Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm waiting for how they explain away the android on the bridge.

They built her out of parts from Ensign Daft Punk. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If Discovery is gonna be basically alone for the rest of the season at the far end of space or in a different universe or whatever I hope they finally go ahead and make the people we see on the bridge actual characters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

I’m wondering if anyone in the B-tier cast is going to be upgraded to main next season. Dr. Culber seems obvious, but they also like showing us Detmer a lot.

I'm torn between whether they should focus on doing this or on giving more coherent character to the main cast. As has been said, Burnham is barely there. Her only consistent character attribute is that she drives the plot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I thought the android was probably a cyborg

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shibawanko posted:

I thought the android was probably a cyborg

Yeah otherwise as a serving officer all that Measure of a Man stuff should have come up a century earlier.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Any theory is plausible since they don't know what she is either.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

McSpanky posted:

Any theory is plausible since they don't know what she is either.

Obviously she’s just trying to keep a low profile after the incident on Namek.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

eyebeem posted:

Discovery is a modern show, and the first Trek being produced after a huge shift in the cinematic style of big budget television. Of course it's going to be leagues above any previous Trek show.

The Orville is being made to evoke the feel of early-mid 90s seasons of TNG and thus won't be nearly as "good" as Discovery in terms of cinematography or overall visual quality.

Like, yeah, a 2017 Honda Accord is way better than a 1992 Honda Accord. A 1992 Honda Accord made today, brand new, is going to drive just like a new one from 25 years ago, and you might prefer that, but it's still a much less "impressive" car from a technological or mechanical perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlNeiY4Rf4

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Dirty posted:

Anyone notice how that last jump was a little different? Looks like the ship splits into two duplicates. And instead of whooshing downwards, like it does normally, it whooshes up and down like two ships going in different directions. Gotta mean something.

I have no idea what the spore drive effects are suppose to mean. What is happening to the ship every time it does this? Is it really spinning around like that every time it jumps or what? I do know it looks cool as gently caress though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ship is going into the subspace spore network and coming out the other end each time

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nullsmack posted:

I have no idea what the spore drive effects are suppose to mean. What is happening to the ship every time it does this? Is it really spinning around like that every time it jumps or what? I do know it looks cool as gently caress though.

It is a 3-d representation of a four dimensional effect that if accurately rendered would blow our tiny minds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It is a 3-d representation of a four dimensional effect that if accurately rendered would blow our tiny minds.

Or explode our TVs

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The answer is midichlorians.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My theory is that Airiam is an armature for a tiny alien person à la Men in Black.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

teamcharlie posted:

"Captain! That Federation ship is jumping around ours like a bunch of dipshits! Are they having a stroke? Should we blow them up or leave or something? They clearly know where we are despite our cloak and that's probably bad."

"No, lieutenant! Your cowardice betrays you. We must sit right here for ten minutes and wait for their transformation sequence to finish or whatever. According to the 2032 Akihabara addendum to the Geneva convention, anime rules apply. They're turning into Voltron, right?"

Aside from that whole plot point, my favorite scene is when Mike stands toe-to-toe with the biggest, baddest Klingon in a knife fight for a good few minutes like it's no big deal. It's just lovely to see that the greatest warriors this side of the galaxy have almost three quarters the strength of a small, reasonably athletic human woman.

You see, Vulcans are very strong.

We have thought this through.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The effect really does look like rotating spheres of latitude on a projection of a 4-sphere.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Considering the infinite nature of the mycelial network, the jump effect then seems to me to be the Discovery entering a state of multiple probability vectors and when it stops is when the navigator finishes tracing to the desired endpoint. Which is when the vector collapses and Discovery "falls in" to it's new position.

As for Lorca, consider this possibility: Lorca's last ship wasn't lost, but was pulled-in to the Mirror Universe (or alternate universe as the case may be). He made it back to the Prime Trek timeline and has been trying to get back to save his old ship and crew ever since. And along the way he's been collecting very specific crew members with a connection to the original starting point for the series: the Shinzou Incident.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 15, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Arglebargle III posted:

You see, Vulcans are very strong.

