Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Poil posted:

Or they could do what other 4x space games have done and just give all ships space for ground troops depending on their size.

poo poo, Endless Space 2 even has "manpower", ripped straight from Paradox's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/930814550840143872

:argh: Wiz :argh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ascension perks, surveying and communications sound pretty cool, too. I don't mind seeing what changes they have for them.

Plus, now we can keep arguing speculating on combat for the next couple of weeks.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Goodbye Star Charts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hello... communications access as a trade item??

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd be pretty happy with armies being replaced with Sword of the Star's style planet bombing, where the type of weapons you're using influences how quickly the planet's people crack under the pressure (or just all get murdered). Advanced weapons like bomber wings, torpedo's and over-sized cannons good, lighting lasers not so good.

But this is mostly an excuse to lead into giving us giant space guns that fire asteroids as a doomsday planet besieging weapon. :getin:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like the idea of making troops a kind of hangar slot option, look at star wars with those stormtrooper scenes in the various bays. Although this would make early game wars very weird, so maybe they should be an aux slot.

at the same time I like the feeling of having individual legions and generals. I have some snailens who's assembly of clans is cool, and they're super tough on the ground. I just had some hairy fights with some rear end in a top hat squids, but my glory-seeking general fought back the onslaught and chased them home.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, it's a bit early to speculate, but generally I feel like three things would help the current army system which would be a significant (70-90%) reduction in the number of armies that could be built, some kind of template set up so you could skip the fiddly annoyance that is the attachments system, and more automation in how invasions work; something like a reduction or elimination of the need for orbital bombardment prior to invasion, an "invade enemy planets" tooltip from the galaxy map, and possibly shifting the purpose of orbital bombardment from suppressing ground defences to straight up murder depending on whether it's importance in ground assaults is kept or not.

Though I doubt things will be kept close to how they are now, so this speculative fix is probably pointless.

E: Also getting rid of "Defence Armies," which seem kinda pointless.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 15, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thank god, this has always bothered me. Like, why can't we steal their cable and figure out what alien species their news is talking about?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MShadowy posted:

something like a reduction or elimination of the need for orbital bombardment prior to invasion

Once you get to the point where you can build clone armies, you don't need to bombard anymore anyway. It's much faster to bombard planets, but you can just send a stack of 50 clones at each planet once you've cleared the spaceport. They'll take some losses, but they build so fast that it's easy enough to build another stack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, non-ground-invasion options would be good. Like, maybe having general traits with abilities for bloodless invasions, negotiations with planetary governors, that sort of thing. "surrender or we annihilate your ground forces with orbital bombardment", etc

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Once you get to the point where you can build clone armies, you don't need to bombard anymore anyway. It's much faster to bombard planets, but you can just send a stack of 50 clones at each planet once you've cleared the spaceport. They'll take some losses, but they build so fast that it's easy enough to build another stack.

Yeah, I remember reading that tip somewhere in this thread; I guess the point of the suggestion (as well as the point of dropping a few hundred clone armies onto planets you want) is that the bombardment system is kind of a fiddly mess that needlessly demands player attention, so why not just automate it out of the way? Let your ground forces do everything or at least need the fleet less, which would probably also help the AI since you couldn't just trap their fleet in pointlessly bombarding a planet by fragging all their transports.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MShadowy posted:

Well, it's a bit early to speculate, but generally I feel like three things would help the current army system which would be a significant (70-90%) reduction in the number of armies that could be built, some kind of template set up so you could skip the fiddly annoyance that is the attachments system, and more automation in how invasions work; something like a reduction or elimination of the need for orbital bombardment prior to invasion, an "invade enemy planets" tooltip from the galaxy map, and possibly shifting the purpose of orbital bombardment from suppressing ground defences to straight up murder depending on whether it's importance in ground assaults is kept or not.

Though I doubt things will be kept close to how they are now, so this speculative fix is probably pointless.

you could have it set up so that orbital bombardment is most effective in situations where the enemy is heavily entrenched. If there's not any war infrastructure on the planet, what is there to bomb? Obviously apocalypse bombs would get dropped by fanatics anyway. Maybe make it so orbital bombardment can let you get away with stretching very few armies?

