Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

:siren: New USCSB video :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZmUVQMh9qM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Arkema_plant_explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/15/recycling-company-apologises-after-trial-over-shredder-death

quote:

A recycling company has apologised after an agency worker was dragged into an industrial waste shredder and killed.

Karlis Pavasars fell on to a conveyor belt while cleaning at the Mid UK Recycling plant near Ancaster, Lincolnshire, in July 2013 and was carried into the equipment. His body could be identified only by matching samples with DNA from his toothbrush. Body fragments, a boot and parts of Pavasars’s hi-vis jacket were found inside the machine.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Rad-daddio posted:

What's the round thing under the glass, a Flux Capacitor?

It's where an electric meter would go. The meter is removed and jumpered right now, free electricity (for now)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Having some sort of black powder incinerator next to a bunch of illegal fireworks would ve a bad idea

They were soaking them in drums of diesel and burning them but it was taking too long. Not sure why taking them apart would have been any faster. Feeding them into an incinerator would have been pretty safe assuming they didn't pack enough for it to detonate..hahahaa.

The whole operation was in the middle of nowhere and the fireworks stored in an old bunker which was the only 2 things they did right.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

oohhboy posted:

They were soaking them in drums of diesel and burning them but it was taking too long. Not sure why taking them apart would have been any faster. Feeding them into an incinerator would have been pretty safe assuming they didn't pack enough for it to detonate..hahahaa.

The whole operation was in the middle of nowhere and the fireworks stored in an old bunker which was the only 2 things they did right.

Fireworks seem the simplest possible thing to get rid of.

One match and the problem is solved. You even get a fun show to enjoy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

There's a term for the condition of the body afterwards: morselized.
:smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would expect taking apart fireworks to have something to do with them being indeterminately old (so can't guarantee they'll blow up from normal use) and full of who knows because of the salts and metals used to color the discharge. You can run across exhaust emissions issues really fast if you aren't 100% sure what you're burning

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just dig a huge hole, throw all the fireworks in, stick a tube down and cover it all up with dirt, then toss a match down the tube.

Maybe I should go into the bomb disposal business.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spog posted:

Fireworks seem the simplest possible thing to get rid of.

One match and the problem is solved. You even get a fun show to enjoy.

That was literally the first thing I thought that would have been safer since anything else would be safer. When the video got to the bit about the drums being too slow I though "Why don't they get a couple big garbage skips?" to leverage economies of scale.

zedprime posted:

I would expect taking apart fireworks to have something to do with them being indeterminately old (so can't guarantee they'll blow up from normal use) and full of who knows because of the salts and metals used to color the discharge. You can run across exhaust emissions issues really fast if you aren't 100% sure what you're burning

Representative sampling would have been enough. But the plan was take them apart one at the time. I don't think pollution, gassed or killed was a concern they had if they had any.

Mozi posted:

Just dig a huge hole, throw all the fireworks in, stick a tube down and cover it all up with dirt, then toss a match down the tube.

Maybe I should go into the bomb disposal business.

Might detonate from being confined like that. Open pit with a roof for shrapnel. Dig/cover remains to dispose of pollution.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

oohhboy posted:

That was literally the first thing I thought that would have been safer since anything else would be safer. When the video got to the bit about the drums being too slow I though "Why don't they get a couple big garbage skips?" to leverage economies of scale.

Representative sampling would have been enough. But the plan was take them apart one at the time. I don't think pollution, gassed or killed was a concern they had if they had any.

Might detonate from being confined like that. Open pit with a roof for shrapnel. Dig/cover remains to dispose of pollution.
Dealing with pit waste regulations and the active/passive safeguards needed would be enough for me to consider if it was at all possible to use an incinerator. And dumping into diesel has it's advantages with representative sampling and liquid feed control.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There's a term for the condition of the body afterwards: morselized.
:smith:

I prefer homogenised.

As in Industrial Mouse homogenizer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

haveblue posted:

I think it's saying more that a child of that size and in that relative location didn't trip the truck's sensors.

And/or that the automated systems are programmed to not cause a full emergency stop in the event of a small animal running in front of the truck. That the small animal happens to be human isn't something the system could be reasonably expected to identify.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Open pit with a roof for shrapnel. Dig/cover remains to dispose of pollution.

People died doing that too, they mention that in the video.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_z4a00cCQ&t=71s

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

People died doing that too, they mention that in the video.

Crap, I guess I missed it. Still better than incinerating the entire crew.

Then there was the EOD disposing explosives by explosion in an air base that got someone killed.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Dude had better reaction times than a computer.

