Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mikl posted:

I don't think that's the case. Laius at least knows what Marcille's spellbook looks like, Marcille taught him some magic a while back.

I MUST CONSUME

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Roll Wisdom (Perception) everyone!!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Roll Wisdom (Perception) everyone!!

No direct skill checks, set this up by having each of your players write up a description of their character and everyone else's characters (which only you get to read) a week before the session, do some minor edits for the sake of the doppleganger's introductions and make them work it out on their own.

Whenever one of your players talks in character, assign their dialogue randomly between the player speaking and their dopplegangers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
At first i thought Senshi's copies are the ones with wildly off-model proportions. But it probably goes something like this:

Giant stubbleface stereotypical McWarrior Laius, haughty sharp-faced fancy hair stereotypical elf Marcille and granite-nosed serious-eye stereotypical dwarf Senshi must all be Chilchak's versions. He pictures others mostly with a visual shorthand for their role or race. This one is really a guess, could have also been Senshi, but here's why i don't think so.
Senshi, as we know from the Dryad chapter, views the rest of the group as children. So, tiny puffy-cheeks Chilchak with the toy lock picks, droopy Laius and "Black Magic is so rad!" Marcille are probably all his creations.
We already know two of Laius' creations by the lack of, or just flat-out wrong details on them. Funnily enough, his attention to detail in one specific case - Marcille's spell book - makes her clone to be probably the hardest one to figure out. It could be open-hair Marcille, since this way she looks a little more like Farlyn. Although for some reason my gut tells me that's actually the real one, since letting her hair down for the cold seems like something she'd do.
Marcille, then, would be the one who has no sense for cooking or the tools used therein, so she's the only one to get the utensils wrong. Still. Also obviously the one who sees Laius as an indiscriminate feed machine.

So we got three fakes left - Laius' impression of Marcille, Chilchak's impression of generic dwarf Senshi and Marcille's impression of Chilchak.

Not sure about the differences for that last one. There might be a certain difference in height? But it could also be artistic license in panel arrangement.
edit: One of them has bigger, rounder eyes than the other. Probably the fake one. Though it's kind of a stretch.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 14, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HenryEx posted:

At first i thought Senshi's copies are the ones with wildly off-model proportions. But it probably goes something like this:

Giant stubbleface stereotypical McWarrior Laius, haughty sharp-faced fancy hair stereotypical elf Marcille and granite-nosed serious-eye stereotypical dwarf Senshi must all be Chilchak's versions. He pictures others mostly with a visual shorthand for their role or race. This one is really a guess, could have also been Senshi, but here's why i don't think so.

Agreed, though for different reasons. If we take them as a group- and they share a consistent perceptual distortion, so that's reasonable- the one missing is Chilchak. So they're Chilchak's by default. But I reckon he sees his friends like this because, being a tiny babyface man from a race of tiny babyfaces, he exaggerates how large and rough-featured they are. Laius is a giant, from Chilchak's perspective.

HenryEx posted:

Senshi, as we know from the Dryad chapter, views the rest of the group as children. So, tiny puffy-cheeks Chilchak with the toy lock picks, droopy Laius and "Black Magic is so rad!" Marcille are probably all his creations.

That I did not remember, but it seems sound. Further evidence that Braid Marcille is Senshi's is that her hair is especially glossy- and that she makes a point of it. I suspect the chapter where she made him wash looms large in Senshi's memories of her.

HenryEx posted:

We already know two of Laius' creations by the lack of, or just flat-out wrong details on them. Funnily enough, his attention to detail in one specific case - Marcille's spell book - makes her clone to be probably the hardest one to figure out. It could be open-hair Marcille, since this way she looks a little more like Farlyn. Although for some reason my gut tells me that's actually the real one, since letting her hair down for the cold seems like something she'd do.

Possibly significant: Laius is (the only one) imagining a Marcille with two braids here:

This chapter must have been fun to plan.

Poor Laius, though. None of his friends understand him. :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Judging by the I MUST CONSUME, they understand him plenty.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hang on. If marcille is gone, how did they get her impression of the others?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Tonberry-like stalking.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm pretty sure Marcille's there, and cat-ninja just grabbed her hand to sneak along with them through the blizzard.

I think the breakdown of who imagined what is as follows:

Laius: Scarf Chilchak, Flawless Helmet Senshi, and Accurate Marcille

Chilchak: Dumb Laius, Flawed Tool Senshi, Weird-Looking Marcille

Senshi: Big Laius, Childish/Flawed Utensil Chilchak, Best Spellbook Marcille

Marcille: Farlyn-ish Laius, Accurate Chilchak, Weird Senshi.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Nah I think that weird Marcille is Senshi's too. Dude is just not good with remembering tall people. Flawed tools Chilchack is probably Marcille's since Senshi got a good look at them during the cooking with traps / using them as mimic utensils issues.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 15, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know exactly what it is but somehow Dungeon Meshi just feels sorta.... creepy to me. I get the vibe they're going for but the way the characters end up being presented feels really weirdly offputting and creepy to the point where I find it difficult to really get into like I have with so many other mangas.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

khy posted:

I don't know exactly what it is but somehow Dungeon Meshi just feels sorta.... creepy to me. I get the vibe they're going for but the way the characters end up being presented feels really weirdly offputting and creepy to the point where I find it difficult to really get into like I have with so many other mangas.

