because i thought something was gonna pop out somewhere or some poo poo.

85 hours baby. now what do i do with my meaningless life.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bef posted:

This games super charming in a lot of ways..the fork people, programmed robot gardeners, Goombas in love, the rubber ducky sfx on the seaside song, dorris always wearing a top hat, etc. I love this game

Lady Goombas are so shallow. It should be about his personality not how many goombas tall he is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I like Cappy being all helpful and reading from the action guide between worlds

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurtofan posted:

i always gently caress up that part

That part was easy once I realized you don't stop at the tornadoes. Never stop gliding. The mosquito positions seem a bit random though which is annoying. I've hit one when getting thrown into the air offscreen

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

If any of you are still struggling with Darker Side, I found this guide really helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nyFu1kud-s

I kept loving up the block-push-out section until this showed me the safest route.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has anything been said about potential DLC?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Two random things I just found out after playing this game for 40+ hours:

1: You can enter the exhaust pipe on the Odyssey to enter it from above
2: If you butt stomp onto a pipe and hit L right when you make contact, your momentum won't stop and you get a different sound effect.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

And then immediately got repaired afterwards. Like what was even the point of that?

Sunshine was not a well-written game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

late to the thread but i will not stand for people disrespecting my good friend cappy

also the glider segment of darker side is the easiest segment? you literally just hold B and aim for the tornadoes. never stop holding b. don't hold up, don't hold back. just move left and right. there is only ever like one bug that could possibly ever hit you on the way to each tornado. i feel like people are just over complicating this part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Oh hey, here's that note line along this ridge that I saw in the thread, just gotta roll along and...ah poo poo, I fell. Wait..."

:stare:

"THAT'S where it is, huh?"

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

How are you guys so "good" at this game that it has taken you this long to find Deep Woods? I'm so derp I fell off an edge within about 5 minutes of getting to that kingdom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair there's only specific parts where you can fall off and get taken to deep woods. The other 70% of the map kills you when you fall off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I had the terrible realization today that the moon get jingle and 64's star get jingle are literally the same melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvf21wYzxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h82y8vMqrWk

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 16, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Same rhythm, different key/melody.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is anyone else struggling with the hatless sections due to muscle memory trying to do hat throw->dive?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is anyone else struggling with the hatless sections due to muscle memory trying to do hat throw->dive?

Yes, the hatless sections are also designed to make you really miss having a hat.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I fully finished this with all moons yesterday and now I have a hat-shaped void in my life. What an amazing game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think the hatless sections are really loving clever BECAUSE you get so used to using the hat. The one on the Dark Side of the Moon where you do that one bullet bill stage without your hat is one of my favorite stages in the entire game. Getting the bonus moon on that stage was SO awesome.

That being said, I don't know what they're gonna do the next time a Mario game comes out. Cappy's added movement just feels RIGHT it's honestly gonna feel like Mario is gimped a little when he doesn't have Cappy anymore. Likewise, I feel like they need to incorporate Cappy into the Smash moveset now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Took me a few post-work nights, but finally beat Darker Side *cough* and got enough coins for skeleton suit. The Glidon part became easy when I realized how easily I could control him to avoid the mosquitoes and then steer & dive into the lower part of the tornadoes and hold back on the control stick while I was in them before I set my sights on the next tornado. Laser part in the pipe was often random bullshit, but I just needed practice to avoid everything and escape with enough health. Pokio part became manageable when I learned to flick when its beak was straight and using the shake jump for that final push.

