Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since we're talking about minecraft-like building games, does anyone know some good minecraft-but-in-space games I'm not yet aware of?

I adore Starmade but with over 2 months of no updates and the multiplayer server population all but dead, it's passing development purgatory and well on it's way to development hell. Speaking of development hell, there's also Space Engineers and Empyrion, both are all right and I've been spending time with.

I'd really like a game with a heavy focus on complex spaceship building, complete with interiors to move around in. I know it's too much to ask for one that's out of early access, but one that has a glimmer of hope that maybe one day it might leave early access would be grand.

grate deceiver posted:

From The Depths kinda? It's more focused around actual ships, but it's also possible to build pretty elaborate flying vehicles. Still actively developed.

Echoing this. From the Depths is great and is more interesting thanks to being on the sea rather than space, but as mentioned flying machines are possible, as well as space craft for orbital strikes. It's got such depth that you can design the very ammunition that each of your weapons systems fire, or the specific shape and size of your cannons, lasers or missiles. Engine customisation, programmable fleet AI that can be either the simplest possible (Auto-fire weapons, follow leader) that needs to be connected to all of the relevant systems, submarines that are a joy to construct, it's a fantastic building game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Hey goons, I'm looking for a new game to play and I'm wondering if you could give me some suggestions based on the games I've loved this year and games i didn't love.

Games i've played this year that i loved
Wolfenstein TNO - I'm a sucker for good stories, but I haven't played a straight FPS game since the mid 2000s, so it was an interesting return to form
Assassins Creed Syndicate - I loved AC back in the AC2 days, hadn't played any since. I'm generally not a fan of open world games, and I can't exactly figure out why I finished this one, but I enjoyed playing the story missions and conquering London
Watchdogs 2 - I live in San Francisco and I'm surrounded by tech nerds 24x7, so this game was just enough fanservice to get me. Plus they nailed the douchy CEO antagonist perfectly. And pretty much everything open-world about it was ignorable.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - This was a completely unexpected, perfect sequel that I didn't know I wanted to Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm a fan of metroid vanias and they nailed the "you just got something new, and now your old options are brand new again" feeling that you get from them.
Path of Exile - ARPS really do it for me. 600+ hours and counting.
Dead Cells - I'm a fan of the "slow meta progression roguelite" genre, and i love fast 2d plaforming and combat, so this was a no-brainer for me
Sleeping Dogs - This is my favorite open world game of all time. Again, I don't really dig open world games but I will 100% this game every year until they remove it from my steam catalogue.
Ori and The Blind Forest - I'm a huge fan of metroidvanias and dear god is this game gorgeous and fun to control
Doki Doki Literature Club loving anime dating sims, but give me some of that good old 4th wall breaking poo poo anyday.

Games I've played this year that I didn't like
Darksiders 2 - I heard super good things and it was on sale for like $4, but man did i bounce hard off this game. I had no reason to care about the characters or story and the mechanics did nothing interesting.
Tomb Raider 2013 - I loving LOVED rise, so I bought this one during the steam sale and was disappointing that it was an uncharted-like instead of an arkham-like (i knew going into it that it was an uncharted-like, but i never really played uncharted so I have now discovered that they are not my jam)
Bayonetta - I loving loved Metal Gear Rising, so I wanted to check this one out, but I just couldn't enjoy the cheesyness in the same way I enjoyed MGRs. I'll probably give it a second shot and see if i can get past the beefcake.
Prey - I loving love looking glass sims, but this one didn't do it for me. Got bored halfway through. I played it shortly after Deus Ex: MD and so maybe I was just bored of the genre.
Grim Dawn - After dumping 600 hours into POE i couldn't get over how ugly and boring this one was.
Shovel Knight - the nostalgia wasn't enough for me, and otherwise I didn't really like it.
Owl Boy - again, highly praised but it just didn't work for me. The core gameplay loop was just boring.

The only game I finished in the "didn't like" category was Tomb Raider, so I would be open to going back and giving any of them a fairer shake if they are goon recommended.

Anyone have any other ideas?

