Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, it was gone in the version that launched with iOS 7.

iOS 6:

iOS 7:

wow both of those have aged pretty poorly looks-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'd nearly forgotten how dogshit the iOS 6 podcasts.app looked. Wowzers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

hadji murad posted:

How precise the pencil for the ipad pro?

I study and write Japanese and was wondering if it would be useful to write in the answers of pdfs I make of my workbooks.

It's super precise, and has pressure/angle sensitivity to the point where you can do passable calligraphy.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've got a 9.7" iPad Pro and am looking for a decent sleeve that also accommodates an apple pencil. I don't want a case on my iPad but I want something that'll protect it from scratches and such when I throw it in my backpack or whatever. Something like the official leather sleeve for the 10.5" is probably what I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant to get one of those (or a knockoff on amazon) if the slight size difference between the models makes the sleeve loose or whatever.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Phthisis posted:

I've got a 9.7" iPad Pro and am looking for a decent sleeve that also accommodates an apple pencil. I don't want a case on my iPad but I want something that'll protect it from scratches and such when I throw it in my backpack or whatever. Something like the official leather sleeve for the 10.5" is probably what I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant to get one of those (or a knockoff on amazon) if the slight size difference between the models makes the sleeve loose or whatever.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I got this one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Leather...872.m2749.l2649 and it works fine. The leather isn’t as nice as apple’s but functionally they’re identical. It was a really tight fit on the 10.5 at first so I doubt it would be too loose for the 9.7.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

hadji murad posted:

What’s the easiest way to annotate a document? I already have Goodreader but don’t want to click something before writing.

I want to add the pdf then go hog wild.

I do most of my handwriting in the stock Notes app, you should be able to import documents directly into it using the camera on iOS 11 if i recall correctly? I don't use that feature really, but can also add my recommendation to the Pencil.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

onesixtwo posted:

I do most of my handwriting in the stock Notes app, you should be able to import documents directly into it using the camera on iOS 11 if i recall correctly? I don't use that feature really, but can also add my recommendation to the Pencil.

You cannot write on top of pdfs in notes.app, but you can write aroundunderneath them in a dedicated handwriting section.

I'm not joking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Microcenter near you, they have the iPad Pros for $500 right now. In-store only, so pickup or get someone to price match.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use the feature where touching the screen with a pencil opens up Notes? I can't seem to get it to work.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Make sure you've gone to Settings -> Notes -> Access Notes from Lock Screen and turn it on. I had to do that before it started working that way.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Biodome posted:

Make sure you've gone to Settings -> Notes -> Access Notes from Lock Screen and turn it on. I had to do that before it started working that way.

I've done that, but it doesn't seem to enable it, are there any other settings? The pen works fine in other apps.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My infant knocked my iPad off the coffee table and the screen cracked, but there was no visible damage to the metal shell so I just took it to the Apple Store and was like “I dunno what happened.” Got a new one for free :cool:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Congrats on scamming the system! 👍

Weedle
May 31, 2006

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shoulda traded them.the infant for the new iPad.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just got to throw the whole kid out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'll never understand people who can casually lie like that. I mean, gently caress Apple. They can take the hit. That's not the point.

Is a cracked ipad worth simultaneously lying and stealing? Is that really all it takes to buy your integrity? It's just sad.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Taima posted:

I'll never understand people who can casually lie like that. I mean, gently caress Apple. They can take the hit. That's not the point.

Is a cracked ipad worth simultaneously lying and stealing? Is that really all it takes to buy your integrity? It's just sad.

i think apple being able to take the hit is literally the entire point. good job managing to equate seeing if you can get away with not giving a multi billion dollar company money with abandoning your integrity though, that's pretty good

if it comes out that the apple employee who gave him the repair got fired because of it then you might have a case, but seeing as that hasn't happened then what you've got is a literal victimless crime

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi Home.app users, does your layout also look weird with poo poo going off screen?