We have thought this through.

Makes sense. Mike is trying to bang Tyler, and he's secretly a Klingon. Therefore, Pon Farr.

SpeakSlow posted:

Considering the infinite nature of the mycelial network, the jump effect then seems to me to be the Discovery entering a state of multiple probability vectors and when it stops is when the navigator finishes tracing to the desired endpoint. Which is when the vector collapses and Discovery "falls in" to it's new position.

As for Lorca, consider this possibility: Lorca's last ship wasn't lost, but was pulled-in to the Mirror Universe (or alternate universe as the case may be). He made it back to the Prime Trek timeline and has been trying to get back to save his old ship and crew ever since. And along the way he's been collecting very specific crew members with a connection to the original starting point for the series: the Shinzou Incident.

I like the idea because Lorca seems a lot more noble in that context. He's clearly evil, though, so that's not it.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 15, 2017

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All Good Things.
Borg-addled Riker.
Beep beep boop.

Added: and who's to say that we didn't see two distinct Discoverys during that last jump? Ours went there and theirs went....wait for it....here.

Dun, dun, duuuuuun.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 15, 2017

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbozig posted:

Same bullshit that ruined Wonder Woman, a movie where the character who claims to hate war tells off the politician who suggests that maybe negotiating a peace is better than feeding tens of thousands more young men into a meat grinder. Because apparently in her mind the only honorable course is to try to use overwhelming force to win the war at all costs. Because she just hates war so much, you see.

I think Diana's point was that in her view, it was all being caused by one god, and he would never let it end, ever. She believed was the only one who could stop him, and the politicians were stopping her from stopping him, thus stopping the war. So I disagree with your assessment of WW.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dirty posted:

Anyone notice how that last jump was a little different? Looks like the ship splits into two duplicates. And instead of whooshing downwards, like it does normally, it whooshes up and down like two ships going in different directions. Gotta mean something.

it means quantum duplicates :suicide:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Diana doesn’t abhor violence. She loves a good fight as all the Amazons do. What she does abhor is violence against the innocent and senseless violence. That’s why she makes a big deal about women and children being used as slaves when they liberate the village and her chastising of the general when he says that a soldier’s job is to die. She again mentions the killing of women and children and the killing of “people they can’t even see” at the end when she’s arguing with Steve in the guard tower.

As for Airiam, she was originally described as “a robot, not an android” but now she’s been changed to an “augmented alien”. Ensign Daft Punk was a normal human that was wearing a “tactical helmet”.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

“tactical helmet”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
You guys are making decent points about WW. I guess I just need to turn off the historical nitpicking and keep telling myself "I know they are saying 'World War I' but they really mean 'that big comic book hero fight with gods in trenches'"

I don't know. I just have a hard time dealing with fictionalized versions of real world atrocities, especially when their fictional explanations let the real perpetrators off the hook. Like if a movie plot went "and the Holocaust was caused by evil aliens" I'd be put off a bit, even if their evil alien plot was super cool.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jimbozig posted:

You guys are making decent points about WW. I guess I just need to turn off the historical nitpicking and keep telling myself "I know they are saying 'World War I' but they really mean 'that big comic book hero fight with gods in trenches'"

I don't know. I just have a hard time dealing with fictionalized versions of real world atrocities, especially when their fictional explanations let the real perpetrators off the hook. Like if a movie plot went "and the Holocaust was caused by evil aliens" I'd be put off a bit, even if their evil alien plot was super cool.

Tbh I’m kind of happy that we live in a time where everyone remotely involved in WW2 will soon be dead, so that we can get that bitching movie adaptation of it with knights riding on unicorns from that one PBF comic

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So the entire federation has been trying to get a solution to the cloaking device issue. But these guys have it solved in ten minutes?