VVV thanks for the reminder, I'm about halfway through Hollow Knight. Not really grabbing me, but I'll probably binge it one night.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 13, 2017

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Have you tried Hollow Knight?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That list is all over the place. I think it would help if you described more specifically what you didn't like about the games in the dislike list. Since you enjoy slow meta progression roguelites I would like to suggest Monolith. It's a NES nostalgia game but actually fun to play. Like you I kinda bounced off Shovel Knight, even though I feel like I should enjoy it on paper. Monolith hits all the right buttons for me though.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That list is all over the place. I think it would help if you described more specifically what you didn't like about the games in the dislike list. Since you enjoy slow meta progression roguelites I would like to suggest Monolith. It's a NES nostalgia game but actually fun to play. Like you I kinda bounced off Shovel Knight, even though I feel like I should enjoy it on paper. Monolith hits all the right buttons for me though.

I'll check out Monolith and I went back and edited my list to be a little bit more descriptive about why I didn't like things. I always have a hard time with game recommendations, because even though I liked a game, it doesn't mean that I will like another game in a similar genre with similar mechanics.

Divinity Original Sin and Nier:Automata are on my shortlist, but i hear Nier has a lovely PC port.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lechtansi posted:

Divinity Original Sin and Nier:Automata are on my shortlist, but i hear Nier has a lovely PC port.

Nier's port is fine, and I say this as someone who's a lot pickier about this stuff than most people.

I also thought the game itself was just okay, and never finished it because the gameplay takes a nosedive the first time you switch protagonists. I heard it picks up again later though and I'll probably get back to it eventually.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should get Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and The New Colossus.

Also new Doom.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Also decent shooters with stories: Shadow warrior, Call of Juarez:Gunslinger and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Lechtansi posted:

Hey goons, I'm looking for a new game to play and I'm wondering if you could give me some suggestions based on the games I've loved this year and games i didn't love.

MGS5. (Like you, I can't usually be arsed with open world games, but it's good.)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lechtansi posted:

Have you tried Axiom Verge?

Also I find the new AC really enjoyable even though I never bothered with the other ones before (besides a bit of Black Flag). There's something with this kind of unusual settings that I really like (like Far Cry Primal too)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Grim Dawn is a popular ARPG that just got some DLC. There's a thread here for it as well, quite busy.

Edit: illiterate, apologies.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 14, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He said he didn't like Grim Dawn, though.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V on PS4 recently and really like most of it including the (mental) storyline, basebuilding, researching, resource finding, general structure of the game. Its very nearly perfect but for me its just a little too stealth-orientated. Is there anything like it that relies a little less on stealth? At the same time I don't want to be charging around like Master Chief.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V on PS4 recently and really like most of it including the (mental) storyline, basebuilding, researching, resource finding, general structure of the game. Its very nearly perfect but for me its just a little too stealth-orientated. Is there anything like it that relies a little less on stealth? At the same time I don't want to be charging around like Master Chief.

I did a good 60% of that game on the back of the mech. It's only super stealth oriented if you make It that way.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So I'm looking for something else to get into since I'm just doing the occasional MMO thing with the girlfriend and I have a ... well.. ungodly amount of items.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for what I haven't played yet, I'm very curious to hear them.

Here's the list

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Malek posted:

So I'm looking for something else to get into since I'm just doing the occasional MMO thing with the girlfriend and I have a ... well.. ungodly amount of items.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for what I haven't played yet, I'm very curious to hear them.

Here's the list

Dear god, man. This nearly crashed my browser.
Okay, looking at games you never played, these are my recommendations. I really like puzzle games and metroidvanias so I might be a bit biased towards those.

TOP PICKS
Undertale (seriously play this drat game)
Portal (how have you not played this)
Planescape: Torment (maybe you played this already, before it got on steam?)
Ori and the Blind Forest
Stephen's Sausage Roll (warning: very difficult)
Hollow Knight
FLY'N (warning: gets difficult near the end)
SpaceChem (at the bottom only because some people didn't like the boss battles. I liked them!)

GREAT GAMES in alphabetical order
Antichamber
Aquaria
Axiom Verge
Braid
Closure
Environmental Station Alpha
Escape Goat 2
Infinifactory
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Slime Rancher
Snakebird (warning: very difficult, shorter than Stephen's Sausage Roll but more likely to stump you)
The Bridge
The Swapper
Thomas Was Alone
VVVVVV

GOOD GAMES or great games you might not like maybe, or games I haven't played but hear are really good
Arx Fatalis
Bioshock
Divide by Sheep
Hexcells
Hyper Light Drifter
La-Mulana
NiGHTS
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Shovel Knight
SUPERHOT
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

McFrugal posted:

Dear god, man. This nearly crashed my browser.
Okay, looking at games you never played, these are my recommendations. I really like puzzle games and metroidvanias so I might be a bit biased towards those.

