Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
HBO had the rights to it and was airing it for a bit, not sure if they still have it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got through 30 minutes of the Complete Saga version before turning it off. Having all the young Vito scenes back to back makes the pacing awful. When it finally got to the "I believe in America" scene, it felt shoehorned. It managed to make one of the greatest opening scenes seem unnecessary.

Also, the Blu-rays really hold up beautifully. Even though they came out in 2008, the quality is out of this world. It's funny to read on some forums people bitching about the color and contrast. One of the best restorers in the world (Robert Harris), the scanning and digital work done at Motion Picture Imaging (they do all of WB's restorations, plus The Red Shoes, etc), and it was all overseen and approved by Gordon Willis and Coppola. Willis even said the digital file is closer to the proper look than any new film elements because current stocks can't reproduce inky black levels like Technicolor prints could.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They're warmer than the DVDs, which might bother someone who's seen the movie a dozen times on DVD, but it's nice to open on an outdoor summer wedding and make it actually look hot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got my first two Indicator releases from the UK thanks to their sale a few weeks ago: The Lady from Shanghai and The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T.

This is some of the highest quality Blu-ray production I've ever seen.

The Lady from Shanghai was the main one I wanted since I only had the bare-bones Mill Creek release. The first thing I noticed is that they use a Criterion plastic case. The cover artwork is a vibrant variation of an original poster, with a small, unobtrusive banner at the top with the Indicator logo and branding and the BBFC rating in the corner. Get this... if you don't like seeing the video company's logo on the front cover, they made it reversible. The other side just has the poster image on the front sans branding and BBFC logo.

Inside, full color artwork on both the Blu-ray and DVD. Gorgeous quality. Then there's a thick booklet, like the kind you'd normally associate only with Criterion and Arrow. Inside are some essays (film critic essay, Welles' memo to Harry Cohn, and a chapter from William Castle's memoirs). There's also a whole three pages on Sony's 4K restoration with notes by the restorers and comparison images. Even mentions that in addition to the new 4K restoration having DCP masters, they also created a new 35mm preservation negative and reference prints. They didn't fix up the movie to make it look good on Blu-ray, they did it so that it's fully preserved in the highest quality possible.

The film itself doesn't look drastically different from Mill Creek's edition, but it does have better compression. LPCM mono sound compared to Mill Creek's DTS-HD MA 1.0 and the TCM Archive's Dolby Digital 1.0 (!) sound. Extras include everything from the original Sony DVD from years ago like the Peter Bogdanovich commentary, trailer, and a 21 minute interview with Bogdanovich on the film. Indicator added a video appreciation with Welles biographer Simon Callow (he contributed to Criterion's Welles releases), French TV interview with Rita Hayworth, Joe Dante's Trailers from Hell video, and an extensive production photo and publicity archive.

In the disc production credits, all the graphic design (packaging and menus) were by Nick Wrigley, former producer of the UK Masters of Cinema series. Disc authoring and encoding by David Mackenzie, who does most encodes for Arrow, BFI, MoC, Flicker Alley, and now Synapse.

Oh yeah, while this is sold in the UK, it's 100% region-free like all of their releases.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Are Olive Films releases generally considered good? I'm looking at buying their Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe and Flying Disc Man From Mars blu rays.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

olive is excellent

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Doctor Teeth posted:

Are Olive Films releases generally considered good? I'm looking at buying their Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe and Flying Disc Man From Mars blu rays.

They do a decent job on most titles. They're at the mercy of Paramount, MGM, and Gaumont since they don't do their own scans or remastering. The Signature Editions have been fantastic - I have Welles' Macbeth, The Quiet Man, and Johnny Guitar and they're all magnificent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Shout Select is releasing Matinee. The extras are as of yet unannounced but I'm hoping it has the Mant footage and all the laserdisc poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Shout Select is releasing Matinee. The extras are as of yet unannounced but I'm hoping it has the Mant footage and all the laserdisc poo poo.

Speaking of Shout, Shout Factory is releasing 'Colossus: The Forbin Project' in February, I'm really looking forward to that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/VinegarSyndrome/status/930479060244934658

Just tell me what they are already! :argh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fingers crossed!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's gonna be Uncle Sam

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

It's gonna be Uncle Sam

I don;t know what that is, but I will admit that I was kind of interested when someone said it might be The Ice Cream Man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have Uncle Sam on VHS. It was fifty cents

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Fingers crossed!

What movie is this? Love to see practical monsters that just use the telephone instead of running around all the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Transferrins posted:

What movie is this? Love to see practical monsters that just use the telephone instead of running around all the time.

