Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

On that deleted video, it seemed to run fairly okay, when it was just the several dozen commandos on the launch pads.

No it didn't. It started to dip and run below 20 fps whenever you were looking at more than a dozen people on the screen (on a fresh server, with no ships spawned, and the players standing around doing nothing).

The upshot is that it will probably have a decent framerate most of the time, since you probably won't run into that many people at once on the live server. It seems like they have some rudimentary network "bind culling" code which allows the gpu to render new frames after receiving a subset of the server state. If that subset is a good chunk of the server state (i.e. you aren't culling most things), you are essentially going back to the how the old network code worked (along with the same performance issues). They still haven't improved upon the scaling problem the old code had. In addition, the culling code seems to be pretty buggy since everyone was holding invisible guns, holstered crates, and people were in hosed up looking animation states.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

XK posted:

Admittedly, I can't wait for rockstars to give me GTA 6.

The journey of development, though. :allears:

I wouldn't suggest looking forward to it, since TakeTwo has mandated Rockstar put microtransactions in all games going forward. May or may not include Red Dead Redemption 2.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

If gamers weren't loving used to being exploited, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It is a pointless discussion when you consider that the crazy amount of money being made, is because the people who are buying them, outnumber those crying foul. So companies like EA, Activision et al, have ZERO incentive to stop the practice. It all migrated from mobile.

I do feel that Star Citizen did help publishers realize just how far they can actually go with something though. I’m not sure how they’ll act on it, but they know there are people out there stupid enough to spend a lot of money on something dumb.

I suppose the only good thing though is that unlike SC, EA actually has to release a game and for them the sales of that game result in profit, as opposed to unlimited preorders.

It may be possible that the Star Citizen debacle doesn’t affect big business a lot, but it will no doubt impact smaller businesses and the indie scene as people realize they can unilaterally lie to people to tell them anything they want to hear to make a buck.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Maybe modelling the ships as hundreds of components that have to be individually synchronized across the network for all players was not the best idea?

No, that’s definitely not it. That would imply Chris Roberts is a dipshit who doesn’t understand basic networking and video game practices for handling objects.

It’s definitely some other person who failed to do what Chris’ Golden advice said to do and went off on her or his own.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

If gamers weren't loving used to being exploited, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It is a pointless discussion when you consider that the crazy amount of money being made, is because the people who are buying them, outnumber those crying foul. So companies like EA, Activision et al, have ZERO incentive to stop the practice. It all migrated from mobile.

You been watch too much jim sterling. gently caress konami. But yes a lot of the dirty practices we see now are from the mobile genre. And those patents are scary as gently caress - smart but scary as gently caress.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Gremlich may very well be the dumbest person I've ever seen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

i see a lot of tweets chock full of reasons why star citizen is great and still coming out and derek is the worst, but i don't see a lot of cool star citizen gameplay videos

This has been The Star Citizen Paradox for a few years now. Lots of photos, lots of renders of high definition models, lots of weird commentary about how complete and great the game is... but nothing to actually back those claims up.

Better check trusted news outlet pixelemonade to see if they’ve broken this case wide open yet.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

This has been The Star Citizen Paradox for a few years now. Lots of photos, lots of renders of high definition models, lots of weird commentary about how complete and great the game is... but nothing to actually back those claims up.

Better check trusted news outlet pixelemonade to see if they’ve broken this case wide open yet.

Personally, I rely on Christian Today for up-to-the minute news on cutting edge Star Citizen advancements.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ZenMaster posted:

Don't laugh. Years back a goon watched Donnie Darko and dumped his girlfriends because they didn't have a relationship like Donnie's and his gf.

Someone find that post it was gold.

That’s definitely weird. But it’s not like everybody on the internet/world is a vestige of sanity and logic, even if they did pay $10 to post on SA.

Sounds legitimately funny, albeit also sad. It’s like one of those bittersweet posts.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Doug Sisk posted:

I think it's just meant to be denigrating, like calling people 'boy' or something.

If I recall, Skippy ended up being up in the 1970’s to early early 1980’s and it was used to imply somebody did something stupid and are probably retarded in some way. It was used before people could start being more vulgar on “prime time” TV.