TOP PICKS
[CONSPICUOUS ABSENCE]

Ungodly amount of free time? Factorio will solve that.

e: Oh "items" not "time" woops, but still

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lechtansi posted:

Games i've played this year that i loved
Wolfenstein TNO - I'm a sucker for good stories, but I haven't played a straight FPS game since the mid 2000s, so it was an interesting return to form
Assassins Creed Syndicate - I loved AC back in the AC2 days, hadn't played any since. I'm generally not a fan of open world games, and I can't exactly figure out why I finished this one, but I enjoyed playing the story missions and conquering London
Watchdogs 2 - I live in San Francisco and I'm surrounded by tech nerds 24x7, so this game was just enough fanservice to get me. Plus they nailed the douchy CEO antagonist perfectly. And pretty much everything open-world about it was ignorable.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - This was a completely unexpected, perfect sequel that I didn't know I wanted to Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm a fan of metroid vanias and they nailed the "you just got something new, and now your old options are brand new again" feeling that you get from them.
Path of Exile - ARPS really do it for me. 600+ hours and counting.
Dead Cells - I'm a fan of the "slow meta progression roguelite" genre, and i love fast 2d plaforming and combat, so this was a no-brainer for me
Sleeping Dogs - This is my favorite open world game of all time. Again, I don't really dig open world games but I will 100% this game every year until they remove it from my steam catalogue.
Ori and The Blind Forest - I'm a huge fan of metroidvanias and dear god is this game gorgeous and fun to control
Doki Doki Literature Club loving anime dating sims, but give me some of that good old 4th wall breaking poo poo anyday.

Games I've played this year that I didn't like
Darksiders 2 - I heard super good things and it was on sale for like $4, but man did i bounce hard off this game. I had no reason to care about the characters or story and the mechanics did nothing interesting.
Tomb Raider 2013 - I loving LOVED rise, so I bought this one during the steam sale and was disappointing that it was an uncharted-like instead of an arkham-like (i knew going into it that it was an uncharted-like, but i never really played uncharted so I have now discovered that they are not my jam)
Bayonetta - I loving loved Metal Gear Rising, so I wanted to check this one out, but I just couldn't enjoy the cheesyness in the same way I enjoyed MGRs. I'll probably give it a second shot and see if i can get past the beefcake.
Prey - I loving love looking glass sims, but this one didn't do it for me. Got bored halfway through. I played it shortly after Deus Ex: MD and so maybe I was just bored of the genre.
Grim Dawn - After dumping 600 hours into POE i couldn't get over how ugly and boring this one was.
Shovel Knight - the nostalgia wasn't enough for me, and otherwise I didn't really like it.
Owl Boy - again, highly praised but it just didn't work for me. The core gameplay loop was just boring.

The only game I finished in the "didn't like" category was Tomb Raider, so I would be open to going back and giving any of them a fairer shake if they are goon recommended.

Anyone have any other ideas?

VVV thanks for the reminder, I'm about halfway through Hollow Knight. Not really grabbing me, but I'll probably binge it one night.

rear end Creed Origins, Wolfenstein TNC seem like the obvious picks here but I'm also going to throw out Guacamelee since you seem to like fun to control metroidvanias/platforming. Rayman Legends is another one that was a joy to play but it's a pure platformer.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

Ungodly amount of free time? Factorio will solve that.

e: Oh "items" not "time" woops, but still

He doesn't own that though!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

McFrugal posted:

He doesn't own that though!

Wow I am the worst at reading. Thanks american education system :saddowns:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Puyo Puyo Tetris looks really fun, especially the combined modes - Tetris is very relaxing to play for me but sometimes you want some variation and all. However I don't own a single console and also am a cheapskate. Are there any similar games on PC, even if it's not strictly Tetris + Puyo style? If this was 10 years ago at the height of the flash games era I'd probably already know a dozen free ones but I ain't running poo poo on Flash in the year 2017 and also I haven't kept up with those kinds of sites at all anyway so wouldn't know where to look.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has anyone given Dwarf Corp a try? It looks like a new attempt at DF with better graphics.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Read that as Dwarf Cop and now I'm bummed it isn't a game about being a fantasy police officer.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

Has anyone given Dwarf Corp a try? It looks like a new attempt at DF with better graphics.

Not yet worth playing, buggy to the point of unplayability. One key bug of note is that you can't make new stockpiles, and you can delete the original one. Yeah, that has the effect you'd imagine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Not yet worth playing, buggy to the point of unplayability. One key bug of note is that you can't make new stockpiles, and you can delete the original one. Yeah, that has the effect you'd imagine.