I know they have access to the spore drive so it's a bit different but that was so peculiar. "In three hours, solve this huge issue".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But that and the huge loud discovery sensors on the Klingon ship were a bit much.
How did they not hear her communicator translating stuff mega loudly too?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jimbozig posted:

Like if a movie plot went "and the Holocaust was caused by evil aliens" I'd be put off a bit, even if their evil alien plot was super cool.

Star Trek has done this already.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

skasion posted:

Tbh I’m kind of happy that we live in a time where everyone remotely involved in WW2 will soon be dead, so that we can get that bitching movie adaptation of it with knights riding on unicorns from that one PBF comic

The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them sequel is coming out in 2018, actually.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

So the entire federation has been trying to get a solution to the cloaking device issue. But these guys have it solved in ten minutes?

Isn't Klingons' ability to cloak still a problem in the future though?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

imagine having to apologise for what you said in a conversation about wonder woman

Our society doesn't deserve to continue

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

withak posted:

Isn't Klingons' ability to cloak still a problem in the future though?

Well the Discovery hasn't relayed the information to Starfleet yet...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And cloaking devices have always been presented as an evolving technology - there's a couple of episodes of TNG and Voyager where they run into older Klingon ships and have no trouble detecting them because they're using old cloaking technology.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

As for Airiam, she was originally described as “a robot, not an android” but now she’s been changed to an “augmented alien”. Ensign Daft Punk was a normal human that was wearing a “tactical helmet”.

a real rude dude posted:

I hope this clears things up for you.

'Airiam's nature has been subject to a number of divergent background statements. StarTrek.com described Airiam as being a "synthetic-Human hybrid", while Ted Sullivan tweeted that she was an alien. Meanwhile After Trek: "Episode 3" described her species as "augmented alien", while After Trek: "Episode 5", involving Gretchen J. Berg, Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick called her instead an "augmented Human".'

:iiam:

The_Doctor posted:

My theory is that Airiam is an armature for a tiny alien person à la Men in Black.

This is clearly the best option.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McSpanky posted:

:iiam:

This is clearly the best option.
In the After Trek episode they suggested that she might be able to swap out parts depending on the mission requirements.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Bloop posted:

His thirst for vengeance carries him to countless mirror and alternate universes, killing every possible iteration of Tilly and nearly wiping her out of the multiverse until The One Tilly who received the power of all of her executed alternates shows up and goes all Kes on the ship. She goes on to become the first Q and one of her errant toenail clippings evolves into species 8472.

#betterthandiscovery

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like / dislike that every side character on the bridge is a hot 25 year old

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

pidan posted:

I like / dislike that every side character on the bridge is a hot 25 year old

If it gets us more Lieutenant Rhys I have no problems. :swoon:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Drone posted:

If it gets us more Lieutenant Rhys I have no problems. :swoon:

:swoon: :hf: :swoon:

Black lady pilot is good too tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

teamcharlie posted:

"No, lieutenant! Your cowardice betrays you. We must sit right here for ten minutes and wait for their transformation sequence to finish or whatever. According to the 2032 Akihabara addendum to the Geneva convention, anime rules apply. They're turning into Voltron, right?"

apophenium posted:

Yeah, like when they were developing the plan to board the ship of the dead. She put the logic on Lorca and he begrudgingly agreed. Then once on the ship, logic flies out the window and Burnham goes for the human life sign and then gets in a fist fight with Kol. Her warped sense and use of "logic" is just so ridiculous and uneven and no one ever really calls her on it. I just want a stable main character.

Burnham's logic is that by rescuing the prisoner, they had a place to wait while Discovery is doing the Spore Jumps. It turns out that was impossible because...

Kol saw that Starfleet was obviously planning something weird with all these jumps so he was going to warp away. That's why Burnham's had to reveal herself and bait Kol into a fight. You know, something about needs of many vs her life.

People are bad at watching shows.