Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

down n out posted:

While HS screams “it’s a currency!!1!” the IRS already decided otherwise and is actively seeking anybody who made large btc profits.

Forex is taxed as capital gains. It doesn't matter what you call it, the only sure things are death and taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

IIRC, Bitcoin mining difficulty adjusts every ~2 weeks depending on the number of miners. If no one mines, the difficulty goes down. However, if the mining capacity dropped off by like 80-90% all at once for some reason, I think transaction confirmation speed and rate will also go down 80-90%, and the next adjustment would take more than 2 weeks? So Bitcoin could get to a point where it fucks itself into oblivion if there's a bad crash and everyone moves to mining something else all at once. I might be wrong though because I haven't looked at Bitcoin since about 2011.

adjustment isn't tied to a fixed period of time, it's every 2016 blocks which corresponds to about 2 weeks of blocks every 10 minutes.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think anyone profited on Bitcoin in 2015 or 2016, and the 2017 tax year isn't over yet. But yeah I'm not surprised that nobody reports it. I've got a CPA so I just let her handle it all.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

rabble rabble posted:

how are you guys dealing with taxes when you exchange back into USD? does coinbase issue capital gains statements, or is it more of a stick your fingers in your ears and hope you don't get audited thing?
there's a service that you can upload your trade history to and it will calculate your capital gains for you, but the calculation should be straight forward in my case since there are no dividends to reinvest and since all my profits qualify as short term capital gains.

a lot of people who are avoiding taxes on crypto profits are going to regret it

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

looks like someone is planning another hard fork of bitcoin on january 2nd, 2018

http://www.bitcoincashplus.org/

by the end of 2018 there will be 20 bitcoins. they're going to run out of names

"bitcoin cash gold plus 2x"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
.... fulfilling the original promise of Bitcoin as....

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

temple posted:

.... fulfilling the original promise of Bitcoin as....

definitely NOT a scam. Only real currencies with intrinsic value are capable of splitting into 20 competing forks whose adherents all accuse the other coins of being fake scams

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"The Real Actual Bitcoin Not The Bad Fork"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I tried to go buy some milk at the corner store but they only accepted dollarcash and dollargold, and all i had were regular dollars.

I tried exchanging 5 dollars for the 400 dollargolds the milk cost at an ATM in the store, but i didn't bring my passport with me, so i couldn't scan it into the ATM to actually get my dollargolds out. By the time i ran home and got back with the passport, dollargolds dropped in value by 50% and the milk now cost 800. I put another 5 dollars in and the ATM bluescreened and stole my whole $10. I tried calling the customer support number on the ATM, but it was just a phone sex line and i got dinged for another $43 before i figured out she couldn't help me with the ATM.

Hopefully the next fork of the dollar is the one everybody agrees on and accepts.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How come the creator of bitcoin won't come out in public

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dog Jones posted:

He just wants to play with his trains, leave him alone.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The bitcoin cash plus page states:

quote:

On Chain Scalability - Bitcoin Cash Plus follows the Nakamoto roadmap of global adoption with on-chain scaling. As a first step, the blocksize limit has been made adjustable, with an increased default of 8MB. Research is underway to allow massive future increases.
Which leads to: https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BUIP/blob/master/065.mediawiki

quote:

The requested budget from BU is $150,000 per year. nChain has agreed to match BU funds 1:1, giving a project budget of $300,000 per year for five years ($1.5M total project budget). Approximately half of the budget is expected to be used to cover server costs, while the other half of the budget is expected to be paid out as wages for contractors, employees and students.
So 150k per year for a couple of professors, contractors, university employees and some students. Yeah.

quote:

We may find that Visa-level transaction throughputs (~3,000 TPS) and gigabyte blocks are not possible with current technology, or that the scope of changes to BU to enable these throughput levels is so vast that we are unable to test up to 1 GB blocks in Year 1. It is also possible that we determine that blockchain technology is simply not suitable for a global payment network, and that scaling must be carried out on “second layers.” In such a scenario, the Gigablock Testnet Initiative would likely be terminated prematurely.
Perhaps do the research first then think about launching another butt.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But that can't be right, geniuses endorse bitcoin and they said from the beginning that it can and should handle the entire world's economy

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dog Jones posted:

What more do you want?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

temple posted:

What more do you want?

A free lunch.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

52 terabytes per year, looking forward to the nerds with huge arrays of drives in a basement

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought that guy was outed a couple years ago

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

You do realize that there are consequences for changing application parameters that application specific integrated circuits. Especially when the old parameters are now invalid for the application and the old ASIC can't be used.

I want to understand bitcoin but I'm convinced I will never understand what you've just said.

Sounds like you probably owned that guy, though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can now use square cash to buy Bitcoin!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2017/11/14/squares-cash-app-a-new-place-to-buy-and-sell-bitcoin/

Forbes posted:

In that same discussion, he perhaps gave a hint as to why Square's Cash is testing this out. He recounted going home to St. Louis over the holidays and being asked by multiple people how to buy Bitcoin. "I said why do you want to buy Bitcoin, and they said, I heard it was a fast, easy way to make money. So I said, you want to treat it like an investment, and they said yes, someone said it's like digital gold... It was just amazing how mainstream the brand is," he said.

He also noted that a digital currency could be especially appealing to a younger generation -- one that overlaps nicely with those that also pay friends with smartphone apps -- and recounted someone telling him, "Gold is a stupid rock."

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

kolby posted:

I want to understand bitcoin but I'm convinced I will never understand what you've just said.