How so? I'm not arguing with you, but the way you put it was more or less they feel creepy because they're creepy and creepy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

How so? I'm not arguing with you, but the way you put it was more or less they feel creepy because they're creepy and creepy.
I understand, and it's hard to put down exactly what gives it such an odd vibe to me. I'm sure a large part of it is how the MC fighter (Laius or something like that?) is so focused on food and eating monsters while his sister was eaten and is being digested. The fact that there feels like there's not much actual urgency to get to the dragon and help her really feels offputting. The dwarf also comes off as very strange and creepy.

I realize it's not very helpful to say that I can't pinpoint what makes it feel so weird, but I don't really know how else to explain it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
They ... are creepy and weird. I kinda take that as the point. Chillchack is the least creepy of them, and seems to serve as an audience stand-in at times.
I think that they're just kind of endearing, too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think to some extent it's the fact that Farlyn is already dead and the dungeon is such that they can't rush straight to the dragon. Even moving at top speed, there's a fair amount of downtime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It is quite a lot like Dark Souls in a way. You can't just marathon sprint through the entire dungeon like you're running from an exploding car. You've gotta take it slow, otherwise poo poo like the treasure bugs and sirens and kelpies are gonna catch you unawares.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
If professional dungeon crawling existed in real life it would definitely be one of the careers people on the autism spectrum gravitate towards like programming, moderating internet forums, etc

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Now all I want to know is if the ninja legitimately needed to do the arm chain with the others to get through the blizzard or if she was just loving with them. And if it's the latter, how much entertainment is she getting from the doppelganger antics?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
There's also a big difference in how we perceive death versus how people in-universe perceive it. People have the power to raise the dead, and dungeon crawling as an industry has been going on long enough that multiple characters we've seen have an almost lackadaisical reaction when someone dies because they can always be revived, even though most people know the risks involved.

Laius is pretty much a big weirdo, but he's also correct that rushing in without having a plan (especially for basic stuff like what you're gonna eat) is gonna do more harm than good. The dungeon itself takes days/weeks to get through to the level that they were at when Farlyn was eaten.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Don't real scientists have a doodle corner in their books too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

VibrantPareidolia posted:

There's also a big difference in how we perceive death versus how people in-universe perceive it. People have the power to raise the dead, and dungeon crawling as an industry has been going on long enough that multiple characters we've seen have an almost lackadaisical reaction when someone dies because they can always be revived, even though most people know the risks involved.

Yeah the ex-party member female dwarf points this out in chapter 22.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Now all I want to know is if the ninja legitimately needed to do the arm chain with the others to get through the blizzard or if she was just loving with them. And if it's the latter, how much entertainment is she getting from the doppelganger antics?

Maybe she wants to properly join their party but is too shy to say it.

ninjas: they're not masters of stealth, they're all just extremely shy

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

7c Nickel posted:

Nah I think that weird Marcille is Senshi's too. Dude is just not good with remembering tall people. Flawed tools Chilchack is probably Marcille's since Senshi got a good look at them during the cooking with traps / using them as mimic utensils issues.

I think that Chilchack is Senshi's because he looks like a chubby-faced child which is basically how Senshi sees Chilchack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

khy posted:

I understand, and it's hard to put down exactly what gives it such an odd vibe to me. I'm sure a large part of it is how the MC fighter (Laius or something like that?) is so focused on food and eating monsters while his sister was eaten and is being digested. The fact that there feels like there's not much actual urgency to get to the dragon and help her really feels offputting. The dwarf also comes off as very strange and creepy.

I realize it's not very helpful to say that I can't pinpoint what makes it feel so weird, but I don't really know how else to explain it.
As was said, rushing through the dungeon is a good way to trigger traps, get ambushed by sentient monsters(orcs and such) or aggro a bunch of wild ones(basilisks and such), and exhaust yourself before long. Plus, there's a significantly lower fear of death, as so long as the remains are recovered, there's an almost guaranteed resurrection of anyone who has died while dungeoneering. They have no money so they have to cook and eat the monsters they fight to keep their health up, and Senshi helps this significantly with his knowledge of eating monsters, and Laius's knowledge of monsters in general. The dungeon is absolutely MASSIVE, remember. There's a few shots of zones of gigantic trees, and these areas are in dozens of layers. It's not like, a few football fields long, the dungeon is likely the size of something like Manhattan Island or bigger.

