Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

omg is this caro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Here we gooooooooooooooooooooooo!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh. His account is 10 years old. Guess he’s just a colossal dumbass

Enjoy the health problems from rucking as a boot in a unit at Bragg or Campbell until your late 20s/30s bones and ligaments shriek in pain for the sake of not wanting to just go read a goon weightlifting program for free

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

What did you do as a PL day to day? What kinda bullshit did you have to deal with vs that of your men? What about the other officers?

Other officers: they're all generally worthless, but a battalion comprised mainly of west pointers managed to set the bar so low that geologists are still trying to find the loving thing.

Bullshit: I had to write at least 1 incident report a week, generally because a soldier:
a) beat his wife, then yelled to the MPs that he had done so
b) went AWOL to Canada, and got picked up by the RCMP
c) got caught stealing credit cards at a local resort
d) got another DUI, and was finally getting thrown out
e) got in a fight with some locals and ended up in the hospital
f) stole something from his roommate, who (rightfully) called the cops
e) trashed a hotel room on-post, netting a call from the garrison CSM straight to my office
f) pissed in his roommate's locker/all over his gear while hammered
g) came up hot for a drug test, and had to start his chapter paperwork

Other bullshit:
a) all of the goddamn property investigations (FLIPLs) resulting from CIF loving up the issuing of their deployment gear, and recording that everyone had 2x basic issue of stuff on the previous
deployment
b) a commander whose only guidance to me in writing range plans/MOIs was "You'd best have this unfucked by our morning meeting tomorrow!". This typically came around 4:30/5 PM, so I'd end
up at work until 7:30/8:00PM on a weeknight
c) picking up soldiers from the police station (related to a bunch of the above). On Wainwright only an E7 or higher could do that, and my PSG was an E6...
d) Our platoons were so critically undermanned that 1 of them just got rolled into the others. This led me to be the PL for all 3 of our platoons at one point another, which necessitated gear layouts
for every handoff. A stryker platoon has a TON of gear, so each of these probably wasted around 3-4 days apiece.
e) our CSM couldn't figure out which PSG should go to which platoon, which resulted in me never having a PSG long enough to even be able to write him an NCOER (not even a change-of-rater one)
f) throw a good soldier out of the army based on the army's bullshit height/weight standards, despite the fact they were passing PT tests and he could easily do a 12-mile ruck march with
his own gear + 2 more soldiers on his back
g) actually had my commander tell his PLs that "he didn't want to give anyone the illusion that we were in charge of anything"
h) one of my training plans went off-rails when our commander decided to argue for over an hour with a bunch of NCO's on the proper way to walk with a rifle at the high-ready
i) my commander banned any PT program outside of the bog-standard army PT (which is utter garbage, mind you) because me and the other PL outscored him on our PT test

Those are the ones that come to mind now, and that I haven't managed to erase with copious amounts of rum yet. I loving hated every second of being a PL, and felt like I got lied to by literally everyone that said "that was my favorite job in the army!". Give me a loving break, that job left me with massive depression issues and was almost a contributing factor to me putting a bullet in my own skull when I was in Afghanistan. Thankfully a good chaplain found me, talked me down, and got me sent back to a base with a psychologist and psychiatrist on-staff that were able to guide me through things enough to get me back to the states.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

In the navy, your packs are carried round like a lovely big boat with engines. In the infantry, you carry your pack and armour until it grinds your joints into a fine white paste. Why would you want to do that?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
loving :laffo: go for it dude, be combat arms and protect the hell out of all of us

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

goddamn

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

In the two minutes it took to write my post, ten people told you not to do it. A message even an infantryman should be able to hear :allears:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I even broke it down into bullet points. This is a skill that was wasted on trying to convey info to stupid people who were prepared to risk your life for the stupidest of reasons, leaving some of your former soldiers dead and a fair number more maimed for life.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

enjoy being yelled at by 20 year olds while you destroy all motor function

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I've been out too long. I needed to see this. I'm glad you are still around. gently caress all of that poo poo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If you really want to help the country go federal employee. If you want to just improve the lives of Americans be a police officer or a firefighter. You’re not 18 any more. Don’t be a boot

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
poo poo, those are just highlights. The daily toil of infantry life is so depressingly, soul-crushingly grinding that the average infantry officer gets the gently caress out of the army at the first opportunity. If you're absolutely dead set on joining the army we can't talk you out of it, but at the least we can hopefully convince you to not go into the goddamn infantry.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you got out of the navy because you didn’t want to be in the navy anymore, don’t join the loving army.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

poo poo, those are just highlights. The daily toil of infantry life is so depressingly, soul-crushingly grinding that the average infantry officer gets the gently caress out of the army at the first opportunity. If you're absolutely dead set on joining the army we can't talk you out of it, but at the least we can hopefully convince you to not go into the goddamn infantry.