SNES games simply wont work in an NES is the really basic point here. Change bitcoin too much and the hardware has to be replaced.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kolby posted:

An ASIC is basically a hardware chip that's specifically built to do one exact thing only (and do that one thing very efficiently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

Now the problem with these is that their very nature makes them not reprogrammable to any significant degree. This has pretty severe implications with cryptocurrency because how they're designed to mine will ONLY work for one version of a coin. You can't take an ASIC, or rack of ASIC's, built to mine bitcoins, and change them to mine another cryptocurrency. This includes if the very nature of bitcoin changes significantly.

An ASIC built for a version of a coin that's fallen out of favor is effectively worthless, as in you straight-up have to throw it out and can't reuse it or even re-purpose it for something else (because its integrated programming can only do the one thing that's now pointless to do and nothing else). Now consider the fact that the big forces in the Bitcoin world are Chinese factories running hundreds of thousands of these things. Imagine how interested they are in completely throwing out the giant warehouse full of every ASIC they have, designing and paying for new ones, and re-configuring everything.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

"I said why do you want to buy Bitcoin, and they said, I heard it was a fast, easy way to make money. So I said, you want to treat it like an investment, and they said yes, someone said it's like digital gold... It was just amazing how mainstream the brand is," he said.

ahahahahahahahahahaha

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Don't they use gold in circuit boards?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dog Jones posted:

Money is supposed to be immutable and almost abstract, not an invention. I know of a guy a while back who made an easy couple of K by having his bitcoin mocking blog bought up by someone just wanting to silence detractors.

Question: Where are all these zillionaires? If bitcoin isn't a house of cards ponzi you'd think everyone would be cashing out.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Russian and Chinese Mafiosi are probably a little hush hush about their money

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rufio posted:

Don't they use gold in circuit boards?

i design digital circuit boards so i use bitcoin, aka digital gold, in my circuits

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lol everyone that posted during the fork drama about how bitcoins were CRASHING

extra lol at "coins can no longer be updated because ASICS" and people dumb enough to believe it

well done dudes, you sure called this one just like the iphone / anroid big hands thing - NOBODY WILL NEED A PHONE BIGGER THAN THE IPHONE 4 STEVE JOBS HIMSELF SAID SO

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol everyone that posted during the fork drama about how bitcoins were CRASHING

extra lol at "coins can no longer be updated because ASICS" and people dumb enough to believe it

well done dudes, you sure called this one just like the iphone / anroid big hands thing - NOBODY WILL NEED A PHONE BIGGER THAN THE IPHONE 4 STEVE JOBS HIMSELF SAID SO

No one does need the bigger phones, they just made all the new ones big

like if you don't get a choice it doesn't mean you liked it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fried Watermelon posted:

No one does need the bigger phones, they just made all the new ones big

like if you don't get a choice it doesn't mean you liked it

Haha imagine being this unable to predict the future and obvious trends

and then feeling the need to stake out your obvious correct position on bitcoin :smug:

Sorry luddites & morons, it must be rough being unable to extend out trendlines or draw obvious conclusions about how things are going

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's like the third time you mentioned phone sizes. You're still bitter at all of the people that made fun of your phablet, huh

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

That's like the third time you mentioned phone sizes. You're still bitter at all of the people that made fun of your phablet, huh

I think it's incredible that the same crew of idiots that made fun of upcoming stuff for YEARS, haha those big phones, lmao, anroid lmao, with dumb unfunny jokes and endless circle jerks, has found their new cause to rally around

and it turns out that they are just as clueless as they were when making fun of big phones, its literally the same people, only this time talking themselves out of money :xd:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Haha imagine being this unable to predict the future and obvious trends

and then feeling the need to stake out your obvious correct position on bitcoin :smug:

Sorry luddites & morons, it must be rough being unable to extend out trendlines or draw obvious conclusions about how things are going

Hmm it seems our phone sales are going down on phone sizes we no longer make, I wonder why?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hmm it seems our phone sales are going down on phone sizes we no longer make, I wonder why?

Imagine spending years making fun of those anroid dumbasses with their big phones, who needs a phone that big!! only to find out, that you were the dumbass. The sad plight of yospos posters and unix sysadmins everywhere.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going blind from staring at our phones so that why they're getting bigger.

Steve Jobs didn't have very intelligent medical opinions, he'd tell you this if he was alive today

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

We're all going blind from staring at our phones so that why they're getting bigger.

Steve Jobs didn't have very intelligent medical opinions, he'd tell you this if he was alive today

That's so weird that IT janitors with woke CGA avatars could possibly be wrong and dumb about technology trends despite working in it all day? And spend years making fun of the very thing that was about to happen. How could this be?! Maybe if they had self published a book about big phones it would have been different.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's so weird that IT janitors with woke CGA avatars could possibly be wrong and dumb about technology trends despite working in it all day? And spend years making fun of the very thing that was about to happen. How could this be?! Maybe if they had self published a book about big phones it would have been different.

are you doing okay today

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Fried Watermelon posted:

are you doing okay today

Buttcoin is crashing so he's having a meltdown because he tied his sense of self worth to internet Chuckie cheese tokens

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Dog Jones posted:

he sold all his bitcoin at $10 then suicided when it was at $1000

(maybe)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Buttcoin is crashing so he's having a meltdown because he tied his sense of self worth to internet Chuckie cheese tokens

Oh yeah it's crashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fried Watermelon posted:

are you doing okay today

Lmao this broken clock isn't even right twice a day ;) but he's here to give you advice on cryptocurrencies