Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

codo27 posted:

Ublock is set and forget for me. But it can be a nuisance with some things, for example right now trying to add poo poo to cart on monoprice and it just hangs. How should I go about fixing things like that without flat out disabling it for a particular site?
I usually just open in incognito window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey guys I want to transfer all of my Chrome settings from Windows 7 (extentions, bookmarks, saved passwords etc) to a fresh install of Windows 10. Can this be done purely through the Synch function or do I need to copy so files?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Hey guys I want to transfer all of my Chrome settings from Windows 7 (extentions, bookmarks, saved passwords etc) to a fresh install of Windows 10. Can this be done purely through the Synch function or do I need to copy so files?

As long as you sign in with the same account, it will automatically synchronize everything!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Atomizer posted:

As long as you sign in with the same account, it will automatically synchronize everything!

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

if you have any greasemonkey / stylish-stylus/tampermonkey type extensions etc then manually backup that stuff to a safe spot then re-import the stuff after re-installing, everything else should sync fine when you login to your google account and sync the data

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I apologize for what is certain to be a tired conversation, but I did a cursory search through the thread and wasn't able to see it mentioned. Is there a way to embed tweets for SA in the manner it did in Firefox? The recent Firefox update got me to finally get off my butt to complete my switch over to Chrome, but obviously was not able to figure out how to do that step. IIRC in Firefox it was tied to disabling Tracking Protection.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've never used any special forums-related add-ons of any kind, and just pasting direct URLs to tweets causes the forums to display it as an embed when you actually post (doesn't show up this way in Preview, but :justpost: and it'll work.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

"SA Needful" is the Chrome extension that does a lot of what you're asking but it seems to have been abandoned. :sigh: I still have it installed, though, and it still appears to work. :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Craptacular! posted:

I've never used any special forums-related add-ons of any kind, and just pasting direct URLs to tweets causes the forums to display it as an embed when you actually post (doesn't show up this way in Preview, but :justpost: and it'll work.)
I mean I forgot it was a thing to worry about as I was so used to it until I was reading a thread where the tweet was just a link, so at least as it is currently implemented I don't think it's doing what you say on my end at least.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nate RFB posted:

I mean I forgot it was a thing to worry about as I was so used to it until I was reading a thread where the tweet was just a link, so at least as it is currently implemented I don't think it's doing what you say on my end at least.

You've got something weird going on because just pasting the link works.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

You've got something weird going on because just pasting the link works.
Got it, there was a script that was blocked in ScriptSafe. I had thought that most of my settings had made the transition from NoScipt but clearly some were missed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well new Firefox finally broke the camel's back but is there any way to make Chrome's bookmarks more useful? Opening the list from my toolbar takes a good six seconds and then scrolls so impossibly slow it's practically unusable (I have some 6k bookmarks).

I've downloaded this extension in the meantime. It loads in an instant and you can actually scroll through it much faster so it kind of works but it's still kind of sluggish and I'm not quite sure why that has to be. Makes me think that chrome would be much happier if you only had like twenty bookmarks so maybe there's another way and my huge list of old websites I've gathered over the years is a faux pas these days.

I'm using regular old chrome, Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Det_no posted:

Well new Firefox finally broke the camel's back but is there any way to make Chrome's bookmarks more useful? Opening the list from my toolbar takes a good six seconds and then scrolls so impossibly slow it's practically unusable (I have some 6k bookmarks).

I've downloaded this extension in the meantime. It loads in an instant and you can actually scroll through it much faster so it kind of works but it's still kind of sluggish and I'm not quite sure why that has to be. Makes me think that chrome would be much happier if you only had like twenty bookmarks so maybe there's another way and my huge list of old websites I've gathered over the years is a faux pas these days.

What possible use can you get out of having 6000 bookmarks?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This reminds me of people who complain that Windows doesn't support paths longer than 260 characters.

Like, sure, there's probably a technical solution to this, but why?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This reminds me of people who complain that Windows doesn't support paths longer than 260 characters.

Like, sure, there's probably a technical solution to this, but why?

Keeping track of sites over the years? Why wouldn't I? Firefox could do it, Edge could do it. Surely processing and displaying a long text file is not an herculean task.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Det_no posted:

Keeping track of sites over the years? Why wouldn't I? Firefox could do it, Edge could do it. Surely processing and displaying a long text file is not an herculean task.

