Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

These sorts of things always make me wonder how I would match up against blue belts from other places.

we have a guy that came in as a purple belt from another gym out of state. after something like a week of training he tore the four stripes from his belt & worked his way back up under our professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

If you have an extra 25/30 bucks to burn do drop ins randomly on places like that in your area. It's fun, because you get to roll with people you wouldn't a lot of other times and sometimes you get a gym where you can just style on people as a mid/high blue belt.

2h drive to the nearest other place :/

And everyone in my town's grappling scene knows me because I'm a super active member of two different clubs.

e. Though I did do some drop-in stuff in summer 2016. At one club I did no-gi and the instructor thought I was a blue belt based on how I stacked up against his guys, and at another I was keeping up with the four-stripe white belts pretty evenly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

we have a guy that came in as a purple belt from another gym out of state. after something like a week of training he tore the four stripes from his belt & worked his way back up under our professor

He's got a PHD in BJJ? :D

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just started taking muay thai classes. Jumped into a free class, loved it, and signed up for the month. Picked up some handwraps to practice wrapping at home.

A couple questions:

1) Does anyone know any stretches/at home exercises that would be good for muay thai? I've learned one stretch so far that is supposed to help open up my hips, and the instructor recommended lots of running and jump rope.

2) Are there any videos/instructional material you can suggest that could be useful for an absolute beginner? My martial background is in fencing, so this is all very new to me.

3) Any gear you would recommend? I haven't picked up gloves, shorts, or shin guards yet.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

out of all the weird terms used to describe the guy who runs the gym I think professor is the most accurate and least egregious

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Professor means teacher in Portuguese.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Verisimilidude posted:

3) Any gear you would recommend? I haven't picked up gloves, shorts, or shin guards yet.
Quoting the advice I got about shinguards recently.

kimbo305 posted:

Fairtex is fine. Any Muay Thai style shinguard with leather or faux leather over foam is the level of protection you need.

The karate or point-fighting type shinguards with only cloth on the outside won't be enough:

My preferred brand is Top King. Pricier, but last a long time.

You want your velcro loops to be one piece, like this:

And not 2 pieces:

These are easier to come loose and scratch your skin more.

Nah, you shouldn't be worried about the weight. You'll get used to it pretty fast.

A good block will take their padded shin on your knee or upper shin. They'll be kicking more than they would without shin guards, but it doesn't increase the difficulty of executing a block on your end.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

2) Are there any videos/instructional material you can suggest that could be useful for an absolute beginner? My martial background is in fencing, so this is all very new to me.

Watch and do whatever this guy says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?JosephValtellini

JaySB fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 13, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Your channel URL got corrupted: https://www.youtube.com/user/JosephValtellini

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Watch and do whatever this guy says:

Subscribed, thanks

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

These sorts of things always make me wonder how I would match up against blue belts from other places.

You know there are tournaments for this sort of thing right?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://twitter.com/MPSCamden/status/930154424948977665

The haters will say the lorry driver was wrong to interfere by blocking the moped gang in and not letting them get away with it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's his life. In Brazil, the driver'd have a gun in his face in a few seconds after trying that maneuver.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

kimbo305 posted:

It's his life. In Brazil, the driver'd have a gun in his face in a few seconds after trying that maneuver.

willie exists in a country with gun control laws

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

willie exists in a country with gun control laws

Obivously I don't assume that willie is representative of everyone in such a country, but my point is that the perceived risk of such actions doesn't exist in a vacuum from how crime works in your environment.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Professor means teacher in Portuguese.

Ah, fair enough.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ah, fair enough.

I mean if you spend 10 years in the sport to get your black belt that also technically qualifies right?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Anybody have a preferred way for wrapping their hands?

I've been following the detailed steps here
https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/how-to-wrap-your-hands

and I like it, but not sure if there is something better. This doesn't wrap around my knuckles much.

I realize that the wrapping is to keep things tight, and not to cushion my hands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

I've been following the detailed steps here
https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/how-to-wrap-your-hands

and I like it, but not sure if there is something better. This doesn't wrap around my knuckles much.

I realize that the wrapping is to keep things tight, and not to cushion my hands.

As you do bag work, if you notice that you're rolling your wrists (punching at a bad angle and having your fist cock at an angle to your wrist), you'll want to favor more wrist support than knuckle padding.
More padded knuckles (while your knuckle skin is still sensitive and not used to punches) will mean you can punch harder, which will magnify a potential injury to your wrist.