I'm p sure I can figure out how to fly a loving helicopter or sham as a linguist. First part is cool and I can put guys in and get em out. Second part gets me a clearance I think.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Life isn't loving call of duty retard

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Life isn't loving call of duty retard

Yeah no poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SHIM GET IN HERE

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*joins to protect the country*

*Invades North Korea*

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm p sure I can figure out how to fly a loving helicopter or sham as a linguist. First part is cool and I can put guys in and get em out. Second part gets me a clearance I think.

:laffo:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're retarded, go away

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Viva Miriya posted:

You are exactly what they are looking for in the infantry.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Alright well thanks for talking to me on this. Appreciate it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Come back and post here after you gently caress your life up some more

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've got an idea, he could join the CCCs!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

'cause suicide is painless

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Viva Miriya posted:

Helicopters are great but I hope you're ready for

A) a turbo hosed back and knees
B) no climate control (in a Blackhawk at least) so when it's hot as gently caress you're hot as gently caress too
C) same with cold (ask me about a door gunner who got frostbite and is now nicknamed "Fingers")
D) if you want to fly fancy rear end apaches and GET SUM BRO I hope you're prepared to spend the rest of your career with migraines from trying to use each eye to read and understand different things at one time (dubbed "the apache headache")
E) and this is the most important: some time in your career as a helicopter pilot, helicopters will kill you or your friends. It will happen. Not might. Will.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You could always go be a seabee for that army taste on top of your standard navy bullshit.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

warrant officer pilot and dog handler is the only thing I would ever consider going back in for. Like if someone put a gun to my head and said i had to join the military, my response would be to make me a warrant officer pilot, dog handler, or pull that trigger

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

You could always go be a seabee for that army taste on top of your standard navy bullshit.

Dude we don't even BEGIN to come close to Army standard BS even in our best efforts. Like, not even same stratosphere

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Viva Miriya posted:

I want to do the job of the infantryman; I want to be a fighter. I wanna to protect the people of my country. I want to destroy the enemies of my country. I want to live an honorable life and I don't want to die having lived an easy, safe life, when I know I can do more.

None of these except #1 are reasons to be infantry, and "I'm going to be infantry because I want to do the job of the infantryman" isn't much of a reason.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
At what point should I weigh in on this stupid decision?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

At what point should I weigh in on this stupid decision?

Right after you make that reenactment thread. :D

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

Right after you make that reenactment thread. :D

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840516

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Viva Miriya posted:

This is me being super super honest here but this is how I've gotten it figured.

I want to do the job of the infantryman; I want to be a fighter. I wanna to protect the people of my country. I want to destroy the enemies of my country. I want to live an honorable life and I don't want to die having lived an easy, safe life, when I know I can do more.

That's as simple as it gets and this is despite talking to other vets around me, reading up on stuff, and reading up on you guys talk about your experiences. I'm drawn to this poo poo like a moth to the light.

14 year NCO here, gonna give you some advice:

A moth to a flame loving dies.

I get it, you want that grunt poo poo. You want to kick in doors and shoot people for freedom. You want to lay the scunion on some loving assholes who bomb kids and plot attacks on innocent people. You want to serve.

I swear to you upon my rank that you won't do that. You'll go through weeks upon weeks of exercises. You'll feel cold and wet that you could not imagine for longer than should be possible. It will suck, and when you finally go to Afghanistan and get to do that grunt poo poo, it will be teaching security forces or posting guard.

I can tell you are motivated, and that is some great poo poo. We need motivated troops to keep this machine running. But unless you've embraced the suck, and all that it entails, it will break you. You will, at best, end up with an alcohol problem, a list of risk-increasing behavior, or a body so broken you will be considered useless by your command. Or multiple. Or all three.

If you want to be a hero, join a police force or fire station or EMT. Save lives, affect change in your community, and enjoy not waking up in pain after 3 hours of sleep. If you want to help another country, join the Peace Corps or USAID. Get educated.

If you really, truly want to be a Soldier, then you best be ready for all the not hero poo poo you will do. Details. Mandatory fun. Weekend inspections. Duty. All of the crap that comes with it. And honestly, from what I read, you aren't ready for it. Your idea of the Infantry and what I have seen are wildly different.

Besides, Afghanistan is becoming an SFAB mission and grunt work will be mostly ANA, with support from US forces. So don't expect that.

If you still want in, fine. But we all warned you.

See you in the field.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NOICE

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol at the guy who capitalized soldier

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Viva Miriya posted:

Are you the living embodiment of a cadence about airborne rangers?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There are 24 hours in a day.

There are 168 hours in a week.

There are 720 hours in a 30-day month.

There are 8,760 hours in a year.

Most guys I know signed up for four years active.

There are 35,040 hours in a four year active contract.

Of those 35,040 hours, you’ll do summadat grunt poo poo for maybe 100 of them total. If you’re lucky and ww3 breaks out and is kinetic.

That’s 0.002% of your time doing what you signed up to do.

Yeah. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
if you enlist after all this then you deserve whatever you get