Because the point of a bookmark is quick access. When you've got 6,000 that's just not going to happen no matter how snappy the browser is. They could almost certainly fix it, but it's such an edge case outside of the normal scope of what bookmarks are intended for - why should they devote developers to this when there's likely a long backlog of bug fixes and new features that have more impact?

You're building some sort of database of websites and using the wrong tool for it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Det_no posted:

It's a solution to your problem, but not necessarily the one you're seeking. Get pinboard. It's not free, but it's absolutely worth it. It can also cache the versions of the sites when you add them, so if they're deleted or changed you can still find the info.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Det_no posted:

How is that keeping track?

Putting an url on a list that large isn't "keeping track". What purpose does it serve? How does it make your browsing better?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because the point of a bookmark is quick access. When you've got 6,000 that's just not going to happen no matter how snappy the browser is. They could almost certainly fix it, but it's such an edge case outside of the normal scope of what bookmarks are intended for - why should they devote developers to this when there's likely a long backlog of bug fixes and new features that have more impact?

You're building some sort of database of websites and using the wrong tool for it.

Other browsers do it fine though. Like... if chrome can't do it just say "chrome can't do it, sorry bud."

Thermopyle posted:

How is that keeping track?

Putting an url on a list that large isn't "keeping track". What purpose does it serve? How does it make your browsing better?

It's a permanent record of stuff I've liked and also referenced for the work. Everything from funny sites to tutorials documents and images also stored locally, often in multiple languages that are easier to bookmark than search for all over again. Why do you sound personally offended? What's the alternative?

How bizarre. I can't be the only one that has something like it, you guys are acting like I asked Google to build me a space station.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got about 3000 bookmarks (they just kind of pile up over 20 years and I rarely clean them out) but there's no delays in my chrome menus. It's entirely possible it's a chrome issue but do you have a SSD?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I've got about 3000 bookmarks (they just kind of pile up over 20 years and I rarely clean them out) but there's no delays in my chrome menus. It's entirely possible it's a chrome issue but do you have a SSD?

Nope, just HDD. The loading itself doesn't take too long, the extension I linked IS far faster though, but then the scrolling speed from the default pop up menu is woefully slow.

In the case of the extension I linked the scrolling is much faster but feels laggy, as if there was some graphic stuff that's making the browser chug. I do plan on buying an SSD come december.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Det_no posted:

How bizarre. I can't be the only one that has something like it, you guys are acting like I asked Google to build me a space station.

File a bug report, just don't be surprised if it's not prioritized because yours is an unusual situation and there's a finite number of developer hours.

e: or find a more appropriate tool to warehouse your thousands of addresses

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 16, 2017

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
This reminds me of the time someone crashed the forums by having too many people on their ignore list.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Det_no posted:

Why do you sound personally offended?

What? I'm trying to understand if there's some useful way of using 6000 bookmarks because I'd sure like to use it! I certainly have no reason to be offended at the arrangement of bits on your computer.

How does having an url somewhere in a pile of 6000 urls help you?

Will you ever have a need to reference url #123 and how would you know that is the url you need? How is your system better than just Google?

I find that usually people with a large bookmark collection are just doing it out of some compulsion and have never thought about it critically.

From everything I've seen over the years large link collections like that are actually better served with a full text capture into something like evernote or onenote because you can at least search and it takes care of the significant problem of link rot. However, I'd certainly like to hear about a good way of using a pile of urls because it'd be easier than clipping pages to onenote like I do now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

What? I'm trying to understand if there's some useful way of using 6000 bookmarks because I'd sure like to use it! I certainly have no reason to be offended at the arrangement of bits on your computer.

How does having an url somewhere in a pile of 6000 urls help you?

Will you ever have a need to reference url #123 and how would you know that is the url you need? How is your system better than just Google?

I find that usually people with a large bookmark collection are just doing it out of some compulsion and have never thought about it critically.

From everything I've seen over the years large link collections like that are actually better served with a full text capture into something like evernote or onenote because you can at least search and it takes care of the significant problem of link rot. However, I'd certainly like to hear about a good way of using a pile of urls because it'd be easier than clipping pages to onenote like I do now.