If armies were slots in ships you could have situations like armies + strike craft synchronize well with each other, and depending on loadout give a bonus. I also like the idea of using marines to board space based things of various kinds, especially starbases. If you can drop guys into a base you could do stuff like have the fleet back off while they take it from the inside. I guess troops would act like a poison attack in a sense. Then you could have counters like stationing armies in them yourself, or maybe even a building like a defense matrix or something

Maybe you can only use troops against static space installations, but you can do research that allows you to bring troop strength to bear against enemy ships, like "assault transport" or something. Having bombers and fighters support ground or space assaults. Although you should not be able to use things like space amoebas to support ground attacks.

I like that there are generals, and if anything I would be pleased if they had more use. Generals are like the least important leader type imo. When the early game first came out I liked that some empire types got honor guards named after the ruler. One time I even recruited titan honor guards, that was cool as gently caress. I had a game where the only armies I recruited were a tag team of honor guards of various species who would wreck planets. Not that I expect it to come back, but having armies be another kind of gun in a ship really downgrades them, thematically.

unrelated but I was enlightening some early space age guys when a meteor came to make them extinct. I blew it up of course, because I had already invested a lot of energy and research in them. It still had flavor text along the lines of "our non-interference research may come to an end, what should we do?" Then I blew it up and it was all "They have no idea what we've done for them, and they never will" then a year later they're blasting out a ton of corvettes. If you're actively enlightening them you should probably get a boost to enlightenment rate because they're so impressed with your space lasers and saving them from extinction

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wiz read our ideas and is panic implementing them.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I hope they're revamping the pops system. I find going through and upgrading buildings to be pretty tedious, and outside if mid-late game super-specialization it's pretty much no-brainer busy work. I do however like the mod that gives more planet modifiers, and I think extending bonuses to specific tiles would make things more interesting.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Trivia posted:

I hope they're revamping the pops system. I find going through and upgrading buildings to be pretty tedious, and outside if mid-late game super-specialization it's pretty much no-brainer busy work. I do however like the mod that gives more planet modifiers, and I think extending bonuses to specific tiles would make things more interesting.

I'm pretty sure Wiz has said this is on the list of things he'd like to change, along with ground combat. But almost certainly not for this update, which itself is 'a long way off'.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Wiz read our ideas and is panic implementing them.
More likely to be panic face palming and vomiting all over his screen. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Trivia posted:

I'm trying an autobuild mod that seems to work okay, at least with my limited understanding of the game.

The next door xenophile fallen empire asked me to send some of my people for their endangered species "zoo" and I agreed because I don't want to make them mad.

EDIT: I need a Stellaris version of the Rainbow Bridge poem. :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

Uh. Why not both? :shrug:

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm trying an autobuild mod that seems to work okay, at least with my limited understanding of the game.

The next door xenophile fallen empire asked me to send some of my people for their endangered species "zoo" and I agreed because I don't want to make them mad.

EDIT: I need a Stellaris version of the Rainbow Bridge poem. :smith:

Get huge, then invade and occupy the xenophiles, then move your population off the newly taken "Sanctuary" system.

"It took over a hundred years citizens, but you're finally free!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thyrork posted:

Get huge, then invade and occupy the xenophiles, then move your population off the newly taken "Sanctuary" system.

"It took over a hundred years citizens, but you're finally free!"

Wait, there's an actual planet in their empire with my people on it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, there's an actual planet in their empire with my people on it?

Yes. Along with many other species.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I remember one game where by the time I liberated the pop I had to give up early in the game my people had become glorious supergenius tortoise-gods who probably saw the original model turtle people in the space zoo the way we see chimpanzees.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Decided to try out that one planet strategy that’s all the rage these days. Ran into a Determined Exterminator on year 1, just three systems away from me.