Like yeah they need to hurry, but at the same time, rushing brings its own dangers. And they're going deep enough that recovery of their bodies isn't guaranteed, because not as many people are going down that far.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I too get an 'off' vibe from the cast but I'm pretty sure that's intentional. This is a story about a group of people breaking social norms (eating monsters instead of normal food) for a good cause. The lack of 'permanence' for death also plays a part of it but that's not all.

Laius is a patented weirdo, the entire thing being his idea in the first place (an idea he's had for a really long time.) He (and his sister it seems) also seem to have the most 'mental disconnect' out of the cast. Like he's not really there unless it's something he's excited about (monsters and the eating of.)
Marcille seems pretty normal until, y'know, casual dark arts/necromancy. In the recent chapters I've noticed her being drawn a little more wan/haggard than she was before the encounter with the Red Dragon.
Chillak/Chilchak is a bro (so we can related to him putting up with everyone else being weird.)
Senshi is a dwarf hermit with an adamantine wok. He's living part of Laius's dream with the requisite consequences of isolation that come from being a crazy hermit. He hasn't really strayed from this mold though, so I rank him as the next most-grounded character next to Chillak (Marcille used to be on the same level but then, y'know, casual dark arts/necromancy.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

No direct skill checks, set this up by having each of your players write up a description of their character and everyone else's characters (which only you get to read) a week before the session, do some minor edits for the sake of the doppleganger's introductions and make them work it out on their own.

Whenever one of your players talks in character, assign their dialogue randomly between the player speaking and their dopplegangers.

:perfect: Totally borrowing this next time this comes up in my campaign.

Actually, something a little like this did actually happen. One of my players got abducted during a chaotic battle when the party was split up. I had an idea about his fate that he got replaced by the doppelganger. I had a private one on one talk with the player and asked him if he'd be okay to play as a doppelganger, and he said he was up for it, so he ended up playing as an evil spy replacement for a few sessions, while his real character was just unconscious and imprisoned.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It is explicitly stated for most of the main characters that they aren't well liked by their peers. And their casual attitude towards eating monsters and ancient magic is repeatedly pointed out to be abnormal by secondary characters.

Personally I think there is a (social) depth to this manga that is rarely present in other manga. Like how Marcille initially considered Farlyn to be a weird and dull girl, until she bothered to look past her first impression.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Comedy option for which ones are the real ones: None of them are real. They're all doppelgangers. The party wandered away during the blizzard and the doppelgangers all think that one of the other doppelgangers is the real one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Marcille seems pretty normal until, y'know, casual dark arts/necromancy. In the recent chapters I've noticed her being drawn a little more wan/haggard than she was before the encounter with the Red Dragon.

You're saying that after 16 levels of dungeon and monster cuisine, Marcille looks a lot more tired than before?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I, for one, appreciate Chilchak as the audience stand-in.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RareAcumen posted:

You're saying that after 16 levels of dungeon and monster cuisine, Marcille looks a lot more tired than before?

No, I'd say it's something more subtle than exhaustion. An extra line underneath one of her eyes, a little extra bolding there too. It's something that seems to be sticking around even after resting and in my mind evokes some sort of stress with her.

Then again, that'd also qualify for something she's picked up after everything that's happened :v:

I did breeze through everything again to check my gut on it though and I know the extra details there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Goblin is Very Strong still has the odd problematic issue (this chapter is thankfully empty of them), but I continue to enjoy reading it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chilchak is Mr. Pink, he is the only one that is a drat professional, except he actually comes to care for the people who he is working with.

What I am saying is you should imagine everything he is saying in Steve Buscemi's voice.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

New Dungeon Meshi

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 30, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh my god laius

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope this new party member lasts longer than the others

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This chapter is extremely good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Huh. In a previous chapter it implied each copy was an individual doppelganger monster, but then it turned out it was a single monster casting an illusion. Was that a doppelganger, or was it just some other monster imitating a group of doppergangers? A doppelganger of doppelgangers, as it were.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

This chapter Marcille's hair is extremely good.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What works for the deduction is that there are two layers of information we can use. Something obvious that gets called into question a bit later, and a smaller visual detail that shows how much the Laius knows people.
Chillchack indeed isn't the type to ask for help, but the fact that the same chillchack uses curses in the common tongue despite chapters ago he had a statement about there not being enough insults in common and resorting to halfling ones. But the fake is the one doing the thing that Chillchack almost lost a leg for.

Marcille isn't keen on eating the eggs of humanoids, but the other Marcille masks this by saying it's all for Farlyn with a defeatist attitude. But how she handles water is the clue as well.

Senshi isn't really a hard guess since we all know the square nose one is the fake. But the statement about gathering all the eggs flew under my radar completely.