Oh I see what's happening. No, Firefox's bookmark sidebar has a search function too so I have that covered. Like I said I have a lot of bookmarks that are originally in russian, japanese, korean and other languages that you'd have to use extra keyboard language to search for so instead it's far easier to just bookmark them with a label written in english and search for that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Det_no posted:

i like that whenever firefox makes an effort to modernise people surface with absolutely pathological edge cases like this

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Ulillilillias of the browser world are killing innovation!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Det_no posted:

Oh I see what's happening. No, Firefox's bookmark sidebar has a search function too so I have that covered. Like I said I have a lot of bookmarks that are originally in russian, japanese, korean and other languages that you'd have to use extra keyboard language to search for so instead it's far easier to just bookmark them with a label written in english and search for that.

This would be a good reason to have some bookmarks, but all the ones you have can't possibly be exclusively non-English. At a certain point it takes longer to hunt for a bookmark than to just hit Ctrl+E to get to the address bar. Additionally, note that when you do that, Chrome's address bar (or "smart" bar, whatever it's called) not only autocompletes from your history, it also searches through your bookmarks. You should be able to bookmark whatever you want and then just start typing it out and select the desired one when Chrome finds it.

Beyond that, this is a more sophisticated bookmark manager directly from Google that you may find useful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atomizer posted:

This would be a good reason to have some bookmarks, but all the ones you have can't possibly be exclusively non-English. At a certain point it takes longer to hunt for a bookmark than to just hit Ctrl+E to get to the address bar. Additionally, note that when you do that, Chrome's address bar (or "smart" bar, whatever it's called) not only autocompletes from your history, it also searches through your bookmarks. You should be able to bookmark whatever you want and then just start typing it out and select the desired one when Chrome finds it.

Beyond that, this is a more sophisticated bookmark manager directly from Google that you may find useful.

I use that bookmark manager and it's really good. But I have like 100 at most, so yeah.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there an extension/theme in Chrome that can remove that white bar at the top, and/or just compact all the wasted space up top?

I'm setting up a Windows gaming PC after using Safari for five years, it just seems way too spread out, and I can't be arsed to go back to Opera like I used to before using a Mac

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

r/theredpill recommends reading your wife's passwords in Chrome because Chrome doesn't encrypt them; you can't do it in IE. Great job, secure system!
http://twitter.com/Nicole_Cliffe/status/932062121902292992

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there an extension/theme in Chrome that can remove that white bar at the top, and/or just compact all the wasted space up top?

I'm setting up a Windows gaming PC after using Safari for five years, it just seems way too spread out, and I can't be arsed to go back to Opera like I used to before using a Mac

What white bar? The address bar? :confused: How about hitting F11 to go full-screen?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Atomizer posted:

What white bar? The address bar? :confused: How about hitting F11 to go full-screen?

The white strip that's above the actual tabs and almost half their height again. It bothers the poo poo out of me.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 20, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

The white strip that's above the actual tabs and almost half their height again. It bothers the poo poo out of me.

It only occurs in a regular window, and disappears if you maximize the window. You may be stuck with it, though, Chrome has very little you can do to change the interface.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

It only occurs in a regular window, and disappears if you maximize the window. You may be stuck with it, though, Chrome has very little you can do to change the interface.

Well, that's unfortunate. I dislike using full screen since few of the sites I visit make use of even 1920 properly.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not ideal. I find that using a theme like this at least makes the wasted space pop less. I also like this one for my work profile.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just finally updated my Chrome version on OSX and now I get a connection refused to localhost when I have localhost forced to resolve to a different IP via /etc/hosts. It's set up this way for a weird development situation where localhost actually points to my Windows dev machine for a .NET API. If I remove this hosts entry so localhost points to 127.0.0.1 it will load local environments fine.

localhost loads fine in my other browsers when pointing to a different IP (Safari/FF), and when pointing to 127.0.0.1.

Did Chrome add a security feature lately that would prevent this behavior? How do I disable it?

edit:
brew install socat
sudo socat TCP-LISTEN:80,fork TCP:10.0.2.25:80

gently caress it. Works.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 27, 2017

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Any idea what happened to the extension "shortcut manager"? It let you create keyboard shortcuts for JS or browser actions. It seems to have disappeared.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Looks like it's gone

How to Create Custom Keyboard Shortcuts For Extensions in Google Chrome

quote:

A Google employee previously offered a “Shortcut Manager” extension that allowed you to set your own custom keyboard shortcuts for browser actions, but it’s been removed from the Chrome Web Store. It looks like Google removed this feature in Chrome 53.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ugh.

It still works on my laptop, just wanted it on my work computer as well. Is it possible to download an installed extension and install it somewhere else manually?