Now I know why it’s called this way: because you won’t get to see a second planet before you die.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ephemeron posted:

Decided to try out that one planet strategy that’s all the rage these days. Ran into a Determined Exterminator on year 1, just three systems away from me.

Now I know why it’s called this way: because you won’t get to see a second planet before you die.

That's rough, yeah, but not a death sentence. Shoulda been doable with a small fleet and your spaceport.

My one planet game had me sandwiched between two Fanatical Purifiers, but I managed to play my closest neighbors off against them with some strategic NAPs and rivalries.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I can fairly comfortably beat one of the Contingency 70k stacks even though it takes me from 90k to 25k. I figure I can probably just keep doing that and pumping out Battleships back home to replace losses. But from what I've read the local universe dominating Awakened Empire who vassalized me like a century ago should be going on a full out assault against them? That hasn't happened. Also are they going to take control of the overwhelmingly powerful exterminator robot empire because if they do uhhh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taking Guardian of the galaxy is really good for fighting threats. I usually always leave a slot open so I can grab it when they show up, or grab galactic contender if the FE's go crazy on me too soon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

If he's face palming and vomiting at the same time then how is the vomit supposed to reach his screen? You've ruined my immersion as badly as Wiz's palm-deflected projectile vomiting ruined everything to the immediate left and right of him.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I can fairly comfortably beat one of the Contingency 70k stacks even though it takes me from 90k to 25k. I figure I can probably just keep doing that and pumping out Battleships back home to replace losses. But from what I've read the local universe dominating Awakened Empire who vassalized me like a century ago should be going on a full out assault against them? That hasn't happened. Also are they going to take control of the overwhelmingly powerful exterminator robot empire because if they do uhhh

If the AE woke up long before the crisis it won't necessarily try to take the fight to the Contingency. The Guardian of the Galaxy awakening is a separate event, and as far as I know only happens for the Xenophile/Materialist empires and not the Xenophobe/Spiritualist ones. I don't know the mechanics of the Machine FE, but in my game, they immediately started opposing the Contingency with the power of an AE when it arrived, and disappeared once the crisis was dealt with, leaving me three (damaged) ringworlds to (repair and) populate.

Also in my game both AEs didn't bother to attack the Contingency worlds until I'd already cleared out the fleet and stations guarding them and taken all the losses for it. They did aggressively stomp out the roving ~100k fleets though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

If he's face palming and vomiting at the same time then how is the vomit supposed to reach his screen? You've ruined my immersion as badly as Wiz's palm-deflected projectile vomiting ruined everything to the immediate left and right of him.
Just... hold the hand in from the side?

Or is that not a proper face palm? It does still put the palm over most of the face. :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

Just... hold the hand in from the side?

Or is that not a proper face palm? It does still put the palm over most of the face. :ohdear:
Come to think of it he probably has three screens, so vomiting on the side screens leaves the centre screen free to work on. Meaning the right answer is

Thyrork posted:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Guess it'll be much harder to find who has what defense pacts or to pick off federation association members before they can join the federation.

(federation association status is usually a big "KICK ME" sign because the federation won't defend them and they usually lost their defense pacts when the federation formed)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Magil Zeal posted:

Also in my game both AEs didn't bother to attack the Contingency worlds until I'd already cleared out the fleet and stations guarding them and taken all the losses for it. They did aggressively stomp out the roving ~100k fleets though.

That was my experience, too. The AE's just attacked Contingency fleets and conquered planets, but left the home systems completely alone even though at several points they had enough strength to make a go at it. I think it's got to be hardcoded in their AI so they won't win the crisis for you singlehandedly.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nevets posted:

That was my experience, too. The AE's just attacked Contingency fleets and conquered planets, but left the home systems completely alone even though at several points they had enough strength to make a go at it. I think it's got to be hardcoded in their AI so they won't win the crisis for you singlehandedly.

In my last game that made it this far I used this behaviour to hold the galaxy hostage since one of the AEs (which I was neighbouring) hated my guts but wouldn't do anything about it since the crisis hadn't been resolved. Instead I picked off smaller rivals when their larger protectors got the poo poo kicked out of them then let Contingency fleets that weren't attacking me slowly take over and purge enemy worlds in larger opponents before swooping in and taking them for myself.