Is there a way to rearrange these buttons or what, because the last one is off screen and I can't do anything about it. Also there's no real order to how these buttons are shown and it's kicking me into some fevered OCD territory.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

i think apple being able to take the hit is literally the entire point. good job managing to equate seeing if you can get away with not giving a multi billion dollar company money with abandoning your integrity though, that's pretty good

if it comes out that the apple employee who gave him the repair got fired because of it then you might have a case, but seeing as that hasn't happened then what you've got is a literal victimless crime

I don't really care for this argument and I don't check this thread that often, but it shouldn't be a factor if one person or entity can take the hit. If you lie to Oprah and say you need $100 to get meds for your dog, you still lied and stole money. It's not victimless, the victim is just not immediately phased by it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You’re right, getting a damaged device replaced under warranty is like running a charity scam. In fact, I also made sure to grab a big handful out of the Salvation Army bucket on my way out of the mall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Exercising your warranty is like stealing from Apple. You truly have no shame.

You monster.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is it just me, or is browsing the forums while listening to music impossible? Music always stops after each pageload.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Is it just me, or is browsing the forums while listening to music impossible? Music always stops after each pageload.

Are you using Safari or the Awful app?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Taima posted:

I don’t know about iPads, but on the iPhone Apple does cover certain cracks under warranty. Things like a single crack, or crack by the speaker hole.

I’ve had enough customers tell me that Apple refused to cover something that should be covered (my favorite being the lady they refused to warranty a DOA iPad 4 for, then the rep processed it when she left, keeping the replacement) that I have no doubt this one was a warranty thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yeah, the guy told me it was policy for them to do warranty replacements for hairline cracks if there’s no visible point of impact.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Weedle posted:

Are you using Safari or the Awful app?

Safari. I’ve never noticed this happen with any other website.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Safari. I’ve never noticed this happen with any other website.

I used to see it constantly before I started using an adblocker. Rogue ads steal the media playback system or whatever so they can play a video of a Jeep driving over some rocks. For the forums specifically, though, just use the Awful app.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
is major lag when opening the notification bar on the 10.5 normal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

On iOS 11, anything is possible

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

On iOS 11, anything is possible

Except for running 3 apps on a first gen pro lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Depths posted:

I’m having the same issue. I think something in the notification shade is not rendering immediately and causing the delay.

I haven’t seen it since I updated to 11.1.2 though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Depths posted:

on a lot of older devices, sadly yes. on new devices no

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Guys thank you all for the iPad Pro recommendation. This thing is so drat legit. After using an iPad mini 2 for the past few years I’m just blown away by what it can do. My kids use the pencil and can’t get enough of drawing pics and coloring. I have been using pages a lot and it’s very easy, and the multitasking/pic in pic is so good.

It’s on sale at Best Buy for $524 right now. Pretty drat good deal for how incredible this screen and speed is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I really wanted the Pro, but with the Black Friday sale plus a Staples coupon the iPad was almost half the price of the 9.7" Pro. $360 CAD for the iPad vs $599 for the 9.7" Pro was just too big a gap to justify for a secondary device.

That display is really nice though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Don't worry, apparently Apple covers screen cracks without obvious damage because that usually indicates a defect in the glass.

Considering I had to pay to get one of those replaced because I didn't realize that was Apple's policy, my failure just counteracted his fraudulent activity and the world is still balanced. Namaste.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Grassy Knowles posted:

Except for running 3 apps on a first gen pro lol

I don't have any problem doing this? Hell, I can even have a 4th doing streaming video in picture-in-picture.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, the first-gen Pro is still powerful as hell.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My first gen 12.9" pro will likely get replaced next year so my partner can upgrade from her iPad Air 2, which is also still absurdly powerful itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sleepwalkers posted:

I'd nearly forgotten how dogshit the iOS 6 podcasts.app looked. Wowzers.

This but iOS 6 and older in general, man it has not aged well.

Taima posted:

Former genius here, we know you’re full of poo poo and we know what wiggle room company policy gives us. Typically if you’re not a douche to us we’ll work out the best deal we can for you within the policies laid out.

protip: short of still being visibly wet there’s no way to tell if an iPad has liquid damage or not

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 26, 2017