I think his reaction time was probably a negative number - he saw the bus, put his foot on the brake, and stared at the back corner of the bus as his speed gradually came down. He was already braking, his reaction was quantitative (apply more pressure) rather than qualitative (move foot to pedal) when his cynical / heroic mind saw the first hint of motion.

Still absolutely awesome, though. Volvo should put him in a simulator for a month and have their computer learn everything it can from him.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

oohhboy posted:

Crap, I guess I missed it. Still better than incinerating the entire crew.

Then there was the EOD disposing explosives by explosion in an air base that got someone killed.

Fragmentation from steel base plates is no joke. Frontal-and-overhead protection is mandatory for a reason.

http://nation.time.com/2011/03/09/monumental-air-force-fragmentary-stupidity/

As for fireworks, disposal by setting them off as intended is sketchy. You don't know the condition/quality of the explosives; They may not go off as intended, or go off in ways less safe than the burning or detonation methods used by most folks.

edit: fixed link.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 15, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: fireworks disposal, you need to think outside the explosion. Put them in a barrel, push the barrel off the side of a ship. Now it's the ocean's problem.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Re: fireworks disposal, you need to think outside the explosion. Put them in a barrel, push the barrel off the side of a ship. Now it's Poseidon's problem.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

ChickenHeart posted:

Fragmentation from steel base plates is no joke. Frontal-and-overhead protection is mandatory for a reason.

03/09/monumental-air-force-fragmentary-stupidity/

As for fireworks, disposal by setting them off as intended is sketchy. You don't know the condition/quality of the explosives; They may not go off as intended, or go off in ways less safe than the burning or detonation methods used by most folks.

Your link is broken, dude.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://nation.time.com/2011/03/09/monumental-air-force-fragmentary-stupidity/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PittTheElder posted:

Re: fireworks disposal, you need to think outside the explosion. Put them in a barrel, push the barrel off the side of a ship. Now it's the ocean's problem.

an old classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The gently caress is with that pseudo-star-wars text bullshit at the end?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Budget cuts are hitting hard :(

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

PittTheElder posted:

Static-inducing container; steel ship; you've just sent those underpaid workers to a watery grave, young man.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ExecuDork posted:

I think his reaction time was probably a negative number - he saw the bus, put his foot on the brake, and stared at the back corner of the bus as his speed gradually came down. He was already braking, his reaction was quantitative (apply more pressure) rather than qualitative (move foot to pedal) when his cynical / heroic mind saw the first hint of motion.

Still absolutely awesome, though. Volvo should put him in a simulator for a month and have their computer learn everything it can from him.

Sure, but I think the filming driver was flashing lights and honking as well, which probably helped to alert the driver early.

Also, it's common in driver's ed in Norway to teach keeping your foot on the brake when passing anywhere near a bus, because of exactly this kind of situation. Lots of narrow roads and dumb pedestrians. I very nearly failed my driving exam for passing a stopped bus too quickly, in a very similar situation.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I agree that it’s unlikely to slash or impale any particular person

dude driving on the interstate while trying to pass an 18 wheeler that's skirting the road lines with those loving spikes is one of the most nervewracking things

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Three-Phase posted:

Look just be glad you don’t need to install the stuff we had at work (5kV 500kcmil armored triplex). That cable has about the same diameter as a small coffee can. (That’s more under NESC - National Electrical Safety Code for high voltage installations.)
I'm guessing nuclear plant safety class? Emergency 4160 or something?

At the base I'm analyzing now there's two feeders with three sets of armored triplex 500mcm at 12.47kV going from a substation switchgear to a separate switchgear.

They have their own dedicated duct system. Looks hilariously overstuffed for just two feeders.

Pander fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This was actually good for the environment.

The lake is naturally alkaline, but runoff from agricultural irrigation raised the level of the lake and diluted it.

The sodium disposal pushed the lake’s chemistry something like 1% in the right direction, IIRC.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
H̵̞̥̤͇͓̖̤̮̃̾̈͌́͘͞Ȩ̨ͣ̇ͤ̾̑̃̒ͬ̐͋̇̈͟͏̪̪͓͙̮̭̦̦̩̘̙̗̤̣ͅ ̹͔̩͙͍ͪ͑̅ͮ̆ͥ̃͡Cͮͫ̐̓͒͏̶̶̶͓̪̹͕̮̫͉̟͎͙͎̦̠͜Ọ̲̥̲͎͚͉͈̼͓̈́͒͊ͭͮ̋͝M̸̨̭̳̫̞̿ͨ͌̆̈̓̒ͭ̿͋̔ͭ͋͒̀E̸̡̮̦̬̺̼͙̓̓̆̌̈ͭͨ̑͘ͅS̶̶̛͙̘̩̖̰̤̰̼̤̺̗̰͕̖ͩ̇̒ͣ͌́ͅ

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I'll be honest: I'm over the moon that they finally found a company to make a video about whose internal processes weren't absolute garbage, which apparently knew what it was doing, and which appeared to care for the wellbeing of the staff.