This one was before my time really, but I think that’s pretty much it’s birth and origin. It’s not used by people for the most part anymore unless they’re >35 ish and remember it from way back in the day. The older that person is the more likely they may be to use it.

I could be wrong though, but that’s how I heard it used. Only on TV really and by old people who worked on cars and tractors.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golli posted:

Personally, I rely on Christian Today for up-to-the minute news on cutting edge Star Citizen advancements.

Thank heavens there are more! And they’re always better! I bet this one cuts above its weight too! It’s even more legit of CIG employees tweeted about it with a link to the article. :)

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

If I recall, Skippy ended up being up in the 1970’s to early early 1980’s and it was used to imply somebody did something stupid and are probably retarded in some way. It was used before people could start being more vulgar on “prime time” TV.

This one was before my time really, but I think that’s pretty much it’s birth and origin. It’s not used by people for the most part anymore unless they’re >35 ish and remember it from way back in the day. The older that person is the more likely they may be to use it.

I could be wrong though, but that’s how I heard it used. Only on TV really and by old people who worked on cars and tractors.

You got it, sport.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Variable 5 posted:

You got it, sport.

Thanks, sparky.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Hey, glitches, oh, glitches, oh, glitches, oh, glitches
Hey, glitches, oh, glitches, oh

He tried to get a ship down in Port Olisar
Clipping through the walls and floors
They said, "You're so lame
You're breaking the game"

Glitchy glitchy ya ya mama
Glitchy glitchy ya ya here
Brokeass doors and walls, oh no no
Crappy Version 3 point 0

Veux-tu rembourser avec moi, ce soir?
Veux-tu rembourser avec moi?

C'est Magnifique :five::five::five:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
All right, which one of you assholes is @iq_derek? It's been dumb as gently caress for a while now, but it's getting stupid and apparent. Own up. Mirificus?

Also, the game stuttering in Port Olisar has nothing to do with the game being in space or on a lovely planet surface, it's about netcode and clients. They're obviously working on multiplayer fidelity threading technology that they're going to license to loving Netflix and poo poo so stop spreading FUD.

Also, if 3.0 is such a god drat catastrophe, how come Derek isn't writing about it? He said it's because it's too BIG of a mess. How has this ever stopped him before? Put two and two together, plebs. Buy in now before they close the doors.

Only parts of this is sarcasm.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is a perfectly normal thing to discuss and be confused about during videogame development

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wuxi posted:

Gremlich may very well be the dumbest person I've ever seen

He truly is. Bar none.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Variable 5 posted:

You got it, sport.

The feminine version is 'Muffy' or 'Buffy'. Skippy comes from the nickname that 80s-90s era country club teens/early 20s used in lieu of their given name. i.e., Sebastian Oglethorpe IV, my friends call me Skip.

Skippy is intended to reflect a down-to-earth disdain for entitled know-nothing young 'uns.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Golli posted:

:lol:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Golli posted:

Skippy is intended to reflect a down-to-earth disdain for entitled know-nothing young 'uns.

this is kind of ironic cuz Derek is basically the Grouchy Old Man Of Internet Mountain

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

The feminine version is 'Muffy' or 'Buffy'. Skippy comes from the nickname that 80s-90s era country club teens/early 20s used in lieu of their given name. i.e., Sebastian Oglethorpe IV, my friends call me Skip.

Thanks, tiger.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

you cant fill a whole universe with 100 solarsystem with no tools

CIG has a few thousand tools who buy every new ship

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bushwa!

All you bluenose lollygagging four-flushers are just envious because Roberts is an egg who knows his onions and his sheba is a true bearcat.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
The new MakeApp is hilarious, and I love the outrage it’s created.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

trucutru posted:

Bushwa!

All you bluenose lollygagging four-flushers are just envious because Roberts is an egg who knows his onions and his sheba is a true bearcat.

Slow down there champ.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:eyepoop:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jesus!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hotsy-totsy!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Variable 5 posted:

Thanks, tiger.
Don't mention it, spadge.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Can we get an NSFW tag on poo poo like this? MODDDDSSS!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this thread has really gone all aphex twin all of a sudden

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
MakeApp the ChrisBear

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Mods?

Exorcists?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Oh my god.

Freelancer's modern day popularity.

Heaven help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Quavers posted:

MakeApp the ChrisBear