Tammy and the T-Rex IIRC. It's about a guy who gets his brain transplanted into a T-Rex and also his girlfriend still loves him or something? It stars Denise Richards and it ends with her doing a sexy dance for her boyfriend, who is now a brain in a jar connected to a camcorder.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tammy and the T-Rex IIRC. It's about a guy who gets his brain transplanted into a T-Rex and also his girlfriend still loves him or something? It stars Denise Richards and it ends with her doing a sexy dance for her boyfriend, who is now a brain in a jar connected to a camcorder.
And Paul Walker, who will sadly not live on as a T-Rex.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is the only place I can think to ask this technical question. You know how when you're watching something and someone in the movie is wearing plaid, the tv will have this slight rainbow effect? What is that called and what causes that? It'll even do it in a black and white movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is the only place I can think to ask this technical question. You know how when you're watching something and someone in the movie is wearing plaid, the tv will have this slight rainbow effect? What is that called and what causes that? It'll even do it in a black and white movie.

That's a moiré pattern.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

That would be the Moire effect. I'm not sure how rainbow plays into it. Moire patterns are observable IRL, while the rainbow pattern has something to do with color photography and film (or a B&W film encoded with color data, presumably)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neat!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 15, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This doesn't even begin to sell how batshit insane that movie is. It's from the director of Mac and Me and despite the film being very much like a kid's film in tone and direction there are several horrible gorings and a scene about necrophilia in addition to everything else making very little sense. It's incredible. The entire film is on youtube and I highly recommend everyone watch it.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Shout, Shout Factory is releasing 'Colossus: The Forbin Project' in February, I'm really looking forward to that one.

Here's praying that it's not the same garbage transfer that was released in the UK and Germany.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino will be releasing the classic Pink Panther cartoons. First set coming at the start of 2018.

They're also releasing John Ford's 1924 silent The Iron Horse next year.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

The rainbow thing is basically an analog artifact where the luminance channel interferes with the chroma (and vice versa): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Just a friendly reminder that James Cameron converted Titanic and T2 to 3D before puttting the Abyss on Blu-Ray. Goddammit I wanna see the movie and I refuse to compromise my experience!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just a friendly reminder that James Cameron converted Titanic and T2 to 3D before puttting the Abyss on Blu-Ray. Goddammit I wanna see the movie and I refuse to compromise my experience!

Titanic and T2 are two of the highest grossing films of all time, while The Abyss was a box office dud. He only got to make his director's cut after T2.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also True Lies

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James Cameron will make Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 before putting The Abyss on Blu-Ray.

Quote this in seven years.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

wa27 posted:

James Cameron will make Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 before putting The Abyss on Blu-Ray.

Quote this in seven years.

4 more sequels? Jesus Christ. We’ll see. James Cameron is one of the few people I trust to not completely screw it up. But are they gonna be like 2.5 hr halves?

I’ve heard the next ones are about water and that’s where the Abyss release will tie in but it’s like... people will buy it sight unseen anyway. Just release the drat thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/criterion-collection-february-2019-silence-of-the-lambs-night-living-dead-1201897830/

New Criterions coming in February:

- Silence of the Lambs, new 4K restoration supervised by cinematographer (what a cover!)

- Night of the Living Dead, new 4K with 16mm dailies

- Elevator to the Gallows

- An Actor’s Revenge

- The Hero

- Tom Jones

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Looking forward to Justice League? Probably not. But here's some UV codes anyways. Please post if you take one or both so others don't bother.

Man of Steel: TAKEN

Batman v Superman: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 16, 2017

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Looking forward to Justice League? Probably not. But here's some UV codes anyways. Please post if you take one or both so others don't bother.

Grabbed Man of Steel, thanks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Grabbed Batman. Thanks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/criterion-collection-february-2019-silence-of-the-lambs-night-living-dead-1201897830/

New Criterions coming in February:

- Silence of the Lambs, new 4K restoration supervised by cinematographer (what a cover!)

- Night of the Living Dead, new 4K with 16mm dailies

- Elevator to the Gallows

- An Actor’s Revenge

- The Hero

- Tom Jones

Tom Jones is a nice surprise. A companion to Barry Lyndon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That Silence of the Lambs cover is glorious and I...have not seen it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well when you do watch your Criterion of it, which you are going to get, be sure to post your thoughts in here

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheScott2K posted:

That Silence of the Lambs cover is glorious and I...have not seen it.

It's so loving good. It's one of those movies that worked its way into movie vernacular in such a way that people only remember all the imitations and parodies and forget just how amazing it is. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RichterIX posted:

It's so loving good. It's one of those movies that worked its way into movie vernacular in such a way that people only remember all the imitations and parodies and forget just how amazing it is. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

I saw a clip where he said "Chianti" wrong and I'm dreading that scene.

• Locked thread