Borderline exploit, sure. But why not let my enemies do all the work for me?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah turns out the AE is going to sit on its rear end while the Contingency planets send every one of their fleets after my planets with surgical precision while ignoring everyone else in the galaxy. That's cool and I'm remaining ironically detached and not mad at all. lol!!!!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My last contingency game was fun. I was playing a synth empire when the war in heaven started, got 2/3 of my fleet destroyed by the AE empire next to me & surrendered to them. Spent the next couple decades building back up and right before I was going to declare independence my overlord goes to war against another AE. Figure I'll stay out of it & have an easier time going independent after the war is over but before that happens the Contingency pops. This was before the hotfix patches, so my entire empire of nothing but synths gets -75% resource production, and the special projects to mitigate it never showed up. If I hadn't already built a Dyson sphere it would have been game over, as it was it took forever to rebuild my fleet after each engagement. Finally popped the nearby Contingecy world by jumping in a corvette on opposite edge of the system to draw the defensive fleet away so I wouldn't have to deal with them right away, jumped in my fleet & took out the orbital defense then retreated to rebuild, went back again and destroyed it all. The reduced fleet spawn rate & synth debuff gave me enough breathing room to let me build up my fleet so that I wasn't taking 50% casualties every engagement, and once the other two nearby machine worlds were dealt with I left the last one alive on the other side of the galaxy until I had taken enough territory that I won the game when I eventually blew it up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/931131045214392321

-Basic Ascension Perks (i.e., not related to any DLC-added ascension path?) are not available to all to make building on the system easier.
-Simply "having communications" with an empire makes every system in their empire count as surveyed. (Not explicitly mentioned but I assume that this is really "any system they have surveyed in their borders" and not all systems, whether they've surveyed or not wait I think this would never happen because you need to survey a system to claim it.)
-Trading Communications replaces (really absorbs) trading Star Charts and also puts you in contact with any empire they have contact with (not sure if this means you get Communications (the trade item) with them too).

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 16, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GunnerJ posted:

-Basic Ascension Perks (i.e., not related to any DLC-added ascension path?) are not available to all to make building on the system easier.

I think there's a typo or this is a little awkwardly worded - Ascension perks, the basic ones, are available to everyone now so that they can build off the system. The more powerful paths and others introduced by separate DLC will remain exclusive to those who have the appropriate expansions.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I paid for Utopia Wiz how dare you give my paid content to freeloaders this is an outrage I'm going straight to Reddit

So Communications, what happens when it runs out? Do I lose the "surveyed" status on the planets in their borders? Ignore this I'm an idiot and need to get new glasses

Korgan fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 16, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I had no idea that unsurveyed systems within other empire borders couldn't show anomalies. Makes auto-survey kinda useless, since you usually get it at a point where you have contact with most empires.

Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think there's a typo or this is a little awkwardly worded - Ascension perks, the basic ones, are available to everyone now so that they can build off the system. The more powerful paths and others introduced by separate DLC will remain exclusive to those who have the appropriate expansions.

Yeah, they liked the mechanic so much that they wanted to include it in the base game. Presumably that means they will be balancing around ascension perks and adding more trees. On that note, the ascension tree either needs to be expanded or rogue servitors could use a wee debuff. Their unity income is off the charts.

It's nice to see surveying made less opaque. Really wish they had done that earlier. It's a fun mechanic but drat frustrating as a beginner. I couldn't understand why anomalies disappeared in the mid-game and actually completing a precursor quest chain was a pipe dream.

canepazzo posted:

I had no idea that unsurveyed systems within other empire borders couldn't show anomalies. Makes auto-survey kinda useless, since you usually get it at a point where you have contact with most empires.

Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Edit because I can't read right:
No, but systems first surveyed by any other AI can't show anomalies when you discover them later. The game just doesn't communicate this in any way.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 16, 2017

• Locked thread