Now I can relax and leisurely seek out the other 377 moons I don't have.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

:cool:

http://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/930933511871127552

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

veni veni veni posted:

Lady Goombas are so shallow. It should be about his personality not how many goombas tall he is.
It's not. :ssh: There's a lady Goomba in Sand Kingdom post-game who you can walk up to as a single Goomba and make her fall in love. :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Goombette just needs to be able to see a goomba at eye level. The only reason you need to stack them is because she is usually on a ledge you can't jump onto as a goomba.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone not ground-pound her new boyfriend and his stack of bro's to death afterwards?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do I have to waggle? I don't like waggling and swore it off after my Wii obsession from a decade ago.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beat the game tonight, fun stuff! Got it a little over a week ago. Less than 300 moons at the moment, anyhoo cool game! Super Mario 3D World I found really good too, less far off from the quality of this game than one might figure. And I still think Super Mario 64 is the best one. Welp, here's to the next Mario game! And while not going for 100%, more Marioing to be done here.

And New Donk City is the highpoint of the game for me for sure, that was rad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Do I have to waggle? I don't like waggling and swore it off after my Wii obsession from a decade ago.
To get some moons, unfortunately yes. Usually just a single motion though, like to do the higher jump as a frog. Most captures you don't need to at all, the ones I can think of are the frog, Goomba (both jumps), the bullet bill (faster speed, which might be required sometimes, although I've gotten a lot of moons without it), the plant dude I think?

There are a few times that the game prompts you to use motion controls, but which you can substitute mashing Y for (climbing faster, for instance). There are also some actions which there are no button substitutes for, but which you don't need to use (so it's not as big a deal): the circular cap throw, the homing cap throw and the upwards cap throw.

I do hope they patch that out, I don't mind it so much but it would be nice to have a button input for the higher frog jump or the faster bullet bill.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Waggling makes some moons easier but I think there's always a way around it. There's a couple where you'd be pretty crazy not to just waggle.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
(very very end spoilers) I just noticed that Pauline is wearing a Mario hat after you finish the Darker Side. Is there anything else different that I missed?

Edit: also, for comparison, I bought 4 hints from the hint toad, talked to the parrot about 20 times, and used the internet for 10 purple coins.

Argue fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 16, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I think the hatless sections are really loving clever BECAUSE you get so used to using the hat. The one on the Dark Side of the Moon where you do that one bullet bill stage without your hat is one of my favorite stages in the entire game. Getting the bonus moon on that stage was SO awesome.

That being said, I don't know what they're gonna do the next time a Mario game comes out. Cappy's added movement just feels RIGHT it's honestly gonna feel like Mario is gimped a little when he doesn't have Cappy anymore. Likewise, I feel like they need to incorporate Cappy into the Smash moveset now

It's not too different from FLUDD or even the Galaxy spin, it seems they generally tack a gimmick onto the controls derived from Mario 64 in most games now, but can revert to the basics for challenges.

Kinda funny how Mario 64 got the basics so rock solid right the first time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda funny how Mario 64 got the basics so rock solid right the first time.

People who say 64 didn't age well are insane, like yeah the graphics aren't the best but the actual gameplay is rock solid (which i just realized is the exact word choice you used to lol, but its the perfect way to describe it)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
No joke I didn’t really play any main 3D Mario games between 64 and Odyssey and feeling right at home with the controls blew me away. I can also really appreciate how Cappy is an extension to Mario’s moveset and the gimmick part is entirely removed from how Mario plays

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm missing 1 coin in Sand Kingdom. :doh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nina posted:

No joke I didn’t really play any main 3D Mario games between 64 and Odyssey and feeling right at home with the controls blew me away. I can also really appreciate how Cappy is an extension to Mario’s moveset and the gimmick part is entirely removed from how Mario plays

Oh you poor soul :ohdear:. At the very least you should play the first Galaxy game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
From the Switch thread:
one, lmao at this existing, little froggy is just valiantly swimming in midair

two, lmao at this existing, you could probably trigger it by accident in the first five minutes of the game (to no useful effect, but still)

three, just lmao in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

From the Switch thread:

one, lmao at this existing, little froggy is just valiantly swimming in midair

two, lmao at this existing, you could probably trigger it by accident in the first five minutes of the game (to no useful effect, but still)

three, just lmao in general

holy shiiiiiiiiiiit lol

• Locked thread