Once your form is good and your wrist is stable under a variety of punches, you can do this one, which gives you way less thumb support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBJiwLgmbg
I only go once around the palm -- the rest is doubled up over the knuckles.
Actually, I hate having too much material on the palm side -- it's harder to close your fist and gets your fingers slightly uncurled.

e: fwiw, unlike the video, I most of the wrist support at the very end instead of the beginning. I don't think it matters that much, since ultimately the tension structures are built up in the same way.
If I do it too loose or tight, I can just pop my glove off and rewrap the last few loops around the wrist.

Or, you can use another wrap on top of the first. Go nuts with padding the knuckles.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 16, 2017

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqxHaDJzSs

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I want my 2 minutes of my life back

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This is glorious.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Just started taking muay thai classes. Jumped into a free class, loved it, and signed up for the month. Picked up some handwraps to practice wrapping at home.

A couple questions:

1) Does anyone know any stretches/at home exercises that would be good for muay thai? I've learned one stretch so far that is supposed to help open up my hips, and the instructor recommended lots of running and jump rope.

Welcome new muay thai-buddy! :hfive:. I'm just into my third month and can tell you to get ready for a couple of weeks of blue shins. They will harden eventually though. For shorts I just bought a regular pair of semi-loose training shorts and they are working fine so far.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
How the hell did I get through years in martial arts not knowing I could have bought a Goku gi. :goku:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cigaw posted:

How the hell did I get through years in martial arts not knowing I could have bought a Goku gi. :goku:

It needs to get rid of the blue collar and just be straight orange, and be accented by a dark blue rash guard.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

KildarX posted:

It needs to get rid of the blue collar and just be straight orange, and be accented by a dark blue rash guard.
A weighted dark blue rash guard. You know, for more efficient gainz. :getin:

It does have a 4-star DB patch on the leg and (what looks like) all 7 DBs on the underside of the front hem, which makes it kickin' rad.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

cigaw posted:

I want to see the look on my Sensei's face when I walk into the academy with that on.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
There are also ninja turtle gis. A couple of our guys have vegeta rashguards. We're basically all here because we're terrible.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wear this to impose dominance in the gym:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So I'm moving to a new city and plan to get back into some of the sports that I used to play. However, I am now old and out of shape, and I need to improve my balance and control. I've always been interested in tai chi, but have never done it. Would this be a good thing to get into to help get my body back to competition level?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

No -- most forms of tai chi are not demanding enough for sports that require cardio.
If you want to do it as a hobby, it'd still be an interesting experience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I'm moving to a new city and plan to get back into some of the sports that I used to play. However, I am now old and out of shape, and I need to improve my balance and control. I've always been interested in tai chi, but have never done it. Would this be a good thing to get into to help get my body back to competition level?

For competing in what? Tai Chi is only an effective fitness activity for situations that call for ultra-low impact, particularly as a contrast to sedentary lifestyles. Like, people who are 60+ who do tai chi suffer far fewer falls than a control group. That's a real benefit, but it's a benefit for people who can't do stuff like running or weightlifting.

In practice, just engaging in those sports will do more for your fitness.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tai chi at it's best is moving meditation. Very relaxing, not really a physical thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of the low movements involve eccentric contractions, so you will get some muscular endurance in your core and legs, but it's pretty minor benefits.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Surely if you are moving furniture all the time as a hobby to make its energy flow, if you are picking up the heaviest furniture you'll get fit? I always thought Thai Chi lessons was just a scam to get free removal company work done.

Do BJJ and not furniture alignment. It'll make you fitter and is genuinely good self defence. Some fucker picking up a chair isn't going to escape my standing guillotine I can tell you that much.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...That's feng shui you potato. :v:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Given your goals of balance and control you'll probably get more mileage out of yoga than you will from Tai Chi.

What sports are you getting back to?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Siivola posted:

More embarassing than 'akido'

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

You can feng off too mate, what are you some Thai Chi deck chair salesman? I have literally never seen anyone move furniture in the octagon, it's just not a viable self defence system. I've seen it being done, hooligans at soccer games are more likely to do damage lobbing a table, and they don't even train they are just drunk.

Akido, Thai Chi, and anything else that you don't see regularly working in mma has no real place as a martial art imo and it can feng off to vegetable land for all I care. Its disproven in the irl world of battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

i was hoping willie dee had been killed by a gang of scooter hooligans already