I clicked expecting "Workers were paraded into a giant electrified hamsterwheel to keep the coolant pumps operating, because right-to-work-state-that's-why, and then water levels rose and zapped them all". Instead got treated to competent decisions and sound thinking.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ITS ALIVE

The_end
May 17, 2014

My rear end in a top hat felt like that when i was racing home to take a poo poo.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

im guessing it's the entrance to a ponton bridge or pier that has been (badly) repaired?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Budget cuts are hitting hard :(

Still has that soothing narrator though.

More is less when it comes to safety and training videos- they clearly and consicely got the message across and they don't need to make it look like a Michael Bay film.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

I'm guessing nuclear plant safety class? Emergency 4160 or something?

At the base I'm analyzing now there's two feeders with three sets of armored triplex 500mcm at 12.47kV going from a substation switchgear to a separate switchgear.

They have their own dedicated duct system. Looks hilariously overstuffed for just two feeders.

3x 500kcmil at 12.7kV - pretty decent bit of power. I shot from the hip here - 35MVA? (35 megawatts at unity power factor)

The one very important thing about these HV cables is that for runs in a plant between equipment, the cables have to be armored and the conductors shielded. However once you are inside a piece of equipment, like a transformer, switchgear, or motor splice compartment, you can use unshielded cable. It’s basically just a conductor surrounded by very thick rubber.

The problem is that the unshielded conductors must be routed and treated as if they were bare since they don’t have any shielding. That means, ideally:
- One cable must not touch another cable
- One cable must not touch the side of a cabinet

I’ve seen multiple instances when working on equipment modifications and upgrades where HV cables were touching the side of the switchgear and there were these strange “burn marks” on the paint - we suspect corona discharge. Eventually the insulation will fail and you will get a phase-ground fault to the cabinet.

A couple of years ago we had a fault inside a switchgear. Small 10kV cable (like the ones for a neon sign) going from the potential transformer high-voltage fuses to the potential transformer (used to measure the bus voltage) sort-of vaporized. The wires were gone and in the cabinet we found burn marks and shredded outer jacket. There was a short (corona suspected) and the copper just vaporized. The high voltage fuses blew so that limited the physical damage.

The floor guys said there was “a loud pop”.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Forgot to post this awhile back.

These littler Merlin-Gerin breakers are rated to interrupt up to 10,000 amps of current. This is what can happen to a circuit breaker if you exceed the interrupting capability:

https://youtu.be/9_KrpSM1qZU

It’s the electrical equivalent of shooting a bulletproof vest with a fifty-caliber. (To be fair with a capacitor discharge that is DC which is much, much harder for a breaker to safely interrupt than AC.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 16, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Collateral Damage posted:

I really don't get why they were storing and keeping the black powder. If the goal was disposal, why not just burn it off continuously? Burning a handful of black powder at a time is (mostly) harmless. Storing a barrel full of it is just asking for a fatal explosion.

Or at the very least keep everything wet. There are so many simple ways this could have been avoided if they had just rubbed two brain cells together.

What I wanna know is why they didn't use the built-in mechanism for getting rid of fireworks and just put on a hell of a show. Or just soak 'em longer. Or ask literally anyone who had ever had to do this before how they went about it.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Three-Phase posted:

3x 500kcmil at 12.7kV - pretty decent bit of power. I shot from the hip here - 35MVA? (35 megawatts at unity power factor)

I mostly deal with ampacity (distribution studies focused on ampacity, short circuit, arc flash, and coordination) so I more care about its derated ampacity of 870A. The most any one feeder on that circuit had ever drawn was about 250 amps. I think that's about 18 MVA at unity (actual pf around 0.90 in the summer).

quote:

A couple of years ago we had a fault inside a switchgear. Small 10kV cable (like the ones for a neon sign) going from the potential transformer high-voltage fuses to the potential transformer (used to measure the bus voltage) sort-of vaporized. The wires were gone and in the cabinet we found burn marks and shredded outer jacket. There was a short (corona suspected) and the copper just vaporized. The high voltage fuses blew so that limited the physical damage.

The floor guys said there was “a loud pop”.
I always love opening transformers or switchgears and seeing nasty scorch marks on the door or terminals. SOMEBODY had a bad day at one point. Just kinda hoping it's never my day.