Wow. That's terrible. Thank you for jumping on that grenade.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

Wow. That's terrible. Thank you for jumping on that grenade.

Don't let that put you off the game in the future though, it's utterly charming and has the foundations for something truly great. It just uh, suffers greatly at present.

For a general recommendation if anyone's looking for a good trading game with no combat: Interstellar Trading Company has been eating my hours as of late. It's a wonderful game with all the stats that you could ever want, and so many lovely graphs. Great sense of progress as well, as Humanity colonises more and more worlds and develops FTL travel, and you play as the private sector enjoying the perks of that technological movement. It's like my dream of playing as a corporation within the brilliant Aurora 4X.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

For a general recommendation if anyone's looking for a good trading game with no combat: Interstellar Trading Company has been eating my hours as of late. It's a wonderful game with all the stats that you could ever want, and so many lovely graphs. Great sense of progress as well, as Humanity colonises more and more worlds and develops FTL travel, and you play as the private sector enjoying the perks of that technological movement. It's like my dream of playing as a corporation within the brilliant Aurora 4X.

I'm curious about this, I've been searching a bit and found two games with similar names, Offworld trade company and Interestellar Transport Company, which one is the one you are referring? Also, it's early access?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm curious about this, I've been searching a bit and found two games with similar names, Offworld trade company and Interestellar Transport Company, which one is the one you are referring? Also, it's early access?

Transport company, Offworld is a little too fast IMHO, but it's very good too. It's early access but I've had no perceptible problems. The dev does mark everything that is work in progress in game too.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Transport company, Offworld is a little too fast IMHO, but it's very good too.

That was my experience with Offworld. Basically, the more like a spreadsheet the game is the better I like it. I just want to chill out, work toward upgrades and new research paths, and watch my bank balances grow while crushing my opponents beneath the might of my economic empire (why yes I do enjoy incremental games why do you ask?!?).

Offworld felt like "Oh you weren't already clicking on that? Sucks to be you", and I want my game to be more like a spreadsheet than an RTS. But then even the gameplay itself felt kind of shallow to me. Like you had to produce everything all the time and create artificial shortages to make a profit, but the only purpose of manufacturing anything was to sell it. I was pretty disappointed with it, but I also didn't play very long so maybe I didn't get far enough (looks like ~3 hours of gameplay logged).

Interstellar Transport Company is on my wishlist. Should I bump it up in purchase priority?

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I'm looking for a game with a bunch of skills to grind. Having those skills do something useful is a bonus. It can be an MMO or single player, an MMO with a Goon presence is some more bonus points. Most of the MMOs I've looked into are dead or dying so there is that.

Similar games that I've played.
Wurm Online
Eve Online
Project Gorgon
Runescape
Haven & Heart
UnReal World

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MrTargetPractice posted:

I'm looking for a game with a bunch of skills to grind. Having those skills do something useful is a bonus. It can be an MMO or single player, an MMO with a Goon presence is some more bonus points. Most of the MMOs I've looked into are dead or dying so there is that.

Wurm Online
Eve Online
Project Gorgon
Runescape
Haven & Heart
UnReal World

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
Any TES game

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Has anyone tried Star Traders: Frontiers? Premise looks good and it's currently at 100% positive reviews (43 out of 43), in Early Access. Is it that good as the reviews make it seem?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrTargetPractice posted:

Wurm Online
Eve Online
Project Gorgon
Runescape
Haven & Heart
UnReal World

You definitely want to check out Life is Feudal. Also maybe Mortal Online.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Quill18 on YouTube is currently doing an Interstellar Trading Company play through on YouTube.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lorini posted:

Quill18 on YouTube is currently doing an Interstellar Trading Company play through on YouTube.

isn't that a pvp rts game?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

NO. Or are you trolling? Look it up on Steam, sorry I'm phone posting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lorini posted:

NO. Or are you trolling? Look it up on Steam, sorry I'm phone posting.

I guess I'm confusing it with offworld trading company.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

double nine posted:

I guess I'm confusing it with offworld trading company.

Yeah I thought that at first too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ah. Ok makes sense. Apologies. No it's very very different. Much slower and deliberate. Do watch quill18’s let's play if you are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi friends can someone recomend me a good rpg that i can play intel core i3 5005u with a intel hd 5500? it can be indy or whatever, it has to have a good story

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 18, 2017